mamas with babies - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Yay! He did so well! We went in early because he was crying for food - after a day of force feeding, I couldn't stand to tell him to wait an hour. So we went in and weighed him - she was shocked. :D He'd gained 10 oz. She said she'd never seen anyone do that - and that was after a HUGE poo. So. He's at a 6% weight loss from birth weight :)

And then we got out a crane and hefted out a boob to nurse him - yeah, milk isn't going to be an issue. He was assigned to eat 45ccs every two hours, right? And he got 60ccs just from my right boob. Heh. He whined a bit because it was a lot harder to nurse a boob than a bottle, but then he was happy. He only got about 4ccs from the second, but he was pretty much asleep by then. We had a use a shield on that one because I had so much milk that my nipple would suck in. Heh.

We're doing another day of the pumping and measuring, but I get to nurse when it's dark.

He's so good ;)

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal you've been through!  I'm so, so happy to hear that Charlie is doing so well.  I'm sure that's because his Momma is such an amazing one!  You'll be nursing exclusively in no time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Oh Becky I'm so sorry I missed your earlier post and didnt offer hugs!  But I'm so glad everything went so well!  Charlie is a CHAMP! Hooray!!!  How stressful.  

AFM - Really aggravated with my pediatrician.  So.  To catch everyone up, yesterday after the pediatrican, I took Finn to the cardiologist and then was planning to take him for the bili test.  Well, 3 hours later, we were done at the cardio, and I was WIPED.  I mean, my stitches were sore, I was bleeding red again, I felt dizzy and faint, and I was crying over nothing.  I was talking like a delirious person, seriously.  He had 2 EKGs and a heart u/s and they found nothing wrong.  Nothing.  NOTHING.  While I'm glad there's nothing wrong, I can't help but be really pissed off with my pediatrician for making it seem like there was really something wrong with his heart that i had to rush to get this done.

I blew off the bili test b/c I felt so weak, and came home.  Fuck it.  

This morning, I get a call from my ped complaining I didn't get the bili check done.  I got fresh on the phone a bit, and told the receptionist what was up.  That it took too long at the cardiologist, I'm dealing with engorgement and other pp things, and had to get home and rest.  She was annoying and said the Dr would want me to go today. I said no, I'm not going today, I need to rest.  I'm going to put him in the sun, give him lots of milk, and if I feel it's necessary I'll take him Monday.

I'm still torn if I"m going to take him or not, I don't personally feel like he's that yellow but what do I know, right?  irked.gif

Anyway, I called my mw b/c the Ped also had all these other stupid questions that I think were just to bully me.  Things like his blood type which we just don't have yet b/c it's off to genetic testing, how many vessels his cord was (wtf do they need that for??) Something about a Coombs test?  And now this bili thing.  My mw is the best, she's going to fax them the nb exam to get them off my back.  And she gave me the name of a new ped!!

The name of a new ped sounds like a fabulous idea!  To have to go through so much just days after giving birth must be hard.  hug.gif  I hope you get that new ped's name very soon so you don't have to go back to the jerk, who sounds like someone completely against homebirth. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#62 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 05:40 PM

I have a question.  I never got engorged this time.  Will is 9 days old, milk came in between days 3-4.  He's making TONS of poopy and heavy pee diapers, and gained 8 oz in the last 2 days, and is content.  He's just a really efficient nurser, and doesn't comfort nurse, like, at all.  Jeb comfort nursed 24/7, and I def got engorged with him, but I'm thinking Will just hasn't stimulated my breasts nearly as much as Jeb did in this first week?  Is total lack of engorgment something to worry about?  My breasts feel full when it's time for him to nurse (about ever 2 hours, usually with one 3 hour stretch in the morning), and I feel a good let down when he nurses and he swallows a bunch.  Do you think zero engorgment indicates a supply issue even if everything else seems fine?

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#63 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I have a question.  I never got engorged this time.  Will is 9 days old, milk came in between days 3-4.  He's making TONS of poopy and heavy pee diapers, and gained 8 oz in the last 2 days, and is content.  He's just a really efficient nurser, and doesn't comfort nurse, like, at all.  Jeb comfort nursed 24/7, and I def got engorged with him, but I'm thinking Will just hasn't stimulated my breasts nearly as much as Jeb did in this first week?  Is total lack of engorgment something to worry about?  My breasts feel full when it's time for him to nurse (about ever 2 hours, usually with one 3 hour stretch in the morning), and I feel a good let down when he nurses and he swallows a bunch.  Do you think zero engorgment indicates a supply issue even if everything else seems fine?

I don't think it's something to worry about since you are seeing good poos and pees, and that great weight gain.  Engorgement isn't something that NEEDS to happen, it's something that happens b/c the breast just isn't being emptied as fast as it should be.  It seems like Will is doing a really good job of emptying the breast. 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#64 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 05:52 PM

Carrie, thanks so much for the quick reply!  As I was typing, I was thinking, I know this baby is fine... it's just weird to have zero engorgment, lol!  And to have a baby who doesn't like to just hang out on the boob!  I'm kind of confused about what to do with my time! 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#65 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 PM

Becky, I went through something very similar in the first week where Eleanor lost a bunch of weight and was too weak to latch very well, and I got engorged and she could barely get any milk at all. I had to use a sheild for the first two weeks, and  I had to pump and give her bottles just to get her weight up. It was sooo stressful and scary for me! I just wanted to offer you hugs, and encoragement. Now that we are 3 weeks in, I am EBFing, and the engorgement and flat nipples have gotten better so that we are sheild free as well! I'm so glad to hear Charlie has gained back most of his weight, yay!

AFM: Eleanor was soooo awesome today! She was awake and happily looking around and being cute for 2 hours straight this morning. We got to play with her and do some tummy time. It's so cool to see how she is starting to notice the world around her now. She is starting to be able to hold her head a little bit too. BFing is starting to get easier too, which is such a relief. Everything is starting to feel more normal around our house. Also, she is up to 8lbs on thursday which is so exciting for me since she got down to 6lbs and 4oz in her first week. My only complaint is lack of sleep. She wakes up every 2 hours to eat all through the night, sometimes she is kind of fussy and takes a while to get back to sleep, so I feel like I am barely getting an hour and half at a time. I miss sleeping through the night soooo bad. I try to nap during the day, but it is really hard for me. Is there anything I can be doing to make her less nocturnal, or should I just let her do her thing and hopefully she will grow out of it?

#66 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I have a question. I never got engorged this time. Will is 9 days old, milk came in between days 3-4. He's making TONS of poopy and heavy pee diapers, and gained 8 oz in the last 2 days, and is content. He's just a really efficient nurser, and doesn't comfort nurse, like, at all. Jeb comfort nursed 24/7, and I def got engorged with him, but I'm thinking Will just hasn't stimulated my breasts nearly as much as Jeb did in this first week? Is total lack of engorgment something to worry about? My breasts feel full when it's time for him to nurse (about ever 2 hours, usually with one 3 hour stretch in the morning), and I feel a good let down when he nurses and he swallows a bunch. Do you think zero engorgment indicates a supply issue even if everything else seems fine?

This is what's happening with me too. I got really engorged with Nickolas and ended up battling low supply issues for months! Nickolas wasn't gaining weight very well either. I ended up being instructed to supplement with formula while I pumped and used galactagogues to increase my production. I did end up able to EBF after about 2 weeks, but man was it an uphill battle from there.

This time, Alexander is a really great nurser AND comfort nurses quite often and...nothing! No engorgement, no leaking, nearly empty boobs most of the time. But he is gaining weight just fine and rarely fusses except for in the early evening. I'm just having a hard time accepting that my body can do this without any issues. I guess I need to quit assuming there's going to be a problem until there actually IS a problem.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#67 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Only have a minute, but no, lack of engorgement isn't a bad thing. If present with other signs, very weight gain, etc... then maybe something is going on. But just lack of engorgement, no. Some moms never get engorged and it is less common in 2nd + moms. Engorgement is a combo of problems, more mature milk coming in quickly and swelling/inflamation of the breasts because of the milk. After birth your body has no idea how much milk to make so it just makes milk and sometimes it makes A LOT of milk. Because 1st time mom's breasts have never done this before, they can get engorged more then moms that have BF previously, milk ducts working for the first time, etc... It still happens in moms that have BF before but it also itsn't uncommon for someone to experience what you are goign through, prior engorgement but not the next time. I was only engorged the first time, and haven't been the last 3 babies. Mine certainly have no problem gaining weight! This guy didn't lose any weight at all. 

Ok and now off to bed I think, it was a day for hell for me. All my kids have something different going on. The baby is crying all the time, my 8y is being a witch, the 4y is crying at the drop of a hat and smacking the 2y every time I'm not looking, and the 2y is just being one very sad little boy. Oh and the 8 and 4y are trying to kill each other with their fighting. OMG. School starts Wed and I don't think I will make it till then. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#68 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:

Yay for EBF!!!  I'm so glad your hormones are mellowing out, mama.  It is a very emotionally trying time, and with your DH out of the country I couldn't imagine how lonely it must get.  You are doing awesome!  thumb.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by elove View Post

carrie, i would trust your instincts wayy before their scripted health check up list..  but you know that already thumb.gif

noorjahan, PPD or not I would cry too if DH was out of town yet along out of the country! you are doing great and big big kuddos fr turning the tide around w bfing!

Thank you both! It was really HARD work but I did it and am so happy that Eliana is now EBF after being on formula for about aone and half weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephaniqua View Post

noorjahan, you give me some hope! I was so upset when I found out I had to give my babe formula, but now the ped is having us cut down to only once in the morning and once at night!! So hopefully my supply gets going and by next Friday he will be EBF! My family doesn't get why giving him formula is a big deal, so it makes it even harder to handle. At least my husband understands.

Oh! There is definitely hope! Eliana was in NICU first 7 hours of her life. She had issue with breathing, and low blood sugar. I really didn't like the way ped there handled her...they were so weird! I had to fight to get her the same day and brought her with me to my room. They were just stalling for no reason...I kept asking if she was sick.."no"...can I have her? "umm..not yet"...why? umm..we are waiting for blood result...blood result was fine, so was x-ray...in the mean time they gave her formula without my permission....apparently her blood sugar was so low they couldn't be bothered with asking me for permission. But thanks to my doula who kept asking for a hospital grade pump, I pumped out the colestrum and was able to give her. She had MASSIVE problem with latching.....first day she latched fine (I thought!) but then after that she couldn't. Also, I've that flat nipple kind of situation so it was hard. And I had to formula feed her caz I was scared of her low sugar thing.

I gave birth on a Thursday and came home on Saturday. I believe my milk came in that day. Baby not latching and me not having a pump ...on Sunday I was in pure hell!!! Engorgement at its worst! I had no idea this would be so painful! I texted my doula and she gave me a # of a pharmacy that  rents out hospital grade breast pump...being Sunday they were closed. She then gave me a # of a woman who apparently rents out breast pump. I called her and unfortunately she told me she retired from this business! And then she gave me Medela's # that I could call to find out about their breast pump renting thing. I called Medela...and guess what? They were closed too..!! I freaked out so soooo much! I regret not having a pump beforehand so bad that day.

Next day, sent my sis to babisrus and got a single motor Medela's pump. And I was sooo happy to have that. My doula had me on a pump one hour feed the next...pump again...feed the next hour schedule for 2 days. It was gruesome...but it worked! Also, for supply I ate Black Cumin...worked like charm!!! Just couple of days later...my breasts were leaking like crazy! My SIL tried fenugreek to boost supply..but for her that didn't work. But Black Cumin does work wonder!

So, that has been my rough path of getting Eliana to convert to a breastfed baby!

Now, a Q- since becoming EBF, Eliana seems to have trouble with poop. Once she went three days without bm, which is normal I heard. But as of today she hasn't gone for 2 days...but the difference is poor baby is trying and trying.......all she seems to do is pass gas...but no poop. Even at night she is so fussy caz she is trying :( Is there anything I can do to help her? She is quite uncomfy as she actually cries and gets all red when she tries.....if nothing happens by tomo night I'm thinking of taking her to ped...in the mean time, anyone has any suggestions for me??

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#69 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 08:18 PM

Carrie: New ped. FFS. That's awful. How is your iron??

Karalynn: Have you talked to a good lactation person? I got the bad things on my nipples, but when my midwife showed me how to get a better latch, they're healing right up. Feels so much better! I love not having to wince and breathe through latching!

Jbouck: Thank you! And I'm so sorry you had to go through something similar. It's awful. I just cried and cried. He went from 9lb 14oz at birth to 8lb 5oz yesterday and now he's 8lb 15 oz :D

Noorjahan: Wow! You fought so hard for your baby! It's hell and I'm so glad that things are finally working better!

Everyone: Thank you! I feel like I finally have time to be here and I missed everyone! And so many people had babies! And they're beautiful! Jessica, thank you :) It was really hard and we even bought effing formula (which he ate once) so thank you. I'd do anything for him. As we all know! Babies are so awesome!

Charlie's awesome today still. He ate half an oz his first feeding at home, but I figured that was reasonable, given the more than 2 he'd just had. Then a bit before he was due for his next, he woke up demanding more and drank 2oz. And then an hour later, demanded another 2oz. Mom thought he couldn't possibly be hungry again, but insisted that he probably was (I was pumping) so she tried and was all impressed. He's currently happily passed out on my chest. Which is weird because we were always skin to skin until this and now I have to have a barrier to keep him off the tit. Sigh. After tomorrow :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#70 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 08:34 PM

I have been reading along all week, but have not had time to post!

Peony - hope tomorrow is a better day. I am so sick of my kids bickering and there are only two of them! DD1 is in school already and it is nice for everyone to have some space, even if it is only a few hours (she is in kindergarten)

In regards to the peds looking for any reason to send you in because you had a home birth, I am feeling a little of that. We had to take Kendra for her renal scan yesterday, I had wanted to wait a few more days, but the ped scheduled it without consulting us. When I found out I was very upset, but i was feeling better the morning we were supposed to go so we got it over with. Turned out to be nothing serious, we could have waited until two weeks like we had originally planned when we first learned there might be an issue. I am just glad we did not let them bully us into not doing the home birth I am so sorry for everything you have had to go through Carrie!! I would switch peds!

I am right there with you ladies dealing with engorgement too, mine has subsided for the most part, just soar when it is close to feeding time. But it stinks, this my third. It has gotten a little better each time, but it still sucks, I wish i could have avoided it after the first. I seriously am considering never having another baby just to not go through that again! I will give birth over engorgement and nipple pain!

AFM - we are doing well, Kendra is only 5 days old and DH has been home the whole time to help with the older girls so I have just been focused on the baby. Feels like we are in a decent groove right now. DH is going to be home another week and then MIL is going to come stay the following week, so I hope by the time I am on my own we all have a little routine.

We have been sleeping ok, I did not sleep the first three nights though, Kendra was up the whole first night. She slept like a champ the next night, but I just could not sleep, total insomnia. She slept great the night and that was when my milk really came in and I was up all night in pain and she would not wake to eat! We both did really well the next night and last night we were up a little more, but it was not terrible. It seems odd the lack of visitors we have had this time, it has been nice, although I do enjoy showing off the baby! It has really helped us get in our groove though to not have people popping in and out all the time. We did have one visitor today, which turned out to be very irritating! My SIL has been saying all week they were coming today, we thought they were on their way around noon. DD1 was super excited and was looking out the window every 5 minutes for 3 hours!! Turns out they stopped at the humane society to adopt a puppy, which they then brought here!! Straight from the humane society where they held who knows how many dogs and the kids were crawling all over the floor and then they brought their new puppy here! I love pound puppies, I have only ever had pound puppies, but they are nasty when you bring them home! They always have worms, they could have kennel cough. We have a dog that I don't want to have to take to the vet, plus I just don't need all that around my 5 day old baby! I felt a little hormonal which did not help, and they were good about all washing hands and making sure the kids washed hands, but i kept Kendra bundled up so only her face was barely showing and then changed her right when they left. They were also good about keeping the puppy on a leash in the front yard and we kept our dog in the back yard. It just peeved me, having the extra kids tearing the house apart with a newborn is enough, don't bring your puppy too! Yay! That was my hormonal freak out of the day! I did get to sit outside and chat with the neighbors for a while which was really really nice, Aside from the doctor yesterday I have been in my room for 5 days! I needed to get out!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#71 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 08:56 PM

Just a quick pop-in...

Feeling really frustrated on the sleep front.  Dreading tonight.  Ellie is 4 days now.  She's really sleepy all day, basically from about 4am-11PM she's just slept.  Then up all night.  She wakes to nurse during that day period (every 1-1.5hrs), but that's been it.  She is VERY good at vigorously nursing while sleeping!!  At night she isn't fussy, she's just... up.  Grunting, moving, wanting boob, wanting to be walked around.  I had really hoped to "get a good baby" this time around, but I guess it isn't in the cards.  It's just hard, because DH sleeps so soundly at night that he's not really much help.  He's great during the day, but I have some pretty intense anxiety about how I'll manage the exhaustion once he goes back to work and I can't nap during the day.  I basically haven't slept during the night since Monday.  I'm trying to remind myself that "this is a phase" and she's just wanting extra nursing at night so my milk will be great...  But DS was never a good sleeper at night, and I ended up deeply depressed because I only ever got 2-3 hours a night in his first year.  Not looking forward to the same this time.  Oh well.

Engorgement was the worst last night, it seems much better today.  Not worried about supply at all.  She's a little champion feeder.  Girl can nurse for hours.  Her latch is a little painful, I think more due to her tiny mouth vs. my giant hershey kiss nipples.  She'll grow into them in time, but soreness is very manageable.

Read through everyone, wish I had the time and energy to respond at all.  I miss you ladies!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#72 of 349 Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 PM

ahhhh hello engorgement. I thought I had a few days! Less than 2 days postpartum and he's already got a milky 'stache. Anyone else get milk WAY early this time?

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#73 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 AM

I have a breastfeeding question.

Things have been going awesome, he is a champ at eating, has tons of dirty diapers, and gaining lots of weight. During the day he usually eats every 1-3 hours. But at night he goes longer between feedings. Last night I fed him around 12 and then he slept till 430. I had to wake him up to eat because I was so full. He layed back down and slept till 8 and once again I had to wake him up to eat because I was full. My lactation consultant said this was fine as long as I am feeding a lot during the day and to just let him sleep. But I have read everywhere online I should be feeding him about every 2 hours. I am just afraid this is going to affect my supply. I know I have a ton of milk because excess dribbles out of his mouth a lot and like I said he is having lots of dirty diapers. Would you wake him up at night or just enjoy the sleep? My supply is more important than getting sleep but I just don't know what to do as I have never breastfed before.

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#74 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

I have a breastfeeding question.

Things have been going awesome, he is a champ at eating, has tons of dirty diapers, and gaining lots of weight. During the day he usually eats every 1-3 hours. But at night he goes longer between feedings. Last night I fed him around 12 and then he slept till 430. I had to wake him up to eat because I was so full. He layed back down and slept till 8 and once again I had to wake him up to eat because I was full. My lactation consultant said this was fine as long as I am feeding a lot during the day and to just let him sleep. But I have read everywhere online I should be feeding him about every 2 hours. I am just afraid this is going to affect my supply. I know I have a ton of milk because excess dribbles out of his mouth a lot and like I said he is having lots of dirty diapers. Would you wake him up at night or just enjoy the sleep? My supply is more important than getting sleep but I just don't know what to do as I have never breastfed before.

I would enjoy the sleep.  He's eating plenty during the day and having good dipes.  No need to wake him to nurse thru the night.  If you are uncomfortable and it's keeping you awake, pump to relief and then catch your zzz's mama!  You got one of those golden mythical babies!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#75 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 01:45 PM

Mamas working on supply and weight gain issues, I hope your babies keep gaining! I don't really have any advice, since my babies have been big gainers--I can only imagine how challenging it is and let you know my thought are with you smile.gif

Carrie--I wouldn't even go back to that ped. There are plenty of doctors out there, so find one who is supportive. If you don't like the one your MW recommends you could also look at family practice docs. I see a family practice doc and she is great and supportive of my decisions.

Ohh, enjoy the sleeping babies. My DS is an ok sleeper for part of the night. He generally has been sleeping pretty well for the 1st part of the night, but nurses frequntly, and then he wakes up for about 45 minutes around 3-4am, which is not ideal, but once he goes to sleep he sleeps for about 3-4 hours. The challeging part is that DD has been waking up about 6:45am and is ready to go!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#76 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 05:53 PM

kara: that was THE hardest thing to get over as a FTM. Once I relaxed and went with babe's schedule we both did much better. I say trust your INSTINCTS and throw the info out the window! As long as there are wet dipes and you're not too full...then don't fight it.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#77 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 09:10 PM

Hello everyone. I feel sad that I haven't had time to check in with all you ladies... you have all been such a such a support system for me during this pregnancy, but I just can't figure out how to do the whole nak-thing yet. For now I have a rare sleeping-baby moment. 

River is 1 week old today, and I was thinking back to my hospital transfer. I'll post my birth story someday soon (I hope!) but it ended up being a great thing we transferred, we were cared for so well and I have absolutely no regrets. Then I came home and bfing was great, latch perfect and my milk came in on day 3. Then at the ped visit, she freaked out at how jaundiced River was, sent us for a bili test, and submitted the orders to admit him to the hospital for bili light therapy even before we came back to her office for the results. DH and I let ourselves get bullied into taking him to the hospital immediately (the horrible one in town, not the great one we transferred to..that one is 1.5 hours away) without really thinking for ourselves what was best for him. Now that I'm home and have done my own research I realize his levels weren't that high or dangerous. So we spent the next 36 hours at the hospital under the bili lights. Since I pretty much force fed him every chance I could to help get rid of the bili, now I'm totally engorged and have a very overactive supply, so his latch has gotten bad. Lots of pain and now I feel like we are starting from scratch from what seemed like a great bfing relationship at first. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I should be happy since he is almost back up to his 10lb birth weight and is totally healthy, but I still feel awful about being bullied by the ped. DH and I talked A LOT about it and realize it was our first lesson on needing to advocate for our son, regardless of what med professionals say. 

I'm also feeling a bit blue lately. Since we ended up transferring to the hospital and then taking River in, I just barely finished making my placenta capsules (today is 7 days pp), so hopefully they can help out a little. 

Hopefully someday soon I'll figure out this whole nak-thing and can reply to you all more often... but just know that even though I haven't had the coordination to write to you all, when I read your posts I really do send out love and support to you all!  

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#78 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 09:56 PM

Quick question:
the night before he was born I weighed myself. This morning I am only about 9-10lbs lighter, and he weighed 8lbs 5oz at birth! What happened?! lol, not worried...yet. But I'm wondering where this excess weight is coming from/not going? I'm 2.5 days pp, so I'm sure it's normal, I just didn't think that would happen! My milk is in too, but I'm not engorged in the slightest.
Anyone else have this happen?

#79 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 PM

From my phone, can't respond as I'd like... But Jill, yes, I've only lost 11 pounds. DD was 8lbs14ozs, so who knows? I sweated something CRAZY the first night too, peed a ton, so I was pretty disappointed. When I look at myself in the mirror I feel like I look better, but...

We did DD's newborn photos yesterday. Can't wait to see them and share them.

And I can't believe I'm typing "DD" either. It feels so surreal still. What is also surreal is the difference a week can make to the postpartum belly button. Thank goodness!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#80 of 349 Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 PM

Cat - I'm going through a lot of the same with my ped, as I posted earlier.  I can't shake this feeling like I *should* go get his level checked.  I keep 2nd guessing myself, too.  hugs, its SO hardmaking these decisions.  im sorry it has interfered w/ur nursing relationship. thats so not fair. 

Jill - um, YES.  WTF?  9 lb baby, 5 days later down 11 lbs.  Again, WTF??

I've said "my son" twice now and it feels so foreign on my tongue.  Wonderful, but foreign!!

#81 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 03:01 AM

Finn is about 5 days old now.  Anyone else have a baby who will nurse for a bit and then conk out -- tight lips and all - and not need the 2nd breast at every feeding?  I have been pumping the other side when this happens for comfort occasionally.  But now of course I'm antsy that he's not nursing enough.  Thoughts?  Diapers are good, but I'm not sure about his weight.  I don't have a good way to weigh him.

#82 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Finn is about 5 days old now.  Anyone else have a baby who will nurse for a bit and then conk out -- tight lips and all - and not need the 2nd breast at every feeding?  I have been pumping the other side when this happens for comfort occasionally.  But now of course I'm antsy that he's not nursing enough.  Thoughts?  Diapers are good, but I'm not sure about his weight.  I don't have a good way to weigh him.

Cate generally feeds on just one side each feeding, my Finn did the same. DS gained quite slowly, but nursed constantly. DD eats once every few hours, for less than 10 min, and has gained like crazy. If the diapers are good, and he seems to be gaining (are his tiny clothes getting out grown, are the diapers needing to be done up a little less tightly ... those are clues if you can't weigh him yourself accurately), then I'd just let him stick to what's working for him!

~SynEpona~
#83 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:

nak

olivia does this.  she is a cluster feeder, which my boys never were.  and there is no coaxing her to nurse just a little more to help momma out.  i don't have a pump, so i try to coax her sometimes.  lol  she definitely has the tight lip thing happening.  i feel very lopsided all of the time these days.  i just assume she is getting plenty since she has a lot of wet and poopy diapers.  as long as diapers are good i wouldn't worry about his weight.

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#84 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 AM

Carrie -- DS never ate off of both sides until he was past 6 months old. I think he went less time between feedings than most babies, but I never had issues with supply or weight gain.

Trust your body, and your boy.

#85 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 08:23 AM

Carrie-- I'm sure it's normal and Finn is just fine, but I want to throw out another perspective. He's a little jaundiced, right? Nickolas (ds1) was fairly jaundiced starting 2-3 days after he was born and it made him super sleepy. He would fall asleep at the breast and would not continue nursing at all unless I fully woke him up and started the nursing session over. His ped did not try to bully us into doing the bill light treatment, but he did insist that I nurse Nickolas every 1.5 hrs round the clock and to wake him up to do so, if needed. It was a pain, but his jaundice cleared up very quickly without any medical treatment.

Could he be rejecting the second breast as a result of jaundice sleepiness?? Just a thought!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#86 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM

lol, YOU think it's sounds foreign to say son Carrie? omg, I've called him 'baby girl" and "cupcake" a bunch of times! Poor little dude.
Oh, and I have never even offered the second breast, with any of mine. We just do the one at a time from the beginning thing. Always works for us!

Ok, we're taking Reed to the ped today. He has gone from peeing/pooping fine to not peeing more than a teaspoon a dipe every like 8 hours. And no poop. But my milk is in completely, and I know he's getting plenty because he's emptying me and I can hear him gulping and swallowing. What the heck? Hoping it's nothing big, but we unfortunately have to see the bad ped. today (the admit/test first, look at the baby later type)eyesroll.gif

#87 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Erica- thank you for that thought! We've already done the Feed Him to Death bit, but we'll start taking Charlie out in the sun.

I actually don't mind the nursing on one side thing we're apparently going to be doing (now that I am cleared to just nurse! (pending a weigh-in today to be sure) because then he clears out that one boob more and it feels SO good! But I do miss him being awake :P

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#88 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

Carrie-- I'm sure it's normal and Finn is just fine, but I want to throw out another perspective. He's a little jaundiced, right? Nickolas (ds1) was fairly jaundiced starting 2-3 days after he was born and it made him super sleepy. He would fall asleep at the breast and would not continue nursing at all unless I fully woke him up and started the nursing session over. His ped did not try to bully us into doing the bill light treatment, but he did insist that I nurse Nickolas every 1.5 hrs round the clock and to wake him up to do so, if needed. It was a pain, but his jaundice cleared up very quickly without any medical treatment.

Could he be rejecting the second breast as a result of jaundice sleepiness?? Just a thought!

Definitely something I was thinking about!  Right now he's nursing about every 2 hours ( though last night he gave me 2 4.5 hour stretches) and just this morning had both bewbs twice AND some alert time.  I'm just going to keep an eye and try hard not to worry and just trust that we are doing well.  These first few days/weeks are so touch and go!  It's crazy how you forget how stressful it can be if you let it.  It's nice and sunny today so I'm going to get Finn back out in the sun (it rained yesterday, boo) and hopefully that helps.  I've decided not to take him for the bili test until at least day 8 or 9 if I feel like it's getting worse and not better.  It peaks at days 4-5 right?  Or so?  It seems to me it would be silly to have his level tested now when it would be at its peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

lol, YOU think it's sounds foreign to say son Carrie? omg, I've called him 'baby girl" and "cupcake" a bunch of times! Poor little dude.

biglaugh.gif  Oh Jill I can only imagine!!  That's too funny!  

Good luck with the ped!  We are all having such blah luck around here with baby doctors, hopefully your appt is quick and simple and to the point.  KUP!

#89 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 12:14 PM

I have a "one boob at a time" feeder. DS was like this, too. She went to the ped today - 10 days old and went from 6lbs 8 ounces at birth to 7 lbs 7 ounces. So try not to worry. Some babies are very efficient at draining a single boob each feeding and don't need more.

And my husband keeps calling her "little guy."

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#90 of 349 Old 08-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Took Anton to the ped today and he is now 7lbs 11oz!  Up from 6lbs 10oz at birth almost 2 weeks ago.  So that's good.  What's not so good is that he's had bad gas issues a couple of times, and the ped thinks this is due to my eating too many legumes and spicy foods.  I am a vegan...legumes are my main source of protein!  Gah.  So I'm going to try to get creative and get more protein from grains, I guess.  The ped started trying to ask me why exactly I won't eat meat.  I didn't really want to get into it with him.  But I haven't eaten meat for about 15 years and really don't want to. 

Also, I feel guilty about this, but I'm finding breastfeeding to be a pain in the butt (or boob, I guess).  I'm hoping it gets better soon.  People tell me it will.  It's just...I hate feeling like I can't move or do anything for so many hours of the day.  Also I have some soreness when he first latches on.  So I kind of dread the feedings.  Then my mom keeps telling me he absorbs my negative emotions or whatever, and I feel guilty about that!

And the ped told me to feed him in an upright position due to the gas issue, which sucks because I like the side-lying position at night.  Sometimes I can even fall asleep while he's nursing that way. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page