Cora Ann is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

She's 7 pounds, 15 ounces and 19.5" long.  She ended up being about 2 weeks overdue and you can tell, she didn't have any vernix and has lots of peely skin.  She's beautiful and healthy :)

We planned a homebirth for our second baby girl and we labored at home for about 12 hours before finding out that she was breech during transition.  We had to drive to the hospital, about 15 minutes away, and have an emergency c-section because we didn't know her position or size and the dr. was concerend about me being only 5'.   The midwife believes that she flipped during labor but as we thought about it, we think she was probably breech for quite awhile. 

I left the hospital after 24 hours because I was feeling pretty good and preferred to recover at home.  I'm doing pretty good, it's mostly just the incision site that is bothering me.  They gave me some hydrocodone which I have yet to use and since today was supposed to be the worst, I don't think *fingers crossed* I won't need to take it. 

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congrats! Welcome, baby Cora!!

Sorry about the surprise breech and emergency section, but man, it sounds like you are recovering really well.  I needed percocet around the clock for over a week, and barely felt ready to leave the hospital on day 4!  You are a superstar!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#3 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Congratulations! Cora is a beautiful name. Enjoy your baby moon!!

#4 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 02:08 PM

Welcome Cora!  Oh, I really love her name!!  love.gif  Glad your recovery is going well.  Looking fwd to seeing pics of the little miss as soon as you get around to it!  Congratulations!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#5 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 PM

So glad to hear that you're feeling okay!  I know with CS that pain can be such a burden on poor mama...  It's wonderful that you've been able to avoid that!!

And BIG congrats on little Cora!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#6 of 10 Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM

Congratulations Mama, and I think you sound like you are recovery really well. I was on percocet until my staples came out on day 6, so going home after only 24 hours and not taking the painkillers sounds like you are doing great. Love the name Cora Ann too.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#7 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 05:45 AM

Congratulations and welcome baby Cora to the world!!!!  Hope you heal very quickly and enjoy your little one.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#8 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 12:53 PM

Congratulations!

Sorry about the emergency c-section. I ended up with one as well. You must be one strong mama and recovering beautifully. I stayed at the hospital over 72 hrs - and I still needed drugs when I got home!

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#9 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the support!  My recovery is going ok, although I'm sorry to hear that others haven't had it so smooth :(  My recovery is getting a little more emotional now; I really think she was breech the whole time and the midwife missed it.  My family really wasn't behind the whole homebirth thing to begin with and now I'm trying to answer all their questions, and lots of my own!  In some ways (lots), I'm even more supportive of homebirth because our emergency plan went just as planned and the baby wasn't in distress at all.  And the hospital was so pushy about everything and, I feel, unnecessarily separated the baby and I.  Plus, we don't have insurance so I am terrified to see the bill.  On the other hand, with a single midwife monitoring your care I think there's larger room for error.  I think it's entirely possible that all this was avoidable.  We are also thanking God that she didn't break my water like she was trying to do once I was fully dilated.  My cervix was still really posterior and the baby was floating a bit so she couldn't reach to break the water.  So, while everything turned out in the end, this could have been a pretty bad situation.  The baby is great though!  She's a very strong nurser but has her latch a bit off so we are trying to break that habit before I have no nipples!

Southern Stormy: I read your announcement and was sorry to hear about it.  I hope you are recovering nicely, now. 

Lynann:  You are planning a VBAC, right?

"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives."
#10 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 06:34 AM

Congratulations and welcome, Cora Ann!

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page