Placenta Encapsulation? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Have we already talked about this and I missed it? I tend to lurk and not post much...trying to change that haha! Is anyone encapsulating or eating their placenta?

#2 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 08:57 PM

Pretty sure there was a post about it a ways back.  I'm doing an immediate post delivery smoothie then going to encapsulate some and try to tincture some as well.  Hubby is less than thrilled that I want to do it myself and not fork over unnecessary $$$ for someone else to do it. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#3 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

I am doing the same! What are you thinking with the smoothie? My doula thinks I should cook a piece and eat it instead of smoothie but for some reason that grosses me out more

#4 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 PM

I'm going to try to eat some of it raw immediately postpartum.  If I can't handle it straight, then I'll have my midwife make up a smoothie.  But she says that often times women are surprised at how willing they are to eat it.  You've got all the primal energy right after birth, and that she's had mamas surprise her!

I'm hoping to encapsulate the rest, which is a service my midwife offers.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#5 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie_bride View Post

I am doing the same! What are you thinking with the smoothie? My doula thinks I should cook a piece and eat it instead of smoothie but for some reason that grosses me out more

Grosses me out too.  I've read some cooked recipes online and it's not for me.  I've read that if you blend it up with some cold fruit & either yogurt, milk or ice cream, you can't even taste it.  That's my plan. Hubby is a little grossed out by it but he states that as long as he doesn't have to eat it, he'll be fine with whatever I do with it. 

I've also read that cooking it loses some of the nutritional content....I compare it to cooking meat & vegetables.  The more rare the beef or raw the vegetables, the easier it is to digest and the more nutrients are left in it.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#6 of 22 Old 07-16-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

I've also read that cooking it loses some of the nutritional content....I compare it to cooking meat & vegetables.  The more rare the beef or raw the vegetables, the easier it is to digest and the more nutrients are left in it.

yeahthat.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#7 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie_bride View Post

This is what I'm planning on too (smoothie and then encapsulate). We considered cutting it up and freezing it and then having it in smoothies, DF even said he'd make them for me, but I feel like I might get more from it if we do the capsules. Cooking it to eat doesn't appeal to me at all, either. I'm excited to try it in the smoothie, though.

Kind of a funny aside, DF works in video game production, so primarily with a lot of young guys (he's 26) and I guess some of them were talking in the office about how they had heard some people eat the placenta and how weird that was, and DF jumped in to tell them all the benefits luxlove.gif. I bet they weren't expecting that.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#8 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 AM

I'm having mine encapsulated.  Not touching it myself and neither is DH, lol.  I found someone who will come pick it up and drop it off when it's ready.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 02:02 AM

Mareseatoats, what're your thoughts on why you'd rather have the capsules?  Just less work, or longevity?  I'd be curious.  I had also wondered about maybe saving some and just using it in smoothies frozen for a few weeks postpartum.  I had the whole thing encapsualted the first time, and certainly like the ease of taking those pills!  But if there's a benefit to the capsules vs. frozen, I'd be interested to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareseatoats View Post

DF works in video game production, so primarily with a lot of young guys (he's 26) and I guess some of them were talking in the office about how they had heard some people eat the placenta and how weird that was, and DF jumped in to tell them all the benefits luxlove.gif. I bet they weren't expecting that.

Aw, that'd make me swoon thumb.gif

DH works with 5 other engineers on his team, and 2 of them also have pregnant wives due within a few weeks of me.  He'll occasionally relay conversations that he has with them about their wives' respective pregnancies, and I think he gets kind of a kick out of it.  I can only imagine what they must think of his contributions to those conversations!  But I'll have to ask him if they've talked about placentas yet ROTFLMAO.gif 

#10 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 09:39 AM

My doula is encapsulating mine and giving me a tonic. Seems reasonable to ingest it, but there's no way I'm chewing it! Pills! Pills I can do! ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#11 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 10:14 AM

I found a Chinese Medicine practitioner who makes capsules, and includes herbs that are meant to help with PPD, so that's the route I'm going. Taking it home, and freezing it to put in smoothies would probably be too much work for me, and while DH supports me ingesting the placenta, it totally grosses him out, and I don't think I could get him to help me prepare it.

#12 of 22 Old 07-17-2011, 03:03 PM

I'm definitely going to encapsulate mine, which reminds me that I haven't put any of the supplies to do so on my big to-do list! 

Also, here's the thread where we talked about this a few months ago... I remember that it had some great links for instructions in it. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#13 of 22 Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM

I'm having a woman who offers a great service do it...she will encapsulate it and make it into a tincture as well....She's really reasonable about my making payments and will arrive shortly after the birth and deliver it back to me within 24 hours. I'm really grateful for intelligent medicine options!!!

Blog in profile*Sea turtle mother to 5 boysfencing.gifguitar.gifnotes.gifblueman.gif, and a beautiful rainbow girl dust.gif!!!! married to my best friendsuperhero.gif& enjoying my pup dog2.gif.Lost our little twins *Simon&Alexander* in 2009brokenheart.gif

#14 of 22 Old 07-18-2011, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Mareseatoats, what're your thoughts on why you'd rather have the capsules?  Just less work, or longevity?  I'd be curious.  I had also wondered about maybe saving some and just using it in smoothies frozen for a few weeks postpartum.  I had the whole thing encapsualted the first time, and certainly like the ease of taking those pills!  But if there's a benefit to the capsules vs. frozen, I'd be interested to hear.

I felt like it might be easier to take capsules regularly. I like smoothies, but I have a really sensitive stomach and I'm afraid that I might not be able to have them as often as I really wanted to. I also think that you get a lot more pills than you would smoothie, so I can have them for longer. The other thing I just thought of the other day is that we'll be moving to Denver (from Portland) about a month after LO is due, and how would we move frozen placenta?  But that wasn't the main consideration.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#15 of 22 Old 07-19-2011, 10:28 PM

My LLL leader suggested that I save some of the capsules for about 3 months post partum as well.  She said there is a really big hormone shift around that point and the "saved" capsules can really be a life saver.

Just thought I'd mention that. 

#16 of 22 Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM

I am bumping this up instead of stating a new post. I just found out the assistant that works with my midwives does encapsulation and she only charges 1/4 of what anyone else locally charges! She has not been doing it for very long (I think that is why she charges less) but she learned from someone locally that is very reputable and well known. I am so happy, I really wanted to do it, but not myself nor did I want to pay $300! Plus she will just take it home with her after the birth and hopefully have it done for my three day visit!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#17 of 22 Old 07-29-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2881 View Post

I am bumping this up instead of stating a new post. I just found out the assistant that works with my midwives does encapsulation and she only charges 1/4 of what anyone else locally charges! She has not been doing it for very long (I think that is why she charges less) but she learned from someone locally that is very reputable and well known. I am so happy, I really wanted to do it, but not myself nor did I want to pay $300! Plus she will just take it home with her after the birth and hopefully have it done for my three day visit!

That's awesome!  My midwife charges $200 for it, and a big part of me is considering just freezing it in little chunks and putting them in a smoothie every day because of the expense.  I appreciated the capsules last time, but...  Sigh.  Money money money...

#18 of 22 Old 07-30-2011, 01:00 PM

I know... money... there is no way I could do the $300. Last time I did not do anything with the placenta and also had horrible health after the baby. I had 6 mastitis infections and just a bum immune system the first year and came down with everything! I told Dh maybe the capsules would help with that this time and he said we would do what ever needed to be done the find $75! That year was really rough on all of us.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#19 of 22 Old 08-02-2011, 03:30 AM

the first midwife i worked with always blends some with frozen strawberries, for health, but especially for hemorrhage. but the midwife i ended up working with said that chinese medicine dictates warm/hot foods are best after delivery, so she asked if i would just eat it straight, with a miso soup chaser. i said i'd give it a try.... it was wonderful!!! the piece i had was like excellent sushi, i was so grateful for that experience! unfortunately my partner, in the primal moment himself, took a piece as well, but then slightly gagged, said it was a bit grisly, strong iron tasting and burped it for a while. he ended up cutting off similar parts, making several portions to freeze, and made a berrie smoothie one day, and cooked it in a teriaki sort of sauce another day.... super tasty, but then after that i was done. i think we let one portion go to waste, which i'm a bit sad about now. kept the umbilical cord in the freezer, it's cool to look at from time to time. i read you can cut it in pieces, knot them, and dry them for natural teethers, but never tried.

#20 of 22 Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

My LLL leader suggested that I save some of the capsules for about 3 months post partum as well.  She said there is a really big hormone shift around that point and the "saved" capsules can really be a life saver.

Just thought I'd mention that. 

I can vouch for the 3 months post partum "really big hormone shift" !!!! wish i'd kept some for then.

#21 of 22 Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM

Placenta encapsulation can certainly be a DIY thing, and there are lots of resources/recipes/instructions out there (be careful though, some are NOT so good, or safe). One bonus to hiring a professional is that they can do it quickly, and return your pills or other remedies to you in a timely manner- ideally by the 3rd day postpartum, before your own hormones crash. You could certainly prepare your pills yourself, but many moms are just getting out of hospital at 2-3 days postpartum, and are trying to adapt to the needs of a new baby, breastfeeding, sleep deprivation, engorgement, etc. Professionals also know what they're doing, and more importantly, the WHY of certain methods (raw versus traditional chinese medicine methods, approaches to safety, when additional steps to preparation may be needed depending on the mother's birth or the handling/storage of the placenta at the hospital, etc). Placenta medicines are also very energy-based (especially in TCM), and a positive, respectful attitude is needed to make effective remedies- you don't necessarily want your husband/mother/friend preparing your remedies if they're going to be feeling disgusted/squeamish/grossed-out by your placenta, if that makes sense.

Depending on your area, placenta encapsulation can seem expensive. But consider the amount of money you may have spent on your wedding, your baby's nursery, etc. Your health is of paramount importance, and deserves priority too. Many mothers end up spending money on products and services that they might not have needed if they had consumed their placenta (regarding emotional health/breastfeeding support or drugs, supplements, etc). And honestly, the benefits of increased energy, better sleep, reduced bleeding, earlier and enhanced breastmilk production, and most notably- absence of the baby blues and depression that mothers who consume their placentas report makes it a very worthwhile investment. Quite a few placenta services providers offer payment plans, a sliding scale, or bartering- you can always ask.

mamadurf likes this.
#22 of 22 Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM

I offer placenta encapsulation as a doula, and love filling moms in on the benefits of it. 

Mothering.com did have an article on it awhile ago. Here it is: 

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-birth/the-amazing-placenta

Another great site that is probably the most comprehensive I've seen is:

http://placentalove.blogspot.com

The site above explains the difference between encapsulation and raw consumption of the placenta. The site should be able to answer most, if not all, questions! :)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page