Is this your 3rd or more pregnancy? How different is it? - Mothering Forums
August 2011 > Is this your 3rd or more pregnancy? How different is it?
madsommer's Avatar madsommer 04:02 PM 07-23-2011

This is my 3rd pregnancy in 4 years and man, it's been rough.  I am 38w 3d and went to L&D twice last week. 

The first time I was extremely nauseated and contracting so the doc on call had me go in.  Barely dilated at all.

Went again 2 days ago with nausea, diarrhea, and regular contractions with a lot of pressure.  Barely 2cm.

I'm just frustrated that I feel like I don't know my body at all.  (Plus the fact that multiple doctors have told me that I will go early.)  And here I am sitting with a lot of pressure but no contractions, just incredibly uncomfortable.  Ok.  I guess I just needed to vent.

But are there any other 3+ pregnancy moms experiencing the same thing?  How different were your pregnancies?

happylemon's Avatar happylemon 05:17 PM 07-23-2011

I don't think I am close enough to delivery to comment on differences yet, I am only 36 weeks. I really dislike when doctors/midwives/random people comment about going early though! It is so not fair! It happened to me last time. I did not go late, but not nearly as early as everyone thought! I do feel much more pressure down low this time, but I have also been carrying much differently the whole time.

I hope things for you kick in soon and we get to see pictures of your cute little one.

CrazyCatLady's Avatar CrazyCatLady 05:21 PM 07-23-2011

I am on my fourth pregnancy now and it's been my easiest so far.  If all my pregnancies were like this...I could do it ten more times lol.

I feel for you though because my third pregnancy was the worst.  I had hyperemesis, pupps, and really every single other terrible thing that can happen to a pregnant person.  So maybe it has something to do with third pregnancies.  My third was also my only boy, so maybe for me that's why it was so terrible.  My third was eventually induced for going overdue, and because I just couldn't handle the hyperemesis anymore.

I hope you feel better soon.  Try and relax and get some rest (easier said than done, I know).  The more you stress about labor, the more it might stall and not get going for you.  Also every pregnancy I feel like labor is coming "any second" earlier and earlier.  And I always deliver late.  I also think it was unfair for your provider to get you excited like that.

Peony's Avatar Peony 07:44 PM 07-23-2011

This is my 4th, lots of contractions, pressure, but baby doesn't seem to have any plans of emerging soon. My first two came at 38 weeks and then my 3rd was 41 so yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up that this one is coming early!

lovingmommyhood's Avatar lovingmommyhood 08:01 PM 07-23-2011

ME! This pregnancy (my fourth) has me to the point of a mental break down. I'm 38 weeks and I already want this baby out so badly. I know, I know, that's so bad of me...I know, I know, "babies come when they're ready"...I KNOW. I have a bicornuate uterus and this pregnancy has literally been one thing after another. Bleeding, high blood pressure, pre term contractions, constant pubic bone pain, constant sickness, exhaustion and constant ob appts because they were so sure I was going to go incredibly early. I am so tired of worrying about my baby and I am to the point of just throwing in the towel. 

I promised myself that this time I wasn't going to obsess at the end, but it's becoming increasingly difficult and I'm so tired of being judged about it. "Selfish moms who can't wait for their baby to come out...they come on their own time!" I know...BUT, a little sympathy would be nice. Obviously I can't get my baby out but that doesn't stop me from wanting to meet my baby...and it doesn't stop me from wishing I was out of this misery. 

So yes, fourth pregnancy has been ten times harder for me than my other three ever were. I am thrown for a loop with all these new symptoms, cramping that means nothing, bloody show that means nothing, lost my plug a week ago, means nothing...GAHHHHHH. Watch out for the crazy woman. :p

madsommer's Avatar madsommer 08:36 PM 07-23-2011
Thank you for sharing/commiserating. I have been under a lot of stress which probably explains tbe false labor. Am just ready to not be so achey anymore. I hope everyone's final weeks and labors bo smoothly. Lovingmommyhood, feel better soon!
jillybeans's Avatar jillybeans 10:47 PM 07-23-2011
Sixth pregnancy, fourth baby, first boy. smile.gif WAY different with this little guy than with his sisters. And the pregnancy is much much harder on me. I've dealt with uterine prolapse, preterm labor, progesterone shots, bedrest (both full and modified), shortening cervix, and it seems a lot more! I'm so ready to meet this littl one, but am praying he stays in for a few more weeks!

As for not knowing your body...I can agree with that one too! I have been contracting SO much for so long that I fear I won't know what is labor and what is not.

and fwiw, my third pregnancy was much harder physically than my first two. I think it's because my 2nd and 3rd pregnancies were less than 9 months apart (2nd/3rd girlies are only 17mo apart) and that my body wasn't back to anything resembling normalcy yet. eyesroll.gif
sarahmck's Avatar sarahmck 12:33 AM 07-24-2011

This is my fourth pregnancy and third baby.  My first two pregnancies were virtually identical.  My babies came at 39+1 and 38+4.  I am 38+1 today.  I've been assuming all along that I would go early again, but now I'm really starting to doubt myself.  This pregnancy has been so different from the other two and I'm always coming up with little theories about why.  My other two are redheads. One of my theories is that this one won't be!

I was never one of those uncomfortable pregnant people, but now I am to some extent.  I'm getting these cervical head butts in the evening that really hurt.  I haven't had the obstetric cholestasis that I had in both of the other pregnancies from 32/33 weeks.  I only got it this week at 37.5.  I wasn't anywhere near as nauseated in the beginning.  I was way more tired.  I know I've been mentally holding off labor until yesterday because school just ended here and there were one million end-of-year activities for my other two and my midwife was away for the last two weeks and only returned yesterday evening.  From now on, there's nothing to wait for.  So we'll see.  But I totally hear you about it being different.

I'm due on August 6th and my parents are arriving on the 13th.  I don't want them here for the birth.  When we scheduled this trip, I assumed that I would definitely have delivered by then.  Now I feel like I just have no way of knowing.  It's frustrating, but I'm just trying to enjoy each evening that remains where I have children who are basically sleeping through and I'm able to stand up and get a snack or whatever when I feel like it without having to sneak away from a baby or finish nursing or rearrange the bloody drop-cloth that I'm lying on, etc.  Also, this could very well be my last pregnancy, so I'm trying to remember that and enjoy the enjoyable parts in case they don't come again.

Hang in there!

Fulhouse's Avatar Fulhouse 08:53 AM 07-24-2011
This Is my 4 th but they have all been many years apart. At almost 35 weeks I have no contractions just like all the others. I don't even have BHs that I am aware of. Your symptoms might be from having so many pregnancies after each other. I am sure it must take a toll. Hope you are feeling better.
Up