Please help :( 42 weeks and no labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone...

I just joined this forum for some support..If there are any mamas that can help me, please offer some advice :(

According to my early ultrasound I'm 41 weeks + 6 days...according to my BPP ultrasound which I had today I'm only 41 weeks..

My midwife wants to transfer care to a OBS and wants to discuss induction tomorrow and possibly wants to rupture my membranes. She told me that i'm risking it if Im not accepting getting induced..and all bunch of scary stuff!

I told her maybe my body is not ready yet and I have faith I can go into labor soon..anyways its REALLY stressing me out. I had a stretch and sweep at 40 weeks and one today. I have been cramping every 5 minutes but same pressure/pain...

I dont know what to do! Has any moms refused induction at 42 weeks and gave birth naturally? She said there can be meconium in the water as well as shoulder dystocia and a risk of still birth (according to stats)

According to my non stress tests and BPP ultrasounds the baby is doing great..although over 9 lbs...

What are my rights? What can I do to go into labor? How do I refuse without being pushed? Im so stressed!

PS - I had my first vaginally at 40 weeks + 10 days

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 09-01-2011, 03:03 PM

No advice, but couldn't read without posting. I hope it works out for you. hug.gif

janie
mama to grace 12.11.01, cady 8.11.08, and ada 8.3.11
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 05:42 PM

I decided to be induced at 42 weeks, partly because my baby daddy was getting anxious and because we didn't want to take any risks with some thing going wrong after 42 weeks. It was a hard decision, it took a while for it to sink in, but I'm glad she's here now.

Its a very personal decision, I wish you luck.

#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Any update, to-mama? I don't have any advice to give you, but thought maybe you'd get a better response from the I'm Pregnant or Birth forums, since many of the other mamas here are too busy with post partum life to answer. I wish you the best of luck!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#5 of 5 Old 09-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I hope you've had your baby by now. I was getting close to 42 weeks myself and would like to share with you a few resources my sister shared with me that I found to be helpful. Best luck to you!

http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/10/3/postdates-separating-fact-from-fiction.html

"As many as 10% of all pregnancies go past 42 weeks."

Source:  http://www.justmommies.com/articles/forty-weeks-pregnant.shtml

"Another thing worth noting is that ACOG doesn’t recommend inducing labor until at least 42 weeks."

Source:  http://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2009/06/13/pregnancy-really-isnt-40-weeks/

"Your Due Date

The average length of pregnancy is 280 days, or 40 weeks from the first day of a woman's last menstrual period. It can be hard to predict the exact date. Only 5% of babies are born on their due dates.

Health risks for the baby and mother increase if a pregnancy is prolonged. The more prolonged the pregnancy, the greater the risks. But problems occur in only a small portion of postterm pregnancies. Most women who give birth after the due date have healthy newborns."

Source:  http://www.acog.org/publications/patient_education/bp069.cfm

"So if the risk of postmaturity is less than 10% of pregnancies that go beyond 43 weeks, and the percentage of women who go beyond 43 weeks is less than 3% - how big of a risk is it really?

The problem with assessing risk for postmaturity is that modern Obstetrics, and even modern Midwifery, tends to treat all women as equal in pregnancy. Seldom is personal or familial gestation history taken into account, or abnormal cycle and ovulation schedules. These things are important to consider! How healthy would a midwife’s policy of inducing at 41 weeks , be for a woman who has a personal or familial history of going to 44 weeks? We are talking about potentially trying to induce a baby who will be 3 weeks “early” according to their own biological gestation clock. And if the induction “fails”? It will likely result in stress for both mother and baby and lead to more invasive intervention, and possibly a cesarean.

The condition of a baby and placenta all depends on the health and personal history of the mother, as well as the health of the baby – at any gestation. A placenta does not begin to deteriorate automatically beyond 42 or 43 weeks. A placenta can begin to deteriorate at 36 weeks, once again, depending on the health and over all well being of the mother and baby. I have often heard the fear in women of “placental deterioration” after 40 weeks. But as it has been seen, this has nearly nothing to do with length of gestation, as much as it has to do with overall health and maturity of the individual pregnancy and baby. I personally have seen a baby born at 43 weeks, solid dates, absolutely covered in vernix and attached to a very healthy placenta. In contrast, I attended the birth of a 37 week baby who had dry, wrinkly skin, and a calcified and very old looking placenta.

Other important factors include unhealthy habits and complications such as:

• Smoking
• Alcohol
• Drugs
• Diabetes ( Mellitus, NOT Gestational )
• Hypertension"

Source:  http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2009/10/3/postdates-separating-fact-from-fiction.html

"As long as the mother is adequately hydrated, and there are no congenital abnormalities in the baby, the baby will continue to create amniotic fluid until birth. Whether this be at 37 weeks, or 44. If decreased amniotic fluid is suspected through palpation, an ultrasound can be done to measure the volume found. However, this is not an exact science, as the volume found can – and usually will – vary from ultrasound technician to ultrasound technician, and can also sometimes be dependent on baby’s position. If the levels are found to be on the low side, evidence based protocols suggest having mom orally re-hydrate and return within 24 hours for another AFI ( Amniotic Fluid Index ), preferably by a different technician. This has shown repeatedly to have improved outcomes, versus immediate induction for low AFI levels.

A study published in the Journal of Reproductive Medicine found a significant increase in amniotic fluid after maternal oral rehydration, as well as intravenous hydration, with neither one better than the other. In all, 62.5% and 44.0% demonstrated improved AFI levels."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page