Nesting - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is my third child, and first home birth. I am nesting WAAAAY more than I have ever before. Is it because I am having a home birth that I feel so obsessive about the house being perfect? And perfect can't really happen with a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old. What do you experienced home-birthers who have also had hospital births think? Is there more nesting involved with a home birth?
It's like everything in my house is all wrong. It's all I can do to not start a bunch of painting/renovation projects!

#2 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 06:50 AM

I feel you!  I was the same way with our last birth (first homebirth) and to some extent I feel that way now.  I think it's a totally normal thing to want your birthspace to feel really prepared.  I am just trying to tell myself that my midwife and her assistant do NOT care if our house is perfect, and that it's not going to be perfect after the baby is born for a long time, so I need to try to let go.  Clean bathrooms are one thing, but a pristine guest room and a toy-free boys' room?  Not going to happen!  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#3 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 06:59 AM

Well, I've never had the hospital birth experience to weigh this on, but I'm so critical of my home.  I feel like we should have repainted, and gotten drapes, and I wish we had nicer furniture, and etc, etc.  Ha!  There's only so much you can shine shit.  But, for the most part, all my nesting is geared towards decluttering, dusting, vacuuming, organizing, and making things look presentable.  I don't want anyone coming into my home and being like, geesh, this is how they live??

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 AM

I really like to keep my house picked up at the end. It is more for me then anyone else, I need a neat, clean space to labor in. So yes I do feel the need to vacuum mop more often,then I normally would!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 AM

I've been wondering this too! (And doulawho, I've got a 4 yr old, a 2 yr old, and this is my first homebirth too! lol)  I'm being a little neurotic about how clean the house is and I have ridiculously long to-do lists that I somehow manage to actually accomplish every week.

I can handle the normal cleaning of the house though...it's when my cleaning gets weird that baby is not far off!  Last pregnancy I was vacuuming blinds and with my first, I HAD to give my two 65 pound dogs a bath when I was 41 weeks. 

Loving mama to ds C (6/07) and dd N (11/08). Joyously welcomed our rainbow1284.gif, dd2 A (8/11).

#6 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babydoll1285 View Post

I can handle the normal cleaning of the house though...it's when my cleaning gets weird that baby is not far off!  Last pregnancy I was vacuuming blinds and with my first, I HAD to give my two 65 pound dogs a bath when I was 41 weeks. 

Oh!  Vacuuming blinds isn't normal??  I spent half an hour with a swiffer cloth dusting each individual slat on my bedroom blinds the other day.  I thought that was perfectly normal!  Haha! lol.gif

I'm a bit obsessive about keeping the toys off the floor, keeping it swept/vacuumed, etc.  Even DD the other day commented, "Mom, you really like things clean!"  I was upstairs in DH's office for like 10 minutes and could NOT not clean it.  I picked up everything off the floor, organized all his boxes, organized his CDs that Nora had strewn about, etc.  I found it very hard to be in a mess.  It's like I need things to be orderly -- definitely for myself.  I asked DH yesterday if the mess in the living room (toys, etc) bothered him as much as it bothered me and he laughed and said no.  He can deal with a few toys!  LOL!  A few?  To me it looked like a daycare had exploded!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#7 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 08:07 AM

This is my second and will be a birth center birth instead of hospital, and I don't think I really nested at all with my first one, but this time it's out of control! With my first I lived in a TINY one bedroom apartment and knew I would be moving out of state a few weeks after the baby's birth, so I think that contributed to the lack of nesting.

With this one, I keep starting more and more projects and cleaning and organizing everything. It's great! I feel like I'm getting things done that have needed to be done for two years and I've just never gotten around to them.

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#8 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 10:10 AM

This is our first homebirth, but I have absolutely done more nesting with this pregnancy.  With my first pregnancy I hated my apartment so much that it was the major factor in just choosing a birth center.  I cried when I had to come "home."

All I can say is that we have done a SURPRISING amount of large furniture rearrangement for a woman who is 9 months pregnant and a DH with a bad back.

My house is awful right now.  Just awful.  I had a breakdown about it yesterday...  With all of the furniture rearranging, smaller items get stacked and pushed and -- it looks like my house exploded.  If I were to go into labor right now I would be mortified.  But the compulsive need to get everything in its place before labor day is just crushing!  And not as easily done with a 2 year old constantly messing up my whole house.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#9 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 11:03 AM

This is our second HB, with the last HB I cleaned like crazy! ie: vaccuming the walls!!!!! YES you read that right.. I swore there was dirt and dust everywhere, ceiling fans, under the stove, etc... with my first DD ( hossy birth) I didnt do as much cleaning. I totally think its a thing of, I am having my baby here and it needs to be perfect! thought process...

I was also a bit concerned as to what the mw and her assistant would think at the birth if it was dirty. this time around we are planning to have no one except me and my hubs. no assistants, so Im a little bit MORE on top of cleaning because I want it to be easier for DH to find things, have places to put things, and not be unable to "work" ... if that makes sense.

Hey I always say to my DH, that the only time our house looks as clean and organized is when Im pregnant... and he says thats the reason he keeps me pregnant:) gotta love him!

mama to 4 awesome little beings, F 6yrsknit.gif, P 3yrshomebirth.jpg, N 2yruc.jpg, A 9mths,,uc.jpg, expecting #5  in the spring joy.gif
#10 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 11:25 AM

This is our second hm... in fact the MW are suppose to be here in about 20min for their visit. But anyway, my nesting has been odd this time around. Yes I like the house clean but more I am into painting. Painting the front porch, staining the deck, and obsessed about getting some hanging plants for the front porch when its all done. WTF?! Perhaps its hurts my back too much and I can't breathe the baby is pushing so high that I don't need to clean everything inside. But I think its probably because I have two weeks left of school and am putting everything off till then. Which I am fearing will be an over explosion of nesting. lol if that is possible....

#11 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 11:40 AM

I wish I was nesting!! This place needs cleaned and I don't waaaanna.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#12 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 PM

This is me!!! I was able to feel nest-y enough to get all the baby clothes and diapers taken care of, but the house is a dump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

I wish I was nesting!! This place needs cleaned and I don't waaaanna.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#13 of 15 Old 07-25-2011, 07:44 PM

this is my third baby and second home birth. I feel like I am nesting proportionately to how life has changed (I have an almost 5yro and a 2.5yro)! There was not as much to do or keep organized the first time. I could clean a room and it would stay clean for more than an hour! I do feel like I am doing way more this time, but there is just way more to do! I have to let go of some of it though because the second I go into labor and lock myself in my room (which I will not come out of for a few days after baby is born) the counters will be cluttered, the toys will be everywhere, there will be crumbs on the floor (shutter)... I have dusted all the blinds and cleaned floor boards and all those weird things that have to be done when I am huge! Right now my focus is to try and vacuum everyday, one of the midwives is allergic to dogs and I do not want her to be miserable, and i am trying to keep the bathrooms clean, but that only lasts an afternoon usually...

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#14 of 15 Old 07-26-2011, 05:39 AM

I am having a homebirth (2nd planned, 1st that looks like it'll really happen) and am totally nesting. My DH doesn't get it. This morning (wasn't even 7am) and I was pulling the knobs off the stove and kind of freaking out because of all the grease splattered on them. And I can't get it off!

And you nesters will commiserate with me about this. My cats had a fight this morning (as I was cleaning the knobs). One chased the other and when the one gets chased/scared she pees. So I had a cat fleeing through my house, down the stairs, throughout the basement, peeing as she went. And my midwives are due at 8:30 this morning for our homevisit. I feel like shrieking. Seriously. 

#15 of 15 Old 07-26-2011, 06:04 AM

I had the urge to clean the bathroom in the middle of the night when I got up for one of my frequent trips to pee.  I woke up this morning and the first thoughts in my head were of washing the walls and cupboards in the kitchen, vacuuming and mopping all of the floors, then washing all of the curtains.  I nearly had a tantrum when I made it downstairs and saw that my children had left a mess on the living room floor.  That got cleaned before I would help them get breakfast.  I think the nesting is finally full-on. 

If I was having a homebirth I am positive that I would be even more nesty!  I think I might have to let the older kids go live with one of their grandparents until the baby came to keep me sane!  lol

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (7) and Nathaniel (6).  Expecting Olivia in August! 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page