mamas with babies - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#331 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Jennah- So sorry. hug2.gif My second child, DD2, got seriously ill at that age as well. It is so difficult to be stuck in the hospital, you feel so helpless, all the poking and prodding of the baby. Our adventure ended up lasting several months, I'm hoping your's is over soon. Glad you have wifi now. That was my saving grace through it all and umm, probably 15K worth of my post count, it was the only thing that kept me sane. I'll be thinking of you.

Carrie- Weekly chats sound good to me. Sorry to hear about Nora. That is always been the way it works with my other kids, the regression isn't immediate, just when you think things are going ok, bam! My almost 5y has been peeing lately. Mostly at night, she still has to wear GoodNights anyway, but now she is refusing to go pee before bed and peeing through them on a nightly basis. I got so mad last night when she woke up me at 11pm because she had ALREADY wet the bed. And then she peed in her booster seat this morning on the way to school. She has been potty trained for almost 3 years!!!!!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Ha ha Jill, missed your post! Yeah, I get the looks when I have all 4 as well. I feel like a mama duck with all her ducklings trailing behind her half the time. 

Off to call the very first lead I have on a new sitter! And now my work phone is ringing... irked.gif Grrrr. Sometimes I just want to be left alone, thank goodness for voice mail. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#333 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 09:29 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Jennah how scary! I'm glad your DS is ok. hug2.gif

Well, apparently one or more of the tests came back "slightly out of range," but they won't tell me more, apparently they sent a detailed letter to my doctor but got the wrong address, and my doctor's on lunch break so I have to wait to ask him to call and find out. mecry.gif My baby girl HAS to be healthy and strong! My only consolation is they said if it were bad, they would have called right away, but I'm not sure I believe that. greensad.gif I see the list of diseases but I don't know what most of them are. Are they all awful?

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#334 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Tear - HUGS!!  Remember it's just a screening.  I'm sure baby girl is going to be FINE.  When Nora's flagged for galactosemia, we just had to do another test - a diagnostic genetic test - and it turned out she was only a carrier.  It's going to be ok.  I hope you get that answer soon though!!  I'll keep you and baby girl in my thoughts!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#335 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 AM

Tear - (((hugs))) I am sorry this is getting so frustrating, I hope you can get in touch with your doctor soon.

Jill - Go take a nap :) ! My DDs 5th birthday was two days after Kendra was born, luckily we had her party a couple weeks early, but it was still tiring because I wanted her B-day to be special and not over shadowed by the baby.

Carrie - I am sorry about Nora. My Nora seems to be adjusting well, but my oldest is driving me crazy! She is five and crying more than the 2 year old and infant combined!

So, Kendra's cord fell off two weeks ago, but her belly button is still bleeding. Not gushing, but there is always a scab and if I wear her tummy to tummy in the wrap or sling it will start to bleed again, so I am not wearing her much or putting her in cloth because they rub on her belly button more. I want it to be done. Do you think Goldenseal would help?

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#336 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 10:42 AM

Awww thanks guys for all the hugs -- I really felt them and needed them.wink1.gif

baby_cakes: going to weekly chats is fine by me....sorry to hear about Nora....my dd who is turning 4 in December is also having trouble and peeing before she gets to the bathroom.  She also decided that she wants to nurse again and I thought she would be grossed out by the breastmilk so I let her taste it and she was like yummy!!!!  And she proceeded to tell me how one breast was for her and one breast was for her little brother.  Lol I was shocked and tried to tell her that he needs both and she got upset saying that he has to learn to share!!!!!  Now whenever I breastfeed him she wants me to pull out the other breast for her and since she doesn't know how to breast feed its painful for me when she tries.  So I try to get her to run an errand for me to make her forget lol sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

jillybeans lol thats how I used to look with my kids and its happened many times especially when school starts....well I remember using the double stroller for my now 5 year old ds and almost 4 year old dd and holding the now 8 year old dd's hand to drop off the now 10 year old ds.  lol none of them would go alone the first days so I would have to walk them to their classrooms.  Lol I will never forget those days.  It was so hectic and tiring and the double stroller was so heavy!

Oooooh Peony that must have been awful.....yes I hope we do get out quickly but they keep coming up with more tests to try on ds.  Yea, I'm already feeling more sane just writing these posts!!! :)

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#337 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 AM

Poor mommas!  It's always something isn't it.

My son's "bruises" have returned.  He now has 2 on his spinal column and one on his lower right abdomen.  The weird part about it all is they have tiny hard spots underneath them which is now concerning me even more.  He had the one about a week and a half ago and I thought it was just from his vertebrae rubbing on something like the car seat but now that it's back and he has an additional one above it along with the one on his tummy I'm a little freaked.

I cried myself to sleep last night.  I just can't help but let my imagination run wild.  I have a call into his pedi but they are booked.  Waiting for a call from the nurse who can approve a double booking.  SIGH.....

I can't get my milk to regulate either.  I'm so tired of these leaky boobs and baby choking to the point he loses his breath.  I've been block feeding for weeks with little success.  His poops start out yellow in the am but then by the afternoon they are more green than yellow.  I'm guessing the lactose is just moving through him too quickly.  They aren't frothy or slimy so I'm just trying to deal with it the best I can. 

Hang in there everyone...it has to get better....right?

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#338 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 12:55 PM

I've been reading this thread but I'm not so great with the one-handed typing so I haven''t posted much. 

My freak-out for the moment is that I tried on the dress I'm supposed to be wearing as a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding next month and I can't get it zipped!  The issue seems to be my boobs..or maybe my rib cage?  It is 2 sizes bigger than my pre-pregnancy size.  Gah.  I don't have any properly fitting nursing bras, maybe that would help?  I'm not sure what to do, it seems unlikely my boobs will get smaller in the next month. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#339 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennah_Gole View Post

baby_cakes: going to weekly chats is fine by me....sorry to hear about Nora....my dd who is turning 4 in December is also having trouble and peeing before she gets to the bathroom.  She also decided that she wants to nurse again and I thought she would be grossed out by the breastmilk so I let her taste it and she was like yummy!!!!  And she proceeded to tell me how one breast was for her and one breast was for her little brother.  Lol I was shocked and tried to tell her that he needs both and she got upset saying that he has to learn to share!!!!!  Now whenever I breastfeed him she wants me to pull out the other breast for her and since she doesn't know how to breast feed its painful for me when she tries.  So I try to get her to run an errand for me to make her forget lol sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't!

that's what Nora is doing.  She's 2 (will be 3 next month) and is just calling it at the very last possible second that she has to go.  She still needs help getting on and off and wiping, so one of us HAS to go with her.  But there's literally a second warning before she starts going in her panties.  That doesn't work!  Especially if I'm nursing or something.  But even when DH and I are just here doing nothing she still has accidents and there's no excuse.  Except, well...that she's still young and adjusting to all these changes in her life.  Ha.

She also wanted to try breastmilk.  She drinks expressed milk in a glass.  Maybe you could try that with your daughter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

I cried myself to sleep last night.  I just can't help but let my imagination run wild.  I have a call into his pedi but they are booked.  Waiting for a call from the nurse who can approve a double booking.  SIGH.....

I can't get my milk to regulate either.  I'm so tired of these leaky boobs and baby choking to the point he loses his breath.  I've been block feeding for weeks with little success.  His poops start out yellow in the am but then by the afternoon they are more green than yellow.  I'm guessing the lactose is just moving through him too quickly.  They aren't frothy or slimy so I'm just trying to deal with it the best I can. 

hug2.gif  I'm sure everything is just fine, but I hear you on the worry.  I worry over every thing that isn't 100% normal.  And, mama, I hear you on the leaky, choking, sticky hot mess that defines the first weeks of bf'ing.  It DOES get better and less messy!  Soon this will all be in the past!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

I've been reading this thread but I'm not so great with the one-handed typing so I haven''t posted much. 

My freak-out for the moment is that I tried on the dress I'm supposed to be wearing as a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding next month and I can't get it zipped!  The issue seems to be my boobs..or maybe my rib cage?  It is 2 sizes bigger than my pre-pregnancy size.  Gah.  I don't have any properly fitting nursing bras, maybe that would help?  I'm not sure what to do, it seems unlikely my boobs will get smaller in the next month. 

Oh geez!  Hmm.  Can it be let out at all?  Is there a scarf or any extra fabric that can be added to a seam to give you more room?  That sucks, dude.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#340 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 01:30 PM

How is everyone's weight loss going? I"m VERY frustrated because I'm eating super healthy but my weight loss has stalled at 15lbs at almost three weeks postpartum. SUPER bummed. greensad.gif

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#341 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Here is our new Social Group!!

http://www.mothering.com/community/groups/show/3/august-2011-ddc

Right now, you just have to click the button that says "Join" and you'll be in.  In the future, if we end up having issues with non-august 11 ddc members joining and causing issues, I can remove them and we can close the group.  

#342 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennah_Gole View Post

Amazing how quickly this thread increases in size!!!

I haven't been on for about 7 pages and thats because ds got a high fever of 39.6 and I rushed him to the ER.  He had just turned 3 weeks old. Ds was hospitalized and that meant I was hospitalized with him since we are bf'ing.

It was a very hard time in the ER as the dr explained its dangerous for babies under 2 months old to get fevers this high and they would have to run all sorts of tests including a spinal tap, a blood test, urine test, etc.   They wanted to make sure that he didnt have meningitis. It was awful watching them put in the IV drip and even worse hearing him screaming (they wouldnt let us stay in the room) while they did the spinal tap.

This is our third day and most of the tests have come back negative.While we have been here they have been giving him two different kinds of antibiotics through the IV and will continue for another couple of days even if all the tests come back negative. 

Ds started to get diarrhea which I would think would be from the antibiotics and throwing up a bit so they ordered a stool test and some viral test by squirting saline up his nose and then sucking it out to get fluid from inside the nose.

Frankly, Im so sick of all these tests but I'm so glad that ds is okay and the fever went away yesterday but Im all babied out.  I mean its hard to be in a hospital room with no one to relieve you but for minutes.

I can't wait to get out of here and have ds back home again amongst his siblings.

I guess the most important thing is that he is okay.  I'm rambling ... just happy that the IT department at the hospital finally got the wifi connection to work.

So sorry to hear what you guys are going through. I'm glad you have wifi access, please keep us posted so we can all keep you and your LO in our thoughts! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#343 of 349 Old 09-07-2011, 03:28 PM

AFM, I have mastitis... ugh! I just kicked the thrush and now I'm on abx.  I got some diflucan and am going to keep up the probiotics for both of us, vinegar wipes for my breasts a few times a day, and nystatin cream for me. Fingers crossed the thrush doesn't come back!  But the good thing is that my MW said I should be feeling much better by tomorrow or Friday, which is great because I don't think I've been breast pain-free since River was born.  

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#344 of 349 Old 09-09-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

So sorry to hear what you guys are going through. I'm glad you have wifi access, please keep us posted so we can all keep you and your LO in our thoughts! 

:) thanks we just got out today.....first they said he had to be on 7 days of antibiotics even if all the tests came back negative.  So I said fine....then last night poor ds started screaming from the IV.  I noticed that somewhere it was leaking and I showed it to the nurse who was like okay its just a loose connection and proceeded to screw all the connections and make sure they were all tight.  Ds was fine for awhile and then came time for the antibiotics and I woke up to her putting more tape on the IV.  She just said it needed more tape and looked like it was moving around so I was like fine.  After she hooked up the line to his IV and it started going ds started screaming and wouldn't stop.  He wouldn't feed and wouldn't calm down.  I called the nurse who kept saying nothing is wrong with the IV and I was like you need to take it out.  You have seen his manner these past days, he hasn't been crying at all, I know as a momma that he is screaming in pain from this IV!!!  The nurse said to me, well let him just finish the antibiotic its almost done and then we can check....I screamed NO and you better take it out NOW!!....

So she went and got a scissor and started cutting the tape and got the IV out.  I swear it wasn't two minutes and he was back being calm again.  I told her see as a mom I know what I'm talking about.  It was hurting him so bad.  His hand was double the size of the other one....his fingers were soooo swollen.  The nurse didn't say much but she ran to get some cotton and hot water to do some warm water compresses on his little hand that was now double in size since the IV fluid was going into his hand instead of his vein. 

I was soooo pissed off at the nurse that I called the nurse in charge and yelled and yelled.  I also filed a complaint on paper and they are supposed to call me back soon....we will see...

Stupid nurses should listen to mothers...we know when our kids are in pain and we know when they are just crying out of being hungry or needing a diaper change.... but seriously it was quite obvious it was the IV since she saw how mellow my Ds was from day 1!

She wanted to get another IV put in and I told her please call the doc and see if this is necessary ...technically we have two more days of IV antibiotics and all the tests came back negative...IS THIS REALLY NECESSARY? 

Thank God she called the doc and he said he would come by in the morn and see my ds and make a decision.  When he came, I told him the story and he looked over ds and said they would do a blood test and if all was fine then there was no need for seven days of antibiotics and we could actually go home but would have a visit to the doc after a week to redo the blood test and make sure everything was fine.

I wasn't too happy about more poking for ds but if it meant we could go home then fine.  So they did the blood test and everything was fine and they let us go home.

sorry soo long all I can say is HOME SWEET HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#345 of 349 Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Jennah, so glad that you finally got to go home. I couldn't imagine being away from home with my little man like that. 

I hope you find some sort of resolution about the situation with the IV. I would be pissed if that happened to me. Especially since they wouldn't listen to you. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#346 of 349 Old 09-10-2011, 12:15 AM

Wow, Jennah that must have been so hard! Good for you for having the strength to insist...poor bub! I'm glad you guys are home, and I hope the next blood test shows all clear.

love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Remembering our 3 losses

#347 of 349 Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM

Poor little guy.  IV infiltration hurts in the adult so I can only imagine how your ds felt.  I'm glad the doc was more sympathetic and you were able to go home.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#348 of 349 Old 09-14-2011, 04:45 AM

Thanks everyone....ever since we got home I have been so paranoid about ds.  I don't even wanna bathe him cuz I'm so afraid he will catch a cold. 

How is everyone sleeping?  My ds is very mellow and calm but doesn't sleep well like most newborns.  He sleeps best on top of me but once I put him down give him ten minutes and he's up again.  So sleep-wise I haven't been getting much.  Just wondering how everyone is coping in that area.  I wake up so irritable and grouchy and have a hard time dealing with my other kids.  I'm so glad though that school has started and at least I get them up and ready and they are out of the house for a good while.  It makes a difference to my sanity level since I'm already lacking sleep I get upset soo easily and I'm so impatient with my other kids.  Its sad but true. 

Ds was one month old yesterday!!  Wow, I can't believe it!  I can already see him filling out ... his cheeks lol are starting to hang down and he's getting some folds here and there and definitely feels heavier.  But his whole forehead and cheek area are full of bumps.  I thought maybe it was from the kids kissing him too much but I'm not sure.

#349 of 349 Old 09-14-2011, 04:57 AM

Jennah, I'm anxious too but I think time is helping. hug.gif DD gets bumps and we think it's from milk so we've started washing her face and neck more frequently and it seems to help.

Remembering our 3 losses

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page