Tamera's Baby is HERE!!! Updated!! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Aww he's adorable! Congratulations!!!

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#32 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 04:34 AM

Aw, how sweet!  Congratulations, Tamera!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#33 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 06:17 AM

Congrats Tamera!!!  Welcome, Baby Augustus!!

(great name!!!)

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#34 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 08:29 AM

Yaaaay! So exciting! I look forward to more news!

#35 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Fabulous! She did have an amazingly great belly, and now a beautiful earthside boy. Love it! 

#36 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congratulations on your beautiful boy!

#37 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Yay! Congratulations Tamera! Nice to see another big boy like mine smile.gif

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#38 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Congrats and welcome baby Augustus! Btw, I love the name. It almost made our final two.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#39 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 05:45 PM

Thanks so much for the ELV's everyone! They totally worked. 7 hours of labor and Augustus was born in birthing tub in our master bedroom. I'll try to post the whole birth story in the next few days.

Here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwGvALHWeNs&feature=share

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#40 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Tamera, congratulations! He is so, so beautiful and what a head full of hair he has!

Yay, too,  for a 7 hour labor! I look forward to reading your birth story. :-)

#41 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 07:02 PM

THE HAIR!!!  AND THE YAWN!!!  I loooooove it.  So beautiful Tamera!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#42 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 07:04 PM

So cute! And your DD is such a great big sister already

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#43 of 54 Old 08-07-2011, 08:25 PM

Oh I love the video! What two adorable kids you have Tamera! Looks like your daughter is going to be an excellent big sister!

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#44 of 54 Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 AM

Yay!  Congrats joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#45 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 03:42 PM

A Healing Homebirth

I went to my last prenatal appointment at the birth center on the afternoon of Friday August 5th. According to my ultrasound, I was 40 weeks and 1 day pregnant. I still felt mostly content being pregnant. The only thing weighing on my mind was the fact that no matter what day the baby ended up being born, Robb would have to start college again on August 22nd. The appointment went well. I discussed how I was trying to enjoy the pregnancy because it was my last, and one of the amazing student midwives Sophia offered to give me a belly message. She did some wonderful visualization during the message that really helped calm my anxiety about the labor and birth. "Everyone at your birth is going to be on your side. Your baby knows when the time is right." I think being able to relax is what put me into labor.

I came home from the appointment and decided it would be a good time to make a big pot of chili to freeze. I had contractions on and off, but that was nothing new since I had been experiencing false labor every night for weeks. We had a pretty relaxing evening at home and I had a very restful night of sleep.

I woke up the next morning around 7:15 am and felt a mild contraction. I was still for a few minutes to see if it continued, and sure enough I had two more contractions about 2-3 minutes apart. I nudged Robb and let him know that I was sure I was in early labor. I went to the bathroom and had some bloody show. Real labor at last! I was feeling very grateful to not have to worry about packing a hospital bag or deciding how long to labor at home. I called my midwife Darynee to give her a heads up that I was definitely in labor. The contractions were close together which is typical for my labors, but they were far from painful at that point. She told me to call her back in an hour unless something changed.

I started wandering around the house to make sure everything was in order and where the midwife would expect things to be. Robb sprung right into action like I knew he would. I didn't have to lift a finger the rest of the day. He brought me my birthing ball and I started bouncing through contractions, hoping that gravity would help make some progress before the pain really set in. The hour soon passed and I called Darynee to let her know that I'd like for her and her two students Sophia and Gabi to start heading over. It seemed like only a few minutes passed before they arrived and I felt a sense of relief to have them all nearby. Since I woke up in labor I didn't have a chance to make breakfast, so they made me scrambled eggs and toast and I ate it between contractions.

Around that time, we found out that the hose we bought to fill up the birthing tub wouldn't connect to any of the sinks or showers in the apartment. Robb and Aidan started filling it with plastic bins of hot water. They must have carried 100 gallons of water between the bathroom and the tub before my labor was over. I don't remember what time I got in the tub, but I believe a few hours had passed and I was starting to have trouble breathing through contractions on the birthing ball. Once I stepped in, the relief was instant. The next several contractions were hardly noticeable.

Robb was doing a great job of "keeping the house stable" in his words and taking care of the kids, so I decided we didn't need anyone to come over and help with them. He picked up lunch for everyone from Quiznos and came into the room often to check on me. It gets hazy once the pain started growing in intensity, but I do remember him coming into the bedroom and saying "No progress?" to which I replied "What the f***? Of course there has been progress! *pause for contraction* Sorry, sorry." The poor guy probably didn't come back as often after that.

At one point I started feeling like the pain was reaching a level I couldn't cope with for long.

Me: "I don't know how much longer I can do this."

Darynee: "You're doing great."

Me: "But why don't you bring epidurals with you?"

Darynee: "It's better for the baby this way. You're doing great. I bet your sister would be proud of you."

I thought to myself: Okay, okay. Maybe I don't need an epidural, but this really hurts. This is never going to end. I'm going to be in this pool in pain for the rest of my life and eventually I'm going to die. Don't feel sorry for yourself. You can do this.

Me: "If you break my water, will it hurt more?"

Darynee: "Usually things get more intense after the water is broken."

Me: "Will it be over sooner?"

Darynee: "I can't guarantee that."

Me: "What happens if it doesn't break?"

Darynee: "Then the baby will be born in the caul. Did you want me to break it?"

Me: "I'll think about it."

I thought only a few contractions passed, but afterward Darynee told me it was a few hours before I asked to have my water broken. Once it happened, I felt an overwhelming urge to push. I was reclining against the edge of the pool when I started to push and I think Darynee could tell that something wasn't right. Someone went to get Robb and Darynee told me to lean over the edge of the pool and lift one leg up. Before I knew it Robb was in front of me and all I could do was push and scream. I felt the head come out and I started yelling to Darynee "Pull it out! Just pull it out!" Robb says that I tried to sit down at one point when the head was already out and he was worried that I was going to break his neck. I remember standing up and yelling more and screaming and pushing. Finally, baby was out. I turned around and lifted up his leg. "A boy! It's a boy! You have a son. It's Augustus. He's real." I felt such immediate relief.

It turns out he had shoulder dystocia, but I didn't know until it was over. Darynee handled it so well that I never knew there was a problem. He didn't start breathing right away, but he didn't require any oxygen, just stimulation.

I'm still in disbelief that I gave birth to a baby over 9 lbs in our bedroom. I didn't have any medication, not even Tylenol. I did it all on my own (with support from my wonderful husband and my amazing midwives). For the first time, I have no regrets about my birth experience.

Augustus is perfect and we're so grateful to have him complete our family.

lovingmommyhood likes this.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#46 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 PM

What a wonderful birth story, Tamera!  I barely know you and I'm proud of you!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#47 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 04:27 PM

Thanks for sharing your story, Tamera. You did a great job. smile.gif

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#48 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Aw, what a lovely birth story Tamera. Thank you so much for writing it up. And the video! It's just too precious, he is such a handsome little guy.

girl reading.gif absolutely in love with boy modifiedartist.gif.  DD loveeyes.gif (11/06) and DS luxlove.gif (08/11), and someone new in July stork-suprise.gif!
#49 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 05:16 PM

He's very real and very cute! Wonderful birth, mama, I'm glad it ended so well! You did wonderfully :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#50 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 PM

Your story is so moving, thank you for honoring us with sharing it. I am so proud of you mama, congrats! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#51 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Intense and lovely birth story...Thanks for sharing. All the best!!

#52 of 54 Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 PM

Such a fantastic birth story Tamera!!  Lovely lovely.  I'm so glad this experience (justly) gave you more confidence in your body, and no regrets to deal with!!

Thanks so much for sharing.   It's so wonderful to read stories like this in the days leading up to my own birth.  Hope you're just loving on that gorgeous new boy of yours  orngbiggrin.gif

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#53 of 54 Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

I know I've told you this already, but you are such a rockstar! I'm so proud of you.  I love hearing the details of what went on and I love that Robb brought Quiznos for lunch.  It's the little things that you'll remember and that will stick out in your mind for years.  Thanks so much for sharing.  You did wonderfully and should be so, so proud!! love.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#54 of 54 Old 08-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Thanks for the love you guys! I don't know if I would have felt capable of having a homebirth without the support and inspiration from this group. I keep reading my own story over and over and it still seems like a dream. I'm so thankful that I had this experience and I'm glad to know all of you. I look forward to watching all our babies grow and continuing to support each other.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page