How many weeks would you go before scheduling an induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
PoetryLover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

This is copied and pasted from the overdue thread.

 

I'm 41 weeks today, although the hospital has my due date as the 20th, instead of the 15th, so according to them I am 40 + 2. One of the midwives gave me the option to choose which due date I wanted and I chose the later one just so I'd have a little extra time before they pressured me to induce, although I believe it's the earlier one and the 13 week ultrasound (the only ultrasound I've had done) also says the 15th. I'm not sure where the 20th came from. But even though they believe I am just over 40 weeks, they are already pressuring me to induce. It's crazy.

 

1) How many weeks would you go/have you gone before scheduling an induction?

 

2) What factors would affect/have affected your decision?

 

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

 

4) At what point would you try/have you tried to naturally induce?

 

5) Does anyone feel safe going to 43 weeks? Why or why not?

 

6) Any additional experience and/or advice?

 

Many, many thanks!!

PoetryLover is offline  
#2 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 07:32 PM
 
kylaskye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa/Nebraska
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

1) How many weeks would you go/have you gone before scheduling an induction?

 

I wouldn't schedule an induction before I'm 42 weeks, as long as baby and I are both healthy.

 

2) What factors would affect/have affected your decision?

 

Health of babe, my health. The fact that no matter how sure I am of dates, there is a possibility that they are off. I trust the baby to know when the right time is.

 

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

 

First pregnancy, so no past experience. But if I get close to 42 weeks, I think I'll try that castor oil milkshake that's been floating around the forums.

 

4) At what point would you try/have you tried to naturally induce?

 

Not till late in 41 weeks or 42.

 

5) Does anyone feel safe going to 43 weeks? Why or why not?

 

I'd likely get a NST/Ultrasound to check on the babe, but if there is nothing noticably wrong then I'd go to 43 weeks. 

 

6) Any additional experience and/or advice?

 

Not really. I'm sorry they're talking induction with you. My MW hasn't brought it up yet, but I've got my 40 week appt this week, so she might this week. She's been really good about not being bothered by my lack of desire for interventions/tests. Hope everything works out the way you want it.


-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)
      
kylaskye is offline  
#3 of 6 Old 08-22-2011, 09:26 PM
 
JoyFilled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 453
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

1) How many weeks would you go/have you gone before scheduling an induction?

 

I would have gone to 42 weeks but water broke at 41w5d.  Induced the next day and c-section the next day.

 

This time around I am going to 41w2d.

 

2) What factors would affect/have affected your decision?

 

The first time I was good as long as we were both healthy.  I may have tried some more gentle inductions earlier.

This time it was as long as it seemed reasonable that I might have a VBAC.

 

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

 

LOL everything.  Just google and I am sure I tried it. This time I couldn't find an acupuncturist but last time I think that is what started something.

 

4) At what point would you try/have you tried to naturally induce?

 

Last time at 40 weeks.

This time 37 weeks and on.

 

5) Does anyone feel safe going to 43 weeks? Why or why not?

 

I would just be afraid in my case of it ending in a c-section no matter how much longer I waited.  I am already having a large baby and I am a rather small person.

 

6) Any additional experience and/or advice?

 

One OBS said to just do what you want.  He scheduled a woman for an induction at 42w.  She didn't show up and gave birth a week later naturally to a 13 pound baby.  I think he was trying to say that you never know. 

JoyFilled is offline  
#4 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM
 
nursejoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

1) How many weeks would you go/have you gone before scheduling an induction?

 

I don't think I'd actually schedule one. I'd go in for NSTs and what-not. If baby looked like he wasn't doing well, I would then just head over to the hospital. 

 

2) What factors would affect/have affected your decision?

 

If baby was in distress at all. I've had a terrible pregnancy, but I'm still willing to battle through it for baby's sake. *twitch*

 

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

 

I'm so tempted to try the caster oil...  I don't think there are many "effective" natural induction methods, although I would put membrane stripping into this category since the separation of the membrane from the cervical opening and surrounding area triggers hormonal reactions in our body, so it's essentially our body setting itself into motion as opposed to medication. 

 

4) At what point would you try/have you tried to naturally induce?

 

I'd say around 41 weeks, I will start "natural" methods :P

 

5) Does anyone feel safe going to 43 weeks? Why or why not?

 

Yeah. I would. Mostly because even with ultrasounds, how far along we are is just an estimate. So long as the NST come back normal and the amniotic fluid is doing its job, I don't see a reason to pull the stubborn package out.

 

6) Any additional experience and/or advice?

 

Everyone is born with an instinct. If yours is telling you to jump for the induction, do it. If it's telling you to wait a while, then wait. If you are in doubt, I would wait.

nursejoc is offline  
#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 06:55 AM
 
ChemistryClass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

1) How many weeks would you go/have you gone before scheduling an induction?

 

I went 43 weeks with dd and 42+3 with ds. I went into labor naturally both times.

 

2) What factors would affect/have affected your decision?

 

If baby or I were no longer tolerating the pregnancy, I would do what I needed to keep us both safe. (Induction or c-section)

 

3) What natural induction methods will you try/have you tried and of those methods, which were the most effective?

 

Castor oil, cohoshes, nipple stimulation...all the usual suspects really. The only thing that did anything was the nip. stim.

 

4) At what point would you try/have you tried to naturally induce?

 

Last time, 41 weeks. This time, I don't know if I am going to do anything in particular.

 

5) Does anyone feel safe going to 43 weeks? Why or why not?

 

I did with dd. I think I would again as long as baby and I were both okay. That is my upper limit though. I would induce in the hospital after the beginning of the 43 week mark.

 

6) Any additional experience and/or advice?

 

Not really. Just take it day by day. Baby will come eventually. I hope your baby comes sooner rather than later!


Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
ChemistryClass is offline  
#6 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM
pjs
 
pjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've gone to 41w 6 twice and 42 weeks this past pregnancy. I've tried everything except acupuncture, saving castor oil for 41w5, 6 and 42 weeks. Castor oil worked with two pregnancies, but not this last one (3 separate doses!).

With each pregnancy babies have very clearly been 42 weeks- ten pounds plus, little vernix and long nails. Placenta has also had calcifications. I would not feel comfortable going past 42 weeks because at that stage, to me, the risk is greeater than the benefit. I'm not sure how fetal distress would be detected other than during an nst or listening with a Doppler. Induction at 42 weeks is different than induction at 37/38. While dates are just an estimate, I'd rather risk induction at what is really 41 weeks as opposed to what is really 43. Weeks.

Jmo.
pjs is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off