I'm a mommy! UPDATE with long birth story and pics post 26 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We had our baby girl on the 9th, in the morning, after 36 hours of labor and just a few intense minutes of pushing. 3.2 kilos and 50 cm long (sorry doing this quickly between nursing and no time to make conversions). Will update later with birth story and more pictures!

DSCN0360.JPG

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 12:41 PM

Wow, what a gorgeous girl!  And she looks so serious too. :)  Congrats mama!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 08-12-2011, 12:50 PM

joy.gif  Welcome baby girl!  What a peanut!  Good job, mama -- welcome to the club!!!  Congratulations on your beautiful girl!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-12-2011, 12:52 PM

She's is precious! Congrats! joy.gif

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
Old 08-12-2011, 12:57 PM

Congrats! She's lovely!

Jenny - wife to one great guy, mama to three babies, with #4 due in January 2015!    
Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM

I love the face she's making ;) Pretty girl!

About 7 lbs, 19.7 inches :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 08-12-2011, 01:07 PM

What a cutie! Congratulations!!!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:23 PM

Awww, she's so precious! Congratulations!!! You must be so excited!! Happy baby bonding Mama!

Katie Mae belly.gifMama to DD1 08/11 and expecting stork-suprise.gif03/14
Momma to three cat.gif

Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Ooh, congratulations! She's just so lovely joy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

About 7 lbs, 19.7 inches :)

Thanks Becky! I wasn't even going to try...

Girl absolutely in love with boy and our DD (11/06), DS1 (08/11) and DS2 (brand new!)
Old 08-12-2011, 01:28 PM

She's beautiful! Congrats, mama!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
Old 08-12-2011, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
congrats!!! What a cutie! smile.gif I'm laughing because our girl finally reached 7 lbs but she's four weeks old. Weird! Can't wait for the birth story! joy.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 08-12-2011, 02:01 PM

oh my gosh!! She is darling!!!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

Beautiful!! I love her little face. Good job, Mama!

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 PM

I know I already said so on FB, but she is simply gorgeous! 

Thanks for the conversion, Becky.  My homeschooled children will be learning both systems for sure so they aren't clueless like their mother!

Jessica, wife of Marc and Momma to Nikolai (10) and Nathaniel (9) and Olivia (3).
Old 08-12-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jessica* View Post

I know I already said so on FB, but she is simply gorgeous! 

Thanks for the conversion, Becky.  My homeschooled children will be learning both systems for sure so they aren't clueless like their mother!

It's good to learn. I just used Google ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:31 PM

She's lovely! Congratulations :)

~SynEpona~
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM

Congratulations!! joy.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 PM

What a beauty! Wishing you much joy and happiness!!

Old 08-12-2011, 05:30 PM

Congratulations, and she is the most adorable baby I've ever seen.

Looking forward to more pics and details.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 PM

I was thinking of you last night when I was posting so late, wondering how you were doing on the other side of the world.  What a GORGEOUS little girl.  Those eyes are just magical.  Can't wait to hear details mama, and enjoy your time with such a lovely new little lady!  CONGRATS!!!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 PM

Congrats mama! She is adorable!!! joy.gif

Old 08-12-2011, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

She's SO cute & looks mature somehow!! lol.gif I think what I mean is she looks wise. What a dolly. 

Mommy to THREE sweet boys & ONE sweet girl + a newb due in February!  I need a nap. 
Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 PM

She is gorgeous!!!  Congratulations!  Hope you both are doing well!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:12 AM

She's very cute! COngratulations and welcome baby girl!

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Congratulations!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much everybody love.gif

Thanks Becky for the conversion :) I can do pounds and inches or I can do metric, but I can't convert between them!

So, the birth... Still processing. It was intense, but just what it needed to be I think.

I started having contractions on Sunday evening after my mom left, around 7.30. We had walked around all day and I had been having lots of BHs but in the evening they started to be painful. I didn't say anythng to anyone, DH went to bed, I tried to read, then went to bed. I couldn't sleep through them, but they weren't coming that often, maybe every 10-30 minutes or so, so I did get some sleep between them. When DH got up for work I got up and told him he should stay home today, because, though I wasn't sure how quickly it would progress, I knew this was real labor.

We started putting the baby's dresser together, got bored, and decided it could wait till later. So we went to the bookstore and had lunch out, then came home. This whole time the contractions were maybe 10-20 minutes apart, getting stronger but I could still breath through them without anybody noticing when we were out. We got home around 2 and I was ready to be home at that point. I decided we should time them so we sat and listened to music and timed them for a while. They were about 5-10 minutes apart and lasting a bit less than a minute each, and they stayed like that all afternoon. I could breath through them but they were very uncomfortable. We basically sat around and napped for the rest of the evening. Around 6 or so I wanted to call the hospital; they said take a couple tylenols, take a shower, see if the contractions continued. I knew that would have no effect because I had already taken 2 showers and the contractions continued, and I sure wasn't taking any tylenol (I have this thing that if the pain is functional I am very uncomfortable screening it out - I'll basically only take painkillers for a headache or other non-working pain). It's good they didn't tell me to come in though, because I probably wasn't very progressed at that point. My mom came over in the evening for a couple hours and helped DH to continue putting the dresser together while I laid on the couch. At that point I couldn't talk through them anymore, but they were still manageable. We had timed them in the evening too and they were still about 5-10 mins apart but now lasting over a minute each time. I remember telling my mom that it was good the hospital had told me to stay home, but I felt like I was holding labor back partially because I felt like I couldn't relax until I got where I was going to be birthing. The other part was that I knew it was just going to get more painful and I was in no hurry for that.

Eventually we decided to go to bed and I dozed between contractions until maybe 5 am, when they were getting really painful. I had to breath very strongly up to the peak, and I sometimes moaned, though the moaning didn't help and just felt like whining so I tried not to. They still weren't that close together or regular, just much stronger. Again we called the hospital and again they gave the same advice. Again I felt better that we hadn't gone in yet. I decided to try the shower and that felt really good for about 15 minutes, but then I got hot and the pitter-patter of the water on my skin started to sort of annoy me.

(just had to take a nursing break, and cry - again - because she's just so sweet and perfect)

At this point they were getting really intense and I was very tired from not getting real sleep in the past 30-something hours. I just wanted to lay down and take a nap, but the contractions hurt so much more when I was laying down that I had to pace around instead, and sometimes take breaks by leaning over the couch. I knew that I needed to have the pressure on my cervix to move things along, but it was so intense that I kept having to stop them for a few minutes by leaning over on something to take the pressure off. Every time I stood up a contraction would hit me. Eventually though I was just so tired so I decided to lay down for a few minutes. I did and had a few very painful contractions, as I knew I would, but I was just so tired... I decided it might be time to try the rice pillow I had made for labor and asked DH to start warming it up. In the meantime I took a trip to the bathroom, emptied my bowels once again, and sat through a few contractions. I had been feeling vaguely nauseous for a while and I started to feel shaky too. Then I knew it was too intense and if we didn't leave now we wouldn't make it in time. I got up, told DH to never mind the pillow and call the hospital instead, got myself dressed and crammed a bunch of random stuff in a backpack (two different blankets? lol). Leaned over a chair in the kitchen while DH called the hospital (finally they said to come in - classic transition signs, much? lol) and a taxi. At this point the contractions hit really hard, and I started having to "moo" through them - this was different from the whiny groaning I had earlier, it was deeper and I couldn't hold it back. I burst into tears. Told DH that this was what I had told him about earlier when I was describing transition to him. I was still pretty contained between contractions, I never "lost it" apart from bursting into tears for a few minutes. Finally (probably it was just a few minutes) the taxi got there and I somehow gathered myself to make it downstairs. Promptly had a very noisy contraction in the taxi. The driver was very understanding and calm and drove us to the hospital, which was about 10 minutes. Had a couple ctxs in the car and of course another one hit me as soon as I stood up out of the car. We made it upstairs to the birth ward and the midwife met us. The whole ward was dim, quiet, mellow. My mom later said it seemed more like a birth center than a hospital and it definitely was.

She led us to the birth room and I leaned over the bed. After the contraction passed I let the midwife check me. She seemed surprised when she said that I was totally open (hah, I wasn't). I then got up and leaned over the bed again, the midwife asked which position I wanted to push in and I said standing like I was. She asked if I wanted the bed raised, I did, and she also gave me pillows to lean on. DH was across from me, holding my hands and getting me water (I was insanely thirsty in between contractions). I pushed and my water broke all over the floor. Another contraction, more pushing. I roared through the pushing and bit the pillow too (tried to bite DH's finger at one point too). It was such an intense sensation. It wasn't the pain, just the incredible pressure and "throwing down" sensation. After I think 2 contractions the mw checked me again (she was kneeling behind me on the floor). I thought that would be annoying but it actually felt really good and helped me relax my vagina. She said the head was coming down and I was doing well. I pushed again and the head was at my perineum. I reached down to feel. Another push and the head was starting to crown, I felt again, laughed because it was such a weird feeling. The midwife said she was going to support my perineum and in the next great push she supported it, told me to pant, then told me to push, and the head was out and the body followed immediately. Such a huge feeling of relief. She handed the baby up to me. I was in shock. It took maybe 20 minutes from getting to the hospital and pushing my baby out.

This is where things got a little hairy. I sat down on the bed, trying to hold and turn over my slimy little baby with a short-ish cord, they wanted me to lay down, I didn't want to but they raised the back of the bed a bit and I did. She was on my chest and the other midwife helped me raise my shirt so she could be on my skin. I was rubbing her back and telling her she did so well and it wasn't so bad out here and hello baby. The mw started rubbing her feet to make her cry, which imo was totally unnecessary because she was breathing and pinking up (apgar 9) and would have been fine if left in peace. She also quickly put the baby against my thighs to count the toes and fingers and check her spine, which I felt very unnecessary at that point and bothered me but happened to quick for me to say anything. They asked if they could give the vit K shot and I said they could (I had decided for it a few days before after all) and she barely noticed. Then the mw said she'd like to give me pitocin to prevent hemorrhage and I said I'd rather wait, she was fine with that. She seemed in a hurry to get my placenta out, though it had only been a few minutes (waiting for the cord to stop pulsing to cut it is the default here, so we didn't cut it for at least 5 minutes). I felt a gush of blood and the mw said it was probably the placenta detaching, pulled on the cord and asked me to push and it came out. More relief. I said we would take it home with us and she had no issues with that either. Then my uterus wasn't contracting (could have been a mixture of the shock of everything for me, long labor, too much commotion after the birth - or just random, who knows), she recommended the pitocin and I accepted. But I was still bleeding heavily and I actually felt the blood spurting out of my vagina. Suddenly the room was full of people, someone put cold packs on my fundus and cytotec in my mouth and butt. My womb rapidly started contracting but I was still bleeding - they quickly discovered I had a tear in a vein in my cervix, that's where most of the bleeding was coming from, and it needed to be sewn up in the operating theater. Through this everyone was very calm and efficient and kept talking to me and telling me what was going on, and the baby was still on my chest. Then they moved me to a gurney and I gave the baby to DH. Through this all I felt very calm and peaceful and I knew the baby would be fine with DH, I had no worries at all. At this point I had lost over 2 liters of blood but didn't feel even woozy - I was already so out of it from the long labor and intense pushing anyway. So we got to the operating theatre and they put me under. I remember thinking if I died the baby would be fine with DH, I just had no doubts about him taking as good care of her as I ever could. I didn't think I would die though.

Then I woke up and was in the recovery room for about an hour before they took me to the post-birth ward where DH was waiting with the baby and my mom and brother. The doctor and midwife came to talk to me in turn, and the doctor explained that I just had a small tear in my cervix but it happened to be right on a vein, just bad luck. He had stitched it along with two small tears I had above and below my vagina and said it shouldn't affect future births at all. I lost almost 3 liters (like 12 cups) of blood and got a transfusion in the operating room. Despite all this I felt surprisingly good, like I had had a refreshing nap, and very peaceful. DH gave the baby to me and she nursed immediately on both sides, then fell asleep. They hadn't given her any formula while I was out and she had been skin to skin with DH for much of the time. They also had no problem with our desire not to give her a bath immediately. I was very pleased with the care overall, despite the situation with my 3rd stage and the mw being sort of aggressive then. It all turned out well and everyone was very good professionally.

We stayed in the hospital for 3 nights and were lucky enough to get a family room, just us 2 and the baby. My hemoglobin went up to 9.9 from 9.1 in just the first night, and, though I felt a bit breathless standing up for the first few days, I've felt fine pretty quickly after that. I took tylenol for a few days following the birth but when we went home I stopped and I haven't had a ton of pain, just some stinging in my stitches and obviously sore.

The baby is a miracle and makes me feel so strongly that every new precious being deserves to be cared for and listened to and of course sad that this is not the case for every baby. Also that it's such a huge tragedy when a parent can't give their child everything as I'm sure they all want to. It makes me want to "do something" about the state of the world. Right now though I am just spending hours staring at and nursing my sweet little girlie and I feel so grateful.

It felt good to type this all out. I am slowly going through it and, though I don't feel traumatized by it at all, I am definitely having to integrate the whole experience. Bits and pieces of it keep coming vividly to mind. It was just very intense. Amazing, but I can wait a while to do it again wink1.gif

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

DSCN0404.JPGDSCN0409.JPG

Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 PM

oh my goodness, what a story! And what a BEAUTIFUL little girl!!!!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

Old 08-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

What a cute baby!  I'm glad you were able to recover quickly.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

Old 08-14-2011, 03:57 PM

Congratulations!  She is so beautiful!

User Tag List