birthing skirt - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I finally decided what to wear for labor/birth. I made a birthing skirt!

I posted the details to my blog. Click here to read about it.

birthing_skirt1.jpg

BTW, this is me at 34 weeks... my first belly pic!  belly.gif

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#2 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

#3 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 05:32 PM

I like it! And cute belly picture!!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#4 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post

I finally decided what to wear for labor/birth. I made a birthing skirt!

BTW, this is me at 34 weeks... my first belly pic!  belly.gif

Cute skirt & belly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenushka View Post

We now need special birthing clothes?

Well, no, no one NEEDS them... but if it makes you feel better, then they are essential! I hate hospital gowns, and since I'm having a hosp. birth with midwives, I made one I like :)

Valkyrie89 likes this.

~SynEpona~
#5 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:

That's kind of a snarky thing to say...  She was just sharing something she made.  I think it's adorable.  And who are you to say that she can't have something special to wear for birthing?  It is a very special occasion after all.

Valkyrie89 likes this.
#6 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 06:03 PM

I love it! I started mine today as well. Should be done by tomorrow. It's so nice to have something I feel good in to wear while in labor. Good job mama!

#7 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies! I've been wearing it since I finished it and it's very comfortable. love.gif

Alenushka, feel free to wear whatever you like or nothing at all if that is your preference. Had you read my blog post, you might have learned I will be having a hospital birth with a midwife. I'm not too fond of the hospital gowns and wanted something comfortable to wear when I leave my home and travel to the hospital. This is my last birth... I wanted something nice. M'kay?

Also, I thought it would be nice to share with the group in case they were looking for something similar.

Valkyrie89 likes this.

janie
#8 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 06:25 PM

DDCC-

I love it!!!! I am sooo going to make one now!!!!

a few questions because I am a novice sewer....

I can use t-shirt material for comfort and what did you use for the top to tie it and how did you attach it?

def want it all to be stretchy and comfy as yours looks...I have some stretch stitches on my sewing machine that I have never used, but looks like a good time to try!

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#9 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 PM

I think it's cute and I wish I was crafty enough to sew one!  I had a doula client once who sewed a cute skirt to wear---just like a Binsi, but out of swimsuit fabric---and it was great in the birth pool.  

Again, darn my lack of sewing skills!  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#10 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by saoirse2007 View Post

I can use t-shirt material for comfort and what did you use for the top to tie it and how did you attach it?

def want it all to be stretchy and comfy as yours looks...I have some stretch stitches on my sewing machine that I have never used, but looks like a good time to try!

Click the link in the original post for my blog post. You will see the basic wrap skirt pattern. I serged the skirt panels and one side of the waistband. The rest was just a regular stitch. The skirt is rib knit and the waistband is quilting cotton. I hope that helps!

janie
#11 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 08:24 PM

Janie, I think it's a wonderful skirt.  Looks comfy!  And I'm always pleased to see mamas making their own stuff rather than forking over the big bucks (especially when they turn out so nicely).  Thanks for sharing the link, and if you make any more crafty stuff, or even if you want to cross post this, you should add it to the DDC's crafty thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1303872/crafty-mamas-what-have-you-been-making 

It's really a pretty nifty skirt, and then folks going through the crafty thread can refer back to it as an idea.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#12 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 PM

I LOVE it!  I'm not crafty at all (read: can't sew a button on a shirt), but I won a Binsi skirt from a blog giveaway and I am so excited about it! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#13 of 19 Old 06-29-2011, 11:15 PM

It's lovely!   Really wish I had a sewing machine.  I seriously need to refine my crafty skills!

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#14 of 19 Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 AM

Very nice! I ended up buying a gown since I can't sew - I absolutely HATE the hospital gowns and they don't cover yer rear end up.
#15 of 19 Old 06-30-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamerle View Post

Quote:

Click the link in the original post for my blog post. You will see the basic wrap skirt pattern. I serged the skirt panels and one side of the waistband. The rest was just a regular stitch. The skirt is rib knit and the waistband is quilting cotton. I hope that helps!

rib knit=t-shirt material???

I am going to keep my eyes out for a t-shirt sheet at the second hand store...I wonder if I can just cut it all out of one sheet and make long tails for the tying and no sewing will even be needed,,,,,naaw, that would be way to easy

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#16 of 19 Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter

Rib knit... Think tank top material. I bet jersey knit sheets would work just as well. Good idea!

janie
#17 of 19 Old 07-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:

Alenushka, your comment is inappropriate. Please edit to avoid a warning and risk losing your posting privileges. 

#18 of 19 Old 07-01-2011, 06:36 PM

great job... super cute and i betcha you'll be super comfortable in it too!  I ordered a labor dress, which is super sad since i can sew... i just didnt have the nesting urge to do it!!  But anything is better than the hospital gown and all those buttons!!!

#19 of 19 Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM

Old Navy has similar skirts. They are not wrap. They are just knee-length knit skirts with a very wide waist band - like a maternity skirt. I don't know how much they normally retail for, but I found a few in the clearance section last week. Got myself one for 0.97 cents. :-)

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page