Not sure what to do - right ankle/foot swollen (only one ankle!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, we just came home from TN in the smoky mountains. On the 2nd day there we hiked a lot and I really stressed my body out. I noticed my ankle (right side) started to swell. Each morning it would be ok, but by mid morning just walking around very casually getting ready would cause it to swell. It pits some when I push on it. So we just drove home 7 hours (sitting the whole time) and now my foot/ankle looks even bigger. It isn't alarmingly large, but it's certainly noticeable. I took my BP on a store machine while we were gone and it was WAY high, but it was a forearm cuff, and it has been normal since on the home monitor. This is my third pregnancy and my first time with swelling so I'm not sure what the heck to do. I'm always anxious and of course anything odd or out of the norm freaks me out. Swelling in one ankle/foot has me on edge. Any ideas? I did call the OB's office while gone and they said I could go to the local L&D to be checked out and rest on my left side but I opted to get a monitor and like I said, BP has been fine since. I would think a clot would have other symptoms....then again, I'm not sure! Any input? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM

I spent a week in Disneyland with my family a couple of weeks ago and we did a LOT of walking.  I'm not swollen in general, but after a fair amount of walking (like halfway through the day) my feel were always at least slightly swollen.  They were always back to normal after a good night's sleep.

I also had swelling in my feet when I was pg with DS and it was never a problem.  My BP has always been very normal and my OB never even bats an eye when I have slight swelling. 

I wouldn't worry unless your BP starts to climb as well. I would say just drink lots of water and sit with your feet elevated above your heart (if possible) for as long as possible and I bet the swelling will go down.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#3 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 PM

Have you ever injured it in the past? I tore a ligament in my right ankle when I was 16 and to this day (I'm 26) it will still swell when I run.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#4 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 04:01 PM

Does the baby tend to sit on that side more? That can make circulation harder. If you have pitting, you go to your doctor, don't mess around with it. If it's just normal swelling, it can help to gentle pull (just the skin, a light touch) from hip to belly button. Feels relaxing and gently moves things enough to help with circulation sometimes :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#5 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Does the baby tend to sit on that side more? That can make circulation harder. If you have pitting, you go to your doctor, don't mess around with it. If it's just normal swelling, it can help to gentle pull (just the skin, a light touch) from hip to belly button. Feels relaxing and gently moves things enough to help with circulation sometimes :)

Why is the pitting such a big deal? I haven't found much information on it, other than it seems to be more concerning than non pitting edema. I did mention it to the nurse, but she didn't comment. And yes, it's still pitting. It doesn't last long, but I can certainly see a dent (play-doh ankle) for a little bit.

No injury that I have ever been aware of, though like I said, we were hiking a lot. The first day we hiked to the top of the mountain and I couldn't breathe - I had to stop like every 1-2 minutes. The swelling started after that.

Baby is back and forth. He initially seemed to be on the right side more, but now I feel his bottom on both sides t/o the day.

Ugh.
#6 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Why is the pitting such a big deal? I haven't found much information on it, other than it seems to be more concerning than non pitting edema. I did mention it to the nurse, but she didn't comment. And yes, it's still pitting. It doesn't last long, but I can certainly see a dent (play-doh ankle) for a little bit.

No injury that I have ever been aware of, though like I said, we were hiking a lot. The first day we hiked to the top of the mountain and I couldn't breathe - I had to stop like every 1-2 minutes. The swelling started after that.

Baby is back and forth. He initially seemed to be on the right side more, but now I feel his bottom on both sides t/o the day.

Ugh.

http://www.natural-pregnancy-mentor.com/edema-during-pregnancy.html

I was explaining about it, but I looked up for resources and didn't find what I expected! :)

It's a big more dramatic, the pitting. I take it much more seriously (I will not massage that body part if I find pitted edema, and I send people to the doctor about it to get okayed before touching them again :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#7 of 11 Old 06-24-2011, 08:00 PM

That sounds more like you may have in injured it slightly.  I find any little hurt I get seems worse now.  I'd keep an eye on it, and maybe see about going to the regular Dr.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#8 of 11 Old 06-25-2011, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

That sounds more like you may have in injured it slightly.  I find any little hurt I get seems worse now.  I'd keep an eye on it, and maybe see about going to the regular Dr.

It doesn't hurt at all, but that's the conclusion my husband came to as well.... I did put a lot of strain on my body as a whole during that time. It's almost gone each morning (like now) but this morning I can still find some areas that pit. I have an OB appt on Tuesday, so we'll see what they say.
#9 of 11 Old 06-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

2 weeks ago when we did Disney for a day my ankles swelled. The right one was much worse then the left, it was pitting edema, and so bad that I couldn't barely wear flip flops! I had to force them on my feet, mostly just on the R. It was better the next day, but then we had to fly home, OMG, they swelled even more. And the  next day after that, my L was almost back to normal, but my R foot was still huge. It took a few days, gradually every day the swelling got better and better and then it was gone. Nothing since. This is my 4th and I've never experienced swelling in the past either. I'm chalking it up to just putting way too much demand on my body that is already taxed. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 03:26 AM

Veggie--

I have the same problem, told my doctor, and no one seems to be concerned so I'm not either anymore.  My pitting edema started Memorial Day Weekend, it was SUPER hot here and we were at about 4 bbqs that weekend.  Mine is also SO much worse on one side, and I think it's because the baby favors laying on that side.  I totally panicked and went to a local supermarket to take my blood pressure and it was normal.  From the reading I have done, and how people have reacted when I told them about it, I feel like it's only a bad thing if you have other symptoms.  Otherwise, it's just another pregnancy thing to deal with.  I've tried laying with my feet above my heart (helps), ice packs (helps a little), foot rubs going rubbing upwards towards your knees (helps), etc. 

Danielle (29)reading.gif married to my best friend Lou guitar.gif since 9/10/10 stillheart.gif ,mama to Ada Adelleenergy.gif since 8/5/11, and expecting a new addition around 4/19/14 stork-boy.gif
#11 of 11 Old 06-27-2011, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

I feel better after hearing your experiences! I truly think that bp reading I got that was really high was due to severe anxiety over it all. Once it was that high, it took a lot to bring it down. Then after I started monitoring it myself it was normal again. My OB appt. is tomorrow so I'll see what she says. My ankle is a heck of a lot better now, just a tiny bit swollen! Ah, the joys of pregnancy in the HOT SUMMER!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page