belly binding DIY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I plan to do belly binding and my midwives say it could help with the after pains. I can't spend the money on a fancy one so I just got some knit fabric on sale. I got two and half yard, which I know is too sort, but it is supper wide so I cut it in half and am going to surge it to one long length. How long do you think it should be? I think 5 yards would be too long and very hot... I have a small to average frame.

Anyone else doing a DIY binding?

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#2 of 10 Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Kind of? I'm going to use my faja. Those things are so useful! It's just a long strip of fabric, but you use it when you're not pregnant to hold your uterus in place when it's being naughty, when you're pregnant as a support and after as support. :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 AM

A binding is on my list (like so many other things...).  The section on belly binding in this article calls for a strip of fabric about 5 feet long, so it seems to me that 2.5 yards would actually probably be just fine.  Since you cut it in half, you could just serge the edges of one half and be good to go...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#4 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 05:15 AM

Sarah, this seems like such a cool idea.. I'd never heard of it.  Maybe you could start with the 5' fabric, and just cut it if it feels too big?  It's also July/August, so we probably don't need quite as much "heat" as a mama would that delivered in, say, January, ykwim?

#5 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

italiamom - Your right, I do think the midwife suggested 5 feet, but for some reason I was think 5 yards (my preggo brain is in full swing!). I was staring at it thinking 'there is no way I am going to wear that mid August!' She said they would show me how to tie it and how tight to make it, but I think I am going to try using my diaper pins so it is not as bulky.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#6 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 02:13 PM

So is there a reason why using a strip of fabric is prefferable to getting one of the elastic and velcro abdominal binders, like what they use after surgery? I just want to go with the best option, and my fear with a strip of fabric is that winding it around myself will be too much for me, and I don't think DH would be able to do a very good job of it if he tried to help. What do you guys think?

#7 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 02:57 PM

If you can afford it, I'd probably try to buy the binder, vs. the length of fabric.  I've heard that the bought ones (like the bandit) can be less comfortable, because they can bunch or roll down, but then you also have the benefit of not having to wrap yourself/deal with long lengths of fabric, and you don't need any help putting it on.  The wrap I linked to earlier seems like it would be pretty easy to do yourself, but you never know.  I'm just planning on making my own since I already have more fabric in my house than I know what to do with.  I think if you're worried about wrapping up a long length, then go with a premade binder!  As long as it's holding your belly in, that's pretty much the only thing it needs to do...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#8 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

If cost were not a factor I would get a premade binder for ease of use.

Sarah

#9 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah2881 View Post

italiamom - Your right, I do think the midwife suggested 5 feet, but for some reason I was think 5 yards (my preggo brain is in full swing!). I was staring at it thinking 'there is no way I am going to wear that mid August!' She said they would show me how to tie it and how tight to make it, but I think I am going to try using my diaper pins so it is not as bulky.

Yeah, 5 yards in the dead of summer might be a little big hot ROTFLMAO.gif

#10 of 10 Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 PM

Cool, thanks for the info! I think I will get one of the elastic ones then. There are a bunch of different types on amazon that are in between $15-$25, so a lot more affordable than the belly bandit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page