Allergy? Reflux? Hindmilk issue? (x posted) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-22-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I posted this in Breastfeeding Challenges, but I am wondering if any of my fellow August Mamas has any insight?  We've got greenish, mucousy poops and a fussy baby...

Thanks!!  :)

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1326660/allergy-reflux-hindmilk-issue

#1 stork-boy.gif born after IVF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 08:27 AM

The greenish poops to me signal a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I'm not completely confident in saying that's the entire issue.  To me it sounds a bit like colic, especially the bit about how he's just plain fussy in the evenings.  Does he spit up a lot?  I think spit up is more related to reflux but again, I"m not confident in that.  

I'm so happy you're able to EBF though, Maurine.  You've come such a long way and this is such a triumph!  I'm sure your LO is fine, you guys just have some (more) tinkering to do.

I would definitely cut out the dairy.  You could also try a full elimination diet and then slowly start adding things back in.  Hopefully you get a bit more advice in the BFing forum.  hug2.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

The greenish poops to me signal a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance, but I'm not completely confident in saying that's the entire issue.   

yeahthat.gif

It seems that most often, green poop is a sign that baby isn't getting hindmilk.  However, the mucous makes me think it's probably something you're eating.  I found that with my first if I ate any soy at all he would have mucous-y and sometimes bloody poops.  He also had an angry red rash on his cheeks.  The rash and strange poop seemed to clear up in a few months once I was really careful about avoiding soy, which is really hard to do because they sneak it into *everything.*  An elimination diet might be the place to start.  

So sorry, mama!  I've been there and it's no fun.  You are doing a wonderful job being his mama.  He is very, very lucky to have you!  
hug2.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

Old 08-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Maurine I had hindmilk issues with DS. Your little guy doesn't sound as bad as mine was, but mine developed lactose overload because of too much foremilk. DS's poops were not only green, but also very explosive, and he had a very bloated belly while gaining hardly any weight. He would nurse constantly and I could nurse him for an hour and 30 minutes later he was fussing to nurse again for another hour. Even though he was drinking plenty, and we had plenty of wet diapers to prove it, he looked like he wasn't getting enough milk because of his weight. I was a chronic over producer of milk though, which sounds like the opposite of your problem.

I would definitely look at what you are eating and see if there are any particular foods that show up just before the green poops & mucus. Perhaps keeping a food diary side by side with a poop diary for a week and see if there is some kind of pattern before making the drastic measure of cutting out actual food groups. It would also give you a better idea of what kind of foods you might need to cut.

Hope you find the right solution quickly.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

Old 08-22-2011, 12:25 PM

nak

I had the same issue with my DD and it ended up being a milk protein sensitivity. Once I cut out most dairy, her poops were normal.

Tamera winner.jpg - wife to Robb, mama to Aidan 1/2004, Evie 9/2009, and Augustus 8/2011

Old 08-22-2011, 12:30 PM

We had two green mucousy poops last night too so I was starting to get concerned.  I too have over supply issues so I think it was more of an imbalance issue.  I went back to block feeding and so far it's resolved itself.  We will have to see how today goes. 

Like Lynann DS is an avid feeder has more than 10 wet diapes a day and sometimes explosive poops and lots of gas which is leading me to belieive it's lactose overload vs an allergy.

I'm not totally ruling out an allergy due to the fact the DH is lactose intolerant but it doesn't seem to be the case at this point.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution quickly.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

That would be so crazy if it were oversupply for me, seeing where I came from at the beginning of all this.  He does have a ton of wet diapers (I don't even count them anymore.  He's pretty much always got a little pee in the dipe.)  But I don't leak milk at all, and he doesn't drink heartily for more than 5 min at the first letdown.  Then it's just the occasional swallow after that.

So I've cut all dairy (for the most part, I did put Smart Balance on my potato tonight which has whey in it).  I'll see if that makes a difference!  Fingers crossed...

Old 08-23-2011, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Maurine, I just wanted to add about reflux, since you were wondering about that. Before we put her on medication, Anika's symptoms for reflux were spitting up through her nose then gagging and coughing, waking up out of a sound sleep screaming in pain, arching her back and wailing, and spitting up often, especially when placed on her back. If your guy isn't showing those kinds of symptoms and he's gaining weight, then he's probably a "happy spitter." I hope you figure this out soon! blowkiss.gif

ps - whoa...we just had a small earthquake here, and for Western NY it's a big deal... Now I'll click send. winky.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 08-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

So I've cut all dairy (for the most part, I did put Smart Balance on my potato tonight which has whey in it).  I'll see if that makes a difference!  Fingers crossed...

Smart Balance Light has no dairy in it, and neither does Earth Balance.  Just an FYI!  You can usually find those anywhere.

Tear - right? that earthquake was nuts!  I thought I was going insane for a minute!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 08-23-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

>

Tear - right? that earthquake was nuts!  I thought I was going insane for a minute!!

Me too!! And I was having awful California flashbacks....(shudder)

love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Remembering our 3 losses

Old 08-24-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

Maurine, I just wanted to add about reflux, since you were wondering about that. Before we put her on medication, Anika's symptoms for reflux were spitting up through her nose then gagging and coughing, waking up out of a sound sleep screaming in pain, arching her back and wailing, and spitting up often, especially when placed on her back. If your guy isn't showing those kinds of symptoms and he's gaining weight, then he's probably a "happy spitter." I hope you figure this out soon! blowkiss.gif

ps - whoa...we just had a small earthquake here, and for Western NY it's a big deal... Now I'll click send. winky.gif

Did the medication work for you?  I hope Anika is feeling better!  He shows some of those symptoms.  We've seen spit up through the nose and he does often have a spit up when put on his back for a diaper change.  He will wake up and start crying almost immediately and does arch often when feeding.  But, none of these things is a constant.  And he's gaining weight (a lot), like 1.5 ounces a day...

Old 10-03-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Did the medication work for you?  I hope Anika is feeling better!  He shows some of those symptoms.  We've seen spit up through the nose and he does often have a spit up when put on his back for a diaper change.  He will wake up and start crying almost immediately and does arch often when feeding.  But, none of these things is a constant.  And he's gaining weight (a lot), like 1.5 ounces a day...

Maurine, I totally missed this, sorry! Anika was gaining weight through the symptoms, too, we just couldn't stand seeing her scream in pain. The medication helped a lot with this, though it just neutralizes the acid so there is still spit-up. That seems to be getting a bit better as she gets older. How are things going with your little guy? I've been wondering how you're doing!

Remembering our 3 losses

User Tag List