mamas with babies - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send good vibes that the LC calls me back first thing tomorrow morning! I took a closer look at Reed's mouth. He has a VERY clear tie on the upper lip (the frenum goes clear down to almost his palate) and possibly a posterior tongue tie as well. I feel SO relieved that it wasn't me just being lazy and that there is something actually wrong. Now I have to find someone to diagnosis it and someone to fix it....in a very very rural setting and in a hurry! Send me good vibes mamas, I'm in SO much pain! THANKFULLY despite our issues Reed has gained some weight and is only 2.5oz below birth weight at 6 days old!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 10:28 AM

Carrie, i got DH to set up the swing last night! Life saver, especially since he had to go into the office a few hours today! Thanks for the idea!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 08-26-2011, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've got a quick lochia question. 

TMI, sorry.  I'm not sure my lochia is normal, but maybe it's different b/c I was sectioned?  I'm 2w1d post partum, and my lochia is really thick, and kind of an orange color?  There are bits of what looks like tissue, and sometimes those solid pieces are kind of a brownish/greenish color.  It's really gross.  It also feels like it's a larger volume than it should be by now.  With my last pg, I was down to a pantyliner by now.  There is no odor, and I don't have a fever, but it is occasionally kind of itchy down there.  Am I being paranoid?  Should I just wait it out since I have no fever and there's no odor?  It's really annoying at the very least.  :( 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I've got a quick lochia question. 

TMI, sorry.  I'm not sure my lochia is normal, but maybe it's different b/c I was sectioned?  I'm 2w1d post partum, and my lochia is really thick, and kind of an orange color?  There are bits of what looks like tissue, and sometimes those solid pieces are kind of a brownish/greenish color.  It's really gross.  It also feels like it's a larger volume than it should be by now.  With my last pg, I was down to a pantyliner by now.  There is no odor, and I don't have a fever, but it is occasionally kind of itchy down there.  Am I being paranoid?  Should I just wait it out since I have no fever and there's no odor?  It's really annoying at the very least.  :( 

Id keep an eye but it sounds like the 3rd stage of lochia to me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lochia

"Lochia alba (or purulenta) is the name for lochia once it has turned whitish or yellowish-white. It typically lasts from the second through the third to sixth week after delivery. It contains fewer red blood cells and is mainly made up of leukocytesepithelial cellscholesterolfat, and mucus."

Mine is at the pinkish, sometimes red, usually clearish white inbetween stage.  Ugh.  I'm ready to be done bleeding but I get that it has to all come out!  LOL!  I'd say since there is no odor or fever, you're safe from infection at this point.

Sarah - No problem!! Glad it worked!thumb.gif

re:orgams - I'm still too scared, I keep thinking I'll break my uterus or start cramping.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Carrie, yeah, I'm thinking I'd have a fever or something if it were an infection.  Oh, and re: orgasms, I've had 2 shy.gif, and everything seemed fine.

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM

Carrie, I would think an orgasm would be a good thing... Sort of like afterpains are good, because contracting helps to shrink the uterus?

I've still got some irritation from the catheter I'm guessing. I'd really like to have an orgasm (dreams are getting WEIRD), but I don't want to irritate my urethra at all. It feels like I might be fighting off a UTI, and I'm doing everything I can to be good. Sigh.

And Jill, good luck with poor little Reed! That sucks!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 08-26-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I've still got some irritation from the catheter I'm guessing. I'd really like to have an orgasm (dreams are getting WEIRD), but I don't want to irritate my urethra at all. It feels like I might be fighting off a UTI, and I'm doing everything I can to be good. Sigh.

This exact thing happened to me. It suuuuucked! There was some kind of irritation from the catheter, and it felt a lot like a UTI, plus I was bleeding from the urethra. MWs sent a urine sample to the lab for me and it came back negative, so I guess it is just a crappy after affect of the catheter :( The only thing that gave me any relief was to soak in a bath with epsom salt, which made it feel slightly less irritated for a while. My symptoms only lasted about a week, hopefully yours go away soon!

AFM: Man I wish I had my libido back, but no I still just feel like being celibate :( Hopefully in 2 weeks when I am cleared for being able to have sex, I will feel differently! On a more positive note, DD slept for a full 4 hour stretch last night! That is the biggest chunk of sleep I have gotten since I went in to labor four weeks ago. I think that is why today was the day was motivated enough to start working out again!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Carrie, I would think an orgasm would be a good thing... Sort of like afterpains are good, because contracting helps to shrink the uterus?

Hmm, good point! winky.gif

And ouch! I hope your poor body heals up quickly.  Are you using the peri bottle when you pee?  I'm still using it.  Helps so much with the burning.  Also drinking TONS of water dilutes your urine so it won't sting so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post
On a more positive note, DD slept for a full 4 hour stretch last night! That is the biggest chunk of sleep I have gotten since I went in to labor four weeks ago. I think that is why today was the day was motivated enough to start working out again!

Yay for sleep!!!  joy.gif

AFUs - I feel like Finn is having more alert time and falling into a nap pattern instead of just being asleep all the time.  I like it!  It's fun to see him awake and alert, even if he's fussing a bit.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-27-2011, 05:29 PM

These 3-4 hour naps during the day are fantastic for Mommy/Nora time and chores but OMG my bewbs are KILLING ME.  I've already pumped today, I don't want to get into the habit of doing it all the time.  Anyone else with this "problem"?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:54 PM

ME!! Although my problem is night time. I think she might actually be able to sleep for a 4-5 hour stretch at night, but my boobs can't go that long. My darn boobs are what's waking me!

The last 2 nights I've ended up pumping. She can barely drain one side, and it seems like I make more milk at night. But I can't sleep through the pain of just leaving it be.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 PM

I had that for a few days, but now I'm good - hopefully you two get better too! You're just, what, a day or two behind me. And then life is golden ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 08-27-2011, 10:03 PM

I know that technically we can put the baby down. I've heard this. I think, though, that most days the only time he's sat down at all are when we do diaper changes - and some of those are even done on my lap. I wake up when I decide I'm tired of having to sit up and fuss to nurse so we move to the recliner - I can kind of doze while he eats, or just after instead of having to position us all the time. (Sitting up is still a bit painful)

And then we kind of just stay there. He eats and then falls asleep and I read. He wakes up and eats when he's ready. Usually he just goes back to sleep, but we talk when he's awake. Dusty takes him when I need a break and they sit in HIS recliner and cuddle while Dusty works. We go out for errands and such, and a walk tonight which will be repeated daily.

I'm not yet sure why I'd want to put him down. I have a few times, especially when I'm alone and he does fine with it. He's just so cuddly, though! HM!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 AM

all of you ladies with abundant milk can send it my way..... winky.gif   i'm on a regime of staying up later then my babe and the other kiddos so i can do some power pumping. and not because the engorgement is killing me....i'm just still climbing the mountain of making enough milk. i figure i can devote until 6 weeks to power pumping and trying to bring as much milk forth from my body as possible, and after the 6 week mark we will embrace every ounce that there is, and supplement whatever is lacking. we're halfway there. it's kind of crazy to think that pumping so many times a day could feel so second nature. so, yes, pumping into the wee hours is keeping me up, as well as insomnia. the insomnia part is truly unfair. i have a newborn! i'm not allowed to have insomnia! oh the irony.

becky, i am with you on never setting the babe down. this baby seems as though he'll actually go for it, too- very different from my other kiddos. at this point i am really only setting him down as a means to pump. fortyunately for me, the kids have delighted in 'snack dinners' as well as 'make your own dinner' nights. it is a godsend that my 7 year old is really excited to cook. even though she's basically just equipped to "cook" eggs and toast. lol.gif she does make a mean fried egg! with sea salt and cayenne.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

Old 08-28-2011, 04:57 AM

I'm still having problems with my left breast that I had mastitis in....the nipple is just super sore and it doesn't hep that sometimes he doesn't take enough in and then its super painful...But I've been taking him back off and redoing his latch....that helps a bit.  I got over the mastitis but I can't figure out why the nipple is so sore. 

On the note of putting the baby down....ds is very mellow too and would go down but why waste these moments -- I'd rather have him as close to me as possible....he's growing up sooo fast and I don't want to waste these precious moments.

I'm going to try walking everyday on the treadmill for a half hour.  I guess that would make me feel better...I have over 60 pounds to lose and it doesn't seem like the weight is coming off by itself.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 08-28-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'd like to put baby down, but he doesn't want me to! DH is never around to hold him, baby will only tolerate sitting in our chair swing on the porch with DD1 sometimes but she is rarely around now as well since school has started and after school activities are gearing up. I have a regular swing but he almost always wakes up right away. DS1 would love to snuggle with his mamma sometimes without a baby on the other arm. I'm wanting a treadmill now. I have an elliptical but that is a little hard to do with a baby on me, walking would be better. It is only cool enough to walk outside in the mornings and nights, mornings I am trying to get kids out the door and at night, baby is screaming. 

I've been enjoying a weekend alone with just two kids, it feel like a vacation! DH went to Telluride for the snowboard sale and took the oldest and the toddler, they are staying with my parents at their house near there. I have the baby and 4y. We went to the farmer's market yesterday, the regular grocery store and then out to lunch before baby decided that was more then enough and then got really fussy. We had a TV marathon last night watching her favorite show and we are just hanging out today. And for 4 nights now, the 4y has gone to sleep without someone being in there with her! I've always had to lay down with her but since baby screams during that time, I've been having to pay DD1 to do. So glad that DD2 is old enough to go to sleep alone, of course it is in my bed, but I'm not caring about that right now!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:36 AM

Hey mamas! Just checking in super quick while they are all occupied faint.gifI am in survival mode, my mom went home and DH left town over a week ago and it has been interesting to say the least! I don't think I have ever been this tired in my life. The baby does a 3 hour stretch at the beginning of the night that leaves me feeling pretty good, but then he is up every 30 minutes to an hour the rest of the night and I often don't ever really fall back asleep.

None of my kids have ever even spit up, like ever...then this kiddo comes along and he full out throws up 3-4 times a day. He starts crying, then lurches and heaves, then projectile vomits the entire feeding. Then he eats again and is fine. I don't know if I should be worried or not. He has 12+ wet dipes a day and 4-5 poopy ones. He is 4 weeks old and has gained over 3 lbs since birth so he is gaining really well. I just worry that something is wrong. He is a pretty fussy little guy when he is awake.

Totally ready for all the bodily functions to go back to normal! Still bleeding a decent amount and my inner thighs are cut from wearing a pad 24 hrs a day for 4 weeks and my lady bits are really tender and sore. The night sweats are welcome to chill the heck out too! Sick of waking up soaked and freezing!

Anyway...just wanted to say hi and that I miss talking atcha! DH got me a fancy new phone for our anniversary so I have been reading the threads sometimes during the night. I hope everyone is doing wonderful and having a great time snuggling their babies!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:48 AM

Mamas with your firsts -- hold those babies all you want!!  I did that with Nora.  It was wonderful.  I loved always holding her for naps and doing nothing but nursing, letting her sleep on me, repeat.  LOL!  It's not as feasable with subsequent children, I'm finding.  I do hold Finn until he's asleep, or almost asleep, and then into the swing he goes so I can do stuff with DD or get something to eat, or clean.  

Jennah- I'm sorry about the mastitis and soreness.  Hmm.  I would definitely work on that latch first and foremost.  Maybe he isn't draining the breast enough?

Elevena - hug.gif  every ounce your body can make is amazing!  I like the idea of pumping for 6 weeks and then seeing what's what.  And that you have insomnia is not fair at all!  Hugs to you!!

I have an interesting "problem"...with letdown my breasts get extremely itchy! Not the nip, the actual boob.  Feels like a mix of a bad rash and sunburn.  I remember this from DD but not to this extent at all.  There's no pain, there's no lumps, just ITCHY and bright red!  It's the hormones, I know, but still.  Freaking annoying.

Last night Finn was up to nurse every 2 hours.  Sigh.  It was a big rough but of course worth it.  He was up at 7 and after eating I put him in the swing to settle for his am nap and he barely slept.  I had to get up every 30 min or so from 7-9 to settle him/nurse him.  Once it got to 9 I gave up and made coffee, lol.  

And DD wet her bed last night.  I don't know what's up with that b/c she never wets the bed.  I think the storm woke her up a few too many times, and instead of sleeping straight thru, the waking up made her have an accident.  I hope it doesn't become an issue.  Girl has been PLed for over a year, no need to backtrack now.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:20 AM

I feel like I haven't been on here in forever! Things have been busy but I must say Jude really is such a calm baby.

He was 2 weeks on Friday, which I can NOT believe. Time is already flying by incredibly too fast! I had him weighed and he is up to 9lbs 9oz. He weight 8lbs 11oz when he was born but dropped down to 8 4. So he has been packing on the weight and you can totally tell in his chubby little cheeks! love.gif

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does nothing but deal with breastfeeding issues. I seriously dream of breastfeeding almost every night! Its kind of unfair that I don't even get a break when I'm sleeping... We have done pretty awesome though and I feel more confident by the day. I also get pretty full at night cause he sleeps 3-4 hour stretches. Its nice but I was really hoping my boobs would catch on and take a little break at night themselves.. So I am still having to pump when he finally does wake up just so its more comfortable for me. He can't get a very good latch when I am that full.

I am also concerned about some little lumps that are always on my right breast when its full. They go down after a feeding but they always come back. I saw my lactation consultant and she said as long as they are going down it should be fine. I am just terrified that they are clogged ducts that are just waiting to turn into mastitis. Do any of you ladies have these?

I am also still having night sweats but they do seem to not be as bad and I feel like my emotions are leveling out. For some reason I am the most emotional and feel the most overwhelmed in the evenings. I don't know why. I am fine all day and then sometimes at night I just feel anxious. Like I said it is getting better though.

I hope everything is going awesome with everyone else. I also usually read posts from my phone but I don't log onto my computer a lot. When he is napping I am usually trying to clean or nap myself.

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to Jude 08/11, 03/13, 09/13
04/2014 08/2014
Old 08-28-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
For some reason I am the most emotional and feel the most overwhelmed in the evenings. I don't know why. I am fine all day and then sometimes at night I just feel anxious. Like I said it is getting better though.

This was how I felt too, for the first 2 and half weeks. Once 6pm rolled around I would pretty much just sit on the couch and cry or be overcome with worry. It was awefull, I started dreading nighttime so much. For me it got better around 3 weeks, I hope you keep feeling better and better mama!

Old 08-28-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

This was how I felt too, for the first 2 and half weeks. Once 6pm rolled around I would pretty much just sit on the couch and cry or be overcome with worry. It was awefull, I started dreading nighttime so much. For me it got better around 3 weeks, I hope you keep feeling better and better mama!

I am glad I am not alone in this. It does seem to be getting better for me by the day. I am just over 2 weeks out so hopefully by the end of this week I will be having these feelings even less! I am glad that you are feeling better though! It is awful to feel that way and it does make me dread nighttime as well.

04/2014 08/2014
Old 08-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Another one who is still having problem with weird breast pain as soon as those get full. And starts to leak right away...since dealing with thrush I don't like it at all.

I have the opposite issue with putting baby down. I had so much hard time right after birth in terms of recovery..I was plain baffled. I had no idea this was going to be that hard. Breastfeeding being an issue #1 took a lot of time and energy from me...honestly, first two weeks I felt like I didn't even look at my baby very well. I held her...changed diaper...fed...pumped..did all that but didn't have that connection with her. It was like I didn't have time for that. I was so so tired I wanted to put her down on bed all the time and would tell my sister why couldn't she just sleep all day like other babies! She thought I was bad. Eliana, on the other hand, just wants to be held! All.the.time. So me wanting her to be on bed...and she wanting to be held all the time...it was pretty stressful for me. And then one of my ex-supervisors sent me an email saying I needed to have some patience...and this time will not last..and pretty soon she won't want to be held like that. It was like a light bulb was on. I realized that is true. And since 98% of chance she will be my only baby..now even her screaming fit seems different to me..not as annoying like before! Just keep telling myself I will deal with this only once in my life... :-)

Today, Eliana is a month old! love.gif  And she had her first bath...meaning in bathtub in water...LOL She is not a happy person when her diaper is changed...or clothes are changed..or when she gets a sponge bath...so, I was dreading this. My sis gave her the bath..and in the morning I just kept stalling..I was so afraid! Last thing I wanted was for her to cry bloody murder. But luckily, she was fed right before and was a bit doozy....so, she didn't cry!! And she totally surprised me by actually keeping quite when water was being poured on her. I think, she enjoyed it a little! It was a bit nerve wrecking for me.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM

I love reading these updates!!! They make my heart so happy. smile.gif

Reed is now 9 days old and I'm STILL bleeding bright red. I passed a clot on Friday night too. I just can't seem to keep down despite trying. We had three appts last week, which for us means driving an hour roundtrip to town with all four kids. And yesterday my besties threw me a gorgeous baby shower and we had a wedding (THANKFULLY it was a few blocks away) last night. Today I've sat on my arse. But I'm so ready for the bleeding to stop!

And that appt friday? It was supposed to be with an LC, because the LC at my hospital was gone and the peds were all out, so they sent me to the nearer hospital. Got there and saw a freaking L&D nurse! She admitted after I pointed out R's problems that I know more than she does. UGH! Calling again tomorrow to try and get in. He has a really tight upper lip tie (which I go back and forth on if it's affecting nursing) and possibly a posterior tie on the bottom. His latch is awesome, but there is still pain. He has a hard time getting his tongue out still. I'm also treating myself for thrush, which I think that I have (not him so far) and things are at least a bit less painful. Baby steps...I always try to remind myself that by the one month mark things are usually great for me (All of my kids have had some sort of nursing trouble)

Reed is a super laid back baby like some of yours...it's refreshing after my very colicky preemie last time! those of you with more than one, and an easy baby: Do you find yourself just laying them down for a second to deal with older kids because they are so easy? Dh more, and me some, will put him on the boppy more frequently than we did our fussier babes because he is SO easy! It makes me feel bad, and I try to correct it, but dh just does it all day! Usually we're very attached and pack the kids around everywhere, but he just chills. I wish I could wear him around more, but I'm not allowed to this time. greensad.gif

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 08-28-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

Reed is a super laid back baby like some of yours...it's refreshing after my very colicky preemie last time! those of you with more than one, and an easy baby: Do you find yourself just laying them down for a second to deal with older kids because they are so easy? Dh more, and me some, will put him on the boppy more frequently than we did our fussier babes because he is SO easy! It makes me feel bad, and I try to correct it, but dh just does it all day! Usually we're very attached and pack the kids around everywhere, but he just chills. I wish I could wear him around more, but I'm not allowed to this time. greensad.gif

All the time!  I feel terrible sometimes, but it's not like Finn is fussing.  He seems happy to be the "little brother".  I think he knows from just being in my belly that sometimes he's going to have to wait and watch while I take care of his demanding older sister.  

Old 08-28-2011, 08:50 PM

Jilly, I put Will down a lot, esp if he's sleeping and happy out of my arms.  My 3 year old would.not.be.put.down as a baby, and would not sleep unless he was latched on until he was almost 2!  I laid down with him and nursed him for the entire night, and every single nap for almost 2 years.  It was brutal.  So for this baby?  I'm totally happy to let him sleep alone if he's happy, too.  I don't let him fuss alone, but I like having a baby who can sleep peacefully on his own!

Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Anne- I've got a puker as well. All of mine have been though so nothing new to me! We went through 6 onesies today and 2 shirts for me, an good day actually, yesterday it was 6 outfits by 11am. And I only change when we are covered in spit up. If it isn't bothering him and is gaining weight well then it probably isn't an issue. I only had to do Zantac for one kid, the rest have just been happy pukers. 

Jill- This guy isn't content to let me put him down, but with #3 was a mellow baby and I put him down all the time. I felt guilty at times, but he certainly got lots of snuggles and it was also just life, the other kids needed me. DS2 doesn't like me putting him down but sometimes I have to and since he isn't thrilled about it, he cries during that time. I try to hold him as much as possible but he literally cries anytime I am not holding him and many a time when I am.The 2y doesn't understand why mama can't snuggle very often anymore. 

DS2 was content to be held tonight looking around during part of the evening when he is normally crying but then right when dinner was done he started crying. It was a nice change of pace for a bit through!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybeans View Post

Yeah I try to put the baby down for a morning nap so I can help the other kids with their morning routine and for hugs and kisses and just time with momma.  My fourteen year old is a big help as I have said before but sometimes ds (5 yrs old) and dd (almost 4) want momma to do things for them and not older sis. 

Sometimes the baby will stay down for a couple of hours and sometimes just an hour but it seems to be enough time to get the kids situated.  Once the kids start school in September, I think things will even get easier since they will be busy with something else too.

So far ds will only puke if I have overfed him.  Like other mommas, it seems I have got an oversupply and if he doesn't fall asleep and he's already full of milk...he just wants to suck but he gets more milk and then I will get a second let-down and he will pull off.  By this point, he is over full with milk and will puke the excess milk.  So I'm trying to sense when he has had enough to drink and try to rock him to sleep eventhough he wants to suck.  Some would say give him a pacifier at this point...but I don't like pacifiers....I want to pacify him smile.gif

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Old 08-29-2011, 09:57 AM

Craziest thing.  So the other night I'm nursing Finn sidelying and he's making this congested sound, like he's got a stuffy nose.  I put the light on, and realized as he's nursing bm is LEAKING FULL FORCE OUT HIS NOSE, the side that's down on the bed.  I panicked!  I was like OMG this poor baby!!  He wasn't acting like it was bothering him at all, just having milk drip out of his nose like that.  I had DH google it, apparently it's normal for babies so young, and normal for overactive let down.  Well, pssht to that.   Now I put his head up on my arm when he nurses side lying.  That was just too much!  I feel like he could inhale milk or something too easily.  Has that happened to anyone else??

Also I'm finding I'm getting a ton more use out of my sling and my wrap this time around.  I haven't been out and about with him yet, but knowing I have these tools will make life much easier when I do.  I can sprint off to grab DD when she runs off and not worry about leaving baby in the cart, etc.  They were fun the first time, but this time around they seem like a necessity.  And god bless youtube for videos on how wrap and how to nurse in them!!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Jude has had milk come out his nose several times. I also freaked the first time it happened. My let down reflex is super intense. lol I usually have to spray some into a towel before he can handle it. It comes out so hard and fast I'm sure I could hit something across the room! lol He doesn't seem to mind when its leaking out of his nose though, I think it bothers me more than it does him!

04/2014 08/2014
Old 08-29-2011, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, holy growth spurt today! Nonstop eating all night and morning long. Yawn. 

Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Ok, holy growth spurt today! Nonstop eating all night and morning long. Yawn. 

Ditto.  I'm on cup of coffee # 4....

Kara - ha - ok so it's not just us!  Glad to hear that!  it def bothers me more than the baby, for sure.  And good thing I sleep on a towel.  eyesroll.gif

User Tag List