mamas with babies - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hugs to those with breastfeeding issues - it's very frustrating at first!  A lot of these things get better over time (the engorgement, intense feelings at letdown, and shallow latches) as the baby grows and can open her mouth wider and take in more milk at a feeding.  The first few weeks are hard, but they will be a distant memory soon!

Stormy hug2.gif

We have thrush too, apparently. 

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#242 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 08:03 AM

I am so sorry to not respond to individual posts!  We've started back to homeschooling and life is so busy that I barely have time to read posts, much less respond to them.  I just wanted to let you all know that I'm still here and think about you all every day. 

I find it much easier to respond to posts on Facebook, so if you're there and want to keep in touch and I haven't added you as a friend send me a request!  I have a hard time matching usernames with real life names, so I have no idea who from the FB post I have added and who I haven't!  lol  This link to my profile page should work.  https://www.facebook.com/#!/just.raising.cain

Have to run.....someone just spilled milk on the kitchen floor.  (Does anyone else feel frantic at least half of the day?  And does anyone have a semi-clean house?  I sure don't.......everything is a disaster in my house!  I am continually hoping that nobody just drops by for a visit!)

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#243 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM

At first mine had a shallow latch too. One of the nurses suggested that I get the nipple (and aureola) hard before I put it as deep in her mouth as I could shove it. Making the nipple hard first means that it all gets in her mouth in "condensed" form and then when it "relaxes" her mouth is already around it. It did seem to help somewhat for us and then she got her technique down (and her mouth grew) and it's not an issue anymore. Good luck to everyone dealing with that.

SouthernStormy, I agree with the PP who mentioned that it's the attentiveness that really counts. As far as I can see, what kids really thrive on is love and attention more than anything else... and you are giving that to her in abundance. I hope things get easier for you soon hug2.gif

DD has yellow eye goop in one eye. I am assuming it is a plugged duct. She had it when she was just born and then it cleared up with breastmilk "drops" so I'm hoping that works again.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#244 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 AM

I just got a visit from the mailman with a certified letter from the hospital.  It turns out that the blood specimen for the newborn screening test was unsatisfactory for accurate testing.  That test was excruciating for my baby!  I do NOT want to do it again.  And yet, how can I skip it knowing that it could potentially catch a serious illness?  It takes for freaking ever to milk that much blood from an infant's heel, though!!!  Just when I thought my hormones had leveled out I'm sitting here sobbing. 

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#245 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 09:39 AM

nak...

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

Have to run.....someone just spilled milk on the kitchen floor.  (Does anyone else feel frantic at least half of the day?  And does anyone have a semi-clean house?  I sure don't.......everything is a disaster in my house!  I am continually hoping that nobody just drops by for a visit!)

yeahthat.gif

Quote:

I just got a visit from the mailman with a certified letter from the hospital.  It turns out that the blood specimen for the newborn screening test was unsatisfactory for accurate testing.  That test was excruciating for my baby!  I do NOT want to do it again.  And yet, how can I skip it knowing that it could potentially catch a serious illness?  It takes for freaking ever to milk that much blood from an infant's heel, though!!!  Just when I thought my hormones had leveled out I'm sitting here sobbing. 

shake.gif  1ht...Make sure her foot is really really warm.  It helps the blood not clot.  Im so sorry poor baby has to endure the heel prick again, but youre right that its worth it.

stormy - you are doing the best for your sweet baby!!  Pls dont beat yourself up.  Motherhood is so much more than how you feed your baby, and i say you are a fabulous loving mother bc u care so very much!!  Vent, be angry, be sad.  Cry.  We are here to listen.  Much love to you.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#246 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM

OMG - minutes after I replied, my MIL texted me that she's stopping by.  House is a mess, I haven't showered, Finn won't let me put him down AT ALL today, I'm covered in spit up and breastmilk, and just got back from a 2 mile walk.  I'm in a very snappy mood for some reason (prob just lack of sleep and feeling crabby) and when DH came downstairs to "check" on us, I bit his head off and told him I don't feel like being bothered right now, but I have things under control.  Whyyyyy can't I ask for helpppp???  I make MYSELF crazy sometimes.  I feel like I have to do it all myself, and if anything is off, it's all my fault.  UGH.  I don't have to be perfect!!  Why can't I remember that when it's important???

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#247 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 10:51 AM

Jessica, sorry your LO has to get the heel prick again.  We dealt with jaundice issues, so my guy had to get pricked about 5 times total (including his newborn screening). It's all about who the lab tech is.... ask for someone who is good with babies.  We got to a point where River would barely flinch if I was nursing him, I just had to wait a few minutes until he was completely latched and distracted.  Good luck!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#248 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:

(Does anyone else feel frantic at least half of the day?  And does anyone have a semi-clean house?  I sure don't.......everything is a disaster in my house!  I am continually hoping that nobody just drops by for a visit!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

OMG - minutes after I replied, my MIL texted me that she's stopping by.  House is a mess, I haven't showered, Finn won't let me put him down AT ALL today, I'm covered in spit up and breastmilk, and just got back from a 2 mile walk.

To make everyone feel better, BEHOLD!  My kitchen --

yowza.JPG

I am also hoping no one stops by...  'Cause I'm sure not answering the door!  Not that I could find it through all this mess ROTFLMAO.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#249 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I am also hoping no one stops by...  'Cause I'm sure not answering the door!  Not that I could find it through all this mess ROTFLMAO.gif

You are my hero!  I'm not brave enough to post pictures of my kitchen on the internet!!  bow.gif

#250 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 11:47 AM

I would love to reply individually but like everyone else, I'm too busy! I am sending love to all of you with bfing issues, the most important thing of all is your love for your babies, and that above everything else will nurture them and make them healthy and happy.

Michelle I love that you shared this picture with us. I think we are all in the same boat with having a crazy house right now. I only have the new LO to look after and my house still gets crazy messy even after one day! If I turn my attention to cleaning one area of the house, another just gets messier!

AFM: DD has been sleeping for much longer stretches at night! Last night she slept from 12:30am to 5:30am! I hope this lasts, I feel soooo much better now that I have been getting a reasonable amount of sleep!

SEX: We DTD for the first time yesterday, and yikes, it hurt way worse than I was expecting it to. I am 5 weeks pp, haven't had any bleeding for about 2 weeks, so I thought I would be good to go. Well, I woke up today and was bleeding again! I'm not sure why I am bleeding, we took it really slow. Has this happened to anybody else? Please tell me this will get better and easier! I just want some kind of a normal sex life again!

#251 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

SEX: We DTD for the first time yesterday, and yikes, it hurt way worse than I was expecting it to. I am 5 weeks pp, haven't had any bleeding for about 2 weeks, so I thought I would be good to go. Well, I woke up today and was bleeding again! I'm not sure why I am bleeding, we took it really slow. Has this happened to anybody else? Please tell me this will get better and easier! I just want some kind of a normal sex life again!

We havne't done it yet this time, but yes, last time it was just like that.  In fact, the first time we tried neither of us finished, it was more like, lets see how it goes -- and I called it off within minutes!!  LOL!  It definitely gets better and easier as you heal.  I'm sure you did, but make sure you use LOTS of lube whenever you try.  Like more than you really think is even remotely necessary.  And hats off to you!  Congrats on your first postpartum romp!!  

And Im totally jealous of your 12:30-5:30 stretch!!  I hope to have that someday!!

#252 of 349 Old 09-02-2011, 01:19 PM

I've been reading everyone's posts, but haven't had time or enough hands to reply.  As it is I am using one hand.  

Stormy:  hug2.gif  I don't really have any advice, but did want to tell you that I have a co-worker who ended up not being able to breastfeed her son (something she really wanted to do) and had to feed him formula.  He is now a very healthy boy who is very well bonded with both his parents.  You are doing a great job, so don't beat youself up and know that you can vent here all you want.

Those of you working on shallow latch issues:  I often have to hold both my breast and DS's head in the proper position.  I get him to open his mouth wide then shove the nipple/areola into his mouth.  As he nurses I will often have to hold/kind of pinch the breast area to keep it fully in his mouth--this seems to need to be done less often now that he i getting bigger.  

Peony:  I'm sorry your babysitter is quitting, that really sucks.

We haven't DTD yet, but I have been thinking about it.  I'm still bleeding a little and want to wait till there is no more blood.  I second Carrie's advice about lube--use lots of it and know that DTD gets better after some time. 

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#253 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 04:03 AM

I'm trying to remember when the night sweats stop? Anyone else? I wouldn't mind them so much if I were losing some freaking water weight, but as it stands that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just roasting and sweaty all night...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#254 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:

I'm trying to remember when the night sweats stop? Anyone else? I wouldn't mind them so much if I were losing some freaking water weight, but as it stands that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm just roasting and sweaty all night...

I had pretty bad night sweats too and it started getting better about 2 weeks out for me. He was 3 weeks yesterday and I still occasionally wake up roasting but not nearly as bad as it was. In the beginning I could literally wring my shirt out I was so soaked, and the extreme leaking of breast milk didn't help either..

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#255 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I cant remember either - I dont seem to have them as bad this time- but then again i feel hot and wet from a baby body- and constant wet diapers anyways!  

PS- Any tricks for those of you with boys re: staying dry? If i "tuck it in" the pee comes up his back- i nurse and change all night long and im wiped out!!!!

#256 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:

To make everyone feel better, BEHOLD!  My kitchen --

yowza.JPG

that's NOTHIN'!!!  Wish i knew how to upload photos- my kitchen would make all feel  better these days :)

#257 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

that's NOTHIN'!!!  Wish i knew how to upload photos- my kitchen would make all feel  better these days :)

lol...um, YEAH. Me too. upsidedown.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#258 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

I cant remember either - I dont seem to have them as bad this time- but then again i feel hot and wet from a baby body- and constant wet diapers anyways!  

PS- Any tricks for those of you with boys re: staying dry? If i "tuck it in" the pee comes up his back- i nurse and change all night long and im wiped out!!!!

http://www.howtofoldadiaper.com/

We do the Angel Wing fold and only have problems when we've done something wrong :) I don't even fuss about the penis much - if it's aimed up, it's right into the front fold.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#259 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 12:55 PM

I use prefolds with DS, and I do the newspaper type fold thing. I have never had a huge issue with the cloth, and never even had to fuss with pointing him down much either. With the prefolds I still have a little fold over on the front, and like Beckily that seems to catch anything that might come up the front. I think experimenting with different folds to see what works for your particular baby is the best bet. The thing to remember with the fold that shortens is that it goes to the back for girls and front for boys. I do also still use a snappi fastener, and always have since the beginning and it gives a nice snug fit around the hips which helps with containment too in my experience.

Hope you find something that works for you soon.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#260 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM

Nald, have you checked your diapers just to make sure they aren't repelling? Hold the prefold very briefly under a light stream of water, and then remove. If ANY of the water beads up, and isn't immediately absorbed, then your dipes are repelling and that would explain the leaking.

On another note, I just am hating people today. I wish I could make folks just disappear for a few more weeks. I'm trying not to be intensely neurotic about visitors, but even a 20 minute pop in gave me a panic attack today. On the flip side, I'm excited about our DDC turning into a social group. There was a troll post in the FB thread that was downright mean! I don't know about y'all, but I need as much sensitivity as possible right now!!

Also, has anyone heard from Emerging Butterfly? I was nursing DD this morning and she popped into my head...

#261 of 349 Old 09-03-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Nald, have you checked your diapers just to make sure they aren't repelling? Hold the prefold very briefly under a light stream of water, and then remove. If ANY of the water beads up, and isn't immediately absorbed, then your dipes are repelling and that would explain the leaking.

On another note, I just am hating people today. I wish I could make folks just disappear for a few more weeks. I'm trying not to be intensely neurotic about visitors, but even a 20 minute pop in gave me a panic attack today. On the flip side, I'm excited about our DDC turning into a social group. There was a troll post in the FB thread that was downright mean! I don't know about y'all, but I need as much sensitivity as possible right now!!

Also, has anyone heard from Emerging Butterfly? I was nursing DD this morning and she popped into my head...

I am excited about moving to a Social Group too... it's funny because there have been some insensitive DDCC comments here before, but now that we are having our babies, I just feel more protective and sensitive about all of you! 

And you probably already saw it by now, but Sara posted a new thread. No baby yet, but she doesn't have a computer so isn't here much lately. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#262 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

You can read all about it here http://kellymom.com/nutrition/vitamins/vitamin-d.html  I am just going to make sure we get out in the sun everyday, which we do.

Oh, thank you for the link! I will check it out now. I think, I will be skipping giving the VIT D too...

If I remember correctly there were couple of mamas here who suffered from pubic symphsis (sp) dysfuntion during pregnancy, how are you doing now in that regard? I felt so much better right after the birth. However, in last few days it has been hurting me again just like the way it did during pregnancy. I did read it takes some time for this to go away completely....but I'm bit anxious why after feeling better the pain has returned full force. I do think most likely it's from carrying and lifting the baby on and off whole night....

So, this morning baby had her first longest stretch of sleep to date...from around 8.30 am to 1.30 p.m.!!  joy.gifAnd that's after being up ALL.NIGHT!! Her crying fit has lessened..now, she is up all night but doesn't cry as much. However, she has this interesting routine like clockwork right after 5 in the morning she will scream at top of her lungs for hours and then will sleep! I don't understand this. at.all! But now I'm not complaining as she does sleep during day time...but I can't sleep when she sleeps...I got other things to do! gah!

And I'm oh SO very glad my husband is not around...can't even think of dtd!! I had second degree tear and got stiches....all is healed and all but I feel very strange down there...like very tight and do not like it at all. Anyone has this issue?

Another question, out of curiosity (I'm not going back to work anytime soon but..) those of you going back to work...what are you doing about the child care thing? I will have to look for a job next year...but believe it or not, I'm already dreading this!  If our entire dept didn't move to out of the country (outsource beauty!) I don't think I would have quit my job (which was pretty darn good- maternity leave was 4 months 100% paid...!!). My SIL had a baby a month before me, and she is going back in Oct I think...it almost makes me crazy to think to leave such a small baby and go to work.  But I know...c'est la vie!

PP with babysitter issue, hope things get better with that. I had a supervisor once who basically went through babysitter change every 6 months as she wanted someone from her country and they come to US with 6 months visa and leave...it was tough. Can't imagine how it's on the kids seeing all different ppl so very often.

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#263 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 02:03 PM

I always feel bad when I manage to post something in this thread because I can't ever manage to keep up with the ongoing convos. I do read every single post, but it's hit and miss when tapatalk actually let's me post anything from my phone and sitting at the computer is nearly impossible for me these days. Grr...

Anyway, I'm still around, just lurking most often.

Do any of your babies have newborn acne yet? Alexander has it really bad all over his poor little face. It makes me so sad to see him all blotchy and red greensad.gif. Nickolas had it too, but not quite this bad. He did have a nasty case of cradle cap though, and so far we don't have any signs of that with Alexander.

As for DTD, it's totally not on my radar yet and DH can just tough it out as far as I'm concerned. I just stopped bleeding a few days ago. I think I'm gonna just let DH think I need to be cleared for sex by my OB when I go for my 6 wk checkup in a couple of weeks.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#264 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

Do any of your babies have newborn acne yet? Alexander has it really bad all over his poor little face. It makes me so sad to see him all blotchy and red greensad.gif. Nickolas had it too, but not quite this bad. He did have a nasty case of cradle cap though, and so far we don't have any signs of that with Alexander.

OMG Finn has it and it is SO HARD for me not to pick his little pimples!!  Nora didn't have it at all, she was peaches and cream from the get go.  This poor boy is such a pizza face, and me being an esthetician, I just want to grab my extractor and go to town!!  But of course, I won't, lol!

O/T - I'm getting so frustrated with my ring sling.  I loved it with Nora but it's making me batty.  The fabric keeps getting twisted in the rings, and I can't seem to ever get the top rail tight enough.  By the time it's tight enough, it's seriously digging into my neck.  I've watched a few videos on youtube trying to get it right but man, I'm getting frazzled!!  Any tips?

#265 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egmaranian View Post

I always feel bad when I manage to post something in this thread because I can't ever manage to keep up with the ongoing convos. I do read every single post, but it's hit it miss when tapatalk actually let's me post anything from my phone and sitting at the computer is nearly impossible for me these days. Grr...

Anyway, I'm still around, just lurking most often.

Yes! I don't like it!  It's not terrible, but it's bad enough. All this glowing baby skin and then he turns 13 :P

Becky

Married to Dusty

#266 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

O/T - I'm getting so frustrated with my ring sling.  I loved it with Nora but it's making me batty.  The fabric keeps getting twisted in the rings, and I can't seem to ever get the top rail tight enough.  By the time it's tight enough, it's seriously digging into my neck.  I've watched a few videos on youtube trying to get it right but man, I'm getting frazzled!!  Any tips?

I'm having this same problem. I end up tightening it enough to be close but not where it really should be. I'm hoping when Liam gets a bit bigger he fills out the sling a bit more. My tail is also way too long (it's home made.) but I'm hoping I might be able to use it for shorter wrap carries perhaps. (I used a no-sew method for making it, so the rings are removable.)

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#267 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 07:39 PM

Jude also has baby acne and I hate it! Its not horrible but I wish it would go away soon!

I'm glad to see some of your little ones are sleeping more. I hope everyone is getting some kind of routine down!

Carrie I also have some issues I am still trying to work out with my sling. For the most part I can get him in and tight enough but all the videos show the edge of the fabric should be on either edge of the ring so you can tighten them separately. Mine always get twisted too. I have tried to fan them out like all the videos show but I'm not having much luck. I have had the most luck following this video for threading http://www.granolababies.com/nurturebabynaturally/2010/02/how-to-thread-a-ring-sling/  I hope that helps some. And as for getting the top rail tight enough are you pulling it out and across your body? That may be a dumb question but as a newbie to ring slings I just figured out that is how you are suppose to tighten that one. And mine has a pleated shoulder so it sits on my shoulder like a capped sleeve so I don't have any advice about keeping it off your neck.

AFM tonight has been so frustrating!! DH left for work at 4:45 and I was feeding Jude. When he was finished I changed him and then he started acting like he wanted to eat again so I fed him some more. He eventually started unlatching himself and fussing. He did this several times till I finally stopped nursing and put him in his swing. He was still fussy and making feeding cues so I tried to nurse again. Same thing would suck for a minute pop off and cry. So I then put him in my ring sling and he usually passes right out, but he was still fussing and crying and making feeding cues. He nursed on and off like this till around 8:45 when I finally put him in the car and went for a drive. I don't understand why he was doing this. It kind of reminded me of cluster feeding but was instead non stop.. And by the end of the whole ordeal I seriously don't even think he was getting anything. I don't know if he was just fussy or what? Are you ladies experiencing anything like this?

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#268 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

Jude also has baby acne and I hate it! Its not horrible but I wish it would go away soon!

I'm glad to see some of your little ones are sleeping more. I hope everyone is getting some kind of routine down!

w you are suppose to tighten that one. And mine has a pleated shoulder so it sits on my shoulder like a capped sleeve so I don't have any advice about keeping it off your neck.

AFM tonight has been so frustrating!! DH left for work at 4:45 and I was feeding Jude. When he was finished I changed him and then he started acting like he wanted to eat again so I fed him some more. He eventually started unlatching himself and fussing. He did this several times till I finally stopped nursing and put him in his swing. He was still fussy and making feeding cues so I tried to nurse again. Same thing would suck for a minute pop off and cry. So I then put him in my ring sling and he usually passes right out, but he was still fussing and crying and making feeding cues. He nursed on and off like this till around 8:45 when I finally put him in the car and went for a drive. I don't understand why he was doing this. It kind of reminded me of cluster feeding but was instead non stop.. And by the end of the whole ordeal I seriously don't even think he was getting anything. I don't know if he was just fussy or what? Are you ladies experiencing anything like this?

Oh yes ;) It's been fun. He signals want of boob and then throws screaming, pinching, hitting, kicking fits when I put one in his mouth. And I just wait and pet his head until he suddenly goes "Oh!" and nurses. And he takes breaks to makes sure I know he's unhappy and yells... and then nurses. He wants to be on me constantly and if he's not sleeping, he sure as hell better be eating or heads will roll.

He yells more about dirty diapers, too. So if he's just woken up, he gets changed and then any fussing after that gets first boob and then a try with daddy of walking around and burping and then boob again and he usually settles for that then and passes out again. He can't sleep without a boob, either. Even if he's nursed for a long time, fallen asleep and woken up 2 minutes later... he must nurse right away or he'll Certainly Die.

The wrapping/jostling/shushing noises from Happiest Baby on the Block help. Standing helps. Talking quietly and asking what he needs can help. Even sweetly repeating "What is your major malfunction" isn't bad as he doesn't yet know English.. ;)

I wish you joy with this phase and hope we all move out of it soon!

Becky

Married to Dusty

#269 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:

I have been having this same problem.  My friend who is an LC said that maybe he has already gotten all the milk he wants, and is mad that his "pacifier" keeps spurting out milk! 

I'm also having trouble with my ring sling. These videos have helped a little. But I've found I can only wear it with the cap sleeve part by my neck in order to distribute the weight to my shoulder, which means only wearing it on one side.  I'm hoping the ladies at my LLL meeting can help me when I see them on Wed.

#270 of 349 Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I adore my ring sling and that is all I've been using so far with this baby. I usually switch back and forth between my moby and ring sling with a newborn but the moby and this heat, um no. Anyway, the ring sling is a learned art and maybe an acquired taste, people seemeither love them or hate them. I wear mine all over town and I get tons of comments form other moms about how they could never get theirs on right and hated it. I live in a huge baby wearing town. I really like them for the newborn phase and then when baby is old enough to do a hip carry, I don't use them in the between stage of when baby is no longer content to be stuck in there like a little burrito! I go to my ergo then.

You should be able to pull on sections of the fabric by the ring to tighten various parts of the sling. My trick is to put the ring behind my shoulder, tuck baby in and then tighten and then the ring will be near where I want it to be and then I just tighten the sections where I need to. Some fabrics loosen easily in the ring and can be a huge PIA. I have a guazy type ring sling that I loathe because it loosens and I am constantly readjusting, my other one has a more heavy duty fabric and I rarely have to readjust. I must of had my sling on for 10 something hours today because he refused to let me set him down for a single second without wailing his head off. eyesroll.gif

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page