Any home birthers do a hearing test? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Upon the recommendation of our pediatrician we took our son today to have his newborn hearing exam done.  It took place without incident but we did learn a disturbing piece of information.  If the babies don't cooperate, they mildly sedate them.  WHAT?  I'm guessing this goes on in the hospital too.

I couldn't imagine having a newborn sedated to perform a non invasive medical test.  If it came to that, we would have opted out but thankfully with a little boobie juice he did just fine.

Was just wondering if anyone else was having this done.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 09:38 PM

We are probably going to do it but we need to get it done soon.  Apparently, they like to do it before six weeks because they're nice and sleepy (apparently the babies need to be asleep to do the test?)  I can't believe they would sedate them, though!  That seems like a dangerous practice----giving drugs to anyone that tiny is a risky proposition!!   bigeyes.gif

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

Old 09-02-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

They don't have to sleep, just have to be relatively quiet.  We ended up nursing to accomplish that task.  I couldn't believe it either about the sedation especially in the hospital.  I always wondered how they got it done.  Apparently they get as many tests done as they can during that time.

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

Old 09-02-2011, 11:56 PM

That's strange. I had mine done in the hospital and they just keep coming by, trying to catch the baby at a good time. He had to do it twice - he failed his left ear twice during the first test so they came back the next day. He wasn't asleep the second day, but she did a great job of keeping him nice and quiet. Seems like if they're good at what they do they don't even need to be asleep.

Of course, the hospital I went to won't even put tape on babies, so maybe I'm just lucky :)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 AM

What?? That is bizarre. DD was awake when they did it for her, just quiet (she may have been nursing?). It took about 2 seconds and she didn't seem to notice at all. I can't imagine why they would sedate a baby for that.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I've done it for 2 out of my 3 HB babies. Last baby I didn't, pedi doesn't have the ability to do it and it wasn't big on my to-do list. I ended up getting a letter from the state a couple months later saying they knew of local places to get it done. I was interested so I called, they actually didn't, they had to research it and get back to me. Granted, I do live in a remote part of the state! We ended up going to an audiology center, by then he was 4-5 months old and had to do a full hearing scan. It took hours because we had to wait until he was still and quiet (read asleep or nursing!). I'm glad we did do it, DS1 has severe speech issues and that would of been the first thing that we had to of done, a full hearing screen (not just the newborn one) but we had already done it!

My MW actually owns a machine now to do her own hearing screens. Like I said, we are in a very rural area, she doesn't do that many births. I was shocked when she said she owned one. She told me that she bought it because the state is really encouraging all newborns to be screened regardless of where they birthed at. We have a local family that I know that didn't do one, HB, at 1y the boy was found to be deaf. And I have two friends from my last DDC that I still talk with, both of their girls are deaf, so it is on my radar. It took minutes to do ours here at the house. When I worked in the hospital, there was never any mention of sedating newborns for it. I've never heard of such a thing actually and I work with newborns, it isn't done locally, but I keep up to date on journals and lists as well. It must not be a widespread practice, thank goodness. 

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:44 AM

What???

I ended up having him in the hospital, so I had it done.  They said they would do it when he was sleeping.  There is no way I would have let them sedate him!  I did make them do it in the room, but they didn't seem to mind that.

Wifey (23) and Hubby (23) since 07/08.  Enjoying DS baby.gif born 8/6/11!

bfinfant.giffamilybed1.gif nocirc.gif femalesling.GIF fuzmalesling.gif cd.gif !!!

Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Unless my MW is going to do it when I see her next, then I'm probably just going to opt out. DH and I have already noticed Liam's reaction to sound, so we're not to worried about it right now and we can always get him tested at a later date. 

What I don't get is why I have to sign a medical waiver about refusing the test. But the gvt is strange like that, I guess. (They even had grammar errors in the birth certificate paperwork... The stuff we actually have to file. Go figure.)

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

Old 09-04-2011, 08:35 AM

The midwife we had recommended getting one done and since Norrie was a hospital transfer we had it done there. She passed with flying colors and she liked the sounds a lot. 

Enjoying 7+ Years of marriage with my bff/hubby. 2twins.gif SAHM to babygirl.gif Norrie.  Wehomebirth.jpgcd.gifbftoddler.gif,delayedvax.gifselectivevax.gif

We have cat.gif),dog2.gifdog2.gif. and a tree frog. 

I am a "Multicrafty"knit.gifsewmachine.gif mamma to be who blogs at: http://www.myslightlycrunchylife.blogspot.com

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM

We didn't do one, it was never even mentioned.  

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 AM

We had a homebirth and we went to the hospital for one. R slept through the whole thing (which took less than 5 minutes) and it was no problem!

Old 09-04-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianBlesing View Post

We ended up nursing to accomplish that task. 

Yep.  Same here.  DS nursed and was able to have the test done.  Fortunately the tech was a sweetheart and waited for him to mellow while nursing.  I think I was more nervous than he. 

'09   

User Tag List