Baby boy still nameless....need opinions - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Baby name help...which do you like?
Calvin (nickname Cal) 14 29.17%
Elliot 18 37.50%
Liam 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2011, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all.  Haven't been on much since little one arrived Tuesday...I need to catch up and write the birth story. 

Anyway, he is still nameless and I came here looking for advice.  Our plan was to have a list of names we liked and see which one he looked like when he came out.  There's something to be said for that because my top two going into the labor are not the two I like most now that I've met him. 

So the list was:

Harrison

Henry

Miles

Nolan

Liam

Elliot

Oliver

Calvin

We have narrowed it down to Elliot, Calvin, and Liam.  Here's the scoop on each name:

Elliot - I have loved this name since before we started trying.  I could always imagine myself soothing little "baby Elliot" and could really picture it after I got pregnant.  DH was never thrilled with the name so I took it off the list.  A couple days ago he asked if baby looked like an Elliot and it was back on the list.  I just love it, but no one else does.  We haven't told anyone our choices, but in the past when I have mentioned it, people said they didn't like it.  It's not that I care if our family loves it or anything, but I don't want to stick the kid with a bad (dorky, nerdy, etc) name either. 

Calvin - nothing special about this name...we just liked it on a baby naming website and he looks like a Calvin. :)  It fits him.  We would call him Cal which I think is a cute nickname.  It's also a very rare name (I think like number 234 or something) so it has the added benefit of not being popular.

Liam - cool sounding name, but I worry it's too popular (currently #30...has been increasing in popularity like crazy).  The story behind this choice is that DH's grandpa died one week before the baby was born and his name was William.  DH would like to name the baby after him in part by calling him Liam.  His middle name would be Doyle after my grandpa. 

So I love that Calvin is so rare.  I love Elliot for some unknown reason.  I think Liam Doyle is a cool sounding name with lots of meaning.  Is Elliot nerdy or dorky?  Is there anything weird about the other two name?

Thoughts?

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 04:59 PM

He looks like a Liam, Bree.  Liam Doyle.  Love it.  LOVE, love, love.  Throw in the meaning with your DH's gpa and it's just bringing tears to my eyes.  He is such a cutie and you are such a blessed mama! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Good call Carrie...I should post pics for my non-FB buddies.  Here he is:

bed baby 2.jpeg

pooh baby.jpeg

boppy.jpeg

Bree - wife to Dave stillheart.gif and "mother" of Scooterdog2.gif.  Baby Elliott arrived August 2, 2011 at home in the water.  stork-boy.gif

Old 08-06-2011, 05:30 PM

What a cutie pie! I don't think the name Elliot is dorky at all, all the Elliots I've ever known were really cool guys. That being said, I'm in love with the name Liam, so I voted for that one. (it's also on our list of boy name possibilities).

Don't worry, his name will come to you! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 08-06-2011, 05:33 PM

I've always loved the name Elliot. I've never really viewed it as a dorky name. I've known a few Elliot's and they were all pretty cool, nice guys.

I also love the name Liam- but personally I prefer names that aren't quite so popular at the moment and it seems like Liam is a hot name right now and growing quickly in popularity.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

So Liam doesn't seem too popular?  It's top 30, but not top 10 or anything.  Percentage wise, Dh said it;s like 1 in 200 boys...that's not a lot.  For some reason I was/am worried it's too common and my baby is anything but common.  lol  :)  I do like the name a lot...probably being silly about the number.  I need sleep.  He's a great sleeper, but I watch him like a hawk and don't sleep well. 

Thanks for the votes and opinions so far. :)

Old 08-06-2011, 05:35 PM

I agree 100 percent that he looks like a Calvin! That could be because I have a baby cousin named Liam so I now picture him when I think of the name. I love them both though. 

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
Old 08-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They are all terrific names, but I think if you've always loved Elliot, go with that.  Elliot Doyle sounds great.  I don't think Elliot is dorky AT ALL. 

He's gorgeous, btw :)

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I love Calvin, and I really love the nickname Cal (our boy is Malcolm, will be called Mal). I think he really looks like a little Cal.

Elliot was one of my top picks, too. I don't think it sounds dorky at all. I really like it.

Liam is a name I've always liked the sound of, but with the popularity most little Liams I meet are kind of "another Liam" to me. It's harder to remember. Honestly, though, I love all the names. And he's so cute! I'm so jealous you're getting to cuddle him. Hope you're feeling well.

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 08-06-2011, 06:18 PM

I like Liam and Elliot. I don't think kids get dorky names - I think they get the dorky bit and then their name SEEMS dorky.

You could name him Elliot Liam Calvin and then see what everyone starts to cal him ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 08-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

I like Liam and Elliot. I don't think kids get dorky names - I think they get the dorky bit and then their name SEEMS dorky.

Right?  I knew a kid in high school whose name was Eugene.  He was hot as anything and I would probably still do him in a heartbeat.  With a name like Eugene you wouldn't picture a total hottie, I agree it's the kid and not the name that makes a dork.  All your names are good, solid choices, Bree!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-06-2011, 06:46 PM

I love Liam Doyle...so cute!  But I really like the nickname Cal too.  That is a tough one....

Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Thinking even further I like the nickname Eli.  Tough choice, Bree!!  Tough.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:59 PM

I voted for Calvin just because I like it the most.  I like the others too.  But in my area Liam is very popular right now and Elliot is becoming more of a female name.  It is a tough choice!  Good luck deciding.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

Old 08-06-2011, 07:18 PM

Well I'm no help because I think all of the names are fantastic! That is a hard choice! I do know he is adorable and you are amazing joy.gifI love your birth story and your baby is gorgeous, his skin is like butter. Good luck on the name, it is always a tough decision.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:39 PM

He's so beautiful! You seem to write the most about Elliot, which suggests that's the name you like best? (And I have never found Elliot to be a dorky name.)

That said, Liam Doyle, in tribute to baby's grandfathers is very cool too, but I hear you on trying to find a name that is not too popular right now...

All said, each name you listed is quite lovely. Maybe you have to pick from a hat. Or have 3 people light a candle at the same time, each representing your name choices, and whichever candle goes out first is the name you choose. (Someone described this method to me, as my husband and I have been struggling with name choices as well).

All the best to your new bundle of joy!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:25 PM

I think he does look like a Liam, and I love that it has such a special meaning behind it.

I didn't even look at popularity when choosing a name. I go with what feels right, and what the names mean. I ended up picking the most popular name for 2010, but didn't know until many months later, and I wouldn't change it for anything, as Aiden is still my little fire ball of energy.

I think that whatever name you finally decide will be the perfect name for your precious little boy. Go with your gut, it won't ever be wrong.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 08-06-2011, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I had to go with Elliot because I love the movie E.T. wink1.gif

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post

I voted for Calvin just because I like it the most.  I like the others too.  But in my area Liam is very popular right now and Elliot is becoming more of a female name.  It is a tough choice!  Good luck deciding.

ddcc to say yeah that.

There are sooooo many Liams in our small town. And Elliot is a girls name.

Calvin is a fantastic name, old fashioned, classic, hip at the same time, not popular, and has a great nick name.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:27 PM

I like Elliot the best. I like the other two as well, but I know too many Liams already, and Calvin reminds me of a comic book character.

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 08-06-2011, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies.  Sounds like I can't go wrong.  I do feel like I'm most attached to Elliot, like the sentiment of Liam (after his gpa William) best, and think Calvin/Cal is just a cool name.  Each has its own draw.  Tricky tricky.  Thanks ladies.  So far the poll is evenly split btwn Elliot and Liam with Calvin right behind it,

Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM

I liked Liam best when I first read your choices. But after I read your reasons for each name I like it even more. I wouldn't worry about name popularity if you really like the name.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 AM

I'm not gonna vote because then there looks like a "losing" name and what if that's the one you pick! I love all three. Baby Boy will be well named with either of 'em. 

Old 08-07-2011, 10:37 AM

I think all three names are great, but as an infant/toddler/preschool teacher, I should warn you that Liam is very popular right now in the under 5 age group.  Elliot and Calvin are much rarer.  I don't think the popularity of Liam should necessarily rule the name out (we're naming our daughter Mary despite its overwhelming popularity for the past 400 years) but it's something to keep in mind when making your decision.  

Good Luck!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:54 PM

I think he looks like a Liam too, and I am the same way; I don't look at popularity, I go with what "feels right" :)

Both of my kids I picked names I loved and that fit them perfectly, and right after they were named, the names suddenly became popular. I don't care though, because they just fit, you know?
So yeah, go with your gut! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynann View Post

I think he does look like a Liam, and I love that it has such a special meaning behind it.

I didn't even look at popularity when choosing a name. I go with what feels right, and what the names mean. I ended up picking the most popular name for 2010, but didn't know until many months later, and I wouldn't change it for anything, as Aiden is still my little fire ball of energy.

I think that whatever name you finally decide will be the perfect name for your precious little boy. Go with your gut, it won't ever be wrong.

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 08-07-2011, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Liam's going to be my baby's name if it's a boy. 

All biases aside, Elliot is the one I'm getting a good feeling for with your boy. Seems like it would be a good fit.

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

Old 08-07-2011, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

Hi all.  Haven't been on much since little one arrived Tuesday...I need to catch up and write the birth story. 

Anyway, he is still nameless and I came here looking for advice.  Our plan was to have a list of names we liked and see which one he looked like when he came out.  There's something to be said for that because my top two going into the labor are not the two I like most now that I've met him. 

So the list was:

Harrison

Henry

Miles

Nolan

Liam

Elliot

Oliver

Calvin

We have narrowed it down to Elliot, Calvin, and Liam.  Here's the scoop on each name:

Elliot - I have loved this name since before we started trying.  I could always imagine myself soothing little "baby Elliot" and could really picture it after I got pregnant.  DH was never thrilled with the name so I took it off the list.  A couple days ago he asked if baby looked like an Elliot and it was back on the list.  I just love it, but no one else does.  We haven't told anyone our choices, but in the past when I have mentioned it, people said they didn't like it.  It's not that I care if our family loves it or anything, but I don't want to stick the kid with a bad (dorky, nerdy, etc) name either. 

Calvin - nothing special about this name...we just liked it on a baby naming website and he looks like a Calvin. :)  It fits him.  We would call him Cal which I think is a cute nickname.  It's also a very rare name (I think like number 234 or something) so it has the added benefit of not being popular.

Liam - cool sounding name, but I worry it's too popular (currently #30...has been increasing in popularity like crazy).  The story behind this choice is that DH's grandpa died one week before the baby was born and his name was William.  DH would like to name the baby after him in part by calling him Liam.  His middle name would be Doyle after my grandpa. 

So I love that Calvin is so rare.  I love Elliot for some unknown reason.  I think Liam Doyle is a cool sounding name with lots of meaning.  Is Elliot nerdy or dorky?  Is there anything weird about the other two name?

Thoughts?

My vote is for Elliot. My baby sisters are here, so I asked them. They're in middle school, going into the 7th & 8th grades, and they both liked Elliot the best. They thought Liam might be too popular and they didn't really give an opinion on Calvin.

Happy naming!! Congrats again!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone.  I don't know why this is so hard. :)  You ever start to analyze something so much that you forget your initial feelings about it?  I found an email I wrote to DH in October (before we started trying) and it was about baby names.  It said that I really wanted to consider Elliot because I loved the name so much for so long.  I should probably just go with that.  It said that I got sad whenever I thought about not using it.  Sigh.  Seems like that's my answer, right?  I just really like the other names too.  Guess we just need to have another boy. :)  We actually decided NOT to use Liam as a first name.  As special a name as it would be because of his grandpa and the way the name sounds...not to mention it's just a really cool name, we decided it's too popular for us.  I don't think it would be a big deal, but since we're having trouble deciding, it's just a factor we can use to help narrow the choices.  So it's Calvin or Elliot, though now I keep wondering if we should reconsider Harrison or something.  I like the name, but I don't know if he looks like that or if he looks like a Harry.  I'm a dork...these are all good names.  Just what is my baby boy...besides amazing!!??

All issues aside, my baby boy is so beautiful and I just can't believe he's mine and he's here.  It's amazing!

Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM

Bree, it sounds like in your heart you have already decided on a name. If that is the name you love and would feel sad not to use then that is your sweet boy's name. I like all of your potential names, including Harrison, but he isn't my son. Sounds to me like Elliot is what your heart/gut has been telling you all along. Is there another reason why you are having a difficult time committing to that name? Sounds like a great name to me, and your sweet little boy will grow into whatever name you pick, and make it his own as he grows and his personality molds the name.

Hope you can find some peace about a final choice soon.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 08-09-2011, 10:21 AM

Go with Elliot!!  Don't torture yourself, mama!  I agree with Lyn, it sounds like in your heart you want to name him Elliot.   love.gif

User Tag List