Mothering Forum banner

Breast feeding Pillow

724 views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Lynann 
#1 ·
Are these really necessary? I have looked at boppys and my breast friend pillows and they are quite pricey. I am trying to finish up buying the last few things we need and I just can't decide if I should spend the money on this or not. Does a pillow work just as well? What do you ladies think? Do you have to have them or are they a waste of money?

#2 ·

#3 ·
I don't think you have to have it, but it sure is nice. I really did not need it with DD1 because she was small (less than 6lbs) but DD2 it was very helpful for positioning (she was over 9). You can use pillows, but I found I needed more than one pillow to do what the boppy did and it was more stuff to carry room to room.

#4 ·
I found them indispensible! Seriously, I used the My Breast Friend pillow the very most. So helpful with positioning. I took the Boppy with me when traveling (it was easier to carry around than the MBF). But I assume I'll be using the MBF mainly again with this baby.

#5 ·
I had a bobby with my first and I ended up using just a regular pillow with the rest of the kids. I do have multiple bobby pillows that I find really handy with daycare though! They are great for tummy time support, a place to lay a baby more upright, and to set behind baby when they are just learning to sit up on their own. I know some people just love them for feeding though!

I would check out garage sales, consignment/resale shops, etc. I always see tons of them there and it sure doesn't hurt to try!

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyLu View Post

I found them indispensible! Seriously, I used the My Breast Friend pillow the very most. So helpful with positioning. I took the Boppy with me when traveling (it was easier to carry around than the MBF). But I assume I'll be using the MBF mainly again with this baby.
yes, I wound up getting a MBF with DD2, it worked much better for my big baby. We had some latch issues and it eliminated some of the awkwardness of trying to hold her right and get her head in the right position and my nipple in the right place... I imagine I will also use it as my primary BFing pillow this time also, at least early on.

#7 ·
I didn't really like the Boppy for it's purposes (too soft), but I liked the My Brest Friend pillow. It was much more supportive. I don't think it's necessary enough to warrant the expense of buying it new ($50!?, no thanks), BUT they come up used on Craigslist quite often for $15-20, and at that price I do think they're worth it. I didn't save mine, it was big and we moved a couple times, so I'm also on the hunt for one. I wouldn't buy one new, but I'm certainly searching for a used one!

#8 ·
A friend lent me both a MBF & a boppy, but I didn't like either of them, and much preferred a regular pillow. I think it's not one of those 'must haves' for about 1/2 of the mamas I know IRL, and I suggest to my friends not to buy one new ever, they are too expensive, and so readily available 2nd hand. (plus, then you can resell for the whole price if you find you don't need it!).

#9 ·
I bought a MBF at a second hand store for less than 10 bucks I think. Then my cousin sent me 2 Boppys that she no longer needs. Ask around, you may know someone looking to get rid of one!

#10 ·
I got my MBF pillow at a consignment store last year for $12, and this time I treated myself to a new cover for it (so now I have something the change with). I love the support of the MBF and the fact that it also helps support my back. I'm VERY large busted and regular pillows etc just couldn't get DS into a good enough position for a good latch, but I had no problems finding a good latch with the MBF.

Again I recommend looking for a second hand one as they are a bit pricey brand new.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I got my MBF pillow at a consignment store last year for $12, and this time I treated myself to a new cover for it (so now I have something the change with). I love the support of the MBF and the fact that it also helps support my back. I'm VERY large busted and regular pillows etc just couldn't get DS into a good enough position for a good latch, but I had no problems finding a good latch with the MBF.

Again I recommend looking for a second hand one as they are a bit pricey brand new.
Maybe that is why I never really needed one. I top out at a B cup fully engorged
bag.gif

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

Good to know. I'd (modestly) describe myself as "gigantic" and was wondering how that would effect me. My dad got me a BF pillow (don't remember the brand, but not MBF or Boppy) so I'm hoping that makes things a bit easier then. I've been planning on learning side lying and football hold positions early on since those seem to be the most suggested when it comes to being "well endowed."

#13 ·
I had a loaned Boppy and a purchased MBF with DD. I personally found the Boppy to be worthless for breastfeeding. The baby just falls into the crack between you and it. They *are* handy for putting baby down in for a little sleep, though. The MBF, on the other hand, was a lifesaver. I had severe nipple pain for 7 weeks after she was born and I don't know how I would have gotten through it if I had had to concentrate on supporting all her weight as well as positioning her and my breast and not screaming and scaring her off when she latched on. I used it less with DS, but I had nursed throughout my pregnancy with him and never had a moment's difficulty with breastfeeding. I was expert by then. That said, I still find it handy in the beginning and have it out and ready for this one. It's just nice when the baby falls asleep at the breast to be able to leave them on your little MBF table and not really have to support their weight anymore. You can also take the whole thing off very carefully, leaving the baby on it with pillows around it and actually *gasp* get up and leave the baby on the MBF on the couch so you can do something really decadent, like go to the toilet.

If you get a used MBF, watch out for the old models that fastened with velcro instead of a squeezy clip. I haven't used these myself, but I've heard stories about people being trapped in them because removing the velcro was so loud that it would wake the baby.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahmck View Post

You can also take the whole thing off very carefully, leaving the baby on it with pillows around it and actually *gasp* get up and leave the baby on the MBF on the couch so you can do something really decadent, like go to the toilet.
But Sarah, part of the *fun* of being a parent is NEVER having to go to the bathroom alone again! Who would want to ever rob themselves of the absolute joy of ninja pooping while holding 10 pounds of sleeping dead weight?
ROTFLMAO.gif

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

But Sarah, part of the *fun* of being a parent is NEVER having to go to the bathroom alone again! Who would want to ever rob themselves of the absolute joy of ninja pooping while holding 10 pounds of sleeping dead weight?
ROTFLMAO.gif
biglaugh.gif
And then trying to decide....should I flush it or will that wake the baby up? Hmm...I'll leave it. I won't forget about it.
bag.gif

#16 ·
Quote:

If you get a used MBF, watch out for the old models that fastened with velcro instead of a squeezy clip. I haven't used these myself, but I've heard stories about people being trapped in them because removing the velcro was so loud that it would wake the baby.
Trapped in a MBF! It's the next Lifetime movie!

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

ROTFLMAO.gif
We'd better watch out or we're going to scare the first-timers! Really, having a newborn is a joy. There are no downsides! You won't miss those longer-than-one-minute showers. You won't dream of sitting in a leisurely fashion on the toilet finishing that magazine article before you get up again....

#18 ·
Thanks for all the feedback!
I think I am probably going to go ahead and get a MBF. I found a few on ebay and there is a consignment shop here I may look at. I also am well endowed in the chest area so I definitely want something that is going to help us be successful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyLu View Post

Trapped in a MBF! It's the next Lifetime movie!
This cracked me up!
ROTFLMAO.gif

I will definitely avoid the velcro!

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

biglaugh.gif
And then trying to decide....should I flush it or will that wake the baby up? Hmm...I'll leave it. I won't forget about it.
bag.gif
Quote:

We'd better watch out or we're going to scare the first-timers! Really, having a newborn is a joy. There are no downsides! You won't miss those longer-than-one-minute showers.
Micro showers, unflushed toilets... It's not scary at all! I like to think of it as our crunchy newborns "encouraging" us to save water!
biglaugh.gif

#20 ·
I was at hobby lobby yesterday and they had a boppy shaped pillow insert for 20.00. Just an alternative if you wanted to try it without the huge cost. You could buy the cover for a boppy online at e-bay or amazon or etsy and save some money that way too.
just a thought!

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbinbopbop View Post

I was at hobby lobby yesterday and they had a boppy shaped pillow insert for 20.00. Just an alternative if you wanted to try it without the huge cost. You could buy the cover for a boppy online at e-bay or amazon or etsy and save some money that way too.
just a thought!
I saw the boppy style pillow in Walgreens for $15. I think it had a cover on it too. It was called something else, but definitely the same shape.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.