Post Pregnancy Exercise Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 55 Old 09-01-2011, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Everyone is doing so well!  Keep up the good work, ladies!

I walked 30 min yesterday, and it was more of a normal pace.  It was my 4th walk, and my longest.  I've been trying to go every other day-ish.  My pain was a little worse in the evening, which kind of bummed me out -- I'm sick of feeling so limited!  But I have to remember that I'm only 3 weeks out from surgery.  I want to get out for another walk today, but I think I may take it a little easier. 

It's amazing what getting outside and getting moving does for my mood!  DH and I were blessed to get pregnant on our first try with Will, and I'm SO happy I planned to have a summer baby this time.  Being freshly postpartum in the middle of the winter was a major bummer last time!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#32 of 55 Old 09-01-2011, 09:56 AM

We're going to start our nightly 1mi walks with the whole fam and two of the dogs next week! REALLY excited as I haven't been able to do it at ALL this year. It's a special time for us, and I'm sure it'll help burn the calories. I'm only down about 15lbs since birth, which is pretty typical of me. I retain craploads of water when nursing.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#33 of 55 Old 09-01-2011, 10:10 AM

I went for my 2 week check up yesterday and they said they would prefer I wait until one month to really do much... humph... I can see their point and I do not want to exhaust myself when I have three kids to take care of, but I really miss working out! So I guess I have 1.5 weeks, and then I am going to start walking more. For now I am mostly just doing some stretches and a little core stuff.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#34 of 55 Old 09-01-2011, 04:51 PM

feels SOO great to not be lugging around the pregnant belly that im dying to get out there and MOVE.  Slowly increasing walking time but feeling I have to hold myself back.  Bleeding is almost gone but i know i should conserve energy and heal.. 

#35 of 55 Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM

I'm 2 weeks + 5 days pp. I weighed myself and I'm only 5 pounds past my pre-pregnancy weight! I want to loose a little more than that, but I'm confident. I went on our first stroller walk today with a friend and I didn't start bleeding! :) 

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#36 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 09:27 AM

I'm still 168-169.  BLAH.  I cannot WAIT to get some real exercise!!  It's driving me mad.  Every so often I'm still spotting, so I really do not want to push it.  But, damn, I really want to get rid of this weight!!  Even if I could just lose 10-15 lbs to get to a normal size, it would make me happy.  I'm feeling so grumpy not fitting in ANY normal sizes and only wearing workout clothes and maternity clothes.  irked.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#37 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 10:13 AM

My swelling FINALLY went away a couple days ago. I dropped 15 lbs in less than two days. I've lost another 5 lbs since, so now I'm only about 20 lbs from my prepregnancy weight. Ideally I'd like to be a little below that, so I'm aiming to loose 30 lbs. It finally cooled down enough to make it bareable to walk outside, but I'm still a little sore from the surgery and the 3 flights of stairs I have to walk up to get back to my apt don't help, so I'll probably hold off on the long walks for at least another week or two.

Great job to all you mamas already up and moving!

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#38 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 12:06 PM

I've only weighed myself once after baby and I was at 225 - When I got pregnant, I weighed 232. So I'm smaller than before! It feels weird. I think I sweated out a few gallons last night, though, so no idea where I might be today.

I try to go for little walks every day.  My hips are hurting, so I can't walk a ton, but it does feel nice before it hurts :) Really want to get back to dancing, that will help my back.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#39 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Good job to everyone who is starting to get active again! I know for me, moving around more is starting to help with the post pregnancy aches and pains I was having.

I've been doing the shred 3-4 times a week for 2 weeks now and I'm only down 1-2lbs but my body is starting to look more fit, and my endurance is way up, so I'm stoked! I just hope I will start loosing weight again. I think I sabotaged myself because our grocery store had cookie dough ice cream on sale last week :P

#40 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 01:17 PM

My BFF had a c/s exactly a month before me, so her baby is 8 weeks old.  The other day I asked how long we have to wait to exercise for real, and she said she was told 6 weeks for cardio like swimming/eliptical, 12 weeks for running (!), and 4 MONTHS for weights/ abs!!!  WHAT!!  So, I've cut back on the crunches, and am accepting that I have a lot of walking in my near future :/.  I have to admit, my abdomen and incision are still a little sore, but I am having a really hard time listening to my body on this one. 

We'll get there, girls.  We'll be wearing cute (but nursing-friendly wink1.gif) clothes next summer fo sho.

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#41 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

I think I sabotaged myself because our grocery store had cookie dough ice cream on sale last week :P

I bought (and therefore ate) Triple Double Oreos the other day.  It's so hard to get out of that preggo mindset!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

We'll get there, girls.  We'll be wearing cute (but nursing-friendly wink1.gif) clothes next summer fo sho.

Word!! 

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#42 of 55 Old 09-06-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

My BFF had a c/s exactly a month before me, so her baby is 8 weeks old.  The other day I asked how long we have to wait to exercise for real, and she said she was told 6 weeks for cardio like swimming/eliptical, 12 weeks for running (!), and 4 MONTHS for weights/ abs!!!  WHAT!!  So, I've cut back on the crunches, and am accepting that I have a lot of walking in my near future :/.  I have to admit, my abdomen and incision are still a little sore, but I am having a really hard time listening to my body on this one. 

When I read that you were doing ab work I just looked at your post in horror and couldn't comment. Even the thought!!

That being said, I desperately want to get back to belly dancing and sneak in bits ;) We need a strong belly to haul these little monsters around!! :)

Becky

Married to Dusty

#43 of 55 Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 AM

We finally have cooler weather, so yesterday was the first time we went for a walk. It was just under a mile and slowish, but I did it! And thankfully (and finally), the scale moved down a bit. joy.gif

I'd like to say we'll be going out again today, but Ada had such a crappy night, I'd rather nap. eyesroll.gif I'm thinking of tracking my intake to see if something I am eating or drinking is bothering her. It will also keep me on the path of not eating junk. eat.gif

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#44 of 55 Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 AM

So Kya is 1 month old now, and today will be my first full exercise class. I will be doing zumba this afternoon. I am so looking forward to it my only concern is what to wear to support these boobs that have grown 2 cup sizes.

#45 of 55 Old 09-07-2011, 01:43 PM

2 week appt- MUST wait 6 weeks to run or bike- ok, ok , ok

#46 of 55 Old 09-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

When I read that you were doing ab work I just looked at your post in horror and couldn't comment. Even the thought!!

That being said, I desperately want to get back to belly dancing and sneak in bits ;) We need a strong belly to haul these little monsters around!! :)

Same! It hurt me to think!

I was 169 when I gave birth, 117 when I got pregnant. This morning I was at 142. I have been walking every night, pushing my double jogger. I'm at 1 1/2 miles right now and a little frustrated because I want to go farther, but I am afraid the baby will wake up and I will be too far from home. He's fine in the stroller if he is asleep when I put him in there, but if he wakes up...yikes!

I am also doing pilates (arms, legs/butt, and starting on my back). It feels SO good to be able to exercise again! I wasn't allowed to the whole pregnancy and as a formerly very active girl, I was having a hard time!

#47 of 55 Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 PM

walking one hour a day and trying not to do more - hope i can be 'good' and not overdo it this time!!!

#48 of 55 Old 09-08-2011, 07:06 PM

For those of you with experience and knowledge - whats the best way to tighten my tummy?

I gained about 35 lbs over all before birth, then gained a few more after birth b/c of all the IV fluids. I've lost 20 lbs now without doing anything but the scale hasn't budged in a couple days so I think I'm going to have to work to get the remaining 15-20 lbs off. I have maybe 5 lbs I gained on my lower half, the rest is all in my stomach. Its not really even fat just kind of saggy,hanging, loose, nasty looking skin. Its so loose I have a hard time imagining it'll ever look good again. I can't do much now b/c I'm still healing from the csection, but once I'm healed I'd like to have some idea of the best way to tackle my tummy.

#49 of 55 Old 09-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

For those of you with experience and knowledge - whats the best way to tighten my tummy?

I gained about 35 lbs over all before birth, then gained a few more after birth b/c of all the IV fluids. I've lost 20 lbs now without doing anything but the scale hasn't budged in a couple days so I think I'm going to have to work to get the remaining 15-20 lbs off. I have maybe 5 lbs I gained on my lower half, the rest is all in my stomach. Its not really even fat just kind of saggy,hanging, loose, nasty looking skin. Its so loose I have a hard time imagining it'll ever look good again. I can't do much now b/c I'm still healing from the csection, but once I'm healed I'd like to have some idea of the best way to tackle my tummy.

First you wait and heal. Mine's already slowly tightening a bit on its own. It takes time. And then.. someone else will tell you, I have no idea ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty

#50 of 55 Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

First you wait and heal. Mine's already slowly tightening a bit on its own. It takes time. And then.. someone else will tell you, I have no idea wink1.gif

oh yea, I'm definitely waiting a bit. I don't mind relaxing a couple more weeks. DH leaves in October and I won't see him again til December- I would like to be looking halfway decent and comfortable in my own body again, of course at that point he won't have had anything in so long, he probably won't care what I look like.

#51 of 55 Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 PM

walked about two miles today with the fam. Felt SO good, and once the heat is gone we'll be doing it nightly! It's our favorite time of day, and last fall we went on a walk every evening. We look crazy though because we push two strollers (one a double) and have at least one that walks lol!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#52 of 55 Old 09-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

oh yea, I'm definitely waiting a bit. I don't mind relaxing a couple more weeks. DH leaves in October and I won't see him again til December- I would like to be looking halfway decent and comfortable in my own body again, of course at that point he won't have had anything in so long, he probably won't care what I look like.

Hehe, quite!

My friend's husband is in the military and she used to make sure to tell the women whose husbands were doing the first tour - plan all the romance you want for when he gets back, but it's not lasting 30 seconds and will have to build up to longer over time ;)

I've massaged a lot of bellies. You can do things - diet, exercise, ect - but more important is to look to your mother (if your body is like hers). Most of the "bounce-back" is genetic. Some women still have the lose skin forever.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#53 of 55 Old 09-13-2011, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I went on a reasonable walk with DH and both sons a couple days ago, not as far as we used to walk by any means. Still, it was good to get out into the sunshine for a bit. 

Today I did a 15 minute session from Erin O'Brien's Postnatal Rescue. I did Progression  1 of 3. It was fairly easy and it felt good to be doing something. I might do Progression 1 one more time before moving up to Progression 2. It's supposed to prepare the body/muscles for exercising again.

I have my eye on some core strengthening workout DVDs though. I hope to order them in a few weeks.

I tried on my "in between" clothes and I couldn't button them. I have to remind myself that I am only 2 weeks postpartum and last time I was at least 2 months out before I fit into them. So it's maternity clothes for just a bit longer. I do have some shirts that were normal shirts I bought in larger sizes to wear when I was pregnant and I can still wear those.

As for weight, the week before I gave birth I was at 158 and today I weighed 136.8, which is the lowest my scale has hit since having the baby. I'm on a mission to get down to 117-120, more than I weighed when becoming pregnant but a healthier weight for me.

How is everyone else doing?

#54 of 55 Old 09-13-2011, 03:58 PM

PL - yes, give yourself more than 2 weeks!!  I'm 4 weeks out today, and I think at 1 mo pp last time I was still in mat or at least in stretchy stuff.  I didn't buy size 14 jeans until 3 mo pp.  I'm struggling with the same issues though, feeling impatient and upset that my "fat clothes" don't fit yet.

Yesterday I did 1.6 mi wearing Finn and took Nora to the park.  Today, well, my gps wasn't working on my phone but I think we did about a mile, again with me wearing the baby.  It's a helluva workout wearing the kiddo!

#55 of 55 Old 09-13-2011, 05:10 PM

I want to go for walks or runs since the weather has been so nice I just really don't feel safe in the neighborhood I live in. I live right off of a busy street and there arent any sidewalks on this side of town. It wouldn't be a problem normally, but I don't want to risk anything while carrying my baby, y'know?

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page