head dropping/engaging - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What does it feel like? Is there a difference between the two?

I've been feeling serious pressure on my bladder in about the past week. It's not that I have to pee more often, it's that I *feel* like I have to pee even when I don't at all. Every time I stand up. However, I have no other symptoms of "lightening" - I don't think my belly is much lower, I don't feel the baby lower, and I don't feel like there's a bowling ball between my legs. But something is different. Is the baby just heavier now so there's more pressure in general? Who else is feeling changes? 

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 AM

From last time I remember all of a sudden being able to breathe a lot easier, and eat a lot more.  The heartburn went away, etc.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-29-2011, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ursusarctos, I've been noticing something similar, too, with ..erhem...BM's too. I wondered also what it feels like, but this one is definitely still pressed firmly against my ribs. I think you're right, she must be getting heavier. BabyCakes, thanks for the perspective!

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 06-29-2011, 08:10 AM

With DS who was a low lying baby to begin with it felt way more uncomfortable. He started trying to engage quite early, but it would last a few days then he would pop back up a bit for a few days. This went on throughout the third trimester.

While he was engaged I could feel the pressure on my pubic bone, not just my bladder. The bone ached is probably the only way to describe it. Also I couldn't walk properly anymore, I had the waddle of pending labor as there was no way my legs were getting anywhere near each other at the top. I almost felt like he would fall out if I sneezed too hard (if only) and when he popped back up I could feel the difference, especially on my pubic bone.

This one feels very different both because they are much higher up, and because most babies after the first don't engage so early, most wait until labor, which will be nice for my poor pubic bone.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 06-29-2011, 08:14 AM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
Old 06-29-2011, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Huh, well it sounds unmistakable so I guess it's not that for me yet. I never had breathing or heartburn issues though so I can't really judge from that. I HAVE been feeling pressure on my pubic bone and I occasionally now get feelings like my SP is trying to come apart, but that could just be the hormones loosening things too.

Tear, I have it with BMs too. Let's just say that when I need to #2 it feels a lot more, um, pressing nowadays.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 AM

Now I'm sitting here wondering which I would rather feel- pressure on my bladder and feeling like I have to pee constantly or not being able to breath. Such a tough decision.

My stomach has dropped the past few days- but not by much. I don't really feel her head much, but her hands moving are sometimes SUPER low. I feel like she is trying to reach out of the hole and wave at us.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

I feel like she is trying to reach out of the hole and wave at us.

Heehee, funny image!

Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 AM

I'm pretty sure baby has engaged. Which is a first for me! My other 2 births I didn't engage till I was IN labor. Why I think baby dropped?

• bowling ball like pressure in my pelvic area-- feels like baby is going to fall out the va-jay-jay any second!
  • bowls emptying completely and tons and tons of pressure there.
  • peeing very frequently even if it's just tiny amounts.

belly feels less firm and pokey in the belly button/front area-- feels so much more flabby/soft. Doesn't seem to look much different or lower but dramatically softer? DH and my mom agree!

This all started Tuesday-- wdyt? baby has dropped? I still have heartburn but it's MUCH less severe these last few days-- it's been my biggest symptom and it's been constant but lately it's only in the wee hours of the night or morning... not even so much when bending as it was before! 

BUT-- I'm a bit nervous what this means since previous babies didn't descend till labor-- when is a typical time for this to happen? Is labor usually around the corner or could it be weeks? THANKS!

ribbonjigsaw.giffamilybed1.gifnocirc.gifribbonpb.gif teapot2.GIF Proud Christian Mama to LJ & Bee 2ndtri.gif due with #3 in August! 
Loving Wife to hubby Tony!  love.gif5/16/08 & 5/14/10 love.gif  Our angel left us 10/2/09 angel1.gif
Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

It can be weeks and weeks from the head engaging until labor.

Old 07-05-2011, 10:15 AM

Yes, it can definitely be weeks and weeks.  My baby has been engaged for at least 6 weeks now, and this is my third and I'm at 35+3.  My babies have all engaged early.  They don't roll around.  They just stay basically put and wiggle.  This one really feels like it's going to fall out, though.  I've never had that before.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mine still hasn't engaged and I'm 36 weeks. I have the feeling that she might be trying to engage, but I think I'm holding some tension in my pelvis and that might be holding her back. Maybe it will go away when I finish my thesis... It is getting really difficult to bend over now, she presses right up into my ribs.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
It is getting really difficult to bend over now, she presses right up into my ribs.

Same for me! I can barely wipe after going to the bathroom! I can feel her little noggin pressing on my right ribcage. A very annoying problem since I go to the bathroom every 15 minutes eyesroll.gif

Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

Same for me! I can barely wipe after going to the bathroom! I can feel her little noggin pressing on my right ribcage. A very annoying problem since I go to the bathroom every 15 minutes eyesroll.gif

Yes! Not only can I not bend over, but she's heavy enough that I'm already getting tons of pelvic pressure anyway!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, so I just read something on a pregnancy blog about the head starting to drop into the pelvis... is it actually a gradual process then? Somehow I just had the idea that I would feel the head slipping down into my pelvis one day and then I would know orngtongue.gif That would explain the extra pelvic pressure I've been feeling despite not having "lightened" yet.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM

- Buddha
Old 07-05-2011, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I check my cervix daily and sometimes his head is so low that my cervix is right near the opening of my vagina and when he's floating where I can't feel the head, the cervix is hard to reach. I've never in four pregnancies noticed a big difference or a "Dropping". shrug.gif

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 07-05-2011, 09:03 PM

I haven't noticed it, but I think it happened.  I just compared my belly pics from 2 weeks ago and today, and baby is much lower.  So, who knows?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 PM

My baby is dropped and engaged (heck, according to the ob today he's like 2-3cm inside is all!) but I'm still feeling a lot of pressure on my diaphragm & bladder. I think it's because I have a short torso, but either way it's miserable!

Having him dropped/engaged feels like I'm walking around with something about to fall out, or sitting on a tennis ball sometimes. When I walk much at all my crotch will go numb. Joyous feeling...lol

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

User Tag List