Dropping? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

OK, so everyday I get people asking me if I have "dropped" yet, or telling me that it doesn't look like the baby has dropped. Does this happen to everyone in a noticeable way? My mw says that baby's head is very low, but I still get kicked in the ribs all the time and people say that I'm carrying high. The way people make is sound is that the baby will never come until this happens. What do you all think? 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#2 of 10 Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 PM

I think that with at least half of first time moms, baby doesn't "drop" at all until IN labor.  I never dropped with DS, which basically means the head is engaged all the way.  He didn't engage until several hours into my labor (at 39 weeks).  My SIL was the same with her first...  The baby never dropped until labor for her either (40w2d).  So I wouldn't worry at all about it happening or not happening.

And FWIW, even once the baby drops, they can still kick you in the ribs.  It's not like a few inches is going to really give them (or you) any more space.  Sadly.  Oh, so sadly.

High or low means little.  People just tend to like to surmise about your body, which is annoying as hell.  Maybe they'll annoy the baby out?

If your midwife says the head is "very low," that's actually great for a first time mama.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 05:01 AM

I don't think I ever really dropped with my first either.  Her head was not engaged until right before I started pushing.  This time I feel like and look like I have dropped but it's been that way for almost 2 weeks now....so it doesnt necessarily mean anything will happen soon.  And she still most definately kicks me in the ribs, not quite as badly though.  I did get some relief on my left side where her butt isn't squished up into my ribs.

#4 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 05:11 AM

Isn't it funny how many experts on pregnancy we come across?  I think most people just like the sound of their own voice, and making judgements about your body gives them reason to hear it.

Sorry so neg.... not much sleep last night! lol  feeling a bit spunky.

#5 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 AM

On my latest belly pic on FB suddenly EVERYONE was like omg1! baby has DROPPED!  He's been engaged in my pelvis for like, a month if not longer, and he's been basically LOW the whole pg.  I think ppl just say it.  Thats said, if you're still carrying high up and baby hasn't engaged, it's possible you simply don't look as uncomfortable as a mama whose waddle has the tell-tale sign of a babys head in her crotch.  lol.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 07:18 AM

With DS I carried low the whole time and he didn't fully engage until labor. With this one I've definitely carried higher up and the head is definitely low, as it feels like my MW is going to put her hands right through my public bone when she is feeling for baby's position.

I really don't think how we look on the outside has anything to do with what is really going on in there. People just like to share their opinions with pregnant women. I think its an attempt to show they are excited/invested/interested in your pregnancy, but it can definitely be annoying.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

On my latest belly pic on FB suddenly EVERYONE was like omg1! baby has DROPPED!  He's been engaged in my pelvis for like, a month if not longer, and he's been basically LOW the whole pg.  I think ppl just say it.  Thats said, if you're still carrying high up and baby hasn't engaged, it's possible you simply don't look as uncomfortable as a mama whose waddle has the tell-tale sign of a babys head in her crotch.  lol.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif

FWIW, I've been "dropping" slowly. The baby gets a bit lower here and there, generally when I have an episode of BH ctx that are close together and pretending like they want to be the real thing. It's been hard to notice a difference in pressure since it's been a little at a time, but I can see the difference in how I'm carrying in pictures.

-Skye treehugger.gif   http://betweenthebranches.blogspot.com

Mama to Liam (08/29/11)

homebirth.jpg nak.gif femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif  cd.gif

#8 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemama579 View Post

Isn't it funny how many experts on pregnancy we come across?  I think most people just like the sound of their own voice, and making judgements about your body gives them reason to hear it.

Sorry so neg.... not much sleep last night! lol  feeling a bit spunky.

lol.gif  This is exactly how I feel!

Thanks for all your responses, everyone. For months now, I have been pep-talking myself into not feeling rushed at the end of the pregnancy and have been doing a pretty decent job of it... but it's hard when complete strangers are trying to asses my body and tell me I have LOTS of time left until baby comes. It may or may not be true, but it's really not up to them to say!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#9 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM

Mine finally has strted to drop.  I was sure he was trying to come out through my bladder last night, it was so painful.  This is number 8 for me and I've noticed that sometimes, mine drop early and sometimes they don't till I'm in labor.  I don't even tell most people the due date because then I get expert opinions from strangers about how I haven't dropped, I have dropped, I'm going to be pregnant 2 more weeks, am I sure that I shouldn't get induce...etc.

#10 of 10 Old 08-10-2011, 04:21 PM

It's so different for each woman and each pregnancy. People just love to comment. Like Baby Cakes, I posted a pic on facebook recently and was told I dropped. Nope. I've been carrying low for this entire pregnancy and that baby isn't any lower. I can feel where her head is and she's not engaged. My son engaged 4 weeks before I gave birth. It's like being dilated before labor - it's something that happens at different times for different women and essentially doesn't mean a whole lot. As long as the baby descends and you dilate in labor then you're good to go. :-)

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page