Tooth issues: turning dark gray? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OMG I am kind of loosing my sh*t over this. I know this doesn't truely warrent it's own post but I am really scared, and just want to know if anyone's btdt. help.gif

I just looked in the mirror and saw that one of my teeth is darkening into a grayish color! It doesn't hurt and isn't sensative, really it feels just like my other teeth. I don't remember hurting it at all either. WTH is going on with it? Has anyone experienced this? I already called my dentist and set up an appt. for monday morning, but I am pretty frantic right now. NOT what I want to be dealing with at nearly 39 weeks! I am so embaressed I don't even want to show DH when he gets home.

Sorry for the frantic post, anything being wrong with my mouth totally freaks me out.

#2 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 02:54 PM

It may be nothing, but graying of a tooth can mean root/nerve death.  I'm glad you are getting it checked out!

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#3 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Ugh, that's what I'm afraid of! I was just in to get my teeth cleaned and checked up on like 2 months ago, and didn't have any cavaties, everything was in good shape, and now this? It's so weird. I swear I would rather have a broken bone than something wrong with my teeth.

Do you know if there is anything they can do to stop it from dying?

#4 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:43 PM

Did they do an x-ray?

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#5 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:45 PM

Usually the only thing you can do is a root canal.Once they start to go, there isn't much you cna do to stop it.

Some other things can cause discoloration, but as it is only on one tooth, root death is most likely.

On the bright side, at least there is no pain.  I have a tooth that is slowly dying and it sometimes hurts soo much!  I gonna have to find the money for a r/c sometimes shortly after this baby is born.

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#6 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:49 PM

One more though.  Do you have any amalgam fillings near the tooth in question?  Sometimes they can leech color into other teeth.

#7 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:52 PM

I actually have some gray discoloration on a couple of my way back teeth. They aren't decayed or anything... I'm betting it's just some discoloration and no biggie, especially if it isn't hurting. Thinking good thoughts for you!
#8 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
One more though.  Do you have any amalgam fillings near the tooth in question?  Sometimes they can leech color into other teeth.

I actually have no idea. Sigh. I think I will call them tomorrow and ask if they can see me sooner than monday, since I am stressing so much over it. Thanks for responding GC

Tamera: I haven't gotten any x-rays since becoming pregnant in Nov., so I guess maybe they missed something?

#9 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I actually have some gray discoloration on a couple of my way back teeth. They aren't decayed or anything... I'm betting it's just some discoloration and no biggie, especially if it isn't hurting. Thinking good thoughts for you!

Thank you I hope you're right!

#10 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM

I had some crazy discoloration on my front teeth when I switched to a tooth soap by an herbalist, and once I switched to a more commercial (but still non-flouride, no chemical stuff) toothpaste, it disappeared. When I asked a naturopath about it, she thought it was because my teeth ARE actually discolored, but that the commercial toothpaste hides it well, whereas the more natural stuff just sloughed off the top coating of fake enamel. When I asked the dentist (total hippy dentist) he agreed with that conclusion. So maybe you've just been eating/drinking something lately that has disturbed that layer of superficial enamel and you actually have discolored teeth? Either way, I hope it turns out well for you :)

#11 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 08:04 PM

I was going to post a thread like this! I've been getting little discolored spots on my front teeth for a couple months now and they really took off recently. They aren't grey, and I don't think they're staining. I was suspecting demineralization but don't know... going to the dentist after I have the baby. Pretty sure they aren't cavities or the like, as my teeth don't hurt at all and they aren't close to the root.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#12 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 08:55 PM

I asked because I read someone online saying they had no indication that they needed a root canal during the exam, but the x-rays revealed a problem. Maybe you can get x-rays done when the baby is a little older.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#13 of 13 Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM

I know that pregnancy will accelerate issues in the mouth.  Your gums are softer, you're more prone to gum disease, gingivitis, and cavities.  And since your dentist couldn't do the x-ray 2 months ago, even if your teeth looked fine then, it's possible that a problem was starting and is just moving along much more quickly because you're pregnant.  I'm glad to hear that you've got an appointment set up, but I wouldn't beat yourself up about it too much if it does need a root canal.  It's probably just a casualty of your pregnant mouth greensad.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page