What pads should I get? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What kind of pads should I get for after the baby is born?  What did you use?  I see some use regular ones (i.e. Always), others use Poise ones, and some use the undies with the pad built in. 

I have the cream for the boobs and any soreness after the delivery, but I forgot to get pads.

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 05:32 PM

My midwives' list specifically says "not Always Brand", but other than that, they just recommend something in the heavy/overnight range.

~SynEpona~
#3 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 05:47 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha
#4 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 06:38 PM

I have been wondering the same thing. A lot of other mamas here talk about how they love cloth pads, but I really don't want to buy a bunch of cloth pads just for post partum, because once AF comes back, I'm going back to my diva cup... I hate ALL pads! 

I've also heard about not using Always brand. I had to borrow one from a friend last year, and it had a weird blue coloring in the middle that kinda creeped me out!  

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 06:58 PM

I'm using Natracare pads - overnights then supers. 

#6 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 09:17 PM

My midwife's apprentice highly recommended adult diapers for nighttime. Midwife also has chux pads on the birthkit list, so I got some of those.

#7 of 20 Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 PM

I can't imagine using normal pads.  Over here we get a box of birth supplies shipped to us and in it are several packs of MASSIVE pads.  They are about twice as long as a normal long pad and 4 times as thick.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#8 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 05:05 AM

The hospital normally gives me enough of those ginormous "pads" to get me through the first couple days when bleeding is heaviest. I ordered cloth pads for the rest. Disposable pads - I HATE. They are so hard and rough and hurt - I'm happy to have something soft this time! I understand those not wanting to spend the money (I too use a diva) but for me I think it's worth it, just for the comfort factor.
#9 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 06:03 AM

I use adult diapers at first with the heavy bleeding (maybe 3 days or so) and then switch to Kotex heavy duty with wings.  I like that brand the best, even for normal AF.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  I have an appt today and she is bringing my birth kit and tub (woo hoo!) so I'll see if there's anything in there.  If not, I'll ask what she suggests too and then go get a bit of that and probably some adult dipes (how sexy) and some heavy duty pads just in case.  Thanks!

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#11 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Location: Seattle, Tucson, Austin, Baltimore. Now: Urbana, IL

DDCC- I used those super thick ones with the mesh panties that they gave me at the birth center with my first for about 2 days and then switched over to Always with wings super absorbent for a few days, then downgraded to a less absorbent style until I was ready for liners.

With my second I used one package of the Always super absorbent with wings and then switched over to cloth pads. Soooooooo much nicer!!!  I highly recommend them!  They are more breathable, feel better on, and I don't feel so wasteful.  They are easy to clean and I have enough to get through two days before needing to wash.  Once AF returns I go back to the Diva Cup and use cloth liners overnight for any leaks.

Mama to Avalon 1/07 waterbirth.jpg, Austin 1/10 in between uc.jpgand Avery 12/11  h20homebirth.gif
fambedsingle1.gif   femalesling.GIF   winner.jpg   cd.gif     ecbaby2.gif  novaxnocirc.gif   goorganic.jpg  

#12 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 09:11 AM

One of my favorite things about having a baby is those mesh underpants.  They are the greatest.  And sexy, to boot...okay, maybe not.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#13 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 03:27 PM

The Natracare maternity pads have gotten pretty stellar reviews.  My birth kit is going to come with quite a few pads, and then I'm going to order a couple boxes of the Natracare as well.  And then after that I'll probably just stuff my panties with preemie prefolds orngbiggrin.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#14 of 20 Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my midwife came over tonight and she brought with her a whole bunch of pads and chux pads.  :)  I'll still probably need some more pads, but she had quite a few for me.

#15 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

The Natracare maternity pads have gotten pretty stellar reviews.  My birth kit is going to come with quite a few pads, and then I'm going to order a couple boxes of the Natracare as well.  And then after that I'll probably just stuff my panties with preemie prefolds orngbiggrin.gif

That's an idea. I might just do that and forget about having to buy pads at all. Haven't used them since my *very* first period. 

-Skye treehugger.gif   http://betweenthebranches.blogspot.com

Mama to Liam (08/29/11)

homebirth.jpg nak.gif femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif  cd.gif

#16 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM

seventh generation has sanitary pads available has anyone used those? I can't use Always brand as I'm allergic to them(got a nasty yeast infection just from using them 2 days during my last cycle). I typically use stayfree as they are fabricy and seem to breathe and wick better. But I'd like something more natural till I can use those again. I have a feeling finding the huge pads by stayfree is going to be hard since they aren't as popular.

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#17 of 20 Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM

I used both 7th generation and naturacare pads back when I lived at home and had money to blow.  They are way more comfortable than normal pads!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinbopbop View Post

seventh generation has sanitary pads available has anyone used those? I can't use Always brand as I'm allergic to them(got a nasty yeast infection just from using them 2 days during my last cycle). I typically use stayfree as they are fabricy and seem to breathe and wick better. But I'd like something more natural till I can use those again. I have a feeling finding the huge pads by stayfree is going to be hard since they aren't as popular.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#18 of 20 Old 07-07-2011, 06:26 AM

I've never used natracare - are the maternity ones bigger? What's the difference in those and the regular ones?

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#19 of 20 Old 07-07-2011, 08:10 AM

I used the natracare pads post-partum with DD and liked them.  I don't remember now if I got any of the post-partum ones or if I just got the heaviest flow ones I could find, but they worked great.  I believe I had some of both.  This time I am going to try some homemade cloth pads.  I hope they work well.  I think that I used the heavy flow ones for several days and then at nights for a while and used some regular pads for a while and then downgraded to the ultras as my flow subsided.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#20 of 20 Old 07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
pjs

I use depends for the first few days and then switch to regular pads during the day and depends at night for as long as it'd be a pita to have to wash sheets.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page