Separated abdominal muscles? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So I just found out tonight that the little ridge I see in the middle of my stomach is actually separated abdominal muscles.  I don't have a dip, but rather a little hump, but ONLY if I am straining like sitting up straight from laying down or something like that.  You can't see it at all otherwise and there's never an indentations.  I was sitting up after my midwife measured me and I sat up straight and saw it and asked her about it and she told me that's what it was.  She said I should avoid sitting up straight and always roll to the side first.  She said most first timers have it go back together after baby.

What has been your experience?  I am measuring small, did not gain a ton of weight, was thin before pregnancy, and gained the weight in a slow manner.  Any of you have this before and everything sorta went back to normal after pregnancy...even if you had to work at it?  Nothing I can do about it, but I'm just curious.  It's been there since the end of the first trimester.

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#2 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM

I'm a first timer too, so I'm not sure about after pregnancy. I do have it though. When I had a midwife she said avoid doing anything to strain the abdominal muscles, but I always still sit straight up vs rolling on my side. Also a lot of the times when I have to move heavy things at work I end up using my abdominal muscles.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#3 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 09:25 PM

First timer as well, I have the exact same as you. I am not even capable of sitting up straight anymore lol. I have heard that binding the belly after you give birth can help hold the two sides of the abdominals together so they heal faster. IDK if this is proven, but I think I will give it a try.

#4 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 09:49 PM

Diastasis recti! I swear I learned some massage thing to help that. I'll try to remember to snag my preggo massage book when I'm at my appointment tomorrow. There's TONS of stuff online about how to help it after birth but it's going to bug me if I don't look it up.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#5 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 PM

It happened to me the first time around... I was thin before pregnancy, although I gained probably 45lbs during pregnancy.  I got the ridge in the middle when I tried sit up, etc.  But nothing really came of it afterward.  My abdomen basically went back to normal.  I don't know if they came back together, or what, but I never did special exercises.  It just wasn't a problem and I sort of forgot about it.

This time around I've got the same thing -- the ridge when I have to sit up.  That's really the only time I notice it.  I'm also going to try belly binding this time around, although less for the diastasis recti and more just to hold everything in place.  My insides felt so floppy and gross postpartum last time, so I'm hoping to avoid that feeling with the belly binding.  But I've read that binding helps hold those muscles together too so they can heal faster.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 18 Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 PM

This is my third and I've always had the pointy belly when sitting up.  I'm of average size and I generally gain around 25 pounds and lose them all or maybe a couple extra.  As far as I'm aware, I suffer no lasting effects.  I didn't realize that pointy belly meant that the muscles had separated.

Sarah, mother to Eloïse (5/2005), Lucas (3/2008) and Ilias (7/2011), and due with #4 (March 1, 2014)

#7 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 12:11 AM

Yep, had it since the second tri. Also a first timer. I have no idea if it will go back, but I have always had strong abs, so maybe. I had gathered from my mom that it's just something that happens when you have kids because your belly gets so distended.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#8 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 12:16 AM

DDCC - just picked this up at the library.

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#9 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 04:16 AM

There are many exercises and things you can do to solve it.  It goes away, it's nothing to be worried about, seriously. You just have to do a little work to pull the muscles back together.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#10 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 05:12 AM

Had it the first time, but at my 6-weeks PP appointment, it was gone. I've always had strong abdominal muscles which probably helped, but I worked on it some as soon as I felt the c/s-scar could handle it. Diastasis recti has always terrified me. Of course, I have it again this time, and I'll do my best to have it heal asap. I am very skeptical of belly binding though as it will impair muscle growth. If I can't repair it through targeted exercises, I will get a PT-referal.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#11 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post

DDCC - just picked this up at the library.

I have heard great things about that book!  I know it has an obnoxious name, but my friend (who has researched diastasis recti pretty obsessively for years) swears by it.  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#12 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Cool.  Thanks ladies.  Sounds like it's super common.  I'm not worried about since it is what it is, but I was just curious and I had no idea that's what that bump was when I sat up.  I would imagine it would happen in A LOT of women since how the heck can they not split!!! :)

Oh, and I'm gonna go search about it, but what is belly binding?

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

#13 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FischK View Post

Had it the first time, but at my 6-weeks PP appointment, it was gone. I've always had strong abdominal muscles which probably helped, but I worked on it some as soon as I felt the c/s-scar could handle it. Diastasis recti has always terrified me. Of course, I have it again this time, and I'll do my best to have it heal asap. I am very skeptical of belly binding though as it will impair muscle growth. If I can't repair it through targeted exercises, I will get a PT-referal.

Didn't they fix it when you had your surgery? I've had it everytime, and each c-section the dr has always mentioned he is putting my muscles back together shrug.gif

#14 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyfah View Post

I have heard great things about that book!  I know it has an obnoxious name, but my friend (who has researched diastasis recti pretty obsessively for years) swears by it.  

i know, i hate the name too (almost didn't buy it for that very reason).  have also heard good things about helene byrne's program (exercise after pregnancy and bounce back fast), but my library didn't have them. 

mother is a verb
I GOT MY vbac.gif!!!

#15 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Didn't they fix it when you had your surgery? I've had it everytime, and each c-section the dr has always mentioned he is putting my muscles back together shrug.gif

Good question. Never thought of that. But I don't think so because the upper abdominals continued to look split PP and they only cut on the bottom. However, I do know that with a section they separate the muscles all the way to the bottom, and maybe that's the muscles they put back together. Will ask the next time I've an appt. though.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#16 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Oh, and I'm gonna go search about it, but what is belly binding?

It's just wrapping something around your midsection for a few weeks after you give birth. The general idea is that it offers extra support to your abdomen and back (like when people wear that belt for heavy lifting) and holds things together while you heal. Like Italiamom said, sometimes things can feel really loose and unsupported in there for a while. It is done a lot in other cultures, and a lot of hospitals will recommend doing this for women who've had cs, but I've heard it helps after vaginal deliveries as well.

I was planning on getting a post surgery abdominal wrap type thing like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Post-Delivery-Girdle-Belt-Maternity/dp/B0002UCES4/ref=br_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2TAAQTK9Y5NGZ&colid=2NFRP1B1B2I66

There is also the belly bandit which is kind of a boutique product that uses nicer material, and probably fits better under your clothes:
http://www.bellybandit.com/?gclid=CMyQjvmskKoCFYrJKgodVU6Nyw

#17 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 09:57 AM

DDCC.  I am 16 months PP and still have Diastasis Recti.  My doctor said 15% of women get it PP and, other than surgery, it's here to stay.  I don't like it, but if that's the price I have to pay for my son, so be it.  I have never had the ridge, but I still look about three months pregnant despite being within a couple pounds of my pre-pregnancy weight.  She said my bulge is actually my intestines kind of pressing out since the abdominal wall isn't there to support them...and that no amount of sit-ups or weight loss can make your intestines decide to retract since intestines aren't the same kind of tissue as muscles anyway.  DR can lead to hernias but doesn't always cause them...she said that insurance will not cover DR surgery unless it causes herniation.  Sigh.

Good luck to all of you mamas with your pregnancies!

sleepytime.gif I got tired of my signature, but I still love my children and husband and miss my little brotherkid.gif

#18 of 18 Old 07-20-2011, 08:15 PM

I have super pointy belly when sitting up too....I had no idea that's what it was.  I had it with my last pregnancy as well, but everything went back to normal after she was born.  My concern right now is I've been having a ton of random upper abdominal pain.  I've done a little research that says that this could be the cause. 

Anybody else having really bad upper abdominal pain?

I have found if I get an ice pack and put it on the spot where it hurts it goes away.  I have no idea what is going on...but it HURTS!  It mostly happens at night if I'm laying back reclined on my back but occassionally when I'm on either side as well.  And of course it doesn't help that this baby lives in my ribs constantly.  Part of the relief of the ice pack comes from her moving away from the cold.  Is anyone else having simliar issues????

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page