SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) Anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think my hip pain has a name -- SPD.  Anyone else dealing with this?  I didn't actually think what I am going thru was anything special, just normal preggo pain, but I got to googling and some things fit.  Grinding pain in my hips, inability to do stairs, pain getting up from sitting down, pain getting up from the toilet.  I always say it feels like my hips are creaky.  Getting out of bed in the morning is near impossible!  I just can't get away from it.  Anyone else?

This link helped me kind of put it together:

http://www.i-am-pregnant.com/encyclopedia/Pregnancy/Symphysis-Pubis-Dysfunction-(SPD)

And one of my friends on FB posted this link:

http://www.isischiropractic.co.uk/chiropractic_pelvic_dysfunction.html

And this is ME!!!

"Because the pelvis serves as an anchoring point for many of our muscles and the pelvic joints play an important role in weight bearing activities, chiropractors often hear from their patients that they have a difficulty with:

• Rolling over in bed
  • Going up or down stairs
  • Getting in and out of cars
  • Sitting down / getting up
  • Putting on clothes
  • Bending
  • Lifting / standing on one foot
  • Lifting heavy objects
  • Getting moving, especially after sleep
  • Getting in / out of the bath
  • Difficulty walking with a long stride"

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM

I thought I had this a few weeks ago because I had EVERY symptom too. We spent a week in Flordia and in the pool daily, and it does not hurt near as bad now. I think the pool helped....

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM

I found that grabbing the belly and lifting and then doing belly dancing hip circles helps.

Rolling over in bed still sucks, but I can usually make anything else go away.

The other day I turned on Blissborn Radio on Pandora - so labor music, very relaxing and then started in a squat and just moved how it felt I ought to. I actually spent most of the time on my hands and knees doing hip things and spinal things - lots of circling. Felt DIVINE and I felt good all day. After only about 10 minutes (it was nap time :P)

You could try that. Plus, I think it was cool to use the music I'll be using during birth and just listening to my body and moving in the ways it wanted - good practice!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 06-30-2011, 07:11 PM

I have this. It's extremely painful. I was having "round ligament pain" since the day before I found out I was pregnant! yawzaa... that hurts a lot. But around 20 something weeks I started to have bad pain right on my pubic bones....and initially I thought it was that round ligament thing, but then it got worse and some nights I started to feel burn in my bones and that's when I thought this is got to be something else.

And it flared up out of control when I did the squat excercise in my Bradley class...squatting when you've this SPD is a BIG NO NO. That night and following few days were complete misery. It did decrease as I just stayed in  bed and did nothing for next few days (currently I do have the luxury of doing nothing , thanks God!). Standing up, wearing pants standing up, rolling over, staris (are the worse)...basically making the legs move apart is HARD with SPD.

Then, I once climbed stairs to fourth floor at a place where I volunteered few weeks carrying a heavy duty bag full of books. I should have known better. SPD flared up like nothing before. It was excruciating pain and the burning in my bones. I believe that's when I searched and found out about SPD. Resting definitely helps...I rested again for few days and it slowed down. But my pain was still bad enough that believe or not I started to take elevator going down and up both and I live on the 2nd floor!!!!

All hell broke loose at my 30 weeks. I actually never came here to post about it. I had a nutritionist apt early in the morning and I was rushing as I was tad bit late...I thought about taking elevator but instead of waiting I took the staris and slipped and fell....it happened in a blink of an eye! But I was able to touch the floor with one hand so when I hit the floor it wasn't too hard. But when I got up....OMG..OMG..OMG..I basically don't know till this day how I got up and actually went out and took a cab. I was limping like crazy and the pubic bone pain was at its ultimate high. Even the cab driver was asking me what's wrong with me...I said, nothing. I think he thought I was in labor..caz my facial expression showed my pain and of course he took advantage of it and charged me twice the fare...$%^&*(*&^% Once I was at the appt, they sent me to Labor and Delivery (my first time being there...woo hoo) and monitored the baby for 5 hours (all along I felt baby was fine but they wanted to make sure of course I am glad they did) and luckily everything was fine with the baby..........but I was in misery for a very long time. I was ordered to rest as much as possible and basically they said, there is nothing I could do about it. It's all the relaxin hormone that's doing it.

So..yeap it's a bit long but I got it...and I feel your pain. One thing I learned through my search that you've to tell the attendants during your delivery that you have it...and there are certain positions that you shouldn't be doing while pushing caz it will cause long term injury.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
Old 06-30-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noorjahan View Post
yeap it's a bit long but I got it...and I feel your pain. One thing I learned through my search that you've to tell the attendants during your delivery that you have it...and there are certain positions that you shouldn't be doing while pushing caz it will cause long term injury.

bigeyes.gif  You poor thing!! OMGosh!!

Im going to bring it up to my mw on my appt on tuesday definitely.  I'm pretty sure it's what I have -- everything fits.  I even have the sore groin on the right side that I just kept chalking up to being pg.  Like it was normal.  I didn't know all of this WASN'T normal.  I think I probably DID have this the first time around, but didn't know any better.

Some tips I've already tried and have felt a bit better.  I keep my legs tight together when getting up and OMG it's like my hips work for the first time in a long time!!  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yup.  I don't remember it from my first pregnancy; it started in the last few weeks of my 2nd pregnancy and took some weeks PP to go away, and this time it started at 18 weeks.  I was so sad when I started feeling it that early!  For me, it feels like someone is stabbing me in my pubic bone.  I've been going to a chiro weekly for the last 6 weeks, and it's helped A LOT.  The chiro has also really really helped my SI joint pain.  I've noticed that turning over in bed is much less painful if I keep my legs together.  Putting on my underwear is also really painful. 

Anyway, you're not alone :)

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

it started in the last few weeks of my 2nd pregnancy and took some weeks PP to go away, and this time it started at 18 weeks.  I was so sad when I started feeling it that early!  For me, it feels like someone is stabbing me in my pubic bone. 

Yup, this is me.  Mine started right about 20 weeks.  I had it when I was pregnant with DS, but I was hoping that maybe it wouldn't happen this time since I'm in better shape?  Alas, no.  And it happened earlier too.

I don't think grinding in the "hips" necessarily means SPD...  It's really referencing the dysfunction of that symphysis pubis joint.  Mine goes from dull ache, to stabbing sensation, depending on how active I've been during the day.  I can feel it shifting and grinding when I roll over in bed...  It's gross.  And it makes that pubic mound just SO painful -- like when my midwife finds the top of my pubic bone so she can measure from there to the top of my fundus, ughhhh.  Hurty hurty.

You want to be advised not only in birthing positions, but also in the types of exercise you do.  Prenatal yoga is actually contraindicated if you suffer from SPD, which is why I had to stop.  Quite specifically, any squatting.  Normally, squats are VERY good (great for your pelvic floor) for preggo mamas to be doing, but with SPD you're actually aggravating that SP joint...  It can cause it to separate.  Ick.

But again, SPD is about the pubic bone, not the hips.  If you've just got hip pain, it probably isn't SPD.  If you feel like you've been kicked in the crotch, then yes, that's most likely SPD.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 06-30-2011, 10:36 PM

Hmm, this talk about squatting has me thinking.  Lately, one of the only positions I find comfortable is on the floor, on my knees with my knees spread wide but my feet are together, and my upper body draped over my birthing ball.  I'm usually kind of sitting on my feet, it's hard to describe.  Do you think this is too close to a squat position?  A true squat doesn't sound appealing AT ALL, maybe this position I'm describing is ok because most of my weight is on the birthing ball?  Yikes, I really don't want to aggravate my SP joint anymore than it already is... but there are so FEW comfortable positions to just hang out in anymore!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

Hmm, this talk about squatting has me thinking.  Lately, one of the only positions I find comfortable is on the floor, on my knees with my knees spread wide but my feet are together, and my upper body draped over my birthing ball.  I'm usually kind of sitting on my feet, it's hard to describe.  Do you think this is too close to a squat position?  A true squat doesn't sound appealing AT ALL, maybe this position I'm describing is ok because most of my weight is on the birthing ball?  Yikes, I really don't want to aggravate my SP joint anymore than it already is... but there are so FEW comfortable positions to just hang out in anymore!

This doesn't sound bad to me.  It's not spreading your legs that's necessarily bad, it's supporting all that weight.  If you're draped over the birthing ball, then the ball would be supporting your weight -- it wouldn't be distributed through the pelvis.  I did yoga for about 2 weeks after my SP started going, and I could tell, I could FEEL how awful it was every time I had to go into a squat, or anything remotely resembling a squat.  I think if it were aggravating the joint, you'd feel it, and it wouldn't be good.  I had mentioned squats because I know that they are SO good for you in pregnancy.  And I'm the kind of person who tends to just push through pain to get a job done.  So for all of us, I wanted to put out the reminder that if you're feeling significant pain in the SP joint (not the hips), that it's not something you want to be doing exercises that "push past" that pain, so to speak.  If something feels comfortable, then go for it.  It's been my experience that the types of squats you're not supposed to be doing with SPD are downright painful...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Thanks, Italiamom.  I was kind of thinking the same thing, that it would feel bad if it were putting too much stress on the joint.  It actually feels amazing because I think it relieves pressure from my whole pelvis/lower back.  Thank God for birthing balls!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

But again, SPD is about the pubic bone, not the hips.  If you've just got hip pain, it probably isn't SPD.  If you feel like you've been kicked in the crotch, then yes, that's most likely SPD.

Well, it's both for me.  Most of the sites I've been to that describe what SPD is include hip pain as a symptom.  I mean, I don't want to belittle the pain others have, I just am happy that what I have has a name.  It makes me feel like less of a whiny baby.  

http://www.birthsource.com/scripts/article.asp?articleid=189

Quote:

How will I know if I have SPD?
If you have SPD, you may notice pain in the front of the pelvis that hurts when touched. You may also feel pain in the lower abdomen, hips, inner thigh and groin areas. Marked increased pain with activities such as walking, climbing stairs, lifting your legs, or any other large movements involving the pelvis are key symptoms. You may even experience a clicking type noise with movement as well. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should contact your caregiver for further testing.

Italiamom - do you feel the grinding in your pubic bone?  Or does it feel like your whole pelvis is a loose bag of bones that are all clicking and grinding and locking? 

I don't do yoga, that doesn't worry me.  And I'm thinking the water birth will be the best option for me still.  I'm a little worried about all the walking I do -- I wonder if it's only making things worse?

Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Italiamom - do you feel the grinding in your pubic bone?  Or does it feel like your whole pelvis is a loose bag of bones that are all clicking and grinding and locking?

I sadly get both.  The SP pain is constantly there.  I can feel it grinding whenever I get up and down, sometimes when I walk, etc.  It gets worse getting out of bed (like you mentioned, keeping legs together helps).  The grinding of the pubic bone is the most disconcerting for me, because...  Ew.  It's not a part of you that you expect to feel moving and shifting.  *shudder*

I think with SPD the thing is that your body is just making too much relaxin.  And if your body is making so much relaxin that your SP joint is shifting (which is normally a very stiff, unmoving joint), then it naturally makes sense that the rest of the pelvis would be completely screwed as well.  I absolutely didn't mean to say that SPD doesn't include hip pain...  Oh no, it very very much does!!  And I certainly wasn't trying to say that you don't have it, I just wanted to throw out there to mamas not to be worried that they're affected by SPD unless they're also experiencing the tell-tale pain of the actual symphysis pubis joint, because pain and shifting in the pelvis is VERY common in pregnancy, and that doesn't necessarily mean that you have SPD if you have a wonky pelvis.

Like what Becky mentioned -- the exercise that helped her, would absolutely KILL me.  Squatting with SPD is noooooo good.  And hip circles won't necessarily be painful, but with any rotation of the pelvis I can feel my SP grinding.  So maybe that would be a better example?  If squatting helps your hips to feel better, then it's probably not SPD, but just the normal (very) painful pregnancy hips.  But if squatting or pelvic rotations leave your crotch aching, and your hips feeling even more out of whack, then that would be a reasonable indicator of SPD.

If that all makes sense?

I've found cat cow yoga poses to be tremendously pain relieving (if they offered a "Cat/Cow Only Prenatal yoga, then we could go...  sigh).  They keep that SP joint firmly together, no stresses there, and it seems to help adjust the rest of the pelvis in such a way that it isn't aggravating the SP or really stretching it.  If you're not familiar with it, just Google "cat cow stretch" and you'll see pictures.  But I think part of the aggravation in the rest of the pelvis also has to do with all those other joints working overtime because a major stabilizing joint in the front is suddenly not doing its job.  So that might be something to try...  I do them in the morning after I get up and it usually provides some relief.

SPD is a really great reason to not end up on your back in stirrups, and you probably will want to avoid birthing squatting.  Hands and knees will be best for you when you labor and especially during pushing.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:

I don't do yoga, that doesn't worry me.  And I'm thinking the water birth will be the best option for me still.  I'm a little worried about all the walking I do -- I wonder if it's only making things worse?

Sorry, missed this.  The OB that I saw about it when I was pregnant with DS recommended walking or swimming as the two primary exercises that he recommended.  I do a lot of walking, and it certainly hurts.  But you've gotta do something to stay in shape.  Running would be a no no...  You're trying to minimize impact as much as possible.

Old 07-01-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I sadly get both.  The SP pain is constantly there.  I can feel it grinding whenever I get up and down, sometimes when I walk, etc.  It gets worse getting out of bed (like you mentioned, keeping legs together helps).  The grinding of the pubic bone is the most disconcerting for me, because...  Ew.  It's not a part of you that you expect to feel moving and shifting.  *shudder*

I think with SPD the thing is that your body is just making too much relaxin.  And if your body is making so much relaxin that your SP joint is shifting (which is normally a very stiff, unmoving joint), then it naturally makes sense that the rest of the pelvis would be completely screwed as well.  I absolutely didn't mean to say that SPD doesn't include hip pain...  Oh no, it very very much does!!  And I certainly wasn't trying to say that you don't have it, I just wanted to throw out there to mamas not to be worried that they're affected by SPD unless they're also experiencing the tell-tale pain of the actual symphysis pubis joint, because pain and shifting in the pelvis is VERY common in pregnancy, and that doesn't necessarily mean that you have SPD if you have a wonky pelvis.

Like what Becky mentioned -- the exercise that helped her, would absolutely KILL me.  Squatting with SPD is noooooo good.  And hip circles won't necessarily be painful, but with any rotation of the pelvis I can feel my SP grinding.  So maybe that would be a better example?  If squatting helps your hips to feel better, then it's probably not SPD, but just the normal (very) painful pregnancy hips.  But if squatting or pelvic rotations leave your crotch aching, and your hips feeling even more out of whack, then that would be a reasonable indicator of SPD.

If that all makes sense?

I've found cat cow yoga poses to be tremendously pain relieving (if they offered a "Cat/Cow Only Prenatal yoga, then we could go...  sigh).  They keep that SP joint firmly together, no stresses there, and it seems to help adjust the rest of the pelvis in such a way that it isn't aggravating the SP or really stretching it.  If you're not familiar with it, just Google "cat cow stretch" and you'll see pictures.  But I think part of the aggravation in the rest of the pelvis also has to do with all those other joints working overtime because a major stabilizing joint in the front is suddenly not doing its job.  So that might be something to try...  I do them in the morning after I get up and it usually provides some relief.

SPD is a really great reason to not end up on your back in stirrups, and you probably will want to avoid birthing squatting.  Hands and knees will be best for you when you labor and especially during pushing.

Makes perfect sense.  Squatting KILLS.  I haven't tried belly dancing, I've been too afraid to b/c of the pain.  Same with things like hip circles.  

I definitely feel like I've been kicked in the crotch multiple times, and it's just so sore and tender.  I haven't experienced true grinding in my pubic area though, just soreness.  I get the cracking and popping when I roll over in bed or get out of bed.

Hmm.  Just a lot of food for thought.  I think you, Italiamom, have it far worse than I do, if this is what I have (I do feel like it fits the bill).  So, hugs to you.  It's miserable enough for me, so my heart goes out to you!!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Oh good :) I don't have it then. Sorry to recommend something painful!

Becky

Married to Dusty

Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM

Quote:

Makes perfect sense.  Squatting KILLS.  I haven't tried belly dancing, I've been too afraid to b/c of the pain.  Same with things like hip circles.  

I definitely feel like I've been kicked in the crotch multiple times, and it's just so sore and tender.  I haven't experienced true grinding in my pubic area though, just soreness.  I get the cracking and popping when I roll over in bed or get out of bed.

If you're sore and tender on your pubic bone, that's really the most likely culprit.  There are varying degrees of severity for sure...  I'm so sorry you're dealing with it too Carrie, and I wasn't trying at all to say that you didn't have SPD...  Just wanting to remind mamas that hip pain is totally normal -- it's the pubic pain that isn't.  With the pubic pain it's a really good indication for you, sadly.  I actually think that I have it pretty good (check out some of the SPD threads elsewhere on MDC...  Yikes).  Sometimes mamas can't even walk, it can get so bad.  It sadly does get progressively worse with the pregnancy.  But because you know about it now, you may be able to actually save yourself from pain just by NOT doing the things that would aggravate it.  Remember, legs closed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Oh good :) I don't have it then. Sorry to recommend something painful!

Oh no no no, don't be sorry!!  I think for the awful general hip pain of pregnancy, squats and hip circles are GREAT advice.  Seriously.  I don't want to discourage pregnant ladies from doing squatting AT ALL.  It's about the best thing you can be doing for yourself!!  That's why I piped up about the actual pubic pain.  If you don't got the pubic pain, keep doing those squats!

Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

I'm finding holding my legs together to be really quite helpful.  Before reading about this, I was opening really wide, thinking a wide stance would give me more support.  But that's just not the case.  Getting up off the toilet, getting out of bed, or just getting out of a chair is almost painless if I keep things tightly closed.  So that's a good thing.  

Old 07-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:

I'm finding holding my legs together to be really quite helpful.  Before reading about this, I was opening really wide, thinking a wide stance would give me more support.  But that's just not the case.  Getting up off the toilet, getting out of bed, or just getting out of a chair is almost painless if I keep things tightly closed.  So that's a good thing.  

Yay for relief!!  And I bet someone's grandma, somewhere, is saying "see, I told you to keep your legs together..." ROTFLMAO.gif

I've been having a lot of pain in my tailbone too, which is really disconcerting.  I'm used to the SP and hip pain, I guess, but the tailbone is totally new.  It feels all bruised like it did after giving birth (DS was posterior), but I haven't done anything at all.  Sigh.

One thing that I don't know if any of those articles mentioned, when keeping legs together, it's important to keep them together but NOT crossed.  I was told to pretend you're holding a golf ball between your knees.  When you shift one leg above the other, or especially over the other, then it causes that SP to shift too?  I have a habit of naturally crossing my legs, so this one was hard for me.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:

Yay for relief!!  And I bet someone's grandma, somewhere, is saying "see, I told you to keep your legs together..." ROTFLMAO.gif

I've been having a lot of pain in my tailbone too, which is really disconcerting.  I'm used to the SP and hip pain, I guess, but the tailbone is totally new.  It feels all bruised like it did after giving birth (DS was posterior), but I haven't done anything at all.  Sigh.

One thing that I don't know if any of those articles mentioned, when keeping legs together, it's important to keep them together but NOT crossed.  I was told to pretend you're holding a golf ball between your knees.  When you shift one leg above the other, or especially over the other, then it causes that SP to shift too?  I have a habit of naturally crossing my legs, so this one was hard for me.

Your pelvis is several bones, not fused. Especially right now. So when you cross your legs or move them over, the joint in the front - the pubic symphysis literally torquing. OW.One side is moved up, one down and both are pulling on the softened ligament between.

Don't do that. It hurts me to think about it. (And I do it often!)

Becky

Married to Dusty

Old 07-04-2011, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Haha, DH makes jokes that if I'd just done this in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess!  LOL!!

Ugh tailbone pain is the worst.  

And I don't think I could cross my legs even if I tried really hard and held my breath. I do cross my ankles though, when I have my feet up.  Is that just as terrible?  And I have a bad, bad habit of sitting on my foot.  Like I sit on the couch with one leg tucked under me.

I have to say since looking into this and having these few little tricks, it's manageable.  But, I'm also planning on recruiting DH to do the stairs for me for laundry.  I figure I can sort and put it together, and he can run it down stairs, flip it, and haul it up.  I can fold and put away.  That's not completely shirking my housewifely duties, right?  I just feel like laundry will NEVER get done b/c Im so afraid of the steps!!  Im already stretching it out days/weeks at a time.  

Old 07-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Quote:

Haha, DH makes jokes that if I'd just done this in the first place we wouldn't be in this mess!  LOL!!

Ugh tailbone pain is the worst.  

And I don't think I could cross my legs even if I tried really hard and held my breath. I do cross my ankles though, when I have my feet up.  Is that just as terrible?  And I have a bad, bad habit of sitting on my foot.  Like I sit on the couch with one leg tucked under me.

I have to say since looking into this and having these few little tricks, it's manageable.  But, I'm also planning on recruiting DH to do the stairs for me for laundry.  I figure I can sort and put it together, and he can run it down stairs, flip it, and haul it up.  I can fold and put away.  That's not completely shirking my housewifely duties, right?  I just feel like laundry will NEVER get done b/c Im so afraid of the steps!!  Im already stretching it out days/weeks at a time.  

As a very bossy massage therapist... it'd be better to not sit on your foot. You want to sit  with a flat pelvis. If we always sit crookedly, we can set the muscles that way so that it's very uncomfortable to sit flat - when that's the case, you have all sorts of fun things that keep me employed ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty

Old 07-04-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

I figure I can sort and put it together, and he can run it down stairs, flip it, and haul it up.  I can fold and put away.  That's not completely shirking my housewifely duties, right?

I dunno Carrie, the thought of a MAN doing laundry while his wife idly sits by SIMPLY gestating a baby makes me clutch my pearls in horror... ROTFLMAO.gif

You'll be fine.  I will keep my fingers crossed for both you and your DH that it's only a few more weeks of shirking left winky.gif

Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM

Yup, SPD here too. Last time I just gave in and suffered through it by moving as little as possible. Now, while single-parenting a toddler on the road and trying to get the baby into the best possible position, I needed to find a better solution. Pelvic tilts - regularly, and both standing and squatting on all fours - do wonders because they counteract the misaligned pelvic girdle and strengthen while relaxing. And yes, just pretending the pain goes away on its own doesn't cut it, but walking a lot with proper posture actually helps.

Once I'm back home, I will also try the chiropractor. 

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 07-07-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

I'm stupid.  I sat at DD's small toddler sized craft table, legs splayed apart, for like 30 min to eat with her and then I could. not. get. up.  DH had to grab my hands and help me!  OMG so stupid!  And now I'm a little hobbly.  UGH.

Another little trick that have been helping though is sitting to put pants on.  I didn't realize that the pain I was feeling from standing on one foot was related.  It makes a world of difference!!

Old 07-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Another little trick that have been helping though is sitting to put pants on.  I didn't realize that the pain I was feeling from standing on one foot was related.  It makes a world of difference!!

I don't have SPD, but I've been doing this too lately. Reminds me of the old saying, "I put my pant on one leg at a time, just like everyone else." Guess the person who coined that phrase wasn't ever pregnant!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 07-07-2011, 08:08 PM

Yes to the sitting to put pants on!!!  After DS was born, it took some weeks for the SPD pain to go away, and putting on my underwear was so insanely painful!! 

I've also found when I get something out of the lower draw in the fridge, my instinct is to stand up and close the draw with my foot.  OUCH!!  So, produce draws and underwear are my biggest indicators that I have SPD issues, lol!

Old 07-27-2011, 07:32 AM

I am SO SO SO stupid!!!! banghead.gif I have been nesting so much and I just want everything to be ready you know? Ok, so the horses here, for the most part, are my responsibility. I have a group of yearlings together that I have on a really specific diet and I have been really worried that after my csection, I will be too useless to really keep on top of them. So last night I worked in the barn to get it all ready for when someone else will be feeding them. Which involved hauling 16, 50lb bags of grain/feed. It was hurting by the end, but I really wanted to get it done and I felt like I was acting like a big wuss.

By the time I was going to bed, it was feeling like someone had kicked me in the crotch, but I figured end of the day aches. Then as the night went on each time I got up to go to the bathroom or even try to roll over felt like my pubic bone was being ripped in half, worse as the night went on.

How have you mamas been doing this?! I am so done, I can't believe I was so stupid to not think, hmmm maybe this is not the best idea? Oh my gosh, I wish I could reach through the screen and give great big hugs to all of you who have been dealing with this for months hug2.gifI am wanting to cry just thinking about the next week and a half! 

User Tag List