BTDT moms- sleep deprivation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Not sure if this is the bet place to post this or not - feel free to move.....

One of my biggest fears going into having our second child is coping with the sleep deprivation with a newborn.  i had a really hard time with it the first time around- and worry about being cranky with DS, keeping up with her, and keeping up a quality milk supply.  Any advice from moms who feel they did ok with the whole sleep issue?

PS- I used a co-sleeper the first time around-

#2 of 7 Old 08-18-2011, 06:22 PM

1ht

Whats your support going to be like?  If you can nap when the baby naps at least once a day, it could save ur sanity.  Weve been ok so far, DH has taken over with DD even @ bedtime, and Im really more patient and calm than i thought i would be.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 7 Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Caffeine. That is how I get through my day, seriously. I nap a couple times a week right now, say once on the weekends and then maybe one other time during the week. With my toddler, I'm just not able to unless someone is around to watch him. My 8y is responsible enough to keep an eye on him but she isn't around much and school starts next week anyway. With 4 kids in 8 years, only 1 of them sleeps through the night, I've learned to how to survive on very little sleep, and what I consider a decent night is probably someone else's nightmare! DS2 is 3 weeks old, I just can't get to bed before 10 because DD1 rarely falls asleep before then, and then I have to up before 7am, and of course many night wakings in there. I'm doing ok, or maybe I'm just so used to it, because I'm tired but functioning. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#4 of 7 Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Im hoping my daughter is at preschool for a couple of naps a week - plus i have a LOT of support from my parents and hopefully my husband :)  I think it'll be more about me relaxing enough to allow myself to lie down !

#5 of 7 Old 08-19-2011, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Caffeine. That is how I get through my day, seriously. I nap a couple times a week right now, say once on the weekends and then maybe one other time during the week. With my toddler, I'm just not able to unless someone is around to watch him. My 8y is responsible enough to keep an eye on him but she isn't around much and school starts next week anyway. With 4 kids in 8 years, only 1 of them sleeps through the night, I've learned to how to survive on very little sleep, and what I consider a decent night is probably someone else's nightmare! DS2 is 3 weeks old, I just can't get to bed before 10 because DD1 rarely falls asleep before then, and then I have to up before 7am, and of course many night wakings in there. I'm doing ok, or maybe I'm just so used to it, because I'm tired but functioning. 

LOL_ bring on the Starbucks!!

#6 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 05:15 AM

Sleep with your baby!! I didn't sleep with my first two and I was sooooo much more tired than with my last two.  I was exhausted, felt like a zombie after the first two and now I can actually say, with a two-week-old baby, I feel well-rested.  People ask how he sleeps at night, and I really don't know.  I think he only wakes a couple of times, but when you're breastfeeding and baby's right next to you, it doesn't require waking up to feed him.  I wish I would have slept with my first two, because I would have enjoyed the newborn period so much more.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#7 of 7 Old 08-20-2011, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

I did sleep with my first and really wish I had been able to sleep.  I was just too alert and not able to really fall asleep at all - this went on for about a year- on and off- my husband would take turns.  I am going to try again and hope being a 2nd time Mommy will allow me to relax more :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page