baby's position is 'oblique" - anyone??? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Was so concerned about lying posterior- ultrasound today showed spine up :) but lying 'oblique"- basically curling his legs around in a c shape with feet towards the head - HUH???

#2 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Is that kind of like transverse?  I've never heard of that position before.  Hmm.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

kind of like curled around- i should know better than to google something like this !!!  A lot of info says the baby will get self into position from oblique- then other info says it'll be a long hard labor (AGAIN!!!) and practitioners may recommend c - section.  Maybe this is nature's way of telling me it is NOT in my control to have the birth i want...

#4 of 12 Old 08-08-2011, 05:34 PM

In my experience, oblique is an angled position, between Breech-transverse or transverse-head down.

Since I have weird babies in that 3% that don't go head down till the last minute .... I can only tell you how things went for me!

DS was fully transverse at 38.5 weeks, and started to move to a more oblique position (head part way down, but not fully down) the morning of my scheduled C-section, so they let me go home, and about 10 days later (one day before his EDD) when I went into labour he finished turning to a fully head down position during labour, and during the later parts of labour -- after I arrived at the hospital at 9pm and before he was born at 2am.

DD had to be flipped via external version due to a fluid leak, before labour was induced, at 38 1/2 weeks (approx.). She had been transverse, oblique in many ways, head down AND fully breech -- in a complete breech, and a footling breech, in the 10 days prior.

Pulsatilla (the homeopathic treatment for good positioning) did work, but that would only help her stay in that good position for a few days before flipping back around. She was never content to stay in any one spot for more than a day or two right to the end.

The 'curled up legs towards head' is how she was all the time, with the exception of her footling breech moments, and had no bearing on her over all breech/transverse/oblique/headdown positioning.

~SynEpona~
#5 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

my doula says im stressing over nothing- he's head down, spine up, just on his side - and will hopefully move into position for birth.  Since his head is WAY down, she says it is unlikely he could go transverse or breech- oh, the things i didnt know to even think about when pregnant with DD!!!

#6 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 10:07 AM

That must be how my baby is, because I'm feeling feet where it doesn't seem feet should be in a head down position (but I can feel head near my pubic bone). I've been trying to figure it out for weeks!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
#7 of 12 Old 08-09-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJennifer View Post

That must be how my baby is, because I'm feeling feet where it doesn't seem feet should be in a head down position (but I can feel head near my pubic bone). I've been trying to figure it out for weeks!

Exactly- I couldnt figure out where all these limbs were coming from :)

#8 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM

My baby is in that position right now and has been in it for a few days (38.1 today). She has been breech and head down, and now has settled kind of diagonal, where her head is down low on the right side and her butt is up top on the left. I didn't know it was called oblique.

She also is sometimes in the "pike position" (gymnastics, lol) like your baby. With feet up around her face, as if she were folded in half. But there is so much amniotic fluid that she can also put her legs down past fetal position and still exercise them. She's not very big, I'm hoping for 6 lbs, and she seems to still have room to move.

Last night I thought she might have engaged because when I got up from the couch where I slump every evening like a slug, I could barely walk and felt such vaginal pressure. Don't feel it today though. Can thy engage and unenegage?

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
#9 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Oops, I made my date wrong in my previous. I am not38 weeks but 37 w 1 day.

mom to three sons and one new daughter born in August 2011
#10 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulhouse View Post

My baby is in that position right now and has been in it for a few days (38.1 today). She has been breech and head down, and now has settled kind of diagonal, where her head is down low on the right side and her butt is up top on the left. I didn't know it was called oblique.

She also is sometimes in the "pike position" (gymnastics, lol) like your baby. With feet up around her face, as if she were folded in half. But there is so much amniotic fluid that she can also put her legs down past fetal position and still exercise them. She's not very big, I'm hoping for 6 lbs, and she seems to still have room to move.

Last night I thought she might have engaged because when I got up from the couch where I slump every evening like a slug, I could barely walk and felt such vaginal pressure. Don't feel it today though. Can thy engage and unenegage?

I'm willing to wager yes on that. I'm pretty sure mine's at least bobbing around, if not fully engaging and disengaging. Maybe a more experienced mama could help with that, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

-Skye treehugger.gif   http://betweenthebranches.blogspot.com

Mama to Liam (08/29/11)

homebirth.jpg nak.gif femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif  cd.gif

#11 of 12 Old 08-11-2011, 05:51 PM

DS engaged and disengaged several times from 32 weeks on. We seriously thought he would come early because he kept engaging, but he made us wait finally until 40+5.

This LO is slowly moving down, so I don't think I'll have that disengaging thing this time.

So yes, it does happen.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#12 of 12 Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I definetly am experiencing the engage/disengage sensations as well.  Not sure what that means- but sure it is happening!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page