Adele's birth story, a month late! Oops! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-18-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Here I am, sorry I've been MIA for the past six weeks or so...it was a long journey!  My daughter Adele was born exactly a month ago today on July 18th, four weeks before her due date.  Her dad and I went on vacation up to a cabin in New Hampshire for a week prior to her arrival and had a VERY relaxing time floating in Lake Winnipesaukee.  The prior week I struggled to get through the days at work in a child care center, having braxton hicks contractions the whole week.  
While sitting on the beach with my DP, mom, grandma and aunt, DP and I decided on our daughters name, Adele Elizabeth---Elizabeth after me (Beth Ann), my mom (Susan Elizabeth) his mom (Debra Elizabeth), my grandma (Elizabeth Ann) HIS grandma (Elizabeth), and my GREAT grandma who is still living (Esther Elizabeth).  We also picked a boys name since we weren't sure if I was carrying a boy or girl.  

A couple days after arriving home from NH I felt "strange," was having hot flashes and very nauseous.  I began having much stronger contractions every 20 minutes and called my midwife. She advised me to relax, get in the tub, take naps, limit activity and stay at home until the contractions were 2 minutes apart---unless anything changed.  

I asked my mom to come to my house so I could sit in the tub as DP was at work.  Mom was happy to and I sat in the tub for about three hours. Later that night I began having some bloody-mucousy discharge and called the midwife again. 

We went into the hospital that night around 10pm and I began experiencing extreme back pain almost as high as my shoulder-blades. Then, I spiked a fever.  The baby was being monitored and everything looked fine, so we waited.  I was not dilating yet and began spotting even more.  My back pain continued to worsen. This went on for most of the night until the early hours of the morning.  The Midwives were concerned I may have an infection in my uterus.  My fever eventually went down but I was still contracting---and finally began dilating, but only dilated one cm.  They began to discuss a c-section since the pain in my back was still so severe that I couldn't lie down in the bed, I wanted to sit up which put pressure on the cervix and they didn't want that since I was still bleeding.  

I got up to use the bathroom, as I stood up afterward I began gushing blood.  The nurse rushed in and sat me down where I lost more blood, and was rushed back to the bed to lie down.  This being my first child, I was unsure if my water had just broken or if it was "normal" to lose blood that way.  My midwife and nurse assured me that the baby's vitals still looked very good (I could still hear her heartbeat) but the baby was coming right now.  They threw scrubs at my DP and wheeled me into the OR almost instantly.  Our baby girl was born less than 10 minutes later!  

Thankfully she was a healthy 6.5oz even though she was a month early.  She came out screaming which eased my mind!  Upon her arrival, her first bowel movement was full of blood since she had been ingesting the blood in my uterus (most likely due to my placenta tearing or rupturing which is why I had such severe pain in my back.)  So, she had to be observed and was put on an IV for a day until test results came back determining that the blood in her stools was mine rather than hers.  She did lost quite a bit of weight, she went down over the next couple of days to 5 lbs 6 oz. but is finally back to her birth weight now.  

I'm so thankful for the staff at Mt. Auburn Hospital (in Cambridge MA).  They kept me calm and informed of everything that was happening and took great care of me before, during and after my emergency c-section.  They also took exceptional care of my daughter while she was in the special care nursery.

I definitely didn't get to follow my "birth plan" of a water birth---I couldn't even labor in the water since I was losing blood, they would be unable to measure the amount of blood loss.  Thankfully I was able to labor in the tub at home the day before, and it sure did help!  So, plans changed, but I have a healthy, happy baby girl and I am so thankful!   

It's been wonderful to be a part of this due date club!  Congratulations to all of the August babies, the July babies that came early and the September babies that may show up a bit late.  Congratulations to the mamas as well!!  Take care!

Beth

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 09:12 PM

Congratulations Mama. Sounds like you were definitely in the right place for your birth, and as frightening as it must have been I am glad you and baby Adele came through it both safe and well.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 AM

Oooh, sounds like it got a little rough and scary but I'm glad you both got through okay!  I've been at Mt Auburn for a number of things, I used to live right down the road, although none of those things were baby related, that's a great hospital.  I hope your recovery goes well and continues to... enjoy your new baby!

Old 08-19-2011, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both! Yes, I also feel that I was at the right hospital. I had contemplated having a home birth at some point in my life, but after this I was very glad to be close to the hospital.  All the staff was amazing!  

Expecting first child1sttri.gif with DP in August 2011joy.gif eager to be a breastfeeding, winner.jpg baby-wearing femalesling.GIF mama! delayedvax.gif
Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM

Thanks for sharing your story. Sorry your birth didn't quite work out as planned, but it is so great to hear that despite all the medical issues it turned out so well.

Congratulations and welcome Adele! Oh, and happy one-month birthday!joy.gif

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Old 08-19-2011, 10:25 AM

Congrats! I know it can be tough when your birth plans go out the window. My little guy was born on July 18 by cesarean, which I had not expected after 4 natural births. However, he had stopped moving and we went to the hospital to get him checked on. Luckily he was alive, but still did not move and was showing obvious distress by his heart rate pattern (late decels in response to B/H contractions, no variability, no accelerations). We felt that an emergent cesarean was his best bet, since he wasn't even tolerating B/H contractions and wasn't likely to tolerate an induction. I was also pleased with my hospital care, and I was actually very pleasantly surprised by how nice the entire experience was. How are you healing up?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamamaloca View Post

Congrats! I know it can be tough when your birth plans go out the window. My little guy was born on July 18 by cesarean, which I had not expected after 4 natural births.

I was also pleased with my hospital care, and I was actually very pleasantly surprised by how nice the entire experience was. How are you healing up?

Congratulations to you as well! July 18th was a big day for both of us! Glad to hear that your little guy was ok!   I am healing well. My incision site seems to have healed well. I still have some pain above the incision and will have a sharp pain once in a while when moving certain ways.  Getting out of bed or in and out of the car can sometimes cause a little discomfort. Otherwise, I'm feeling good! How about you?

User Tag List