Post Pregnancy Exercise Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I hope it's not too soon to start this thread! There were of few of us who seemed interested in the mamas with babies thread.

I've already lost 23lbs, and am 8lbs above my pre pregnancy weight, but I want to loose an additional 15-20lbs that I was trying to loose before getting pregnant, I also just need to get my fitness level back to what is was before I go back to teaching yoga in October!

So today I am 4 weeks +1 day pp and I did my first real work out. I have the Jillian Micheals 30 day shred dvd, so I did level 1 today. It's a 20 min workout that has strength + cardio + abs, and I really like it. Man did it kick my butt though! I haven't done any kind of jumping around for at least 8 months, so when I did the first few jumping jacks I got sooo dizy. lol.

I feel really good about getting a nice workout in, and i'm excited to get back in shape

#2 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 11:57 AM

Subbing!!

I'm only 10 days pp, so I'm not ready to work out yet but I soooo want to.

Anyone know what I CAN do before actually getting into a real routine?  

I've so far lost 18 lbs but still have 31 to go to get to pre-preg weight, and ideally I'd like to lose 10 more than that. So.  I've got my work cut out for me for sure!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 12:07 PM

I'm down about 14, and have been doing kegels a ton. I have to get my prolapse in order before I can do much exercise, although walking has been approved. I can't even lift the car seat till at least 6weeks pp!

But I've started adding more walking when i can. We've had appts three times this week so I add in an extra stop at the store and do some light walking around. It feels great to move!

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#4 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I'm still waiting to have my baby. But I'm wondering how long you ladies are waiting before starting an exercise routine? My midwife last time didn't want me to do any type of exercising until 6 weeks postpartum and I was wondering if there is a reason to wait that long.

This is a thread that I can't wait to really join Thanks for starting it.

#5 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 12:12 PM

I've been wondering what types of things I can do post c-section. My normal exercise is belly dancing but that doesn't seem like something I should do for another month when I'm healed.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#6 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

So today I am 4 weeks +1 day pp and I did my first real work out. I have the Jillian Micheals 30 day shred dvd, so I did level 1 today. It's a 20 min workout that has strength + cardio + abs, and I really like it. Man did it kick my butt though! I haven't done any kind of jumping around for at least 8 months, so when I did the first few jumping jacks I got sooo dizy. lol.

I feel really good about getting a nice workout in, and i'm excited to get back in shape

Oh me too..4 weeks+1 day pp and I've that dvd too. It's impressive you've already started to follow that video. I can't imagine right now. I was planning on asking my doc at 6 weeks pp appt (on sept 20th)..and then start something. Right now, I feel with all the work I'm doing handling the baby it's already enough! And it makes me dizzy already...

belly.gif heartbeat.gif   computergeek2.gif  
#7 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I would LOVE to exercise, I just don't see how that is going to happen unless someone takes all 4 of my kids. eyesroll.gif With my first I was doing light workout videos by 2 weeks PP, I just did it slowly. The 30 Day Shred it what I did last time to get back in shape but #3 didn't scream like this baby does. I think I started at 3-4 weeks with that. I do spend hours a day bouncing and walking a baby around, but that doesn't seem to be doing much for my love handles. For now I guess I'll just live through those of you that are exercising! 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#8 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Thanks for starting this!!

I'm 2w1d post partum and have started doing some crunches.  I think I started at around 10 days post partum, and I started with 20, so I'm going very very slowly, lol!  I'm up to 75 crunches/day right now, but feel like I could start doing them twice per day.  I took a walk the other day, but my pain was way worse that evening, so I haven't gone again.  I'm thinking I'll try maybe 15 or 20 minutes tomorrow.  I was in the best shape of my life when I got pregnant (running and yoga), and I really can't wait to get back to it.  I don't think I'll be able to run for some time, but I just want to feel like I'm getting moving, kwim? 

I gained around 35-37 pounds, and I think I have about 10 to go.  I haven't weighed myself since Sunday, and I had about 12 to go that day.  Today I'm wearing a prepreg jean skirt, though, and loving it!!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#9 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

I just waited to start actually exercising until my bleeding was done. I was down to panty liners last week and this week I am all clear! Also, I just felt ready to start again, since I have been getting a little more sleep and have more energy.

Quote:

Anyone know what I CAN do before actually getting into a real routine?

Carrie, Dr. Sears has some gentle exercises he recommends in "The Baby Book"  for starting to condition the muscles affected by pregnancy and child birth. They are very easy, and can be done as soon as 2 weeks pp. For improving posture: stand against a wall and try to get your mid/upper back and shoulders flat against it. For the pelvic muscles: keagles of course, For abdominals: instead of full crunches, just start out by doing head lifts, also: laying on your back, leg lifts.  I started these exercises on week 3, it was nice just to do something physical even though they are very basic movements.

I definitely think just doing house work, running errands and caring for kids is tiring enough! I don't forsee myself being able to do a real workout on days when I am out running errands. Just going grocery shopping while wearing the baby in the carrier tires me out for the rest of the day. I am excited to start going to fun fitness classes again. i really want to try Nia, and this fun dance and martial arts inspired class called Will Power and Grace. Now I just have to get a milk bank stored up so DH can feed the baby while I'm gone.

#10 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 02:15 PM

I have to wait at least 6 weeks post partum (@ 2 weeks pp now), but the plan is to walk the trail around the park by my house while wearing DD and after dropping off DS at school in the am.  Thinking 3, maybe 4 times a week?

I dont own a scale, but i'd be surprised if i wasnt down 15 ls or so already, which means about 20 more to go...just hoping it doesnt take 2 years like it did w DS!

Great thread thanks for starting it!

#11 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 02:49 PM

I wanted to start a thread like this a while ago...but was too chicken.  I started working out again at about four days post partum. bag.gif I got a little enthusiastic because I was looking pretty skinny already after the birth.  I had assumed before-hand that this pregnancy weight would take a long time to work off.  So losing weight so fast was a real bonus.  Now my goal is to be back to modeling by the end of September.  No idea how realistic that is, but I'm working towards it.

My diet is just whatever I feel like eating (which is lots and lots) lol.  For exercise I'm doing a lot of the Butt Bible work outs.  Really anything on exercisetv.  I'm avoiding straight cardio-only work outs, but anything else I feel ok taking on.  I also like Jillian Michaels stuff. 

I have no idea how much I weigh or anything.  Don't think I want to know.  I'm just going off of how I look and feel for now. :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#12 of 55 Old 08-26-2011, 04:53 PM

Oooh, I'm in. I'm 2 weeks post partum.  I started this pregnancy at 142 lbs and ended up at 183 when I gave birth. I'm currently at 158. Numbers don't concern me too much as I want to focus on strength. I had pretty bad SPD all throughout my pregnancy and then other health issues that kept me off my feet most of the time. I wasn't able to do a lot of exercise. So, I'm feeling especially weak right now, especially my abs and back. I forgot to ask my midwife when I can start exercising again and I don't go back for another 6 weeks. Maybe I'll call her. I had stopped bleeding a week ago and then gushed a ton of blood on Monday. Stopped since then and then had a lot of bloody discharge this morning. Sucks, because I want to get moving. I'm so tired of not moving, but I don't want to stress my body too much. I plan on starting with light walking, belly dance and yoga.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#13 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 08:54 AM

I am 3 week PP today!  I started doing some short walks during my first week PP and am now walking about 1 mile every other day--if I feel to tired I skip it.  I also started doing some crunches and other simple stomach strengthening excercises.  It feels good to get my body moving!  I weighed myself this morning and I am about 5 pounds above my pre-preg weight.  I would like to loose that and maybe another 5-10, but I am mostly interested in getting back into shape and building my endurance up.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#14 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 09:34 AM

I texted my mw and she said light exercise is fine now as long as my bleeding doesn't increase.  Yesterday I didn't bleed at all, and so far today is looking the same!  Yay!  

Jbouck - THANK YOU for those exercise ideas!!  

I can't believe I have 30 lbs to lose, wah.  greensad.gif  I guess it could be worse.  I can get my size 8's up over my thighs but that's about it.  And the 12's I had from after DD don't even zip.  I really need to tear apart my closet and see if I can find those jeans from Express that I lived in after DD.

I found my postpartum support belt thing, and I wore it for awhile yesterday -- it's a tad annoying.  It keeps rolling down and riding up!  Gah.  So, I'm still in maternity pants.  I'm just wearing normal t-shirts though, my bewbs are so big that nothing fits right on top!  Ha!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#15 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 09:53 AM

Thanks for starting the thread! I am not even 2w PP and have not really done anything yet. I still have some red bleeding occasionally, despite being totally lazy, so I am going to wait until I have several days of no bleeding. I have a follow up appointment with the MW this week too, so after I talk to them I will feel more comfortable working out. I am looking forward to walking DD to school again, it is just under 2 miles round trip. I will also probably start with some Jillian. I have a few other DVDs I can do pretty soon. I love my Insanity workouts, there is one that is pretty easy that I did all through the pregnancy, so I plan to start that again, just modified a little until I hit the 6 week mark. My MIL is staying with us this week and I really do not want her watching me work out, so I likely will not start anything until after she leaves, which will be close to 3w PP. I will start doing some more walking this week though.

I am not sure how much weight I have left. I think I have lost around 20, but I have 25 or so more. I mostly just want to look good and fit back in my pants, which loosing weight wont mean anything on that front, it will just take time for my hips to get back to normal.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#16 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 10:14 AM

DH and I are thinking of doing P90X or Insanity once I'm cleared for moderate exercise.  Anyone do those before?  Sarah you said you did Insanity?

#17 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I want to exercise so badly but I don't think I can yet greensad.gif  I will be 3 weeks PP on Monday, but I had a c-section.  Also still bleeding a bit.  There's a gym near my house that offers child care,  I might try it at some point.  I used to do Spinning but stopped when I found out I was pregnant.  I miss it so much!  But it's a pretty hardcore workout so I'm thinking I won't do it until probably October. 

I don't own a scale, and from the looks of it I've lost a good deal of weight, but I did gain 50lbs during the pregnancy so I'm sure I still have a long way to go. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#18 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I'm still waiting to have my baby. But I'm wondering how long you ladies are waiting before starting an exercise routine? My midwife last time didn't want me to do any type of exercising until 6 weeks postpartum and I was wondering if there is a reason to wait that long.

This is a thread that I can't wait to really join Thanks for starting it.

Don't know if my example is the best- Im truly addicted to exercise!!!!  i walked short distances starting the day we came home.  I increased as i felt ready.  I think I started jogging 2 weeks postpartum - I was SO stressed out- middle of winter, baby that wouldn't sleep - day or night- and fed constantly.  Exercise is my coping skill and i remember feeling I could run 20 miles - but couldn't be gone more than a 1/2 hour without her wailing for another feeding.  

This time Im HOPING nursing goes a little better- and it'll be gorgeous fall weather and Ill be able to get out more in general.  Hoping for short walks with baby in Moby or Ergo - and eventually can't wait to run again :)

#19 of 55 Old 08-27-2011, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Gah, I just realized I'll be 3 weeks PP on TUESDAY, not Monday.  I already managed to forget which day of the week my baby was born.  I am a terrible mother, LOL.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#20 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 01:03 PM

I'm three weeks pp today, and I'm dying to start exercising! I think I'm going to try to hold off for one more week to get me to four weeks, because I have milk supply issues and want to build up as much as I can in the first month and I'm afraid exercise might have negative influences on that. I think I have about 20 lbs to lose (gained 37 lbs during pregnancy), but I haven't weighed, so I'm really not sure. I'm thinking of doing a yoga video this week, and then incorporating level one of the shred video next week. I did level one (modified) during my third tri, so I don't think it would be too hard to get back into that. I'm really, really wanting to start running again, but I'm worried it might kill my milk supply. Does anyone know about that?

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#21 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 04:11 PM

I'm 2 weeks +1  post partum and I reallly wanna exercise! I feel like I'm pretty lucky because I only gained about 30 pounds and I've already lost 20. I want to loose at least 15 more, because I was getting a little chubby pre pregnancy. I've felt great the last couple days and I thought my bleeding had stopped so I was planning on starting with a light exercise/dance video tonight, but I walked to the park about 3 blocks away & back and I started bleeding again. :/ It wasn't too much, but I should probably take it easy. I'm already pretty anemic from losing a lot of blood after birth. 

ETA- I got the motherhood maternity pp wrap & I really think it's doing something. I could barely get it around me the first day and now it's as tight as it goes!

Riley, 21 Photographer Mom to Lilah Mae (8/13/11)
#22 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Exercise greatly helps my mood, too. Plus, it just really helps to see the positive changes in my body. It'll be AWESOME to walk in the fall. It's my favorite season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

Don't know if my example is the best- Im truly addicted to exercise!!!!  i walked short distances starting the day we came home.  I increased as i felt ready.  I think I started jogging 2 weeks postpartum - I was SO stressed out- middle of winter, baby that wouldn't sleep - day or night- and fed constantly.  Exercise is my coping skill and i remember feeling I could run 20 miles - but couldn't be gone more than a 1/2 hour without her wailing for another feeding.  

This time Im HOPING nursing goes a little better- and it'll be gorgeous fall weather and Ill be able to get out more in general.  Hoping for short walks with baby in Moby or Ergo - and eventually can't wait to run again :)

#23 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 PM

I'm only 1 wk postpartum and will probably start exercising 6 wks pp, after DH leaves for bootcamp. We have a gym at our apt complex, but I'll probably just try to find some workouts online to do in addition to taking the dogs and baby on long walks once it cools off.

I gave birth 6 days ago to a 7 lb 5 oz baby and a healthy sized placenta. Before birthing I weighed 163.0. I now weigh 164.3. That's right, I gained over a pound!!! I'm swollen like crazy, but I didn't think it was possible to be swollen that much.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#24 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 06:24 PM

I LOVE Insanity!! It can be rough on the knees at first, and if you have had knee injuries it might not be good at all, but I absolutely love the workouts and can not wait to start doing them again, I know in 60 days i will look kick ass and be able to run 6 miles easy again!  I have not tried P90X, but I like Insanity because you don't need any equipment or props.

All you ladies already working out have me really itching, I am really holding back right now trying to make sure we have a good BFing routine going first, but I am going crazy. I have been waking up super early just to stay in the habit hoping it will make it easier when I can work out... I have been sneaking in some leg lifts!

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#25 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

I'm only 1 wk postpartum and will probably start exercising 6 wks pp, after DH leaves for bootcamp. We have a gym at our apt complex, but I'll probably just try to find some workouts online to do in addition to taking the dogs and baby on long walks once it cools off.

I gave birth 6 days ago to a 7 lb 5 oz baby and a healthy sized placenta. Before birthing I weighed 163.0. I now weigh 164.3. That's right, I gained over a pound!!! I'm swollen like crazy, but I didn't think it was possible to be swollen that much.

That's a neat trick! Dang!

Sounds like a good plan for working out :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#26 of 55 Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 PM

exercise sounds awesome...but i am still a ways off from it. today is yurei's 3 week mark....and while my bleeding has been minimal for the past week and a half (where i don't even have to wear anything), every once in a while i will get some bright red to show up. i am barely leaving the yard...i know this isn't from over doing it. i did finally weigh in this week, and it turns out i'm only 15 over pre-pregnancy weight ( after gaining 50+ pounds!! ) but i really need to tidy up some of this flappy skin and what not.

sarah, the insanity dvd's look.... well, insane, but awesome. i have dreams of trying them, but i guess i wonder if it would be too much? were you exercising vigilantly before taking on these dvds? i figure, worst case scenario, i can keep up the best i can and just keep upping the ante. i think i am being a little optimistic about finding the time to exercise, but we'll see. :)

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#27 of 55 Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 AM

Yesterday I went on my first post pregnancy stroller walk!  It was very tame, only about a 20 min slow walk.  Afterwards, I did feel pretty sore and achey, so I know I do really need to take it slow to start off with.  My bleeding didn't start back up!  So I think I'm off to a good start at least.  I was also down to 170 yesterday so now I'm down 19 lbs and have exactly 30 to lose to get to my pre-preg weight.  

#28 of 55 Old 08-29-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elevena true View Post

exercise sounds awesome...but i am still a ways off from it. today is yurei's 3 week mark....and while my bleeding has been minimal for the past week and a half (where i don't even have to wear anything), every once in a while i will get some bright red to show up. i am barely leaving the yard...i know this isn't from over doing it. i did finally weigh in this week, and it turns out i'm only 15 over pre-pregnancy weight ( after gaining 50+ pounds!! ) but i really need to tidy up some of this flappy skin and what not.

sarah, the insanity dvd's look.... well, insane, but awesome. i have dreams of trying them, but i guess i wonder if it would be too much? were you exercising vigilantly before taking on these dvds? i figure, worst case scenario, i can keep up the best i can and just keep upping the ante. i think i am being a little optimistic about finding the time to exercise, but we'll see. :)

I had been trying to do the 30 day shred and was trying to run, but just could not get my strength or endurance up. I like the Insanity program because you make it as hard or as easy as you want. The first month I was doing it at a neighbors house will all the kids around and would often take breaks to deal with one of the kids or something!! As I got in to shape more I pushed myself harder, so I felt like every workout could be easy or hard. When I started I could barley run 2 miles, and when I finished I was able to work up to 6 really fast, it just really showed me how good it felt to push my body and work hard.

ETA: I was in about the worst shape of my life when I started Insanity!

Sarah

#29 of 55 Old 08-31-2011, 10:04 AM

I want the insanity program too.  It looks like what I used to put my own clients through when I was a personal trainer lol.  I just can't justify spending money on any exercise stuff right now though.

I have been doing the butt bible work outs during this last week.  I like them way more than the Jillian Michaels stuff (but to be fair, I've never been her biggest fan).  I'm trying to do an upper and lower body work out everyday.  Maybe abs too when I have time and/or motivation.

Also been doing a lot of dancing when I get a spare moment.  It's easy because I always have music on anyways.  So between dancing and pacing the house while holding a cranky newborn...I consider that plenty of cardio for now.  Still no idea how much I weigh, but I am between a size 3 and 5.  Not sure I'll ever go back to my pre-pregnancy size (1), but maybe I can get close.  I just want to be healthy and feel good more than anything right now.

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#30 of 55 Old 08-31-2011, 10:22 AM

2 mi stroller walk!  Slow, but better than nothing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page