unisom while nursing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I know i was given the green light while pregnant but wondering if it's ok while nursing.  After 7 nights of no sleep i tried to go to bed last night and my body had NO CLUE how to fall asleep- it's been working so hard to stay awake!!!!!!!  Googling it comes up with many various responses, of course - and it's a long weekend so no Dr to call- any info appreciated!

#2 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 07:58 AM

I always trust Kellymom.  

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

It does say that unisom is L4 (possibly hazardous) and is found in breast milk.  However, the risk to the infant might be worth it if the benefit to the mom is greater. Just frankly speaking, I probably wouldn't take it.  

Are you cosleeping?  If you are, as much as it sucks, I wouldn't take anything to help me sleep unless baby was in a crib/bassinet (I'm sure you realize that though.) 

Hugs, mama.  These first few days/weeks are TOUGH.  hug2.gif

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 08:41 AM

I saw this under "new posts" and wanted to chime in. I have had a hard time with sleep since the end of my pregnancy. Recently, I tried acupuncture and am having good results. 

#4 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 09:14 AM

I say this as someone who had a really, really hard time with insomnia after DS was born, but I would not take an L4 while nursing unless it was absolutely medically necessary. Every mama has to do what's right for herself though! I would echo Carrie though that please, please, if mama is medicated that co-sleeping is not safe!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#5 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I say this as someone who had a really, really hard time with insomnia after DS was born, but I would not take an L4 while nursing unless it was absolutely medically necessary. Every mama has to do what's right for herself though! I would echo Carrie though that please, please, if mama is medicated that co-sleeping is not safe!

I know, I know- I need to find some way to relaxe my body/mind.  Hopefully with time it'll ease up.  I do co-sleep and that's working  for us so far :)

#6 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I always trust Kellymom.  

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

It does say that unisom is L4 (possibly hazardous) and is found in breast milk.  However, the risk to the infant might be worth it if the benefit to the mom is greater. Just frankly speaking, I probably wouldn't take it.  

Are you cosleeping?  If you are, as much as it sucks, I wouldn't take anything to help me sleep unless baby was in a crib/bassinet (I'm sure you realize that though.) 

Hugs, mama.  These first few days/weeks are TOUGH.  hug2.gif

I know- I keep reminding myself this isnt forever- I now have a 4 yr old who goes to bed easily and sleeps through the night- it's a great reminder :)  

Im confused after looking at the Kelly site- isnt unisom/simply sleep diphenhydramine?  They list it as L2.  Am i confused?

#7 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

I know- I keep reminding myself this isnt forever- I now have a 4 yr old who goes to bed easily and sleeps through the night- it's a great reminder :)  

Im confused after looking at the Kelly site- isnt unisom/simply sleep diphenhydramine?  They list it as L2.  Am i confused?

No, its doxylamine.

Try to catch naps during the day, even if is just for 10 min. It will help!!

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#8 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 11:56 AM

Diphenhydramine is Benedryl, and also the "PM" ingredient in Tylenol PM. I would go that route first, before trying the unisom. Again, though, with any medication aimed at sleep, you wouldn't want to co-sleep when taking the Benedryl.

Can you tell us what else you've tried? Some things that work for me sometimes are a very hot bath, a big cup of chamomile tea with honey, or a glass of warm milk. Not really big guns, but they do work...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#9 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Ive also tried chamomile tea- i have a mug with 4 bags brewing as we speak :) I take a calc/mag supplement that helps, reading, anything to relax my brain.  I feel like just reminding myself it's good to be resting - and not putting pressure on myself to fall asleep helps.  I called the hospital "mother's hotline" and they suggested a glass of wine - 

#10 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM

lavender soap n warm shower used to help me...

funny w the help line - our ped keeps telling me that i look tired and i should drink some wine or beer?! she said as long as you have one glass and dont nurse for an hour it is fine. i would if i can predict her nursing schedule..

#11 of 18 Old 09-04-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

funny w the help line - our ped keeps telling me that i look tired and i should drink some wine or beer?! she said as long as you have one glass and dont nurse for an hour it is fine. i would if i can predict her nursing schedule.

Me too! I have been craving red wine for 9 months, but my big eater is hungry ALL.THE.TIME, so I'm just having sips for now.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#12 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Me too! I have been craving red wine for 9 months, but my big eater is hungry ALL.THE.TIME, so I'm just having sips for now.

At the LLL meeting I went to they said it's a good idea to drink while nursing. That way they're fed and might be good for a bit and you get your drink. But yeah, that wouldn't work for me most the time these days with my new permenant boob attached baby.

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#13 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elove View Post

funny w the help line - our ped keeps telling me that i look tired and i should drink some wine or beer?! she said as long as you have one glass and dont nurse for an hour it is fine. i would if i can predict her nursing schedule..

no kidding- i poured a tiny glass last night and he decided to keep on sucking.  Oh well. I think im easing into sleep a bit more as each night goes by

#14 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

At the LLL meeting I went to they said it's a good idea to drink while nursing. That way they're fed and might be good for a bit and you get your drink. But yeah, that wouldn't work for me most the time these days with my new permenant boob attached baby.

did you mean after nursing?  

#15 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

did you mean after nursing?  

Nope. While you have the beer or whatever, have the baby nursing. It's not in the milk that way and then you have time when they're not hungry (depending on baby, certainly not during constant feeding days) to pump and dump if you're going to.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#16 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 05:09 PM

I've heard during nursing as well. It takes a short bit for the alcohol to get into your bloodstream, and when it does, you've just finished a feeding.

To be honest, I never hesitated to have a single, small glass of wine regardless of my nursing schedule. It never seemed to make one hoot of difference in DS's behavior. I certainly wouldn't pour my normal glass, but the small ones never seemed to bother him, and a small glass can be a BIG lifesaver after a stressful day.

#17 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

I've heard during nursing as well. It takes a short bit for the alcohol to get into your bloodstream, and when it does, you've just finished a feeding.

To be honest, I never hesitated to have a single, small glass of wine regardless of my nursing schedule. It never seemed to make one hoot of difference in DS's behavior. I certainly wouldn't pour my normal glass, but the small ones never seemed to bother him, and a small glass can be a BIG lifesaver after a stressful day.

I don't really drink, but I wouldn't fuss about it, either. Especially as I'll only ever have about a shot's worth of whatever I'm drinking.

Becky

Married to Dusty

#18 of 18 Old 09-05-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

well that sounds relaxing :)  I do remember the midwife at my first birth suggesting that at my 6 week visit- I was so wiped out and stressed by then.  DD nursed non-stop for the first 2 months.  She also said it would be ok to use a "soothie" when needed.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page