Things to take to hospital for hospital birth...and in general things needed for labor - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-30-2011, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am starting to make a list of the things that I will need during labor (plan to labor at home as much as possible-giving birth at the hospital 5 mins away by car from my home) and things to take to hospital.

For labor time (in general)

-Comfy clothes (any recommendations? I still don't know for me what exactly is comfy or logistically what should be better for labor time)

- Few small wash towels (as I have seen sometimes women wet it with water and place on forehead or wherever..and it's summer I sweat a lot so for me to wipe up that sweat)

- Birth ball

- Water bottols

-Aromatherapy (my doula will bring it)

- Shower cap (I don't want to wet my hair in case I decide to go under hot shower or whatever!)

Anything else that will come in handy?

For hospital packing-

-Comfy clothes

- wash towels

-Socks

-Camera...ph...chargers..etc

-underwears

-Toiletries (sp???!)

- A blanket for me (in case it's too cold there due to AC)

-Baby's clothes

Anything I am missing that needs to be packed for hospital bag?

Thanks!

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#2 of 19 Old 06-30-2011, 08:01 PM

labor/post-partum:

Music and a player (or check with hospital to see if they provide one)

snacks

2 pillows (with colored or patterned cases so they don't get mixed in with the hospital ones)

nursing tank(s)/bra(s)

outfit to go home in (still maternity, but not your biggest size)

bathing suit if you don't want to be naked for showers during labor

hospital paperwork/insurance card/ID

birth/baby plan

treats for nursing staff

for baby:

baby book (for footprints)

receiving blanket

baby soap/lotion (if you want your own, I prefer not to use theirs b/c of chemicals)

boppy

The things from your list that I'm NOT bringing are:
birthing ball (they have them at my hospital)
wash cloths (they have towels/cloths)
water bottles (they'll give you a pitcher of ice-water and keep refilling it for you)

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

#3 of 19 Old 06-30-2011, 08:11 PM

Snacks for whoever is with you during labor.  My poor husband was starving by the time dd was born!  I wish I had packed some granola bars or something for him to munch on.

Nursing bra, if you plan to nurse, or nursing gown.  Nursing pads.

I was really glad I brought some of my own pillows with me, the flat hospital ones weren't enough for me.

My mother would tell you you must have a robe and bedroom shoes...but I hate that stuff.  Give me a sweater jacket and some flip flops and I'm good to go. 

Maybe an extra empty bag for all the baby stuff the hospital will give you and any gifts you might recieve while you're there.  I know I ended up going home with lots more stuff than I brought.

That's all I can think of right now....hope that helps.  I need to get started getting my stuff together too!  Thanks for the reminder!

#4 of 19 Old 07-01-2011, 07:55 AM

I always bring chapstick and my own box of tissues. My lips and skin get so dry right after I have a baby and the chapstick really helps for obvious reasons. The hospital tissues are like sandpaper and no good on my already super sensitive skin.

Did anyone mention a camera? Cell charger? Whoops! Someone did lol.gif

#5 of 19 Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 AM

Food for yourself, especially if they don't supply food for you.  Honey sticks, protein bars, yogurt, fruit, Emergen-C, sports drinks. . . anything you think might appeal to you.  You might not be hungry, but you might be starving (I was) and it might make all the difference between having the energy to push the baby out and needing surgery (as it did for me).  I ate on the sly because I gave birth to DS in a hospital with the draconian no-eating-in-labor policy.  rolleyes.gif

Your uterus is a hardworking muscle that needs nutrients to function.  Try to drink something besides water if you can---something with some electrolytes in it.  I've seen labors stall out because the uterus was so starved or dehydrated and this often gets called 'failure to progress' in medical lingo.  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#6 of 19 Old 07-01-2011, 11:38 AM

A very good friend of mine, who just had her 6th baby last week, has recommended high dozes of Vitamin-C during labor. She takes 1000mg every hour , and it not only gives her more energy but it also drastically cuts down the pain/discomfort of contractions/surges without making them less effective.

Because of this I'm planning on a glass of Emergen-C every hour during labor on top of whatever else I eat or drink. It has 1000mg of Vitamin-C, electrolytes and B6 & B12. For those going to the hospital its easy enough to take some with you and you can pop it in the water they give you to drink.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 19 Old 07-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Thanks for all the info! It's been very helpful as I'm also working on a "what to bring to the hospital" list. The Emergen-C info is particularly intriguing - - something I haven't considered but which makes a lot of sense!

#8 of 19 Old 07-04-2011, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

A very good friend of mine, who just had her 6th baby last week, has recommended high dozes of Vitamin-C during labor. She takes 1000mg every hour , and it not only gives her more energy but it also drastically cuts down the pain/discomfort of contractions/surges without making them less effective.

Because of this I'm planning on a glass of Emergen-C every hour during labor on top of whatever else I eat or drink. It has 1000mg of Vitamin-C, electrolytes and B6 & B12. For those going to the hospital its easy enough to take some with you and you can pop it in the water they give you to drink.

Thanks so much for the information!

#9 of 19 Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I wonder if coconut water has electrolytes in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

Food for yourself, especially if they don't supply food for you.  Honey sticks, protein bars, yogurt, fruit, Emergen-C, sports drinks. . . anything you think might appeal to you.  You might not be hungry, but you might be starving (I was) and it might make all the difference between having the energy to push the baby out and needing surgery (as it did for me).  I ate on the sly because I gave birth to DS in a hospital with the draconian no-eating-in-labor policy.  rolleyes.gif

Your uterus is a hardworking muscle that needs nutrients to function.  Try to drink something besides water if you can---something with some electrolytes in it.  I've seen labors stall out because the uterus was so starved or dehydrated and this often gets called 'failure to progress' in medical lingo.  

Toothbrush/deodorant/hair brush--those are the things I didn't have packed when I had to transfer to the hospital following DS's home birth. This time I'm buying extras and packing them ahead of time. I see that you have toiletries listed, though.

#10 of 19 Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I wonder if coconut water has electrolytes in it?

Coconut water is loaded w/electrolytes/potassium!

#11 of 19 Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Banned

thread jumping

laptop and some DVDs

magazines

easy reading

there's actually a lot of downtime, and I got kind of bored.  I watched two whole movies while in labor at the hospital.

#12 of 19 Old 07-05-2011, 04:46 AM

My lists are all at this link:

https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14gV3w9EAO4HaZJun2fkvbR-lVFfRZqfj5Qo3DsuxJuY&pli=1

I built them based on the very long 'home birth supplies' thread (even though I'm having a hospital birth, with majority of labour at home), my midwives' list, the hospital's list, and my own past birth experience, some of the things are very specific to our hospital (which provides absolutely nothing in the way of birth balls, baby clothes/diapers etc.), and some are just what I'd prefer to have!

I need to see if I can find that EmergenC stuff here ... I've never looked for it before, but it has come up on enough recommended lists that I think I will look for it.

A recipe for a 'Labour-Ade' drink that may be similar is here:

http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2009/06/healthy-natural-pregnancy-laboraid-recipe.html

I'm planning to make some into popscicles, as well as have a pitcher or the ingredients handy :)

~SynEpona~
#13 of 19 Old 07-06-2011, 02:59 PM

For those of you recommending Emergen-C which flavour or type are you recommending? I was in Wal Mart the other day, planning to get some but there's like a trillion different kids so I felt overwhelmed (mostly tired tbh) so I didn't bother getting any. 

I may have missed it but if nobody recommended it, massage oil/lotion if you're having back pain or any pain and want your birth partner to massage you. 

As for clothes to wear during labour I am packing some cotton nightgowns for myself before I get int he birth tank, then it's nakee time in the tank! 

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#14 of 19 Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM

For the EmergenC, I recommend the Orange or Tangerine flavors. I think the berry, lemon and lime flavors are gross and taste super vitamin-y.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#15 of 19 Old 07-06-2011, 04:27 PM

OKay! Thank you! I will pick up some tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

For the EmergenC, I recommend the Orange or Tangerine flavors. I think the berry, lemon and lime flavors are gross and taste super vitamin-y.

If evil means to be self-motivated, to be the center of one’s own universe, to live on one’s own terms, then every artist, every thinker, every original mind, is evil. Because we dare to look through our own eyes rather than mouth clichés lent us from the so-called Fathers…three cheers for Eve. -...

#16 of 19 Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I've only ever had the tangerine and the berry one. I liked the berry. Lemon sounds like it would be good. Tangerine tastes like orange rinds to me. *gag*

-Skye treehugger.gif   http://betweenthebranches.blogspot.com

Mama to Liam (08/29/11)

homebirth.jpg nak.gif femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif  cd.gif

#17 of 19 Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM

I like the raspberry flavor best!  The orange-y ones taste like watered-down tang to me.  :)

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#18 of 19 Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much all for your replies!! Loads of good info. I totally forgot about taking something light to eat/drink. And thanks a lot for the Emergen C info, never heard of that before! Will get it soon. I had a tour at the hospital yesterday (yeap, this late)...and basically was told whether or not I can eat/drink stuffs depends on how things are going and on the doc...I will be eating something for sure when they are not looking...hahaha.. 

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#19 of 19 Old 07-16-2011, 05:12 PM

What I like is to braid my hair.  At least have something to put your hair up or back into, if you have long hair.  I think I have braided my hair for every birth, because you can forget about it and it still looks fairly good.  Even after sleeping.

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page