Calling all cervix probe addicts... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Okay, not really...but...for those of you who have/do check your cervix during pregnancy.

Have you ever felt something IN your cervix? This whole last trimester I've felt a "chunk" like thing in my cervix, pretty far up. Right now I'm dilated to 2 and I definitely felt the chunk, it's not on the side of my cervix, it's definitely around that ledge when you get to the top. It's not hard but it's not soft, a hard-ish piece of tissue. Today when I felt I sort of dragged along it with my finger and it did move but I didn't pull on it further as I was scared it would come out and since I have no idea what it is, I don't want to do that. 

Could this just be my mucus plug or is it something I should worry about? It didn't STRIKE me as mucus, especially since I've felt it for a long time now but I can't rule it out. Has anybody had this experience? I promise I'm not going to pull on it again but I will ask my OB if he can see it...it sort of creeps me out. What if it's left over tampon or something? I'm sort of freaking out and this is ridiculously hard to read as it's jumbled. 

Anyone? 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Okay so I must've knocked it loose earlier because when I was changing tonight a piece fell out onto my leg... it does not look like mucus, it looks like a light liver colored flat chunk of something 1/2 the size of a dime. I'm scared!! What is this???? I held it and rubbed it and tried to pull it apart, it definitely looks like a tiny piece of meat. Is this normal? Placenta? Mucus plug but no mucus? 

Do I need to call the doctor over this? 

Okay DH said the thing was greyish/tan (yes I showed him) Not liver colored...I didn't know liver colored meant red...it was not red, maybe a few tiny red spots on it.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#3 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm going to keep responding to myself. I wish I lived somewhere with access to medical care. My doctor is 90 miles away and even if I go there they can't do an ultrasound. I have problem placentas and I always have and now I'm scared this is chunks of my placenta. I've never experienced this though so I don't know if I'm overreacting or what? I'm crying and feel completely irrational and ridiculous. I don't know what to do. I won't be able to talk to my doctor at this time of night, or any doctor. 

#4 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oh my goodness!  I check mine a lot and have never felt anything like that.  I don't really know what to tell you to do.  I think I'd def call my OB and see if they could at least give you some insight as to what it could be.  I'm assuming you and baby are okay as long as you're not bleeding and baby is moving though.

But woah...that is a little unnerving!  I'm sorry!  I have no idea what it could be.

#5 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

My sister in law is a nurse and she said that the plug can look that way (I described it)...I'm not so sure but it made me feel a little better... 

#6 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:48 PM

Yikes, I think I would be freaking out a little too, can you call the hospital where your OB delivers and ask them to page him? hug.gif

#7 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM

We cross-posted, I am glad you got a little information and are feeling better!

#8 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:49 PM

I've NEVER seen my plugs looking like that!!!! But I don't think your placenta would fall off in chunks like that, at least I've never heard of it! Hmm. Keep us posted! If ANYTHING at all changes with discharge/contractions/etc, I'd go in without hesitating.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#9 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:52 PM

have you done a search in google images?

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#10 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I google imaged it and it looked nothing like that...people describe it as a giant booger...This looked like a tiny flake of meat or a sea monster. I'm still nervous and I don't really believe my SIL but I will feel like an idiot explaining it to the nurses. Maybe I should just drive down tomorrow and be seen by my OB...ugh. I just don't know what they can do. Thank you all for helping me in this confusing time! 

#11 of 19 Old 07-18-2011, 10:06 PM

DDCC

Maybe a cervical polyp? I think they can sometimes detach and fall off/out on their own.

ETA: http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-endocervical-polyp.htm

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

#12 of 19 Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 AM

I think if it were placenta you'd definitely be bleeding red.  If a chunk came off.  I had a bit of tissue come out around 12 weeks and it was dark brown/grey.  It was the consistency of a wettish kleenex.  I did have a hematoma early on that resolved (saw it on ultrasound), and that's what I think this clot was for me.  Just an old blood clot coming out.  So, perhaps that's it?  Also, perhaps by moving things around it could have dislodged a bit of old blood, but it's not that thing you felt.  That thing could still be there, and be a polyp (as a PP said)?  I am not a medical person, but I hope you feel better about it soon!  Hugs, mama.

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#13 of 19 Old 07-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Oh!  And if you do a google image search for "endocervical polyp" it does look like what you describe.  Maybe it really did come off on it's own when you moved it?  If you're not in pain, I wouldn't be too freaked out.  But definitely call the doc.  :)

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

#14 of 19 Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM

Any update?

#15 of 19 Old 07-19-2011, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all! Thank you so much for your input, I was definitely going nuts last night...I'm going to ask my OB if he thinks it could be a polyp, my appt is tomorrow, so at least that's not so long to wait!! Nothing else had come out, no blood, mucus or any other weird things... lol

#16 of 19 Old 07-19-2011, 06:18 PM

i would be nervous over this too...hopefully it is nothing to worry about and just another pregnancy thing that happens!

good luck tomorrow, keep us posted.

thinking of you.

#17 of 19 Old 07-20-2011, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

OB said that it was mucus plug and that it can look that way. I guess I'll stick with that for now! I was dilated to two and the plug was gone, so I guess? Thanks again for the help!! 

#18 of 19 Old 07-20-2011, 11:11 PM

So glad to hear! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#19 of 19 Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 AM

That is good news!  I'm sure you are relieved!

User Tag List