Baby Moses - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My baby is here! Moses arrived at 7:24 am weighing 6 lbs 12 oz. My first unmedicated birth, in the hospital. smile.gif update when we get home! He's an amazing nurser

At about midnight on August 8th I started feeling some very very faint contractions, they were not unlike the false contractions I'd been having for weeks and weeks but when I went to the bathroom I had a bright red clot. Being 90 miles from the hospital and at my due date we decided to get on the road to get things checked out. DH and I got to town and decided to walk around Walmart for awhile to see if we couldn't get things moving a little bit...I couldn't tell what was going on because contractions were so sporadic and seemed to have no pattern whatsoever in terms of length or intensity or space between them...

Got to the hospital at 2 a.m. and contractions seemed a little stronger but nothing that convinced me "This is really it". The nurse checked my cervix and put me on the monitor...cervix was a 4 and contractions were pretty weak. We unhooked from the monitor and went for a long walk around the hospital, I'd say we walked for an hour then went back into our room so I could get into the bath. All during the walk I would stop during a contraction and my husband would do a hip squeeze on me because I was having back labor.

Being in the tub was amazing but I was getting frustrated because my contractions were still so crazy, not following a pattern...sometimes it seemed like I'd skip a contraction and some were weak, some were strong. I decided after probably 45 minutes that I wanted to be checked again because I was unsure if it was really labor since the contractions were as they were...

Nurse checked and said I was a stretchy seven which shocked me as they were still so mild... When she got me on the monitor the baby's heart rate was elevated close to the 200's so I laid on the monitor on my side with an oxygen mask until things evened out at which point I moved onto the birth ball.

Right about that time I started to freak out...I let the thoughts of doubt creep in...What if I was going to end up with a cesarean...what if the doctor comes in and advises PIT since my contractions were all over the map...I kept mentioning maybe getting an epidural...the nurse sort of ignored me, in a polite way. She knew I wanted a natural birth and seemed like she was trying to respectfully talk me out of it without saying so...

The doctor arrived and checked me at which time I was a nine and he broke my water. I was glad for this because I thought...these contractions are useless, they need to be more in a pattern and hopefully having my water broken would do that. The nurse said the contractions were unusual but they were obviously doing their job and that was what mattered. The pain was completely manageable...I wouldn't say I could talk during every contraction but definitely the majority and I was joking between them, texting friends...I wasn't sweaty or emotional besides worried about how things would go.

I laid down and labored through two contractions (Which had suddenly, from the time I laid down, gotten super painful and even worse when my OB slipped the lip around the baby's head...I pushed and he moved down quickly but it was very VERY painful and I was yelling and whimpering and swearing (Which I never do!) but out he came! What an amazing relief. No tears nor even a skid mark to my perineum.

I'm not sure if anybody will remember this but with my three previous pregnancies my placenta was labeled retained. I always felt this was bologna because IMO the doctor & midwives never waited long enough to even know that...nor did I have unusual bleeding. My current OB knew all of this and he waited for my placenta which I eventually pushed out IN TACT. joy.gif That was such a relief!

Moses is a good little eater and I had to be very un AP and convince him a paci was cool because he was trying to nurse around the clock which is impossible with the other three kids. We still get to snuggle all day long though.

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#2 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Wow!  Great job mama. :) Congrats!

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#3 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Congrats! can't wait to read his story and see pics!

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#4 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:24 PM

Hooray and welcome Moses!!  Can't wait for more deets and pics when you're up to it!! Congratulations, mama!!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Congrats mama and welcome Moses! I can't wait to see pics and hear more about him. 

Enjoy your baby moon and great work!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#6 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM

Congratulations!  Can't wait to hear details!

#7 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Congratulations Mama, and welcome baby Moses

Enjoy the babymoon and update with pics when you can.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#8 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 04:57 PM

joy.gif congratulations mama!

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#9 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 05:04 PM

Congratulation!! Good job :D

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#10 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 PM

Yay mama!!  Congrats, and can't wait to hear the story, see the pics, and ooooh and ahhh over your sweet little newborn!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#11 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM

Congrats! :)

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#12 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Aww, congratulations! I hope you're enjoying your babymoon time. And welcome to the world baby Moses joy.gif

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
#13 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 06:00 PM

Yaaaayyy! Cheers and joy to you and baby Moses!

#14 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 06:23 PM

congratulations!!!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#15 of 28 Old 08-08-2011, 07:36 PM

Welcome baby Moses!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#16 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 AM

Congratulations, and welcome baby Moses! joy.gif

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#17 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Welcome baby Moses & Congratulations to you!

~SynEpona~
#18 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Updated in original post :)

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
#19 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM

Great story!  Congrats momma.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#20 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 PM

Sounds like an awesome labor even though contractions were a little weird for you.  He is soooooo cute!!  Congrats!

#21 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Has that ever happened to any of you? It still sort of bothers me that the contractions were so random...I feel like it was a fluke. Don't get me wrong, I appreciated that it wasn't incredibly painful and intense but I feel like it's this odd mystery or like I wasn't supposed to be in labor yet or something... 

#22 of 28 Old 08-09-2011, 09:25 PM

What an adorable little guy you have! joy.gif

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#23 of 28 Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 PM

Congrats! Are you so thrilled to have your first all natural birth experience?

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

#24 of 28 Old 08-12-2011, 04:09 PM

I don't know how I missed your birth story before.  He's such a beautiful baby!  Congratulations!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
#25 of 28 Old 08-12-2011, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamera View Post

Congrats! Are you so thrilled to have your first all natural birth experience?

Is it uncrunchy of me to say I still feel a tad bit scarred? ROTFLMAO.gif I'm PROUD of myself for doing it but -wow- I never realized how much it would truly hurt. I didn't think I'd ever swear in front of my mother. I'm in AWE of anybody who can do it silently...impossible for me. The nurses were gushing over how calm and together I was during labor and she told me "We hardly ever get to see somebody do it naturally anymore." So that was definitely fun to hear. I would probably do it all again but I might need to be asked in 6-12 months when I've forgotten a little bit. winky.gif He is soooooo worth it. 

#26 of 28 Old 08-12-2011, 08:00 PM - Thread Starter

moses2.jpg

My niece and I with Moses

moses3.jpg

DS1 with Moses AKA DS3 (EEK)

#27 of 28 Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Moses is beautiful and I love the name! Your birth sounds awesome, too! Congrats on delivering your placenta and not having it labeled retained. There is definitely something to be said for patience.

I loved reading your story. luxlove.gif

#28 of 28 Old 08-13-2011, 09:14 AM

O my gosh!! How did I miss this?? He is GORGEOUS mama and I adore his name! Congrats! joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page