Advice about homebirth/induction/dates - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I post sometimes and lurk a lot so I thought I'd ask your advice.  I've posted before about my wonky dates but here they are:  based on LMP, 8/11, based on early US, 8/30 and based on gender US, 8/21.  So we were going by the 11th, where I've been measuring the whole time.  According to that I am now overdue and have until the 25th to be in progressive labor (due to my state's laws).  The midwife is not comfortable with the early US because it was an inexperienced midwife on a new machine and the dates don't add up to when she heard the hb, Jan 4.  All this is complicated by the fact that I've been having lots of prodromal labor with little progress, I'm at 2cm dilated, not effaced much and my cervix is very posterior.  So we've been trying: homeopathic caulophyllum and cimicifugia, breast pump, sex, and walking.  She talked to an OB that she's worked with before and he recommends breaking my water, which she can't do at this time because of my cervix, and if nothing happens by the 25th, doing a NST.  If that is ok, he will ok me to continue for a few more days, presumably in my midwife's care but I need to double check that.  If nothing by next Tuesday, then I need to transfer to his care and go the hospital/induction route.  Any advice?  Previous experience?  Also, she reluctantly recommended castor oil.  I'm thinking of half a dose, any advice/thoughts there?  Sorry it's so wordy!  Oh, and insult to injury, I don't have health insurance...

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."
#2 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 07:00 AM

No matter what date they're using for your EDD, I don't recommend breaking your water without being in active labor. Your baby's head needs that cushion of water, not to mention for most hospitals and OB's, the clock begins ticking at that point. If you use the middle EDD of 8/21, then Sept. 4th would be 42 weeks. If they're letting you go until August 30th before transferring you to OB care, I'd try a couple other things that aren't on your list. You haven't mentioned if your midwife has done a sweeping of membranes. This could be beneficial being 2cm dilated. You said your midwife reluctantly mentioned castor oil. I would only do the shake...don't drink castor oil straight. Let me know if you're interested in the recipe. If you find yourself needing to be induced, I'd ask about a Cook or foley catheter. I have had two clients have great success with them recently. It will usually dilate you to 4-5cm and kick you into labor without the use of a Pitocin induction. Take care and I'll be thinking of you!

#3 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Everything I've heard about castor oil says you have to use the whole dose or  it won't work. It will just give you the runs. If she suggested it take the whole dose. 
Other than that I think douladianne said what I would have! 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

#4 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douladianne View Post

No matter what date they're using for your EDD, I don't recommend breaking your water without being in active labor. Your baby's head needs that cushion of water, not to mention for most hospitals and OB's, the clock begins ticking at that point. If you use the middle EDD of 8/21, then Sept. 4th would be 42 weeks. If they're letting you go until August 30th before transferring you to OB care, I'd try a couple other things that aren't on your list. You haven't mentioned if your midwife has done a sweeping of membranes. This could be beneficial being 2cm dilated. You said your midwife reluctantly mentioned castor oil. I would only do the shake...don't drink castor oil straight. Let me know if you're interested in the recipe. If you find yourself needing to be induced, I'd ask about a Cook or foley catheter. I have had two clients have great success with them recently. It will usually dilate you to 4-5cm and kick you into labor without the use of a Pitocin induction. Take care and I'll be thinking of you!

Im personally very interested in the shake recipe, if you are willing to share :)

#5 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 01:47 PM

Castor Oil Shake Recipe: 2 cups ice cream, 2 oz castor oil and 1 egg. Blend with enough milk to thin. Drink all within 30 minutes. The egg binds the castor oil to the fat in the ice cream which allows it to stick in your stomach and intestines instead of ripping right through you. It is most successful if you are at least dilated to 2cm and 50% effaced.

#6 of 6 Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM

DDCC here- I went late with my 6th just last month and after a few days of being late sought acupuncture induction- I was 75% effaced and just 1 cent at most dilated. I was also using caulli/cimicifuga and gelsemium. Nipple stimulation, sex, EPO oil etc; the days were passing and each day I grew closer to not having my midwife attend me (which for me was bad as I had only had homebirths)  and she said if I didn't start labor I should try castor oil which I wasn't to keen on doing so I switched acupuncturists and went in daily on days 7,8 and 9 past due. On day 10 past due I went to see her again as I woke up with regular braxton hicks. I left her office at 11:30 AM and at around 1:00 PM started having mild surges and continued taking homeopathic caulli/cimicifuga. My son was born at 2:10 PM just 5 minutes after my midwife arrived at my home. Super easy labor/birth as I didn't even know when transition hit and my body just took over to push and that's when midwife arrived (just in time to catch him).

I agree with no inducing via breaking bag- not only is it super dangerous but it makes for a rougher labor. Over 20 years ago I wasn't as educated and I went 10 days overdue with twins and allowed my midwife to break my water- luckily all was fine and my twins were born 4 hours later but things don't always go that smoothly.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page