Maeve Pearl - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

P1030343.JPG

Maeve Pearl was born on August 15 at 1:46 am. She was 8 lbs and 19". 

I ended up with a c-section after 26 hrs of active labor. My water had broken hours earlier, but I'm not exactly sure when. After 26 hours of pitocin (which lead to the epidural at some point there) I was still only at 6 cm and my temp was climbing. 

The baby and I both got chorioamnionitis. She ended up in the nicu for a week. I lost a lot of blood and needed a blood transfusion. The whole ordeal was pretty hard. My beautifully crafted birth plan seemed kind of silly after all was said and done. I probably ended up with the most medicalized birth I could have imagined but I'd do it all again for her.  She received formula, bottles and pacifiers in the nicu but is happily nursing now. 

My partner was amazing - she was an expert advocate for both the baby and me when we were in the hospital and she's taking such good care of both of us now that we are home. I feel lucky and happy and in love with my little family. 

Maeve experienced her first earthquake on her second day home and is now in the midst of her first hurricane. An auspicious beginning for our little leo. 

We are smitten with her. 

#2 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 04:22 PM

We had our c-sections on the same day :) Excellent day for having wonderful babies.

I'm very glad that things are going so well now! Carefully written birth plans are wonderful, but the important part is being willing to change them as needed to keep everyone safe. Congratulations :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Welcome Maeve!  Love her name.  I'm so sorry for the rough start for both of you.  That must have been scary.  I'm so glad things are working out well now!  Congratulations on your little girlie! <3

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#4 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Congratulations Mama, and welcome little Maeve. Sounds like you are both now recovering well, which is great, even with such a dramatic start. Hope the weather settles back down really quickly.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#5 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 10:04 PM

Congratulations! She's absolutely beautiful!

Do you mind if I ask what you did to get her nursing? I had an emergency c-section as well, DD was in the NICU for 3 days and formula feed. I tried expressing colostrum while in the hospital but due to stress I wasn't able to do that. We are home now and my milk finally came in but I can't get her to nurse.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#6 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 06:31 AM

Congrats and welcome, Maeve! Sorry to hear that you were both so sick after birth, but it sounds that you've both healed well.

Also, kudos to your DP for being such a great advocate!

Working Mom to DS1 (05/09) and DS2 (08/11). 

#7 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the nice words everyone!

We think she's pretty fabulous.

Southern Stormy-

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with bf post nicu. This is what we did: I pumped while she was in the nicu and put her to the breast when we were there with her. She really fought latching on at the beginning. The lactation consultant at the hospital gave me a nipple shield so that my nipple would feel more like the bottle she had already become used to and it worked. It was still a struggle to get her on the breast but once she was on, she would nurse. She also would only nurse in the football hold, sort of squished up against the side of the pillow. When we got home, we experimented with starting out with the nipple shield and then taking it away fast mid session. It took a while until it worked but it did. The whole process was frustrating at times but we just kept at it. And when it just wasn't working we gave ourselves a break and gave her a bottle of breast milk. 

Good luck-hope you have your daughter latching on soon. 

#8 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 AM

Beautiful name for a beautiful baby. It's good to hear that you are both doing better now and home. Take it easy mama; I've had 2 sections myself and it takes a while to recover.
#9 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

She's beautiful! I'm sorry you had to stray from your plans, but I'm happy that all is well now and you're safe at home with your precious babe and family.

#10 of 10 Old 08-29-2011, 08:51 AM

What a sweetie!  Congratulations!  I hope you are resting, healing, and enjoying your babymoon.  blowkiss.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page