First timer question! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So when I had my little girl I tore ALOT and had major swelling. It's going down, but everything is really discolored down there. It's really pale and almost has a purple tint. Is this normal? I thought maybe the swelling messed with the blood flow and maybe that's what was going on. Idk. I just thought I'd ask. My poor lady parts are so sore. :( I can't wait until they heal!

Riley! joy.gifbelly.gifexpecting my first daughterbabyf.gif August 2011!  ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***baby.gif

#2 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 05:15 AM
pjs

My motto after birth is don't look down there! After my dd's birth I was checking everything out and was horrified! Since then, I don't look until a good 3-4 months pp!
#3 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 06:27 AM

I agree with don't look!  This is my fourth baby and my parts look normal and fine between babies.  But I have no idea what they look like immediately following a birth.  I would probably be horrified too.  Give yourself some time, it sounds like your lady parts went through a lot.  Give it a couple of months and then look again if you're ready to, I bet you will be really relieved by then. :) 

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 06:54 AM

I recommend for my clients to take several Kotex pads and generously pour witch hazel over them. Place on a cookie sheet and put in freezer until frozen...Feels great and great for healing :0)

#5 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 AM

I second the frozen pads and agree with the no looking!! I did make my OB look after DD1 because I was worried, but he said it looked they way it should for just having a baby. I hope you feel better soon, soar girly bits are frustrating when you are trying to care for your baby.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#6 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 AM

Wow, you are a brave mama!  I have never looked and never want to----not until everything's feeling really normal.  lol.gif   Take it super easy and rest, rest, rest.  Frozen pads are amazing, as is the Earth Mama Angel Baby Bottom Balm.  The peri bottle is also your friend.  Don't worry:  you will heal and everything will be in good working order soon.  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#7 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Haha, well I guess I'll just assume it's normal then. I somehow saw it right after I got my stitches done and was horrified so it actually makes me feel better to check on it now because things are very slowly getting better. I've been using ice packs and soaking in the tub. It's nice to know they don't stay like this though!

Riley! joy.gifbelly.gifexpecting my first daughterbabyf.gif August 2011!  ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***baby.gif

#8 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 11:16 AM

I had a 3rd degree tear and I tried to look but chickened out. I got hemorrhoids really bad from pushing. One thing that has been soo relieving is cutting open a disposable diaper and shoving ice into it and putting it on top of my pad. It stays cold for hours and is sooo relieving. I like the witch hazel pads and still use them but they get warm so quick where the diapers stay cold for hours.

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#9 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah those are great too. My nurse taught us how to do that at the hospital.

#10 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 11:31 AM

I've never looked too scared!

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#11 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 01:04 PM

yeahthat.gif And I would assume the discoloration is just bruising.  Same as a black eye, they turn purple/blue and then start to go greenish yellow as the heal! Hahahaha not that I won't completely freak out when its my turn...  horrors.gif

Here's to fast healing for all of us!!!!

First time mama!  belly.gif
#12 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM

I have to echo the don't look sentiments.  Now that you have, block it from your mind.  It will heal.  If you're uncomfortable, of course, witch hazel pads, use a peri bottle filled with warm water and iodine (or herbal sitz) and squirt as you pee.  It's going to be tender for awhile, mama,  Badges of honor.  hug2.gif  But it will heal and look normal again soon, promise!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#13 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 03:31 PM

I did not like the iodine that my MW gave me at all --stung too much.  I soon switched to an herbal concoction and felt much better.  Frozen pads felt like bricks to me so I tried the iced condom trick (1/2 alcohol 1/2 water)  and that worked much better.  It was soft and pliable and formed to my parts.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page