No hunger - how can I eat more? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Where are the cravings? I want cravings! Instead I've got the opposite - no appetite.

At almost 32 weeks, I've gained about 18 pounds, which the midwife says is fine. But I'm having a lot of trouble eating enough to get the recommended protein and calories. I'm almost never hungry, and when I do eat, it takes only a few bites to fill me up, and that's frequently followed by heartburn.

I'm mostly ovo-lacto vegetarian, though I do eat some seafood (so maybe I should say pescetarian). I've tried to focus on high-protein stuff, like fish, tofu, nuts, etc. And I've made protein shakes with milk and whey powder.

I've never had this problem prior to pregnancy - in fact, I tended to eat too much. So I'm not really sure how to handle this.

Anyone have any ideas/suggestions/anything? Are there any safe (and legal) herbs that improve appetite, maybe?

mom to Landis, 9-9-11
and Leonidas, 4-14-13
remembering Bean, August 2010
expecting a girl in late October 2014!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 11:38 PM

I'm in the same boat!! I'm really just not very hungry, and I can't figure out why. I've been trying to focus on eating the most nutrient dense (and fatty, which is really satisfying to me) foods I can get so that what I DO eat really counts. So lots of whole milk yogurt, raw milk, bread with thick slabs of butter, hard boiled eggs, soaked nuts, pregnancy tea, etc. It's been pretty hard, though, to get enough calories every day. I hope other people have suggestions for you/us!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Grazing helps, in my opinion. 

The baby's squishing everything together, so there's less room in our stomachs. I feel you guys there. 

I half want the babe to drop so I can feel better with breathing/eating/heartburn.... But my hips hurt already, I don't want it to hurt more. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM

I know, it gets so hard at the end, especially when it's hot out.  You mentioned making protein shakes---have you tried different recipes to make them more interesting?   I've been making a peanut butter/wheat germ/banana/plain yogurt smoothie with a squeeze of maple syrup and a dash of cocoa powder, and it tastes like chocolate-peanut butter-banana.  It's something to sip on when I don't really feel like eating!  

Almonds are a good protein snack.  Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese. . . maybe make a fancy new homemade salad dressing so some of the fresh summer greens seem more appealing?  I found these falafel chips at our co-op that have an amazing amount of protein and whole grains in them, and they are good as a dipping item for hummus. I try to eat a lot of small things throughout the day because eating a whole meal doesn't appeal to me most of the time.

I've also been indulging in whole fruit popsicles, which don't have much nutritional value, but they sure taste good when it's 100 degrees outside!  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

Old 07-01-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Yay! I've been working on a tub of cottage cheese - high in protein! Plus, I like it plain, so I don't have to add fruit or other low-protein stuff to it. (Great as fruit and salads are, I'm actually trying to avoid those, because they fill me up fast and provide so few calories or protein.)

String cheese is a great idea. I love it, and when I had to commute to work, I would usually eat a couple in the car. Haven't thought about them since then. Thanks for the reminder! Greek yogurt used to be something I liked, but I've got an aversion now - it no longer tastes good to me at all. :P Just tastes sour and vinegary and bad. I miss eating yogurt!!

The falafel chips sound awesome! I'll look around for those. What brand are yours?

Heading off to do some grazing now! :) I should make a bunch of hard-boiled eggs to keep on hand... maybe I'll do that today. Thanks for all your suggestions, everyone!

mom to Landis, 9-9-11
and Leonidas, 4-14-13
remembering Bean, August 2010
expecting a girl in late October 2014!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:49 PM

The falafel chips at our co-op are "Flamous Brand" and look like this:

http://www.flamousbrands.com/

Another thought on the green veggie front:  you can saute' about a pound of spinach or kale into nearly nothingness so quickly with a little olive oil, garlic, and a squeeze of lemon---maybe some parmesan, too.  It's a great way to pack in a ton of wonderful vitamins and minerals into a few bites!  I like mine tossed with pasta or brown rice.  smile.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

Old 07-01-2011, 05:08 PM

Eat in small meals -- grazing like everyone said.  I like to just take a few tbsp of peanut butter and eat it with a banana.  Or, whole grain toast with peanut butter, or I like earth balance with nutritional yeast.

My mw recommended basically focusing on protein, fruits, and veggies.  She didn't say don't eat carbs, but she said if I'm hungry, reach for those first.  It really has helped me fit more food in. Days like today when I eat chips and junk, I fill up fast and bascially get no nutrients from them.

My protein powder has 25 g of protein per scoop, so I mix mine with soymilk.  Sometimes I do 2 scoops and it really gets me off to a good start.  My mix is a combination of rice and pea protein, so with the soymilk it's a whole bunch of proteins at once.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         

User Tag List