sleep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 09-02-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

thought I was hanging in there but it just hit me HARD tonight- the baby fell asleep after long nursing session and i knew i should be in bed.  My husband still hadnt made the bed like he said he would and my daughter was desperate for time with me.  My brain got all funky- I couldnt decide if i should eat dinner or not and feel this clock ticking since it's precious time before he's up.  The hardest thing is that when he's sleeping is time i want with my daughter - but it's killing me.....

#2 of 27 Old 09-02-2011, 05:48 PM

I definitely feel you on this. During the day I feel pretty good, but then around 5pm I start to realize how tired I am and start to get so mad at myself for not getting any chances to nap during the day.... especially when I know it won't be until midnight or so before I get some actual sleep.  I can only imagine that it's even harder with more than one child, so I definitely give you props! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 01:33 AM

Haha, sleep... Well, this far it seems to be working out pretty well. DD goes to sleep around 10 or 11, and I follow shortly after. She wakes up around 2, I change her diaper and nurse her back to sleep. Repeat at 5 or 6. If I'm lucky she may then sleep until 9.30 or so, but usually more like 8.30. She also sleeps during the day, so I usually have nap opportunities though I usually don't take them. So I have been getting a decent amount of sleep, even though it is broken.

BUT last night DH went out to see a band play. This was totally fine with me, he's been working hard and he needed to do something fun. The show started at 10 and I expected him to be late but I still expected him to be back by 2... which he wasn't. So I woke up, took care of DD, and decided to put earplugs in so DH wouldn't wake me up when he got home. But I fell asleep nursing DD and forgot the earplugs, so when DH came home at 3 (!) it woke me up out of a nice dream and royally pissed me off so I couldn't fall back asleep. After 2 hours of sleeplessness, while DD slept soundly beside me, I was in tears thinking of all the wasted sleep time for me, because DD won't sleep that late in the morning. So I woke up DH and made him keep me company while I had a snack and fell back asleep. I feel bad for being petty, but at the same time it was just so not fair that he came home and passed right out, while waking me up in the process. Sigh. So today I am tired. Hopefully this doesn't happen often.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#4 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 02:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Sleep? What is that?

With 4 kids, two of them in my bed that I alone deal with at night (DH sleeps in another room) and no chance for naps during the day because of other children. Sleep is not something I get much of . 5 hours of broken sleep through the entire night is considered a good night by me. I got 3 or so last night, because baby decided to wake up from 12-3am and that sucked but life goes on. I have no idea how many times I wake at night or how many times baby eats. The beautiful of cosleeping! I just shove a boob in his mouth and go right back to sleep. I only fully wake up when he is soaked and I need to get up and change him, like I had to do 30 minutes ago. And now baby is back asleep, and I'm going to crawl back in bed before DD2 wakes me up 5:45, she is my early riser and the other child who has to sleep with me. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#5 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

Sleep? What is that?

With 4 kids, two of them in my bed that I alone deal with at night (DH sleeps in another room) and no chance for naps during the day because of other children. Sleep is not something I get much of . 5 hours of broken sleep through the entire night is considered a good night by me. I got 3 or so last night, because baby decided to wake up from 12-3am and that sucked but life goes on. I have no idea how many times I wake at night or how many times baby eats. The beautiful of cosleeping! I just shove a boob in his mouth and go right back to sleep. I only fully wake up when he is soaked and I need to get up and change him, like I had to do 30 minutes ago. And now baby is back asleep, and I'm going to crawl back in bed before DD2 wakes me up 5:45, she is my early riser and the other child who has to sleep with me. 

So, how do you function???  Does it effect your brain?  My mom seems to think some people deal better than others - Im one who really needs sleep and this is the toughest part for me.

#6 of 27 Old 09-03-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

Haha, sleep... Well, this far it seems to be working out pretty well. DD goes to sleep around 10 or 11, and I follow shortly after. She wakes up around 2, I change her diaper and nurse her back to sleep. Repeat at 5 or 6. If I'm lucky she may then sleep until 9.30 or so, but usually more like 8.30. She also sleeps during the day, so I usually have nap opportunities though I usually don't take them. So I have been getting a decent amount of sleep, even though it is broken.

BUT last night DH went out to see a band play. This was totally fine with me, he's been working hard and he needed to do something fun. The show started at 10 and I expected him to be late but I still expected him to be back by 2... which he wasn't. So I woke up, took care of DD, and decided to put earplugs in so DH wouldn't wake me up when he got home. But I fell asleep nursing DD and forgot the earplugs, so when DH came home at 3 (!) it woke me up out of a nice dream and royally pissed me off so I couldn't fall back asleep. After 2 hours of sleeplessness, while DD slept soundly beside me, I was in tears thinking of all the wasted sleep time for me, because DD won't sleep that late in the morning. So I woke up DH and made him keep me company while I had a snack and fell back asleep. I feel bad for being petty, but at the same time it was just so not fair that he came home and passed right out, while waking me up in the process. Sigh. So today I am tired. Hopefully this doesn't happen often.

Her schedule sounds luxurious!!!  I could live on that kind of sleep- i remember when my DD slept like that and i finally had a brain cell to work with!  How old is your DD?  My son is 6 days old today so I cant expect much yet :)

#7 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

Her schedule sounds luxurious!!!  I could live on that kind of sleep- i remember when my DD slept like that and i finally had a brain cell to work with!  How old is your DD?  My son is 6 days old today so I cant expect much yet :)

DD is almost 4 weeks, but she's pretty much been sleeping like this for weeks now. Perhaps I just lucked out and got one of those mythical sleeping babies?? Really though I am not expecting this to last, I thought it was just because she's still so little and needs to sleep a lot.

It's a good thing though because I am one of those people who goes a little (lot) crazy when I don't get enough sleep. I am pretty sane with this amount, thank goodness.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#8 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 08:01 AM

I thought I had a mythical sleeping baby, and he does sleep well, but ONLY on me or tucked in my arm.  Sigh.  I spent another night with him on my chest in the recliner and my back is just killing me!!  UGHHGHGH!!  I think DH and I need to come up with new plan of action.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#9 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 AM

We sleep with DS and sometimes with DD, when she wakes up in the night (which is why we recently got a king size bed).  For DS I have been swaddling him at night.  He is not completely consistent, but will feed about 10-11pm then again in the 1-2 or 3 range.  Some nights he decides to wake up and be awake--this usually happens when he wakes around 3 and then he will be up for about 1 hour.  I get up with him and watch some netflix with him and do some bouncing, then we go back to bed.  He likes to sleep pretty much right next to me with my arm over his head.  Sometimes he fusses if I am not cuddling him and sometimes he does not.  When he doesn't fuss it does give DP and I a chance to cuddle, which is really nice love.gif

The hardest time for me, related to sleep is nap time for DD (when she takes one).  If DS is asleep when it is time for a nap it is great and I can usually get a nap too, but if DS happens to be awake then it usually results in tears by DD and lots of whining from DD, since she is tired and wants me to lay down with her.  We are working it out and sometimes it is easier if this is happening to skip the nap (but I often really need a little break from at least one of them during the day, so it is a little sad for me when DD does not get a nap).

Swaddling definitely is the way to go for the wee ones!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#10 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 AM

Mine has been asleep in the swing for 30 min and is still going!  I actually got a shower (with DH!!) and am sitting typing with two hands!!!  joy.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#11 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 01:12 PM

For about the first 2 weeks Ruby June slept like a dream, but this last week has been awful! What's that about, is there a 3 week growth spurt or sleep regression or something?!

She slept well last night, because she was awake all.day.long! She wouldn't sleep at all, which meant I couldn't put her down at all to get anything done. Finally my brain kicked in and I dug out the Moby. That calmed her down and she finally fell asleep.  But it's hit or miss, and I am worried about her being so fussy and not sleeping. I can't really tell if it's  a tummy thing, or a growth spurt or something else. 

Nald - all I can say is just that these days (let's hope!) are short. I barely remember the early days of sleeplessness with my older daughter.  It will get better, hopefully soon. hug2.gif

And Urusarctos - Your daughter's schedule sounds amazing!

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!
#12 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM

You moms with more than one kid are my heroes! I told DH we better wait awhile for another one b/c I do not see how I could have a new baby, a 2 or 3 year old and sanity all at the same time.

The only good thing about having to FF is that DH has no reason he can't help me out at night. He's absolutely amazing and will do ALL her nighttime care so I can sleep (though I'd much rather have had less sleep and been able to breastfeed). I always end up waking up anyway, but he's the one to get out of the bed and do everything.

During the day I figured out its a heck of a lot easier to just let her sleep in my arms or on my chest than try to put her down. She sleeps GREAT laying on me- I've gotten better at one handed typing. Today was the first day I've just let her sleep on me the entire day and its gone a heck of a lot better for me mentally than trying to get her to sleep in the swing or cosleeper. I can attend to the housework that requires two hands once DH gets home. Don't know what I'll do when he leaves in a month- hopefully by then I'll have a wrap or sling she'll sleep in.

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#13 of 27 Old 09-04-2011, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I feel revived today after a night of being able to snooze between feedings.  He ate every 2 hrs or so but i kept him with me all night (vs co-sleeper) and he didnt ned to be changed - HUGE difference.  I think i actually slept somewhere in there :)

#14 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I thought I had a mythical sleeping baby, and he does sleep well, but ONLY on me or tucked in my arm.  Sigh.  I spent another night with him on my chest in the recliner and my back is just killing me!!  UGHHGHGH!!  I think DH and I need to come up with new plan of action.

that's the min lesson learned with my first- just when you think you've got it made, it changes :)

#15 of 27 Old 09-05-2011, 02:24 PM

Ugh. Last night DS was fussy and did not go to sleep until 12:30, but then slept normally. During the fussy time DD was also whiny and demanded the I lay down w/her, so DP and did a bit of trading off between them as needed. It was a little rough, I am hoping that this is not a new trend.

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#16 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 

that's the min lesson learned with my first- just when you think you've got it made, it changes :)

I also think that if I'm having trouble with the baby, DH needs to sleep on the couch and me and Finn need the bed.  No fair for a postpartum mom to suffer on the couch while DH sleeps solid in a huge comfy queen bed, IMHO.  A huge source of resentment is the hours of stretched out sleep he gets while I'm cramped and twisted around an infant!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by earth-mama View Post

Ugh. Last night DS was fussy and did not go to sleep until 12:30, but then slept normally. During the fussy time DD was also whiny and demanded the I lay down w/her, so DP and did a bit of trading off between them as needed. It was a little rough, I am hoping that this is not a new trend.

I hope not either!  Sending you better night vibes from here on out!!

#17 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 09:20 AM

Last night was great, relatively speaking.  We got both kids to sleep at a reasonable hour and Jonas did not have an awake period last night--yay! (he was kinda noisy though--in general he is much noisier than Lily was and grunts a lot even in his sleep).

Sooo glad that the fussy awake time does not seem to be a trend!!

Gotta get going--I have to take the dog to the vet.

#18 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Today it seems that DD decided she does not want to sleep without me right next to her - and she will wake up just to make sure I'm still there. It's kind of cute and sweet, and honestly I feel like it's her birthright as a baby mammal to have me close when she is sleeping... but I need to do things other than lay beside her and stare at her cute little face. Like brush my teeth. And I can't wear her in the sling all day.

She also won't fall asleep if there is anything going on in the house. Like dishes being washed or food being cooked. Or my mom being around, which is unfortunate because she doesn't have a kitchen where she's staying and therefore has to stay for dinner here and doesn't leave until a bit late. I think the clinking and clonking disturbs her as she's drifting off, like it does me actually. Too bad she didn't get DH's ability to fall asleep to anything.

#19 of 27 Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursusarctos View Post

She also won't fall asleep if there is anything going on in the house. Like dishes being washed or food being cooked. Or my mom being around, which is unfortunate because she doesn't have a kitchen where she's staying and therefore has to stay for dinner here and doesn't leave until a bit late. I think the clinking and clonking disturbs her as she's drifting off, like it does me actually. Too bad she didn't get DH's ability to fall asleep to anything.

Today Nora was trying to dance and flip right in front of Finn sleeping in his swing.  He kept opening his eyes, squawking at her all grumpy like, and then going back to sleep!  it was hilarious!  Finally I scootched her out of the room and into hers for some quiet activities, but Finn is really serious about catching his zzzz's.  He'll wake but usually (usually) settle himself back down.

That said, Nora was just like your LO.  You couldn't drop ice into a glass w/o it waking her up, so I have a lot of sympathy for you.  White noise machines are miracles for babies like this, if you can get your hands on one of those it should really help!

#20 of 27 Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM

What are your babies' longest stretch of sleep?  Do they do it at night or during the day?

Will's longest stretch is usually 3ish hours, once a day.  At night he nurses every 2 hours on the dot.  Each feeding takes aboutn 20 or 30 minutes.  He gets gassy so easily, and the only solution I've come up with that works is to be super diligent about burping him 2 or 3 times per feed.  Which means I have to sit up for all of them.  Nursing laying down is impossible for us b/c he swallows so much air, and I fall asleep and don't burp him, and then he spends hours and hours miserable with gas.  SO.  I am getting 3 or 4 stretches of 1.5 hours of sleep at night.  I'm so tired.  He has gone 4 hours between feeds twice in his life (4 weeks tomorrow).  I was really hoping he'd be doing 1 four hour stretch per night by now :(. 

Copper- wife to B, mama to DS1 Jeb 12.4.07, and DS2 William 8.11.11.  So thrilled to be expecting a surprise baby 10.26.14!!!
#21 of 27 Old 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM

Carrie, I will have to think about that white noise machine. Apparently when I was a baby my mom would turn on the vacuum cleaner to get me to sleep...

Copper - DD often sleeps 3-4 hours at a time *during the day* but not usually at night. Then it's usually about every 2-3 hours that she wakes up. Though lately she hasn't been sleeping as long during the day as she did. She seems overall fussy too - I'm thinking she either has tummy issues or might be fighting a little cold as her nose has been snuffly. In fact today she has only agreed to sleep ON me or DH. Cute, but difficult to get anything done!

She also does this weird thing in the morning hours. She sort of writhes around and makes this loud noise, we call it growling. It's almost like she's clearing her throat really loud and long. She doesn't wake up though and then relaxes again for a few minutes. She does this cycle for hours on end, which makes my last few hours of sleep very broken. She doesn't seem to be in any pain. Anyone else experience something like this? It's so weird.

#22 of 27 Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM

Ursus- When Charlie writhes, it means gas. But he wakes up and yells ;)

I'm tired. He only wants to be on me these days, in reaching distance of a boob. I'll sleep with him cuddled to my side his hand reached up to my boob, but we get very hot and I wake up in a puddle of sweat. But otherwise we don't get much sleep.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#23 of 27 Old 09-07-2011, 01:47 PM

Finn's longest stretches are during the day.  Probably 3-4 hours.  Nighttime sleep is 2-3 hour chunks, and thankfully they are solid chunks.  We get a random 3-4 hour chunk here and there but that's it.  

Right now, he and I go to bed around 10:30.  Generally he wakes up around 2, then again at 4, then at 7.  Give or take an hour here or there.  So far, I'm lucky in that after nursing, he goes right back to sleep.  It has its downside b/c he'll only do one bewb, so I get up, go to the living room, lights on, get him on, deal with the choking out, spitting up, etc, and then he's passed out within 45 min or so.  But it's just enough time that I'm UP, and don't feel like going right back to sleep.  But I force myself to, b/c I know I need those hours!!  

He sleeps on me, too.  Screw that cosleeper.  I need my rest.

#24 of 27 Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Two nights ago River slept for his longest stretch yet in 3 1/2 weeks... almost 4 hours!  When he woke me up, I had a plugged duct that is still giving me problems.  But for now, he usually sleeps 1 1/2- 3 hours at a time throughout the night. Usually after he nurses for about 30 min and sleeps in my arms for about 15 minutes, he can go back to sleep until the next time.  But lately at about 4am he is just up for the day... wide awake and alert and ready to be out of the bedroom. So I usually go in the living room to nurse him and hang out for an hour or two, and then pass him off to DH and try to go back to sleep for a little bit. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#25 of 27 Old 09-07-2011, 03:46 PM

hmm we have been getting 5-6 hour sleep stretches last two nights, as that sounds great - the clogged duct that accompanies it is not so much fun to deal with. We had a what felt like a multiple clogging issue on the left breast (it is not the fav anyhow) - last night and took all night to resolve it and still hurts a lot today. I am seriously considering setting up an alarm clock to wake up to nurse in that long strech - is that insane?  as a disclaimer, she usually has 3.5 hr of block feeding before we go to bed so that may be the reason for the long stretch....not that i want to complain about sleep!

#26 of 27 Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 AM

Becky -. I think it might partially be gas for us too after all. She stopped writhing and growling when I put her on her belly on top of me this morning. And she kept squirming a little bit and farting. I'm guessing the warmth and position sooth her little tummy.

#27 of 27 Old 09-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

hmm we have been getting 5-6 hour sleep stretches last two nights, as that sounds great - the clogged duct that accompanies it is not so much fun to deal with. We had a what felt like a multiple clogging issue on the left breast (it is not the fav anyhow) - last night and took all night to resolve it and still hurts a lot today. I am seriously considering setting up an alarm clock to wake up to nurse in that long strech - is that insane?  as a disclaimer, she usually has 3.5 hr of block feeding before we go to bed so that may be the reason for the long stretch....not that i want to complain about sleep!

You could set an alarm to pump, and just pump to relieve pressure.  I wouldn't do a full pump b/c it will signal your breasts to make more milk.

Guys, I got like NO sleep last night.  I actually handed Finn off to DH and I never do that!  I think all the sleep deprivation is catching up with me, really.  I was going fine thinking I could do it all by myself but that's just not the  case.  DH had him from 3-6.  I took him back at 6, fed him and thank GAWD he fell asleep in the swing til just before 8.  I slept on the couch but it was better than nothing for those 2 hours.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page