Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2011, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

check this out too

.... how to fold a tshirt to make a diaper....

def great in an emergency....or any other time ;)

http://www.cloth-diapers-made-easy.com/the-no-sew-tshirt-diaper.html

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencarnation View Post

Does anyone still use the vinyl kind?  The old style Gerber things?  As part of my emergency diaper plan (if no one buys me any, and we have to go super cheap at first) I was thinking about getting a set of three of those, and knitting three soakers.  I don't think I can make more than that, and I remember using the old covers on my sibs.  They are ugly as can be, but they work okay.

That's what I'm getting from my mom.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:51 AM

Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial for tie on fleece diaper covers? I have 3 different fleece blankets I bought cheap that would be perfect for such a thing. Also sounds like they'd hold up well and since fleece doesn't fray when cut or washed, and would be a quick item to whip up!

Also Does anyone make their own prefolds by chance? 

We are planning to go as cheap as we can without compromising quality. I'm going with prefolds, and Bummis super whisper wraps. I found them on amazon in all sizes and they aren't to expensive.  We plan to order them the end of the month. I would love to find the gerber prefolds/flats locally though to try out and see if they work well for us. If so that would save us a bit since I wouldn't have to pay shipping. 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

Old 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM

I have made prefolds -- I ordered the Birds Eye Diaper Twill fabric, and they were not hard to make, just a bit of math/brain work to figure out the optimal way to fold to get the finished size you want!

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_prefolds.html

That is a link to a way to sew 'prefolds' that are not really true prefolds, but will do the trick with any fabric you've got.

Real prefolds are one WIDE piece, folded to be thick in the middle, and thinner on the sides, like this tutorial:

http://verybaby.com/tutorials/sew-a-prefold-diaper-the-real-way/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinbopbop View Post

Does anyone have a link to a good tutorial for tie on fleece diaper covers? I have 3 different fleece blankets I bought cheap that would be perfect for such a thing. Also sounds like they'd hold up well and since fleece doesn't fray when cut or washed, and would be a quick item to whip up!

Also Does anyone make their own prefolds by chance? 

We are planning to go as cheap as we can without compromising quality. I'm going with prefolds, and Bummis super whisper wraps. I found them on amazon in all sizes and they aren't to expensive.  We plan to order them the end of the month. I would love to find the gerber prefolds/flats locally though to try out and see if they work well for us. If so that would save us a bit since I wouldn't have to pay shipping. 

~SynEpona~
Old 07-03-2011, 08:43 PM

I love diapering cheaply. Our first diapers were 30 FuzziBunz and I thought with the cost they would be diapers I could use for all my kids. NOT. They lasted a whole 8 months on ONE child before snaps started popping off, legs started wicking and elastic started wearing out. I was horrified!

I have never been interested in prefolds because, quite honestly, I don't like the look of snappis (they look uber uncomfy to me) and I despise pins. I also hate all fitted covers like wraps and things with Velcro or snaps or leg gussets, etc, because *to me* they don't look comfy on a baby. They look too restricting.

So....I use Disana tie nappies. $18 for three of them, and we have 18 diapers. They are some of the most amazing diapers I've ever used! They look so....natural. And comfy. And they are so soft and wash SO easily, though to avoid tangles you have to wash about 3 diapers per garment bag. And they dry in less than one cycle!!! Since discovering them (I've used FBunz, BGs, Snugglebottoms, Cricketts, Motherease Sandys) I have no desire to ever try anything else again. And they look super cute on.

For covers I use Bummis Whisper Pants (better than Gerber vinyl but still very thin under clothing, very waterproof, very cheap and very comfy) or my Kissa Lover Wool Soaker. LOVE that soaker!

That's it. And the tie nappies fit baby right away at only 7 pounds, and they are supposed to go up to 30 pounds. Right now she doesn't need a doubler in them (at four months old) but she will as she gets older.

A Google pic of the tie nappy....NOT my baby!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/govdoc_library_lady/3605521340/

Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 PM

I've been looking for a tie on cover pattern. If anyone knows of one free or paid please let me know! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

I have made prefolds -- I ordered the Birds Eye Diaper Twill fabric, and they were not hard to make, just a bit of math/brain work to figure out the optimal way to fold to get the finished size you want!

http://fernandfaerie.com/sewing_prefolds.html

That is a link to a way to sew 'prefolds' that are not really true prefolds, but will do the trick with any fabric you've got.

Real prefolds are one WIDE piece, folded to be thick in the middle, and thinner on the sides, like this tutorial:

http://verybaby.com/tutorials/sew-a-prefold-diaper-the-real-way/

Thanks so much! I have bookmarked both links! I think this will be very handy! :) 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 PM

I have SEEN a triangle cover pattern, but have no idea where .... it was for wool sweaters, but I imagine it would work for fleece too ... a triangle with ties on 2 points, and 2 button holes on the 3rd point. I think when worn the button hole point was taller than the waist in the front, then folded down & the ties when through it (so it wrapped over the ties). I didn't really love the idea, so I didn't save the tutorial!

I think you could make any cover a tie cover with a similar concept -- reduce the overlapping front tabs a bit, add ties, put a button hole or two in the center front to put the strings through to keep the front from falling down ...

I almost always use my fitted diaper patterns as cover patterns, so if you have any fitted pattern to start with, try that first. I think you'll want some sort of elastic in the legs at least though, for good fit (and effective containment!)

~SynEpona~
Old 07-05-2011, 04:38 AM

I found ways to never spend a penny on diapers. When DD was born, my mother bought her two packages of Gerber prefolds which I LOVE despite how much everyone complains about them. They were sufficiently absorbent for my daughter and when she got bigger, they were thin enough for me to double them up. They never wore out and best of all, they dried on the line super fast!

In addition, we were a low income family and qualified for free cloth diapers through a program which accepts donations and then loans full sets of cloth diapers and covers out for 6 months at a time. We only had to pay for the shipping. Check The Cloth Diaper Foundation to see if you qualify: http://www.clothdiaperfoundation.org

After that period, I was always able to get diapers and covers for free. I have an Etsy shop and plenty of moms asked to trade one or two of their handmade diapers or covers for my own work. The shipping was included and as I am a graphic designer, there was no expense on my part.

Where I live, you drive your rubbish to the dump. Our dump also has a reuse center which takes items that still have some use left in them and people can just come and take what is left if they want it. While digging through a huge box of clothes one day, I found one dozen Fuzzi Bunz diapers! Oh, joy! The elastic in the legs was shot, but they otherwise looked brand new and unused. I looked online to find how to replace the elastic and the next day, I had a dozen pocket diapers and inserts.

I also have a friend who makes cloth diapers and covers and whenever she needed something done, we would make a trade. You can also find cloth diapers for free on MDC and on Craigslist if you search in your area. Sometimes they are cheap, sometimes they are free. If you can do very simple work with a needle and thread, even better.

Through two years of diapering, I never had to spend one cent! Now that we are expecting our second, I have many friends that cloth diaper who know that we are too low-income to buy and they have offered us their children's old cloth diapers and covers so we'll be set for the newborn sizes that we had to borrow before.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 AM

My wife was Hawaiian born, I was a romantic Brit. When we had our firstborn, becoming concerned about the waste in disposables, and trying to live as cheaply as possible I found a cube of polystyrene on the beach. I took it home, cut a deep hole in it and made an old tofu tray to slide in and out of the bottom. rather like a bird cage design.

Padded it and also covered it with a pretty fabric, sat my daughter on it in the sling. I had lined it with toilet paper and whenever she pooped and peed it was a simple matter to empty it. Later i found a blow up potty seat that was designed for using for older children in a car. That worked very well, and whenever I took my daughter out that was what I used. My wife was not too comfortable with it so we only saved using diapers half of the time. I wondering if anyone else had tried such a solution to the waste involved in  diapering?

Old 07-05-2011, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Um, you ladies are my heroes!   I struggle with being frugal. One day I added up the amount I spent on cloth diapering. Granted, I didn't know what I was doing and bought a lot of "trail and error" stuff before figuring out what works.  It was close to $1000. Holy. Crap. I nearly died.  It's hard for me to even admit! However, now that I've done that damage I do have a really nice stash that will be useful for the next few babies.  But I just gotta say, you ladies are AWESOME  to find the bargains, do your own sewing, knitting, handwashing in bathtubs.... I'm in awe :)  High fives to all of you. I will strive to be more like you all. 

Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Hahaha I feel exactly the same way!!!!! I'm trying so hard not to go overboard and get things for free (like on www.freecycle.org) or for cheap (by reading all of these posts to try and find others keen deals, thankyou!).  We are starting with disposables because of our living situation but I keep buying different cloth options so I can see which ones I like best....  I shudder to think about how much I've spent on the combination!  and really really hope that the bits and pieces will pay out in the long run! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

Um, you ladies are my heroes!   I struggle with being frugal. One day I added up the amount I spent on cloth diapering. Granted, I didn't know what I was doing and bought a lot of "trail and error" stuff before figuring out what works.  It was close to $1000. Holy. Crap. I nearly died.  It's hard for me to even admit! However, now that I've done that damage I do have a really nice stash that will be useful for the next few babies.  But I just gotta say, you ladies are AWESOME  to find the bargains, do your own sewing, knitting, handwashing in bathtubs.... I'm in awe :)  High fives to all of you. I will strive to be more like you all. 

First time mama!  belly.gif
Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Rayner, ec isn't quite like that, but it is a solutuion to diapers for families who chose to practice it without diapers. The basic idea is that babies use the bathroom at certain times of day and they give signals you can learn to notice before they go and simply take them to the toilet or potty when they need to go.

Regarding tie on fleece covers,I used a tie diaper pattern, but fleece and only one layer and shorter. And I puT the ties in the front. I don't thnk I have any pics left. Realy simple, tho. Just wider in the back, narrower in the front.

Ill make one in a couple of days to show you. You could put elastic in the legs but I never did, just kind of folded the extra material in so it worked like a gusset.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

Rayner, ec isn't quite like that, but it is a solutuion to diapers for families who chose to practice it without diapers. The basic idea is that babies use the bathroom at certain times of day and they give signals you can learn to notice before they go and simply take them to the toilet or potty when they need to go.

Regarding tie on fleece covers,I used a tie diaper pattern, but fleece and only one layer and shorter. And I puT the ties in the front. I don't thnk I have any pics left. Realy simple, tho. Just wider in the back, narrower in the front.

Ill make one in a couple of days to show you. You could put elastic in the legs but I never did, just kind of folded the extra material in so it worked like a gusset.

Love to see a pic of the fleece covers! This sounds like a great idea!

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:59 AM

It's ok, for me being frugal with cloth has been learned slowly over the years.  For my dd1 I (after hours of research) bought an "everything but the kitchen sink" diaper package for almost $400 from a MDC wahm.  Well long story short, she ripped me and and bunch of other MDC moms off.  All I got in the mail was some cloth wipes and other useless junk.  Definitely not what I had bought and paid for!  So by that point I was completely overwhelmed and frustrated by cloth diapers.  So we just bought a complete, brand new fuzzi bunz stash (which is not cheap!)  I was able to resell the smalls to buy medium fuzzibunz and so on.  But we definitely overspent on cloth for or first baby.  It's not something that I worry much about though.  Still probably saved some money, still was kinder on mother earth, and I got to support small businesses.  All seems like a win to me. :) And I have learned tons since then and can now be frugal with (and enjoy) prefolds, fitteds, and other cheap options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infojunkie View Post

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 07-05-2011, 10:51 AM

For my baby shower I recieved a good amount of prefolded cloth diapers and pins. I intended to use them as soon as my son was born. He turned 8 months and I am just now starting to use them! (Gasp) He is currently wearing size six in disposable diapers. It is frustrating because this is the biggest sized diaper and my son is still growing. Many of the cloth diapers I have also run on the smaller size and I feel that my folding technique is not being utilized to it's fullest potential. LOL Does anyone know about a larger sized cloth diaper availiable in stores? And is there a safer pin that I can use? Thanks.2whistle.gif

Old 07-05-2011, 11:58 AM

I don't know about larger size diapers, but instead of using pins, try a Snappi! They are quick and easy to use. http://www.snappibaby.com/products/snappidiaperfastener.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabiiAdriian View Post

For my baby shower I recieved a good amount of prefolded cloth diapers and pins. I intended to use them as soon as my son was born. He turned 8 months and I am just now starting to use them! (Gasp) He is currently wearing size six in disposable diapers. It is frustrating because this is the biggest sized diaper and my son is still growing. Many of the cloth diapers I have also run on the smaller size and I feel that my folding technique is not being utilized to it's fullest potential. LOL Does anyone know about a larger sized cloth diaper availiable in stores? And is there a safer pin that I can use? Thanks.2whistle.gif

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 07-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Oh my goodness! These are great! Thank you so much. I knew that there had to be something better than thosem pins! OUCH

Old 07-05-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

I have SEEN a triangle cover pattern, but have no idea where .... it was for wool sweaters, but I imagine it would work for fleece too ... a triangle with ties on 2 points, and 2 button holes on the 3rd point. I think when worn the button hole point was taller than the waist in the front, then folded down & the ties when through it (so it wrapped over the ties). I didn't really love the idea, so I didn't save the tutorial!

I think you could make any cover a tie cover with a similar concept -- reduce the overlapping front tabs a bit, add ties, put a button hole or two in the center front to put the strings through to keep the front from falling down ...

I almost always use my fitted diaper patterns as cover patterns, so if you have any fitted pattern to start with, try that first. I think you'll want some sort of elastic in the legs at least though, for good fit (and effective containment!)

That does make sense and I have a few of those book marked I think. I will have to check but I KNOW I've seen them in my hunt. I'm also considering buying one diaper cover that ties on and making a pattern from it just for myself. I just don't see any reason to spend a TON of money on something I can make myself it I have the right info. And since I have 0 cloth diapers right now I'd be adding a bit to my stash too. :) 
I hope to purchase our diapers at the end of the month so well have them in time even if baby Girl decides to come a bit early. :) 

Old 07-05-2011, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

DDCC-

I haven't read all the replies yet but here's what I did. I go 24 prefolds and a few covers from my baby shower. Plus, a few 2nd hand AIOs from a friend as a gift.

I bought $30 worth of 2nd hand woolies (5 hand made longies!) and $35 worth of 2nd hand bumgenius and fuzzibunz. A friend gave a bunch of BG and a bunch more prefolds. 

So, I spent $65. Oh, and bought a wool skirtie for 15.

I sold 10 BG for $85. So, I've made $5 profit.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:13 AM

triangle butt sweater

http://www.borntolove.com/frugal-column2.html

katrinas longie and shorties

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2007/10/free-soaker-pattern.html

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

Old 07-06-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you so much for these links! They look like something even I can handle! I don't have a sewing machine, but they seem like they can be sewn fairly easily by hand.

Question about the fleece: I'm not familiar with the absorbancy of fleece. Does it need a liner or something, or have you only worked with the wool?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

triangle butt sweater

Old 07-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Thanks so much! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

triangle butt sweater

Old 07-06-2011, 08:42 AM

From what I read yesterday in my hunt It seems the fleece work best if the diaper underneath is changed at least every 4 hours. But it also depends on the type of fleece. It's not meant really to absorb but more to protect the clothing from the wetness of the diaper itself. Though apparently some types of fleece do absorb a bit. I'm sure a more experienced momma can correct me if I'm wrong. :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

Thank you so much for these links! They look like something even I can handle! I don't have a sewing machine, but they seem like they can be sewn fairly easily by hand.

Question about the fleece: I'm not familiar with the absorbancy of fleece. Does it need a liner or something, or have you only worked with the wool?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 AM

http://www.greenbabybargains.com/ 

Pull on pants on green baby bargains today!  $6.50 a pop.  I'm assuming this is a decent deal since they are $14.95reg.  So, I thought I'd let you all know if you havent seen it already :-)

First time mama!  belly.gif
Old 07-06-2011, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I used a variety of prefolds - dsq Gerbers, and chinese prefolds.  No more than $1.50 a diaper.  Had a stash of seconds prowraps, a few bummies pull ons and gerber pull ons (my babies did just fine in these).  For wipes I got washcloths for $4 for 2 dozen.  Used water.  I used mostly pins and a couple of snappies on my last one.

My friend gave me her stash of  motherese and I won't lie.  They were  nice.  

I tie dyed, and fabric painted and we had some pretty cute stuff.  Honestly though, I think a plain white prefold is pretty dang cute.

And since I did not have anything fancy my washing routien was also very simple.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:

From what I read yesterday in my hunt It seems the fleece work best if the diaper underneath is changed at least every 4 hours. But it also depends on the type of fleece. It's not meant really to absorb but more to protect the clothing from the wetness of the diaper itself. Though apparently some types of fleece do absorb a bit. I'm sure a more experienced momma can correct me if I'm wrong. :) 

polyester fleece doesn't absorb moisture, so it prevents wetness from coming out of the diaper onto everything else. Fleece can leak if it's compressed, but I never had that issue. Thin fleece can be used between the baby and the diaper as a feel dry layer. The pee goes through in a forceful stream, gets caught by the diaper and the thicker fleece keeps the wet in.

I loved fleece for overnight once my kids were only peeing once a night (never tried it before that age) but generally I like to change my kids way more often than every 4 hours. Just seems like the nice thing to do.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
Old 07-06-2011, 03:13 PM

There are lots of different kinds of fleece ...

The fleece like a good outdoor sweater is best for diaper covers, it may be labelled as windpro, wind proof, water resistant etc. You usually have to order this from a good outdoor fabric supplier.

The regular fleece you find at your local fabric store, is normally a bit on the thin side for covers, but works well if you double up in the 'wetzone'.

The 'natural' fleeces, like bamboo or cotton fleece, or the 'sweatshirt' fleece, are absorbant, perfect inside a diaper, but not for the cover!

Microfleece (thinner, often only fuzzy on one side) is a wicking fabric, so it's good next to skin to keep baby's tushie dry. Again, this often needs to be ordered online, most Fabricland, Joann Fabrics type stores do not have it.

Regardless of the cover type, I would pretty much always change well before 4 hours ... just seems icky not to (exceptions made for sleeping babies... I don't wake to change unless we're battling a rash or something). When you consider that an average newborn is going through 12 diapers a day, that's about every 2 hours. Even when DS was 18mth or so, he was still about 8 dipes a day, and most of those during his waking hours ... so 7 diapers in 12-15 hours, and one overnight ... he was dry overnight from a very young age!

~SynEpona~
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraf View Post

polyester fleece doesn't absorb moisture, so it prevents wetness from coming out of the diaper onto everything else. Fleece can leak if it's compressed, but I never had that issue. Thin fleece can be used between the baby and the diaper as a feel dry layer. The pee goes through in a forceful stream, gets caught by the diaper and the thicker fleece keeps the wet in.

I loved fleece for overnight once my kids were only peeing once a night (never tried it before that age) but generally I like to change my kids way more often than every 4 hours. Just seems like the nice thing to do.

I agree it's much better to change more than that. :) That's why I said at least. I personally plan to the best of my ability to change every time baby is wet or dirty. I think it makes for more diapers, but I know many who say that it is better in the long run for potty training. And I also just wouldn't want to sit in my own pee or poo so why would baby you know? 

Quote:
The regular fleece you find at your local fabric store, is normally a bit on the thin side for covers, but works well if you double up in the 'wetzone'.

What if it's doubled everywhere? would that still be ok? I am thinking for the covers I want to make 2 layers would be best for wear, (they'd hold up better). For a newborn would one layer or two be best? I know they go a lot but its also small from what I understand. Recomendations? 

Old 07-06-2011, 06:08 PM

I only used wool sweater not fleece, but you can't go wrong by cutting up a thick old fleece jacket...

Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:

What if it's doubled everywhere? would that still be ok? I am thinking for the covers I want to make 2 layers would be best for wear, (they'd hold up better). For a newborn would one layer or two be best? I know they go a lot but its also small from what I understand. Recomendations?

Doubled all over probably isn't needed for newborns, they wet so frequently and such a small amount. Plus, doubled all over gets really bulky, and cloth diapered babies have enough problems fitting in clothes!

Fleece covers in my experience do not wear out very much at all, they do get pilly when they are cheaper fleece, but doubling won't change that at all. My fave fleece covers are pull on, with a peanut shaped double layer in the wet zone ( think like a whole peanut shell, that sort of fat in the middle figure eight). Not too bulky, and they worked well for DS at 12-18mths (I only had one fleece cover in NB size, and it was alright, but we preferred the PUL ones with gussets!).

~SynEpona~

User Tag List