How many weeks would you go before scheduling an induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is copied and pasted from the overdue thread.

I'm 41 weeks today, although the hospital has my due date as the 20th, instead of the 15th, so according to them I am 40 + 2. One of the midwives gave me the option to choose which due date I wanted and I chose the later one just so I'd have a little extra time before they pressured me to induce, although I believe it's the earlier one and the 13 week ultrasound (the only ultrasound I've had done) also says the 15th. I'm not sure where the 20th came from. But even though they believe I am just over 40 weeks, they are already pressuring me to induce. It's crazy.

1) How many weeks would you go/have you gone before scheduling an induction?

2) What factors would affect/have affected your decision?

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

4) At what point would you try/have you tried to naturally induce?

5) Does anyone feel safe going to 43 weeks? Why or why not?

6) Any additional experience and/or advice?

Many, many thanks!!

#2 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wouldn't schedule an induction before I'm 42 weeks, as long as baby and I are both healthy.

Health of babe, my health. The fact that no matter how sure I am of dates, there is a possibility that they are off. I trust the baby to know when the right time is.

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

First pregnancy, so no past experience. But if I get close to 42 weeks, I think I'll try that castor oil milkshake that's been floating around the forums.

Not till late in 41 weeks or 42.

I'd likely get a NST/Ultrasound to check on the babe, but if there is nothing noticably wrong then I'd go to 43 weeks. 

Not really. I'm sorry they're talking induction with you. My MW hasn't brought it up yet, but I've got my 40 week appt this week, so she might this week. She's been really good about not being bothered by my lack of desire for interventions/tests. Hope everything works out the way you want it.

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#3 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM

I would have gone to 42 weeks but water broke at 41w5d.  Induced the next day and c-section the next day.

This time around I am going to 41w2d.

The first time I was good as long as we were both healthy.  I may have tried some more gentle inductions earlier.

This time it was as long as it seemed reasonable that I might have a VBAC.

LOL everything.  Just google and I am sure I tried it. This time I couldn't find an acupuncturist but last time I think that is what started something.

Last time at 40 weeks.

This time 37 weeks and on.

I would just be afraid in my case of it ending in a c-section no matter how much longer I waited.  I am already having a large baby and I am a rather small person.

One OBS said to just do what you want.  He scheduled a woman for an induction at 42w.  She didn't show up and gave birth a week later naturally to a 13 pound baby.  I think he was trying to say that you never know. 

#4 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM

I don't think I'd actually schedule one. I'd go in for NSTs and what-not. If baby looked like he wasn't doing well, I would then just head over to the hospital. 

If baby was in distress at all. I've had a terrible pregnancy, but I'm still willing to battle through it for baby's sake. *twitch*

I'm so tempted to try the caster oil...  I don't think there are many "effective" natural induction methods, although I would put membrane stripping into this category since the separation of the membrane from the cervical opening and surrounding area triggers hormonal reactions in our body, so it's essentially our body setting itself into motion as opposed to medication. 

I'd say around 41 weeks, I will start "natural" methods :P

Yeah. I would. Mostly because even with ultrasounds, how far along we are is just an estimate. So long as the NST come back normal and the amniotic fluid is doing its job, I don't see a reason to pull the stubborn package out.

Everyone is born with an instinct. If yours is telling you to jump for the induction, do it. If it's telling you to wait a while, then wait. If you are in doubt, I would wait.

#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM

I went 43 weeks with dd and 42+3 with ds. I went into labor naturally both times.

If baby or I were no longer tolerating the pregnancy, I would do what I needed to keep us both safe. (Induction or c-section)

Castor oil, cohoshes, nipple stimulation...all the usual suspects really. The only thing that did anything was the nip. stim.

Last time, 41 weeks. This time, I don't know if I am going to do anything in particular.

I did with dd. I think I would again as long as baby and I were both okay. That is my upper limit though. I would induce in the hospital after the beginning of the 43 week mark.

Not really. Just take it day by day. Baby will come eventually. I hope your baby comes sooner rather than later!

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#6 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
pjs

I've gone to 41w 6 twice and 42 weeks this past pregnancy. I've tried everything except acupuncture, saving castor oil for 41w5, 6 and 42 weeks. Castor oil worked with two pregnancies, but not this last one (3 separate doses!).

With each pregnancy babies have very clearly been 42 weeks- ten pounds plus, little vernix and long nails. Placenta has also had calcifications. I would not feel comfortable going past 42 weeks because at that stage, to me, the risk is greeater than the benefit. I'm not sure how fetal distress would be detected other than during an nst or listening with a Doppler. Induction at 42 weeks is different than induction at 37/38. While dates are just an estimate, I'd rather risk induction at what is really 41 weeks as opposed to what is really 43. Weeks.

Jmo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page