Birth Control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

What are you mamas considering for birth control?  Originally I was against doing anything hormonal ever again, it destroys my libido and quite frankly freaks me out that it's screwing with my system, but I just don't know if I'm 100% committed to CTA again/using condoms.  I was thinking of the mini-pill?  We are pretty sure we are done having kids, but we don't want to do anything permanent just yet.  I had an IUD after Nora and it was a miserable experience and I have issues with how they "work". 

So...what are you doing?  Just getting a feel for what others are thinking..?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 12:57 PM

I get depressed about the subject :)

I guess we're back to condoms. I don't want anything hormonal, I hate IUDs and spermicidal jelly eats my skin.

*sigh*

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#3 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 01:25 PM

DH just had a vasectomy, but if he didn't do that I was thinking about the Paraguard(copper) IUD. Hormonal birth control kills my libido too, and it also makes me gain weight. We used charting before, and slipped up once which resulted in DD3. haha.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#4 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 01:31 PM

I am also torn on this. I have never been on any hormonal birth control and I don't plan on getting on it. We used condoms for a bit and then mainly used the pull out method for around 6-7 years. We never got pregnant until we decided to, but I am just terrified if we go back to that I am going to end up pregnant accidentally which I do not want. I thought about looking into a diaphragm but that just sounds like no fun at all. I am just seriously doubting that hubby is going to be ok with using condoms again. So at this point I have no idea!

I am with you Becky. sigh...

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#5 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quite frankly I'm depressed about it too.  I'm coming from TTC for 7 months when we just dtd whenever, however, and hoped to get pg.  Now that I truly do NOT want an accidental pg, it's just such a buzzkill and I'm not looking forward to worrying about it either.  I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't sure what to do though.  I have time to think about it, of course, but until then...

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 01:50 PM

I plan on getting another Paraguard IUD, but I loved mine and had no issues with it.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#7 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 02:02 PM

I can't do hormonal contraceptives. Had the pill a few years back and it just messed with my system on so many levels. I refuse to do that. DH hates condoms (that's how we got into this situation to begin with).  We half-heartedly were using the pull out method, so I don't know if that would actually work. We weren't 100% on using that when I got pregnant. 

I was thinking about the copper IUD, but when I looked up info on it before it was really expensive. We'll see. 

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#8 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

DH will be getting a vasectomy. I'm not worried about getting pg before it is proven that it is working. The soonest I've had AF ever come back was 8 months once, other times it has been years. Actually, he really needs to make an appointment here soon.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 04:34 PM

This is a hard one for us too. I've tried SO hard with all of mine to get pregnant, and have never been able to conceive without clomid & progesterone. So the chances are slim. But there. And of course I have a prolapse, which so far is looking livable, but a hysterectomy is most likely in my future (my hope is it'll wait at least five years!) If for some reason it doesn't get better in the next year or gets worse, I'll get the hyst. sooner. If not, then dh will get a vasectomy after the year mark. I just don't want both of us to have to go through surgery if mine is inevitable. We'll do condoms till then because, and be very strict about it because my body CANNOT handle another pregnancy.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#10 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM

Even without insurance, I have seen fliers about a year payment plan for it!  Since it lasts so long, it is very cost effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylaskye View Post

I can't do hormonal contraceptives. Had the pill a few years back and it just messed with my system on so many levels. I refuse to do that. DH hates condoms (that's how we got into this situation to begin with).  We half-heartedly were using the pull out method, so I don't know if that would actually work. We weren't 100% on using that when I got pregnant. 

I was thinking about the copper IUD, but when I looked up info on it before it was really expensive. We'll see. 

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

#11 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 05:43 PM

Abstinence.

DH will be leaving in 5 weeks for basic training and gone until Christmas. I'll only see him for 2 wks around Christmas then he'll be gone until mid summer. We'll probably use condoms when we see each other in Dec. Probably going to go back to NFP when he's back, except do it a lot more diligently this time. I figure by that time if we have another "oops" baby it won't be the end of the world. I just hate the thought of adding anything hormonal to my body

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#12 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 06:33 PM

I have been thinking about this (and talking to DH about this!) for months!!

I love FAM, but I don't trust it until my cycles get "regular", which didn't happen until about 17 months post partum last time.  I had a paragard, but I had terrible anxiety, which I read can be a side effect, something about copper levels causing anxiety in some women?  I must admit my anxiety improved in a big way when I had it removed.  I just can't do anything hormonal, it freaks me out, and I don't think I'd be as diligent as you have to be with the minipill.  I've thought about the mirena, but I'm still not comfortable with those hormones, if I can avoid it.  (the mirena is my #2 choice, though, to be honest).  I HATE condoms.  I'd rather not have sex than have sex with a condom!  So?  I've been thinking a lot about getting a diaphragm.  I like that I can put it in in advance, and leave it in over night.  I like that there's no real "barrier", and no hormones.  I know it's kind of old school, but I can't think of anything that would work better for us.  I like that when my cycles regulate, I can just use it during my fertile times.  We are also not ready to do anything permenant. 

Birth control is such a tough issue!!!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#13 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

I have been thinking about this (and talking to DH about this!) for months!!

I love FAM, but I don't trust it until my cycles get "regular", which didn't happen until about 17 months post partum last time.  I had a paragard, but I had terrible anxiety, which I read can be a side effect, something about copper levels causing anxiety in some women?  I must admit my anxiety improved in a big way when I had it removed.  I just can't do anything hormonal, it freaks me out, and I don't think I'd be as diligent as you have to be with the minipill.  I've thought about the mirena, but I'm still not comfortable with those hormones, if I can avoid it.  (the mirena is my #2 choice, though, to be honest).  I HATE condoms.  I'd rather not have sex than have sex with a condom!  So?  I've been thinking a lot about getting a diaphragm.  I like that I can put it in in advance, and leave it in over night.  I like that there's no real "barrier", and no hormones.  I know it's kind of old school, but I can't think of anything that would work better for us.  I like that when my cycles regulate, I can just use it during my fertile times.  We are also not ready to do anything permenant. 

Birth control is such a tough issue!!!

I love my diaphragm :) I hope you don't have the same issues as I do with the spermicide, though. And sometimes it's hard to find in stores because so few women use them anymore. I don't know why not - they're completely hilarious :D

Becky

Married to Dusty

#14 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 07:00 PM

I'm done. I'll be scheduling my Adiana procedure in a few weeks. DH is supposed to be getting a vasectomy, but hasn't scheduled anything yet. rolleyes.gif  Last time my cycles started back up six weeks pp despite EBFing. I can't risk an 'oops'.

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#15 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Beckily, I have a few questions!  I have to have my OB "fit" me for a diaphragm, right?  I have a 6 week post partum appt scheduled, but do I need to tell them I want to be fitted for a diaphragm before the appt?  Is it something they can do on the spot?  Do you get the thing that day?  When you said "it's hard to find', were you talking about spermicide?  Is spermicide an extra precaution, or is it totally necessary every time?  Is the diaphragm hard to place?  Were you using one when you got pregnant?  Sorry for all the questions, lol!  I don't run across many women who have experience with the diaphragm!

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#16 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper.kettle View Post

Beckily, I have a few questions!  I have to have my OB "fit" me for a diaphragm, right?  I have a 6 week post partum appt scheduled, but do I need to tell them I want to be fitted for a diaphragm before the appt?  Is it something they can do on the spot?  Do you get the thing that day?  When you said "it's hard to find', were you talking about spermicide?  Is spermicide an extra precaution, or is it totally necessary every time?  Is the diaphragm hard to place?  Were you using one when you got pregnant?  Sorry for all the questions, lol!  I don't run across many women who have experience with the diaphragm!

You do have to be fitted! It's good to let them know ahead of time because it can take some time. They feel your cervix and guess and then put in a tester. Then you fill it at the pharmacy - sometimes it can take some time as they're sometimes not kept on hand. The spermicide can be hard to find - you can look now! It's just any tube of spermicidal jelly :) My pharmacist didn't know how they worked (!!) and told me I could use the little spermicidal films - not true! You need the jelly. You put about a quarter sized glop in the center of the cup and then around the rim. You can use them without, but it's not a perfect seal all the time, so that's not the best plan.

It's .. amusing to place? :) Can take some practice and you certainly want to practice! It's not the best thing to try in the heat of the moment. You have to put the goo on and then fold it and side it in. I usually laugh a lot. And then you can't feel anything :) You take it out the next day and it's very slimy.

We got pregnant using the "Well, you had stage 4 cancer and they said you're infertile" method. And then kept not using anything after the miscarriage. We suck at birth control ;)

And ask away! I like the diaphragm. I had to argue to get it - she wanted me on an IUD. Pah. This was my second one. I suppose I can still use it since I didn't give birth vaginally!

Some people use alternative things for the spermicide - just has to be something that will denature proteins. People use lemon juice and such. There are recipes online, but they'll bring down the efficacy, which is lower than most things anyway.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#17 of 32 Old 08-28-2011, 08:52 PM

ugh, yes I am depressed about this too. Before I got pregnant we were charting, and I loved it. I am afraid of just relying on that now though because I doubt my cycles will be regular enough for a while. Hormonal bc turned me into a psycho and killed my libido, so I was thinking of getting an IUD. I guess I will put more thought into this after I talk to the MW as my 6 week pp check up. I don't think I will be ready for another kid for 5 years, so I want to make sure we are really safe from an accident.

#18 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 02:50 AM

I ditto all the people depressed about it...I am sooooo not willing to do the IUD.....got an infection every time...I hate pills because they make my migraines even worse than they are and make me gain weight plus the fact that I hate hormones and I know I will forget to take them.

Hubby hates condoms and I hate the pull-out method....don't know what to do but even if the blood stops we are going to abstain until we figure out something.  I'm definitely through having babies....this was number six and it took a real toll on my body.  I could definitely feel a big difference between this pregnancy and my last one which was about four years ago.  Then I had no aches and pains like this pregnancy.  I could swear that bones and joints were falling apart.  Even my tail bone is still sore till now....never had that before.  Definitely can't go through another pregnancy -- I don't want to.

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

#19 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 AM

So glad to see this thread! I have the same issues as everyone else here orngtongue.gif So yeah, no hormones for me either as they make me depressed and give me endless yeast infections. I really don't like the idea of either of the IUDs available. We both hate condoms. Charting is out as long as I am waking up every 2 hours at night. So I think it will be pulling out for us. We used it for a couple years before TTC and it worked for us. And I don't think DH will be comfortable counting on LAM. But eh, I really prefer it when we can just go the whole way! I think it matters even more to me than DH redface.gif And, since I already have baby fever again (ridiculous, I know) I think we will be relying on his desire to avoid another child more than mine. Even though I know it would be better for everyone's health and sanity if we wait for a few years for another one.

Trying to thwart nature is just no fun at all ;)

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#20 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

So, condoms are 85% effective and the minipill is 92% effective.  Why do I feel like trusting either one by itself would be a mistake?  Are those % taking into account misuse, you think?

#21 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 06:36 AM

Im torn on this topic too. I cant ever remember to take bc pills, and i havent taken them in almost 5 years... i dont really know how i feel about an IUD, it kinda freaks me out, but I dont want to get pregnant again anytime soon (if ever)... not ready for the big V yet for DH though....

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#22 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 06:38 AM

Carrie, I'm pretty sure those figures are for "average" use as opposed to "perfect" use. Perfect condom use has a failure rate of 2% if I remember right. I do have a friend who got pregnant using condoms, and nobody at the doctor's office seemed surprised in the least huh.gif

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#23 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 AM

I have a question about vasectomies: after a man has one, does he still have an ejaculation when he orgasms? How exactly do they work? I am trying to convince DH that this would be a good option for us when we decide we are done...

#24 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM

the only hormonal bc i used ever was the nuvaring. I get affected by dosages not adjusted according to my body size very easily so i was not hopeful when i started but it took me a good two years before I started feeling some negative affects. so it may  be a good alternative while trying to make decision? you just need to remember it once a month (i did every 25th)

beware though if you are prone to yeast infections, it may increase their frequency. and this was about 4 years ago so i have not kept up on their potential side effects.

proudly written using left hand onlyjoy.gif

#25 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

I have a question about vasectomies: after a man has one, does he still have an ejaculation when he orgasms? How exactly do they work? I am trying to convince DH that this would be a good option for us when we decide we are done...

Yup.  Theres still semen, just no sperm in the semen.  They still function the same.

#26 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

i had a partner for several years who had a vasectomy.....yes, there is definitely an ejaculation but his always had a fair amount of pain associated with it. he was very regretful of his vasectomy- not just because it wasn't thought out well, but also because of all the related pain he had in the years following.

hang.gif  single, scholar, childbirth advocate mama goodvibes.gif + two lively, rambunctious, beautiful, insightful and whoa-spirited dds, 4.5 and 8. fencing.gif + a sweet chunky boy born august 7, 2011!  + .....our sweet old lady dog, 10 years young. love.gif   = one full cup 

#27 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 01:24 PM

We will use FAM and condoms again.  We used this method for about 5 years before DD came along.  I am allergic to latex so all latex products are out of the question and any spermicides bother me greatly.  I also had issues with the pill--the hormones really mess with my system.  I suppose at some point we might decide for DP to get a vasectomy, but as we are not opposed to another child I am not too stressed one way or the other about getting pregnant.  Preferably not right away though--not too worried about this at DD was about 18 months old when I got my first PP cycle.  

I found that FAM worked great if you really follow the rules and avoid or use alternative protection during potentially fertile times.  The key is to actually follow the rules and not cheat winky.gif

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#28 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 01:35 PM

I dont think we will really "use" anything... I hate pills, we hate condoms, he hates pull out method, I tried charting and cant figure it out, and so ... well... we will have to see what happens.

I was thinking we might be done, but Ive heard the big V isnt all its cracked up to be and can make for health problems... I always just thought that we will take what is given to us. children are blessings to us...  Im interested in what you all have to say though. maybe it will spark our interest in something

mama to 4 awesome little beings, F 6yrsknit.gif, P 3yrshomebirth.jpg, N 2yruc.jpg, A 9mths,,uc.jpg, expecting #5  in the spring joy.gif
#29 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 02:22 PM

We use Creighton Model FertilityCare System and have found it to be very effective. We have had great instruction and I love my practitioner and can call her anytime, which helps. DH and I are very conservative with the rules when we do not want to get pregnant. No hormones or barriers, it just does not suit our beliefs or life style. We likely will have one more regardless, but if we mess up and have a 'failure' it would not be the end of the world for us.

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#30 of 32 Old 08-29-2011, 06:42 PM

We have been discussing this too  and haven't come up with any solutions duh.gif  I hate hormonal bc ... kills my libido and makes me cranky plus I tend to get a lot of UTIs.  My cycles were so screwed up when I stopped taking it.  Hubby hates condoms and so do I.  I have never tried charting so I am thinking that we might give this a try, I just need to learn all that goes along with it.  Financially we can not afford to have another baby after this one arrives ... But we see children as a blessing and would love to have more...

luxlove.gif

http://novelstudies.org - My hubby's website for affordable novel-studies for kids.

joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page