Where To Buy Honey Sticks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know where I can find Honey Sticks/Straws? I want flavored ones! I saw some in a Walgreens when we were traveling but we don't have them here in OH at Walgreens. Whole Foods nor Trader Joe's has them either. I was looking on Amazon, but all of the ones with free shipping with Prime are not the flavors I'm looking for. Any ideas? We do have some other health food stores around that I may try calling, but I thought for sure that Whole Foods would have them! I've heard they are good to have while in labor - I am going to need something other than a sucker this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 03:55 PM

Do you have a local farmers market? I know ours has several people who sell honey sticks.

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#3 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 PM

I was going to suggest Whole Foods- I can't believe they don't have them.

I know here in Austin, Central Market has them- but that doesn't do you much good up in Ohio.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#4 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 04:16 PM

Here's an online retailer I found- they seem to have pretty good prices-
http://www.ebeehoney.com/Honey-Straws-Stix.html

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#5 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 PM

Hmm, I always seem them near the register at my local HFS...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I'll try the local Farmers Market. If not, I'll probably have to order some online. Shipping is ridiculous! Our little town doesn't have a health food store but I'm in Columbus all the time - I am just not sure if I want to hit up every HFS! Maybe I'll call a few tomorrow. The Walgreens in TN had watermelon flavored!
#7 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've only ever seen them at amusement parks or pumpkin patches/orchards in the fall. 

I was never too much a fan of them. Don't like honey on it's own, but love it added to things. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#8 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly - I'd rather be able to eat something like an apple or banana or something with natural sugar, but last time I was in the hospital they'd only let me have ice chips. Ridiculous. I eventually had a sucker because I was shaking from hunger. I have no clue how this labor will be, or how long I'll have to be in L&D, so I want to have something with me that is not solid food but that can bring my sugar up (I have big time issues with passing out when my blood sugar is low!). I'm pretty vocal though, I can imagine them yelling at me for eating but what can they really do?
#9 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM

I'm also surprised that Whole Foods didn't carry them. Did you by chance ask anyone there, because sometimes they put them in random places like by the register or by the candy (not by the honey). I've also had good luck with having WF order things for me. 

Even though I always called it Whole Paycheck, I still have such fond memories.... I wish there was one nearby me! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#10 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Thanks guys! I'll try the local Farmers Market. If not, I'll probably have to order some online. Shipping is ridiculous! Our little town doesn't have a health food store but I'm in Columbus all the time - I am just not sure if I want to hit up every HFS! Maybe I'll call a few tomorrow. The Walgreens in TN had watermelon flavored!

If you can't find them locally, let me know because at my farmer's market they carry about 20 different flavors (including watermelon!) and they're SUPER cheap! I could just pop them in an envelope to you and it would be less than $10 for at least 20 of them plus shipping :)

#11 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by openpollination View Post

If you can't find them locally, let me know because at my farmer's market they carry about 20 different flavors (including watermelon!) and they're SUPER cheap! I could just pop them in an envelope to you and it would be less than $10 for at least 20 of them plus shipping :)

Sweet! Thanks so much for offering - I might take you up on that if I can't find them locally. smile.gif

Cat - I actually called them. He knew right away that they didn't carry them. I told him it must just be a local thing because I know other Whole Foods carry them. Ours is a half hour away so I didn't want to make a trip just for that. Though it wouldn't be just for that of course. I can't seem to make it out of there EVER w/o spending a load of $$!
#12 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 10:48 PM

Cat - I actually called them. He knew right away that they didn't carry them. I told him it must just be a local thing because I know other Whole Foods carry them. Ours is a half hour away so I didn't want to make a trip just for that. Though it wouldn't be just for that of course. I can't seem to make it out of there EVER w/o spending a load of $$!

We call is Whole Paycheck in our house ROTFLMAO.giffor the same reason. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#13 of 18 Old 06-26-2011, 10:52 PM

Totally OT, but I thought some of you would like this video about Whole Foods. My favorite line is "paid $80 for six things and got out..."

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#14 of 18 Old 06-27-2011, 10:49 AM

I have used http://www.englishteastore.com/honey-sticks-english-tea-store.html in the past. It ended up being cheaper for me that way, but only because they were willing to ship to an APO address and my husband was in Afghanistan at the time.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#15 of 18 Old 07-01-2011, 06:53 PM

I'm going to the farmer's market tomorrow, would you like me to pick you up some? :)

#16 of 18 Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by openpollination View Post

I'm going to the farmer's market tomorrow, would you like me to pick you up some? :)

Thank you so much for offering! I ended up finding some that were raspberry flavored and they came in packs of FIFTY! So I think I'm all set now. smile.gif
#17 of 18 Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM

I'm glad it all worked out for you!! I was inspired to add some of the honey sticks to my basket of homebirth supplies because you mentioned them. I think it will be a really nice addition for quick energy.

#18 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 09:04 AM

I picked up some at the farmers market this morning for my labor bag too... sounded like a really good idea...

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page