Midwife appointment today. Oh, and I'm scared poopless. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2011, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 I'm 40w2d yay! I had my midwife appointment this morning. I declined a vaginal exam to see if I'm dilated at all. She doesn't routinely do them, anyway, but I was kinda tempted to see if all of this prodromal labor has caused a lot of cervical change. I'm STILL GBS+. I am declining antibiotics in labor. The first culture for GBS came back sensitive to certain antibiotics. The second culture, after I was on penicillin, came back RESISTANT to what it was originally sensitive, too. That's not uncommon when you go on a course of antibiotics. Still, if my GBS can't decide what antibiotics it's resistant to from day to day then I'm not playing games with IV drugs and hoping they work and possibly creating more resistance. Personally, I was surprised that I'm still postive after the high dose of penicillin. That penicillin wrecked my intestines and vagina. I have no clue how anything survived in there. I am going to go the natural route for treating it. I picked up some Hibiclens today.

 

 I'm still anemic. And my hematocrit and RBC kinda suck. I was sick when we did the CBC last week and wasn't eating well. Hopefully things are climbing back up. I started taking chlorophyll today and am tempted to buy some liver - nasty - and cook it up with some bacon or something. Midwife told me to take a little extra Floradix.

 

 I'm measuring 41 weeks and she said that, per her old midwife wisdom, women who measure 41 weeks go on to have 9 lb babies. Ouch. It's okay....I'm not afraid of 9 pounds. Most of my small baby clothes aren't newborn size anyway. Everything else is fine.

 

 I'm just suddenly terrified of labor....and the fact that I'm having another baby. It's been just us and our little dude for 5 years and I guess I'm afraid of all the changes that are going to happen. I'm so afraid of not knowing how to love two kids. I know that sounds stupid.

 

 Sigh.

 

 


Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM
 
Italiamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

It's been just us and our little dude for 5 years and I guess I'm afraid of all the changes that are going to happen. I'm so afraid of not knowing how to love two kids. I know that sounds stupid.

 

I think these are really common fears for moms who are about to have a second.  At least I've heard that.  I can't speak for other moms here, but I can say that I often look at DS and wonder how my love for him will change, if it will change...  It makes me sad to think about.

 

Hugs mama.hug2.gif
 

 


Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

 

 

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Italiamom is offline  
Old 08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
 
Tamera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 452
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I measured 41 weeks at 39 weeks and I had a 9 lb baby. Surprisingly it hurt less than my 6 lb and 8 lb babies.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

Tamera is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:13 AM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

 I'm still anemic. And my hematocrit and RBC kinda suck. I was sick when we did the CBC last week and wasn't eating well. Hopefully things are climbing back up. I started taking chlorophyll today and am tempted to buy some liver - nasty - and cook it up with some bacon or something. Midwife told me to take a little extra Floradix.

 

 I'm measuring 41 weeks and she said that, per her old midwife wisdom, women who measure 41 weeks go on to have 9 lb babies. Ouch. It's okay....I'm not afraid of 9 pounds. Most of my small baby clothes aren't newborn size anyway. Everything else is fine.

 

 I'm just suddenly terrified of labor....and the fact that I'm having another baby. It's been just us and our little dude for 5 years and I guess I'm afraid of all the changes that are going to happen. I'm so afraid of not knowing how to love two kids. I know that sounds stupid.

 

 Sigh.

 

 


 

Lots of hugs all around.

 

The anemia thing kind of sucks.  I would do the chlorophyll, meat (since you eat it), double Floradix (I take 20 mg twice a day) , and lots of vitamin C.  Hopefully things get back up where they need to be.  How scary low are your numbers?

 

Your body won't grow a baby you can't birth.  Just keep repeating that to yourself.  It's going to be ok.  

 

And yes, yes.  I feel similarly.  I'm scared of doing this again!!!  But this time at least I know what to expect and can go in guns blaring.  The first time, I had no idea what I was walking into. I've heard that the way it works is your heart grows.  The love for your first is still there, but somehow you just love the new bundle as hard as you love the other.  I can't wait to see how it feels.

 

love.gif


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 AM
 
ChemistryClass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It is really true that your heart grows. I found that I had all the love I always had for my dd, and a whole new pocket of love opened up for my ds when he arrived. A mother's love is truly an amazing thing!

 

Oh, and I measured 41 weeks and had a 9+ lb baby. I measuring  just about 40 right now. I am curious to see what the size of this one will be!


Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
ChemistryClass is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you for the support, everyone.grouphug.gif I guess all of these hormones are making me super wacky. At times I'm so calm about everything and then I suddenly panic at the thought of all the changes coming our way in the next few days.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post




 

Lots of hugs all around.

 

The anemia thing kind of sucks.  I would do the chlorophyll, meat (since you eat it), double Floradix (I take 20 mg twice a day) , and lots of vitamin C.  Hopefully things get back up where they need to be.  How scary low are your numbers?

 

Your body won't grow a baby you can't birth.  Just keep repeating that to yourself.  It's going to be ok.  

 

And yes, yes.  I feel similarly.  I'm scared of doing this again!!!  But this time at least I know what to expect and can go in guns blaring.  The first time, I had no idea what I was walking into. I've heard that the way it works is your heart grows.  The love for your first is still there, but somehow you just love the new bundle as hard as you love the other.  I can't wait to see how it feels.

 

love.gif

 

My hemoglobin is 9.7. It's pretty low and she likes it in the mid 10's. My RBC is 3.5, with 3.8 being the low normal for that lab, so not too bad. Hematocrit is 29.5% and 35% is their low normal. However, my platelets are gorgeous at 305 (100-400 normal range). Three other results - MCV, MCH and MCHC - that measure hemoglobin are in the normal range. I think part of it was due to the fact that I had that nasty illness I was fighting. I wasn't eating well at all, especially since the abx were tearing my intestines apart. I am really tempted to go to work and do my own blood smear just to see what my cells look like and if things improved.
 

 

ETA - Dandelion and nettle are good for anemia, too. I'm adding dandelion tincture to my red raspberry leaf/nettle iced tea mixture. Hopefully that helps as well.

 

Also - I have heard from a lot of people that they measure 41 weeks and have 9 lb babies. Guess I'm having a chubby little pork chop.


Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

However, my platelets are gorgeous at 305 (100-400 normal range). 

 

Gorgeous indeed!!!  Wow, mama!!  Mine were low if you remember so that is awesome from where I'm standing!!

 


 

 


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post



 

Gorgeous indeed!!!  Wow, mama!!  Mine were low if you remember so that is awesome from where I'm standing!!

 


 

 

 

I am sending you platelet vibes. goodvibes.gif
 

 


Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,879
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks!  Absorbing them as I type!!  They're fine now, I'm cleared for my homebirth, but they were still only 166 -- a far cry from the 300's!!

 

 


Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Baby_Cakes is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 PM
 
douladianne's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMike View Post

I'm just suddenly terrified of labor....and the fact that I'm having another baby. It's been just us and our little dude for 5 years and I guess I'm afraid of all the changes that are going to happen. I'm so afraid of not knowing how to love two kids. I know that sounds stupid.

 

 Sigh.

 

 


You buy a pair of your favorite shoes from Nordstrom...you absolutely LOVE them! Your husband surprises you with another pair in a different color :0)
 

 

douladianne is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by douladianne View Post




You buy a pair of your favorite shoes from Nordstrom...you absolutely LOVE them! Your husband surprises you with another pair in a different color :0)
 

 


LOVE this. love.gif

 


Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 PM
 
PoetryLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I just wanted to give hugs. hug2.gifMy iron levels at 38 weeks sound amazingly similar to yours, with my hemoglobin at 9.7 and hematocrit at 30. I just found out at week 38, so a little over a week ago. I've started Floradix and my midwife had me up it to 3 doses a day of 20 ml per dose, plus Vitamin Code Raw iron @ 3 pills a day. I'm doing all I can. I have the liquid chlorophyll, but I just don't like the way it tastes and my DH picked up some nettle and alfalfa for me. Basically, I'm just doing all that I can in a very short time and hoping for the best.

 

Lots of hugs to you, mama. I'm wishing you all the best. dust.gif

PoetryLover is offline  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
MrsMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,904
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I just wanted to give hugs. hug2.gifMy iron levels at 38 weeks sound amazingly similar to yours, with my hemoglobin at 9.7 and hematocrit at 30. I just found out at week 38, so a little over a week ago. I've started Floradix and my midwife had me up it to 3 doses a day of 20 ml per dose, plus Vitamin Code Raw iron @ 3 pills a day. I'm doing all I can. I have the liquid chlorophyll, but I just don't like the way it tastes and my DH picked up some nettle and alfalfa for me. Basically, I'm just doing all that I can in a very short time and hoping for the best.

 

Lots of hugs to you, mama. I'm wishing you all the best. dust.gif

 

Thank you. All the best to you, too. I have chlorophyll pills and the liquid. The liquid is very hard for me to stomach so I've been using the pills. Nettle and alfalfa are very good for iron and good blood quality. Hope yours is boosted quickly!
 

 


Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

MrsMike is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off