Off Topic: New kitten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just adopted the cutest little black and white female kitten, we've named her Pepper. She was a stray a friend found dumped in the rain on a busy highway. She's had her boosters and such, but has a tiny URI and ringworm in one spot that is tiny on her head. I personally don't have any concerns over this since she's on meds and such. But Any ideas if either of those things are things I SHOULD be concerned about? 
I'm 38 weeks so was hoping maybe one of you all might be a vet, vet assistant, or work at a shelter and get those sorts of questions? 
I figure so long as I wash my hands after loving on her and keep her away from the other cat(who will not mind that one bit) that she should be fine. And so should I but just wondered what others think? 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#2 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Congrats on the new little kitten. What meds is she on? She should be on two to three separate medications for the URI and the ringworm. The URI is usually easy to treat. Ringworm is the real stinker. It's not easily killed. It's pretty resistant to most disinfectants. Be very careful about petting the kitten, because you are at slightly higher risk since you're pregnant and your immune system is weaker. It generally shows up as circular patches on the skin. Wash your hands with hot water and whatever soap you're comfortable with. No soap will kill it. It's usually recommended to clean the kitten's living area with a hot water and bleach solution. Bleach isn't greatly effective against ringworm, but it's the best choice out there at the moment. Also, vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Ringworm is a fungus, not a worm, and it's spread by spores on the hairs that are shed.  The Ringworm itself is not harmful to you or the baby. I'm not sure what meds they'd give you if you got it.

Out of curiosity - how did they diagnose the ringworm? Some vets will just look at a bald patch and say, "oh yeah, that's ringworm" when it's really just a bald patch. :)

So the URI and the ringworm are not a concern for your health. Your other cat is at risk of catching either, but keep them separated until things resolve. Was Pepper de-wormed? That's the biggest worry - intestinal parasities. There are some that are transmissable to humans - roundworm, hookworm and toxoplasmosis (which is hard to transmit, but have someone else scoop litter if possible).

Good luck with the new little kitty.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Pepper was de-wormed at one of her previous visits. She's also been tested for feline lukemia(I think that's the right one) and I can't think of the other common one but she was negative for both. So once her shots are all done she should be protected till next year against at least one of those common preventable ailments and rabies. 

They did a skin culture for the bald patch to confirm the ringworm. The vet originally thought that it was just that she got in a scrap with a bigger kitty(she was a stray originally) but tested it to be safe. I'm not sure what exactly meds wise they used on her for that but I know they did some sort of a "dip" type bath. 
The cream for the eyes is Terramycin. She had a round of amoxacyllin(sp?) all ready as it was an eye infection and had only been off that for 3 days. The Vet gave her an antibiotic shot today for the URI. And the cream for the eyes. 
She still needs one round of boosters but since she wasn't feeling well they didn't want to do that today. She goes back next week for another dip and the shots if she's not running a temp or anything then. 
Personally I do not like this vet but it's who she's been seeing since she was in my MIL's care so I figured we'd just finish out treatment then transfer her to our vet. But if it sounds off let me know And I'll gladly take her to ours to get a second opinion! 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#4 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 PM

Ringworm can be killed with Selsun Blue shampoo, and also, most yeast infection creams. I had it on my neck for the majority of the pregnancy and didn't know until a couple of weeks ago, b/c I just thought it was a dark spot from the increased melanin. I asked my OB and she told me it was ringworm and told me to get the Selsun Blue, but it's like $8 and I read online that you can cure it with yeast infection cream, which was free bc I already had it. I tried just putting some on a couple times a day for like 3 days and it cleared right up.

Andrea, 22, wife to DH Chase, 27, parents to 2 wonderful dog2.gif, one cat.gif,  expecting our rainbow1284.gifstork-boy.gif, Roman, in mid-August.
#5 of 7 Old 08-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Boppin - sounds like they are doing everything right. I just wanted to make sure they cultured her before officially diagnosing the ringworm. It's good that they did. The dip - there are a few varieties -  is the most common treatment for ringworm. Occasionally, they use a different topical or an oral treatment. She should be fine with the dip treatment. Healthy kitties usually fight off the ringworm eventually, anyway. The treatment is used to reduce the spread. The URI should clear with the antibiotics. Some kitties are carriers of a herpes virus (not something humans can catch). If that's the case, they get URI symptoms throughout life, but generally don't require much treatment unless they are really sick. Usually, it's a lot of sneezing and some boogers. :-)

If you happen to get ringworm it won't be a risk to you or the baby. Selsun Blue doesn't kill ringworm. It limits it spread and relieves some of the irritation and itch that comes with it. Head and Shoulders and Denorex do the same thing. You have to let them sit on the area for about 5 minutes - and don't rub it in. If you use a yeast cream make sure it has either miconazole or clotrimazole (Monistat or Lotrimin).

Have fun with her. Kittens are evil little creatures, but so worth it. lol.gif

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#6 of 7 Old 08-10-2011, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter

:) Thanks so much for your help Mrs Mike! She's crazy but so sweet and smart. We are loving her all ready. She's all ready responding to her name after only 3 days of having one, and has learnd no very well. She's using her litterbox 100% and her scratching post, and emery cat. :) 
Now we just have to get her good and "broken in" before baby comes. lol 
And thanks for the tips on getting it under control if me or the hubs or baby do get it! 

#7 of 7 Old 08-10-2011, 03:44 PM

No problem! :-) I love kitties. I currently have 5. They are all crazy, but I don't know what I'd do without them. Their little personalities are amazing. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page