First Post Partum Period Poll - Mothering Forums
View Poll Results: If you breastfed your previous baby(ies), when did your get your first post partum period?
Under two months 8 100.00%
2-6 months 5 100.00%
6 months to a year 7 100.00%
more than a year 12 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So my doctor thinks I may be getting my first period. Yeah....at 5 1/2 weeks....SERIOUSLY?! My bleeding trickled down to pretty much brown spotting until a couple days ago when it turned bright red, then got heavier and turned dark red. It's like a light period now. funny thing is a week or two ago I remember my ovaries feeling twitchy. My doc's not worried about it. She said a period would be really unlikely, but given my history all bets are off. Given that I had a c-section, is this normal? ugh...

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#2 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

With DD I did not get my first post-partum until DD was about 18 months old.  I EBF DD, did not do any pumping (I was a SAHM) except to relieve some engorgement, co-slept and generally spent all of my time with her.  We'll see with DS when I get my first PP period.  I will be working part-time, so I will be doing some pumping and likely spending longer stretches of time away from DS than I did with DD.

This is, of course, different for everyone.  Two of the ladies in my birthing class both got their first periods at about 3 months PP. 

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#3 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM

With dd1 I got my first post partum period on her 1st birthday.  She was breastfeed and rarely received bottles.

With ds1, I got it back in a matter of weeks...but I was mostly pumping that time and not breastfeeding often at all.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#4 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM

I got my period 4 months post partum with DS. I was co-sleeping, babywearing,  EBF and pumping. DS slept for 5+ hour stretches at night since birth, which I believe is a factor. I think if they tend to go for more than 4 to 6 hours without nursing on a regular basis you have a higher chance of your PP period returning earlier. I'm hoping for more of a delay this time, but DD has the same sleep habits as DS.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#5 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 05:37 PM

I had a c-section with my first and I never got my period before I got pregnant when my first child was 18 months.

#6 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM

I don't remember with the first one, but with the second one... six weeks to the day. shake.gif

She was EBF for six months. I was cheated.

I hope I don't get a repeat this time around, however it doesn't really matter... I am scheduling the Adiana procedure at my six week follow-up appointment with my midwife.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#7 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 PM

I think I got my first period postpartum with DS #1 at about 10 months---exclusively breastfed, but he must have been eating enough solids to let me ovulate.  With DS #2 I think it was closer to a year before I saw AF again.  

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#8 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 08:48 PM

DD1 it was almost exactly 8 weeks. We co-slept, EBF all the good stuff, but I did use nipple shields for about three weeks in the beginning.

DD2 it was 6 months, we did not co-sleep and she slept longer chunks at night, no nipple shields.

Both of them took pacifiers.

I use Creighton and start charting at 6 weeks regardless, so it does not really matter much to me when it returns. It is almost easier when it comes back.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#9 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 PM

8.5 months, 6.5months, 6 month. smile.gif

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#10 of 19 Old 08-25-2011, 11:52 PM

DD1- Induced AF back at 2.5y 

DD2- Returned at 18m

DS1- Returned at 8m.

One year earlier each time!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 19 Old 08-26-2011, 05:56 AM

I think any bleeding that soon is still considered lochia, isn't it?  Even if it starts and stops?  I suppose it's possible that it's a cycle, but I just highly doubt it.  Idk I can't find anything online to support that but I just remember reading it after my last pg.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#12 of 19 Old 09-23-2011, 08:44 AM

I got my first post partum period at five weeks this time. irked.gif Not breastfeeding blows.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#13 of 19 Old 09-23-2011, 10:18 PM

6 weeks this time. 6 muthaforking weeks. 6 damn weeks. My lochia had just trickled to almost nothing. The bleeding stopped weeks ago, but I still had that yellowish d/c that you can get at the end. Slow enough that I wasn't wearing any pantyliners. I woke up this morning and just felt like I was going to get my period. No cramps. Just a feeling. And the bitch came a few hours later. I'm pissed. I EBF, co-sleep, wear the baby, take a natural progesterone supplement (prevents ppd), take placenta capsules, don't use pacis. She sleeps 6 hour stretches, though. Maybe I'm wrong and it's some freak lochia bleeding, but I doubt it. Maybe it'll go away for a year after this.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#14 of 19 Old 09-24-2011, 04:59 AM

I got mine back at 7 weeks with both of my older kids. They slept long stretches at night from birth, as does DD2. I am expecting my first pp period in 5 weeks or so. eyesroll.gif

Jen, music nerd mama to two kiddos with one more on the way in August 2011!
#15 of 19 Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 AM

I thought mine came back at 5 weeks with this one but I Dr. Google says a "6 week bleed" is normal in bfing mothers... so Idk what to think. Guess ill see in a few weeks. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?30389-quot-6-week-bleed-quot-in-nursing-moms

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#16 of 19 Old 09-25-2011, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastrickland View Post

I thought mine came back at 5 weeks with this one but I Dr. Google says a "6 week bleed" is normal in bfing mothers... so Idk what to think. Guess ill see in a few weeks. http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?30389-quot-6-week-bleed-quot-in-nursing-moms

Hmm, interesting! I had a period-like 2-week bleed starting at around 5 1/2 weeks. Now four weeks later I've been having spotting and cramping for almost a week like I'm getting my period, but no go yet. It would be nice if it was just a 6-week bleed. DH and I were REALLY looking forward to being able to BD with impunity with the hope that one day in several months I would wake up nauseous and realize we caught the first egg without knowing it. We are both so traumatized by over 2 1/2 years of TTC that I just don't want my period back yet; I don't want to go there, because I KNOW my brain will be noticing fertility signs without me being able to help it We need time to reclaim our sexuality together without TTC being on our mind. It hurts my heart already to think about having to go through it again. greensad.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#17 of 19 Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisastrickland View Post

Thanks for sharing that. Very interesting. My bleeding was here for a day. Stopped all day yesterday and then resumed this afternoon. So weird.

#18 of 19 Old 09-26-2011, 07:11 AM

I came on here to ask the very same question.  I'm 7 weeks postpartum and my lochia had pretty much stopped.  I was just having a little brown discharge here and there.  But yesterday I started bleeding bright red blood again!  And it's not that light, it's like when I have my period.  I'm wondering if it's my period or I'm just getting lochia again.  It's very annoying!  I EBF but Emily has been sleeping through the night for a few weeks now, so I guess it's possible to have my period back already.  It's NEVER happened before!  I usually don't get it back for a leasy a year!  If it doesn't stop or at least slow down by tomorrow I guess I'll call my midwife.  I was just there for my 6 week check on the 21st and all was well!  Ugh!

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#19 of 19 Old 10-04-2011, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

So my doctor thinks I may be getting my first period. Yeah....at 5 1/2 weeks....SERIOUSLY?! My bleeding trickled down to pretty much brown spotting until a couple days ago when it turned bright red, then got heavier and turned dark red. It's like a light period now. funny thing is a week or two ago I remember my ovaries feeling twitchy. My doc's not worried about it. She said a period would be really unlikely, but given my history all bets are off. Given that I had a c-section, is this normal? ugh...

You know my doc said the same thing and I was shocked.  She said this because my bleeding stopped and then I had premenstrual cramps and back pain and then had period like bleeding that lasted for 5 days then stopped.  This happened at around 32 days post partum so she says expect a period next month around the same time....we will see unless the breastfeeding stops my period which happened with some of my kids.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page