Anyone else going cheap when it comes to cloth diapering? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I remember wanting to cloth diaper my DS, but putting it off for a few months because everything seemed so expensive, even used. At least they were out of my budget. Back then I posted a thread in the diapering forum about cloth diapering inexpensively. I know the idea is that you will save over the long run by not having to purchase disposables and that cloth diapers have a good resale value, but I think it's the initial investment that I find to be overwhelming. I think they're super duper cute and great for people who can afford them. But for the rest of us?

Mamas recommended diaper service quality prefolds or flats and some super inexpensive Dappi covers. (We're talking $2-2.50 each.) I use cloth wipes. I actually bought some online, but they frayed very quickly and the ones that didn't are just super small. I find that my favorite cloth wipe is just a simple wash cloth, so I bought a huge pack of them for $4 to use for that purpose. And, honestly, I don't mind going cheap at all. Sure, my DS's diapers aren't cute, but they're functional and going cheap enables me to cloth diaper.

I replied to a thread recently where someone was questioning flats, and I was reminded that the only diaper threads I've seen were for the ones (super cute) that I can't afford. I'm very happy for those who can, of course. But is anyone else here with me? innocent.gif

#2 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are doing Sunbaby all in twos. They're $108 for 24 diapers and inserts. I don't know how well they will hold up over time, but my SIL ordered some for her little boy and they fit him great when he was like 3 months old, I don't know if they would fit smaller, she didn't get them til he was 3 mos, but she had no leaks/ staining and no complaints, she loved them, so that's the route we are going. I know they're from China and I usually try to buy USA products, but the business is run by a famill, 2 people do everything, so I don't feel too bad about buying them. They're great quality and super cheap and they have a ton of cute prints to choose from :D

http://www.sunbabydiapers.com/product.php?id_product=21

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
#3 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM

Yes, I am doing cloth mostly because they are cheaper in the long run.  I love the other benefits too, but money is a biggie for us.

I am asking for Fuzzibuns one size pocket diapers starter set and the Swaddlebees Econobums 2IO set for my shower.

If no one gets them for me (which I am starting to worry about as so far only my mum has bought anything!)  I have a back up plan to use cheapie prefolds and sew/knit soakers.  Then I will probably add Swaddlebees slowly as we have money.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#4 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 10:57 AM

Most of my stash is prefolds :) and I got over 1/2 of them in coops, for about 1$ each.

I did 'splurge' on a few fitteds here and there, b/c they work with the covers we've already got! I sew most of our covers, and then buy Thirsties when I get sick of sewing covers.

I think total, for DS, I spent less than 120$ for 3 years worth of diapers, most of which have been shared with my sister & 2 friends since then.

I bought this baby 5 cute diapers ... b/c I could, and b/c I like supporting local WAHMs. I made ONE cute fitted, and then remembered how much I hate sewing diapers!

Wool ... that's where I tend to spend more! But even so, I've only paid 'full price' for one pair of longies ever. I worked out trades for many of them, and when I spend full price on the yarn, I get the knitting done for free ... I'm blessed to have a good friend of my parents who loves to knit!

We definitely choose cloth for the savings, so buying up the trendiest diapers is not part of my game plan!

~SynEpona~
#5 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Money was really tight when we had DS, so we went with the really cheap Gerber Premium Prefolds (4 dozen) 3 snappi fasteners and 3 Econobum one size covers. We later added 3 more Econobum covers, 3 more snappi fasteners and 1 dozen Econobum prefolds. I have to admit I never use the thicker Econobum prefolds, as the Gerber ones work so well for us. When DS was about 8 or 9 months we added a few pocket diapers for using over night, as he will sleep for 12 hours straight most nights.

Cost for us

Gerber Prefolds approx $60 for 4 dozen (using a Target gift card, so nothing to us)

3 Snappi fastners & 3 Econobum covers from Cotton Babies approx $30 (if I remember correctly)

initial set up cost $90 (or there about)

Additional prefolds, covers & fasteners approx $50

5 Pocket Diapers approximately $80

Total we have spent in 13 months of cloth diapering $220, and we don't even use everything we have.

This time around I'm making some extra newborn sized diapers so we don't have to use any disposables, all made from recycled fabric (mostly old clothes)

I'm also knitting wool soakers, and got the wool for less than $2 a ball and 1 ball makes a newborn size soaker with wool to spare, so the cost for these is minimal.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#6 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 11:06 AM

DDC-crashing...

I couldn't spend full price on cloth either. I scoured craigslist over the past couple of months and found mamas selling their gently used covers at great prices, for instance, I got 5 Bummis size small for $25. Then I happened to catch the "thirds" sale on GMD so I got two dozen GMD yellow-edge for $15/dz. I did register for some cloth diaper supplies so my sister bought me two sets of the Flip system. I also received 2 BG 4.0 OS and my friend bought me two Thirsties Duo covers.

If I hadn't gotten the Flip system then I would have purchased flats to save money. Once DD outgrows the GMD yellow-edge, I'll probably buy some flats or hope to catch another "seconds" or "thirds" sale on GMD.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#7 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 11:52 AM

We're doing flats and prefolds. 

I have registered for a couple all in ones, but we won't be buying them if nobody else does. 

I will be doing the cute covers, because I really want something cute, and we can afford at least a bit. All of our big expenses have been bought for us. (Crib, car seat, stroller, etc.)

Making wipes out of old T-shirts I never wear or have holes in them.

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#8 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 12:49 PM

I did spend money on pockets with DD1, i got FuzziBunz and BG (the original, this was 5 years ago). The FB I was able to resell at a decent price, but the BG did not hold up through 2 kids even in a large rotation. I have replaced elastic in a few and am now selling the rest really cheap because they need new elastic. I bought them with the thought that they would last through several kids and we would save a ton, I think they are really meant to only be used through diapering one child.

I highly recommend just going the cheap road (they poop and pee all over them for goodness sake!), I like my prefolds and I have tried various covers, but really like Bummis. I keep my eye out for good deals on plain white covers or used ones. My Bummis so far have been fine through both girls and I plan to use them again. A few of my prefolds have needed to be replaced, but most of them have held up well. I have to admit I got a great deal on Kissaluv fitted diapers before DD1 was born and I love those, they get out grown pretty fast, but I love them. The prefolds are just as functional though.

I do knit my own covers also, so that is a money savings.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#9 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 02:52 PM

We are going the cheap route too when it come to cloth diapering. I don't think we've paid more than $5 a diaper so far

So far we have
(all from Craigslist)
5 Small Blueberries- $25
7 fuzzibunz (few small and xs)- $35
5 small Green Acre Design- $25
5 Small Swaddlebees- $25

We also ordered a huge lot of eBay that had 47 diapers in it for $100, but when I got here I ended up not caring for some of the brands, so I resold those and ended up with:
6 BG one size
4 small fuzzibunz
7 Gdiapers w/ liner
5 WAHM
all for about $50

I also have gotten a few off the cloth diapering group on another forum, I think from there I've gotten:
11 WAHM preemie/newborn diapers $55

So all in all I've spent a little over $200 and she'll pretty much be set for diapers once she gets into the small sizes. I plan on ordering either 12 or 24 prefolds soon to use on her until she fits into the smalls, and then use the prefolds for liners.

I've made all my wipes so far by using scraps of flannel I had in my sewing stash.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#10 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM

I bought used cloth diapers from Craigslist.  I just started looking for good deals when I was only a few months along.  I got used diaper covers too.  I got a few new covers, but they were from ebay and then I just bought a couple cheapie nylon pants.  I'm just using prefolds and covers.  I got a great deal on some fitted Kissaluvs too.  I have pins and Snappis and just plan on seeing how it all goes, but I've got enough diapers for every size now.  I've got 35 newborn prefolds, 6 fitted Kissaluvs (newborn), 40 infant prefolds, 35 bigger prefolds, and a mess of covers (Thirsties, Bummis, Dappi, and some other brands I got included in some used purchases. 

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#11 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM

This baby is going to be veeeery cheap for us since we've got so many covers and prefolds from DS.  Which is great!  I've spent maybe $30 on (used) infant sized AIOs for the first few weeks, but that's it.  We've tried both pockets and prefolds, and the prefolds + covers are just so much easier to wash, and have held up WAY better than the pockets.  Our pockets we've used with DS are shot, they won't be making it to baby 2.  The covers and prefolds will diaper at least this next babe, and maybe more.  And we paid half as much for the prefolds and covers as we did for the pockets.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#12 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 04:33 PM

I have all prefolds, flats, and covers.  My "wipes" are baby washcloths that we had a ton of, but never used.  You can buy a 4-pack of them for 99 cents at wal-mart.  They work great, and I can't imagine paying $$$ for the cloth wipes online. 

When I first started cd-ing, I spent some money on cute pocket dipes for my daughter, but we never, ever use them.  We don't even use her ultra expensive bubu bebe dipes...  I just love the flats and prefolds.  I should probably sell off some of the pocket dipes I have...

SAHM to our 2 blessings through adoption!  DD 2 1/2 and DS 2.

#13 of 112 Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM

I am going much cheaper than I did with my daughter (she was fuzzi bunz only), but spending more than I did with my son (he was prefolds and covers only).

I also need a very large stash because my washing situation is iffy.  This time around I am going to be trying out fitteds.  Seems like a happy compromise between pockets and prefolds.  Here's what I bought (or will buy).  Nothing used because I can never manage to score good deals on used stuff, and I only have so many hours in a day to hunt for such bargains!

I Currently Have:

• 9 infant prefolds - $0
  • 7 regular prefolds - $0
  • 4 newborn AIO - $0
  • 10 TT custom Fitteds - $85

Need:

• Cover Package Small - $90 – CB
  • 12 small fitteds - $78 - LL - Can wait
  • 12 infant prefolds + 2 newborn covers - $42 - CB
  • Wool wash and Lansinoh - $24 - GM
  • 10 small workhorse fitteds - $74 - GM

GMD - $97 – Wool treatment, 10 fitteds.

CB - $132 – Bummis Newborn Pack, Sm diaper cover package, free diaper cover

LL - $78 – Dozen fitteds…maybe other stuff?

=$230 to get started!

= 25 Infant Diapers, 37 Sm/Regular Diapers, 2 Newborn Covers, 7 Sm/Regular Covers

Can add more fitteds, accessories, AIO’s, pockets, prefolds, etc. as necessary.

This would be a lot cheaper if I bought second hand or had a washing machine of my own.  I may also buy a few fuzzi bunz for night time if the stuff I have doesn't cut it for that.  It's still all a lot cheaper than disposables (I always re-sell for good prices), or than buying a bunch of AIO's, pockets, etc.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#14 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 12:05 AM

Yep, cheap here too. Besides a few miscellaneous prefolds and AIOs that I picked up before I had any idea what I was looking for, I got 4 dozen flats from GM, 2 pairs of diaper pins, and 2 bummis covers because they were cute and not too expensive, and jeez I think I deserve to buy a couple cute things for my baby! All our baby clothes are used and the diapers are boring (though I do actually like the plain cotton look). My mom is bringing a couple dozen plain white pull up covers in various sizes that she says are like new. And a couple pins. Until the meconium goes through, we will use some biodegradable disposables. So I think I'm set. Oh and also going the old t-shirt route for wipes. Fortunately DH *never* throws away raggy old shirts so I think we will have plenty of material!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#15 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Yep, cheap here too. Besides a few miscellaneous prefolds and AIOs that I picked up before I had any idea what I was looking for, I got 4 dozen flats from GM, 2 pairs of diaper pins, and 2 bummis covers because they were cute and not too expensive, and jeez I think I deserve to buy a couple cute things for my baby! All our baby clothes are used and the diapers are boring (though I do actually like the plain cotton look). My mom is bringing a couple dozen plain white pull up covers in various sizes that she says are like new. And a couple pins. Until the meconium goes through, we will use some biodegradable disposables. So I think I'm set. Oh and also going the old t-shirt route for wipes. Fortunately DH *never* throws away raggy old shirts so I think we will have plenty of material!

For what it's worth, I got about 7 or 8 wipes from each shirt. If you're trying to get them larger, or if your hubbys shirts are larger than my old t-shirts, you might get more from each. 

OT: does anybody else get a bug where when they hit quote they get one of the ads from the side of the screen showing up in the box? WTH is up with that?

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#16 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 AM

I think this baby will be CD'd for practically free, since I bought almost all the diapers I have for my DS.  My newborn stash is particularly frugal.

30 prefolds (All were either free or on baby #3)

6 or so white covers (Swapped for, virtually free)

3 Thirsties Duo Wraps (my splurge, purchased seconds for around $30 total)

Diaper pins (all on baby #3)

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#17 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 06:48 AM

We're going cheap, too---especially since we have so much leftover from before.  (Which was mostly prefolds and covers that I found on sale in various places.)  

My most exciting purchase so far for this baby was 20 Motherease one-size diapers and 10 Thirsties covers (in beautiful shape) on Craigslist.  Grand total:  $30.  orngbiggrin.gif

I love reading about all the deals that people have gotten!  We have saved so much money over the years by using cloth diapers, not to mention at least two tons of trash from going in the landfill.  Love it!  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#18 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 AM

My actual costs for this baby is about $20.

We did all the spending when DS was due, and it will all get reused/shared with the new baby, as DS will be only 15 months when the baby arrives (or almost if the baby comes before the EDD) so I'll have them both in diapers for a few months. I'll just have to wash the diapers more frequently, as right now I do 2 loads a week, and I expect with both in diapers it'll be every other day until DS potty trains, which we'll start working on after Christmas when he is about 18-19 months. I know it'll take a while for him as he likes change to happen slowly.

What I've splurged on this time is:

Elastic & Velcro for NB fitted diapers $10 approx (fabric is recycled from old clothes)

Wool for knitting soakers $2 a ball/soaker, and I'm in the middle of making 3 tiny ones and already have finished a couple of bigger ones.

I expect this new NB sized stuff to last for however many we end up having, as they will only use them for a couple of months each time.

I'll probably have to replace some of the other stuff eventually, but from the lack of wear on everything (except the snappi fasteners) I fully expect my current stash to last 3-4 babies. I might convert back to diaper pins at some point as the snappi fasteners don't last too long before the plastic breaks somewhere on them, and they also recommend replacing every 6 months. Diaper pins I would think would last a lifetime, so it'll be a one time only expense

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#19 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:29 AM

I also have tons of cloth wipes, so I'm all set there.  I get those tiny baby wash clothes at the dollar store, 4-6 for a $1.  I use them all the time for family cloth (which is nice not spending $ on toilet paper right now!)  But then they also work just fine for the baby.  I could never spend the $ that I see for pre-packaged baby cloth wipes!  I think most of those ones are too big anyways.

#20 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I also have tons of cloth wipes, so I'm all set there.  I get those tiny baby wash clothes at the dollar store, 4-6 for a $1.  I use them all the time for family cloth (which is nice not spending $ on toilet paper right now!)  But then they also work just fine for the baby.  I could never spend the $ that I see for pre-packaged baby cloth wipes!  I think most of those ones are too big anyways.

That's so funny because I like the bigger ones. LOL Maybe my DS has massive poops or something, but I like that they're easy to fold and find a clean portion  when he has a really messy poop. I do like your idea for a newborn and also for wet diapers. Cloth baby wipes are WAY too expensive.

#21 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 AM

Ddcc.

We are going super cheap. Spent less than 50 dollars with the first for the first year. Spent 25 more bucks on fitters that fit poorly. Spent 10 more when the second was born. I have since passed on all my old dipes. I recently made an entire stash for a friend for $30.

I'm a big fan of flats made from thrift store flannel sheets. Or cut up old towels. It's usually $ 3-4 for a dozen. I am making some pull up covers and longies for cute but I have been plenty happy with tie on fleece covers. All made from thrift fleece or wool. I may knit a couple of wool soakers because I was given some wool yarn (tho I suppose I could unravel a thrift store sweater) and I have time.

Good luck finding the best solution for you. I totally agree about cost being a huge advantage of cloth. Because mine are so cheap, I think I should put a quarter in a jar every diaper change and have a nice college fund. We also do EC which I think works beautifully with flats.

carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gifbanana.gif 10, 8, 1 & 1
#22 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 AM

I see threads like this all of the time and really wish that I could sew!  I know I end up spending way too much on diapers...all cause I can't sew anything myself.  Oh well.  Helping out other wahm's isn't the worst way to spend my money I figure.

#23 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I see threads like this all of the time and really wish that I could sew!  I know I end up spending way too much on diapers...all cause I can't sew anything myself.  Oh well.  Helping out other wahm's isn't the worst way to spend my money I figure.

:) Trade skills with someone who can sew! I can't knit, so I swap sewing for knitting all the time.

My sister & I also trade sewing for baking. I hate to bake, she's good at it & enjoys it ... She just asked me to fix elastic in several of her pocket dipes, and I'm looking forward to the payment :)

~SynEpona~
#24 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

We're going cheap, too---especially since we have so much leftover from before.  (Which was mostly prefolds and covers that I found on sale in various places.)  

My most exciting purchase so far for this baby was 20 Motherease one-size diapers and 10 Thirsties covers (in beautiful shape) on Craigslist.  Grand total:  $30.  orngbiggrin.gif

I love reading about all the deals that people have gotten!  We have saved so much money over the years by using cloth diapers, not to mention at least two tons of trash from going in the landfill.  Love it!  

Wow, that is one of the best CD deals I've ever heard! Good on ya!!!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#25 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM

I know. . . I saw the post, noticed that it was a couple of hours old, but decided to try responding anyway (thinking there was no way that it was still available) and I got it!  They came with eight snap-in doublers, too.  I almost felt guilty about paying so little for so much.  Almost! winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemistryClass View Post

Wow, that is one of the best CD deals I've ever heard! Good on ya!!!

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#26 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

Money was really tight when we had DS, so we went with the really cheap Gerber Premium Prefolds (4 dozen) 3 snappi fasteners and 3 Econobum one size covers. We later added 3 more Econobum covers, 3 more snappi fasteners and 1 dozen Econobum prefolds. I have to admit I never use the thicker Econobum prefolds, as the Gerber ones work so well for us. When DS was about 8 or 9 months we added a few pocket diapers for using over night, as he will sleep for 12 hours straight most nights.

Cost for us

Gerber Prefolds approx $60 for 4 dozen (using a Target gift card, so nothing to us)

3 Snappi fastners & 3 Econobum covers from Cotton Babies approx $30 (if I remember correctly)

initial set up cost $90 (or there about)

Additional prefolds, covers & fasteners approx $50

5 Pocket Diapers approximately $80

Total we have spent in 13 months of cloth diapering $220, and we don't even use everything we have.

This time around I'm making some extra newborn sized diapers so we don't have to use any disposables, all made from recycled fabric (mostly old clothes)

I'm also knitting wool soakers, and got the wool for less than $2 a ball and 1 ball makes a newborn size soaker with wool to spare, so the cost for these is minimal.

Um i love love love all this info but I dont know what some of these things are :-(

-Snappi fastners (and how do you use them)

-Pocket Diapers  (diffe(difdieeed(different from what other diapers and how?)

-wool soakers (you just knit what looks like a maxi pad? and that goes between the prefold and diaper cover?  Or am I way off?)

Like many other first timers, I'm so terribly confused about all the options!  Logistically and monitarily...

First time mama!  belly.gif
#27 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Hey----I just got an email that The Natural Baby Co. has a bunch of stuff on clearance!  I really liked their one-size Wonder Wraps.  They're super durable and on clearance for $4 each!!

https://www.thenaturalbabyco.com/

#28 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey----I just got an email that The Natural Baby Co. has a bunch of stuff on clearance!  I really liked their one-size Wonder Wraps.  They're super durable and on clearance for $4 each!!

Oh my goodness, I just splurged! I ordered (gulp) 15 of the Wonder Wraps. My 17 month old DS is at the very beginning stages of potty learning, but I know with the new babe coming, there is a chance he may regress. I expect him to be in diapers a while longer. I'm hoping that these will last through both babes if I take good care of the covers. I also got some wet bags that I've really wanted but couldn't afford. I couldn't turn down $3 apiece. And, well, I got the new babe 15 Indian prefolds in the Infant (7-15 lb) size. And I got DS several of the next size up. These weren't on clearance, but I needed them, anyway, so I figured with free shipping I should just go ahead and buy them now.

Thank you so much for passing on this info!

#29 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inali View Post

Um i love love love all this info but I dont know what some of these things are :-(

-Snappi fastners (and how do you use them)

-Pocket Diapers  (diffe(difdieeed(different from what other diapers and how?)

-wool soakers (you just knit what looks like a maxi pad? and that goes between the prefold and diaper cover?  Or am I way off?)

Like many other first timers, I'm so terribly confused about all the options!  Logistically and monitarily...

These are Snappi Fasteners.  They're little plastic 3 prong fasteners that have little teeth in them that hook into your prefold/folded flat to keep it closed and in place properly.  I use them a lot on DS if he's running around in just a prefold and sans cover (which we do sometimes if he's got a rash, or if he's already pooped several times in the day).  They're basically used in place of traditional diaper pins.  If you're using a velcro or snapping cover over your prefold/flat, they're not really necessary, as the cover will hold the prefold/flat in place.  But if you're using a pull-up cover, or if you want the freedom to just put on a prefold, then they're really handy to have.  They go on more quickly than pins, in my opinion.  Our three pack saw about a year of use before the Snappis needed replacing.

These are pocket diapers (or a popular brand of them, anyway).  Instead of putting on an absorbent layer, and then a cover over it, the absorbent layer is stuffed inside, and the whole shebang is put in the kiddo.  They're a more expensive option that prefolds/flats and covers.  A lot of mamas like them better because they go on so conveniently, especially on squirmy toddlers.  And they have microfleece against baby's skin, which acts as a wicking layer (baby feels dry longer).  In my experience, they don't hold up as well and are a pain in the butt to launder.  And they cost more.  Still less than disposables by a long shot, but I actually prefer the cover/prefold option myself.  Many mamas prefer the pockets.  They're just a different option, and probably not ideal if you're looking to diaper on the cheap.

I haven't used wool at all, so my explanation there is probably not the best shy.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#30 of 112 Old 06-29-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Awesome thanks!  I can try some different ones out!  :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

These are Snappi Fasteners.  They're little plastic 3 prong fasteners that have little teeth in them that hook into your prefold/folded flat to keep it closed and in place properly.  I use them a lot on DS if he's running around in just a prefold and sans cover (which we do sometimes if he's got a rash, or if he's already pooped several times in the day).  They're basically used in place of traditional diaper pins.  If you're using a velcro or snapping cover over your prefold/flat, they're not really necessary, as the cover will hold the prefold/flat in place.  But if you're using a pull-up cover, or if you want the freedom to just put on a prefold, then they're really handy to have.  They go on more quickly than pins, in my opinion.  Our three pack saw about a year of use before the Snappis needed replacing.

These are pocket diapers (or a popular brand of them, anyway).  Instead of putting on an absorbent layer, and then a cover over it, the absorbent layer is stuffed inside, and the whole shebang is put in the kiddo.  They're a more expensive option that prefolds/flats and covers.  A lot of mamas like them better because they go on so conveniently, especially on squirmy toddlers.  And they have microfleece against baby's skin, which acts as a wicking layer (baby feels dry longer).  In my experience, they don't hold up as well and are a pain in the butt to launder.  And they cost more.  Still less than disposables by a long shot, but I actually prefer the cover/prefold option myself.  Many mamas prefer the pockets.  They're just a different option, and probably not ideal if you're looking to diaper on the cheap.

I haven't used wool at all, so my explanation there is probably not the best shy.gif

Thanks for the explanations, that totally helps, a lot.

First time mama!  belly.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page