Mothering Forum banner

Maeve Pearl

872 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  jennyfah 
#1 ·
P1030343.JPG

Maeve Pearl was born on August 15 at 1:46 am. She was 8 lbs and 19".

I ended up with a c-section after 26 hrs of active labor. My water had broken hours earlier, but I'm not exactly sure when. After 26 hours of pitocin (which lead to the epidural at some point there) I was still only at 6 cm and my temp was climbing.

The baby and I both got chorioamnionitis. She ended up in the nicu for a week. I lost a lot of blood and needed a blood transfusion. The whole ordeal was pretty hard. My beautifully crafted birth plan seemed kind of silly after all was said and done. I probably ended up with the most medicalized birth I could have imagined but I'd do it all again for her. She received formula, bottles and pacifiers in the nicu but is happily nursing now.

My partner was amazing - she was an expert advocate for both the baby and me when we were in the hospital and she's taking such good care of both of us now that we are home. I feel lucky and happy and in love with my little family.

Maeve experienced her first earthquake on her second day home and is now in the midst of her first hurricane. An auspicious beginning for our little leo.

We are smitten with her.

See less See more
#2 ·
We had our c-sections on the same day :) Excellent day for having wonderful babies.

I'm very glad that things are going so well now! Carefully written birth plans are wonderful, but the important part is being willing to change them as needed to keep everyone safe. Congratulations :)

#3 ·
Welcome Maeve! Love her name. I'm so sorry for the rough start for both of you. That must have been scary. I'm so glad things are working out well now! Congratulations on your little girlie! <3

#4 ·
Congratulations Mama, and welcome little Maeve. Sounds like you are both now recovering well, which is great, even with such a dramatic start. Hope the weather settles back down really quickly.

#5 ·
Congratulations! She's absolutely beautiful!

Do you mind if I ask what you did to get her nursing? I had an emergency c-section as well, DD was in the NICU for 3 days and formula feed. I tried expressing colostrum while in the hospital but due to stress I wasn't able to do that. We are home now and my milk finally came in but I can't get her to nurse.

#7 ·
Thanks for the nice words everyone!

We think she's pretty fabulous.

Southern Stormy-

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with bf post nicu. This is what we did: I pumped while she was in the nicu and put her to the breast when we were there with her. She really fought latching on at the beginning. The lactation consultant at the hospital gave me a nipple shield so that my nipple would feel more like the bottle she had already become used to and it worked. It was still a struggle to get her on the breast but once she was on, she would nurse. She also would only nurse in the football hold, sort of squished up against the side of the pillow. When we got home, we experimented with starting out with the nipple shield and then taking it away fast mid session. It took a while until it worked but it did. The whole process was frustrating at times but we just kept at it. And when it just wasn't working we gave ourselves a break and gave her a bottle of breast milk.

Good luck-hope you have your daughter latching on soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.