How Do You Like Your Cloth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I noticed a bunch of us are already diving into cloth and I thought we could share what dipes we're using, how we like them, why, etc.

So far, I've really been relying on BumGenius 4.0s with snaps.  I love the adjustability of the snaps!!  I have one Blueberry pocket that I'm learning to love.  It's not as nice as the BGs, IMO.  The print is fun, but it's just not as trim.  I love me some cloth diaper butt, but it's a little too fluffy for my taste!

My least favorite is the Weehugger.  I'm glad I only bought one.

Sadly, none of my covers/prefolds are getting used, and I had bought such cute ones!!  But they're small, and I like the ease of pocket diapers so much more!!

So what are you guys using?  What are you thinking of buying in the future?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#2 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 09:35 AM

I'm using infant size PFs, and an assortment of covers -- mostly ones I made with gussets, or the Thirsties Duos.

It's working out pretty well overall.

I have 3 pairs of wool longies too, and when I am brave enough to hope for no poop-splosions, they look so cute and fit quite well. I love wool, but NB poop & wool together is a bit scary.

I have a couple Softbums (Echo?) thatI really do not like, but am hoping we start liking them more as she grows -- w/o gussets, they just do not contain anything!

I'm also liking the Pianissimo fitteds I got, but they did not fit well till about 8.5lb (they are NB size), now that they fit, they work great.

~SynEpona~
#3 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 09:47 AM

We started cloth diapering at birth, so I don't have anything to compare to... We're using kissaluv size 0 fitteds and orange-edge GMD prefolds with our little guy. I knitted tons of wool soakers and shorties, so he's mainly been in those with the occasional Thirsties extra small wrap. My hands down favorite diaper cover has been the Loveybum wool wraps in size medium - I bought 3 of them on Ravelry and they've been awesome! We have no pocket or AIO diapers.

As he grows we have the yellow edge prefolds (which I'm prepping by using as a layer on our changing mat, then tossing in with diaper laundry every day so I don't have to waste water prepping them by themselves) and just wool. I don't like PUL or plastic in general - the Thirsties we have were given to me by the person I bought the kissaluvs from - and I'm trying to knit up a big stash of longies for autumn.

#4 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM

We started out mainly using KL0's and thirsties covers which we LOVED! It seems like he is wetting a lot more and he just completely soaks the fitteds and the covers have leaked a few times. Plus they are starting to get a little snug on him so we are rotating in our one size pockets.

I have some softbums, smartipants, best bottom, ragababe, bottom bumpers, and a kawaii minky pocket. I basically bought several different kinds of diapers so we could find what we love and then commit.

The softbums are by far my favorite. They are so adjustable in the leg and just work really well for us. I have only had one leak and it was before I found the perfect adjustment for us.

The smartipants are also an awesome pocket and I love that you dont have to unstuff them. I have had 0 leaks with them as well.

Best bottoms leak every time. I think he is just too little still for that diaper but we will see in the next several weeks.

I HATE the ragababes. I am so mad that I spent money on them. They are really expensive and they suck. They have leaked EVERY TIME I have used them...

The kawaii minky pocket also works really well. So far I have had really good success with cloth. I am going to buy a few more softbums and I thought about trying a BG 4.0.

DH really wishes I would stick to just one brand but I just wanted to try so many different kinds that I couldn't resist. I am going to make the bulk of our supply softbums though so he should be happy about that!

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#5 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by openpollination View Post
 (which I'm prepping by using as a layer on our changing mat, then tossing in with diaper laundry every day so I don't have to waste water prepping them by themselves) 

that is such a good idea!!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by karalynnskies View Post

The smartipants are also an awesome pocket and I love that you dont have to unstuff them. I have had 0 leaks with them as well.

I don't unstuff to wash my BG's either. Or do you mean you don't have to ever stuff them? Are they an AIO or a pocket?

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 10:07 AM

We started out using a couple Kindhearted Woman newborn fitteds, which we liked ok (they had a nice little snap that snapped the front of the diaper down a little to avoid the umbilical cord stump) and GMD orange edge prefolds. We never did buy any NB covers, DH just took a small unstuffed pocket diaper and make it work as a cover. I really liked the prefolds, DH did not.

Now we are using several different pocket diapers that I bought second hand - We have some XS BumGenius, Some old style fuzzibunz, and Small Swaddlebees that all fit her pretty well right now. I really can't say I prefer one over the other. They all seem to fit pretty well, she's only leaked once and I think that was our fault for not snapping the snaps tight enough; and they all are easy to use. The only thing I don't like about them is they make her booty so big some newborn outfits won't fit anymore greensad.gif

Mama to a adoreable August '11 baby and two great dogs
#7 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStormy View Post

Now we are using several different pocket diapers that I bought second hand - We have some XS BumGenius, Some old style fuzzibunz, and Small Swaddlebees that all fit her pretty well right now. I really can't say I prefer one over the other. They all seem to fit pretty well, she's only leaked once and I think that was our fault for not snapping the snaps tight enough; and they all are easy to use. The only thing I don't like about them is they make her booty so big some newborn outfits won't fit anymore greensad.gif

If she's not too heavy a wetter, you could try stuffing them with a prefold rather than the microterry insert to make it a little trimmer!

#8 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

that is such a good idea!!  

I don't unstuff to wash my BG's either. Or do you mean you don't have to ever stuff them? Are they an AIO or a pocket?

Its a pocket but its open at both ends so the insert just makes its way out in the wash. Its nice cause my other pockets I have to unstuff before I was them.

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#9 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 10:45 AM

The fitteds I made in nb sizes with stretchy knits fit amazing! We LOVE the thirsties duo snap covers, but I wish I had more of them in velcro! The one we have fits awesome. He has a long rise though, and is already on the middle rise snaps! The BG xs are almost too small. I had plans of starting him in OS dipes right after the nb fitteds, but I think I might make one more size of fitteds and wait on the OS.

Jill, mama to three fiery girlies and a sweet baby boy: Grace, 11.30.2005,  Ayla, 3.22.2008, Norah 9.5.09, Reed 8.19.11 & dfs Gage 2.29.12   angel1.gif x4

#10 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 10:52 AM

For my NB stash I have a few AIOs and then Bummis whisper wraps w/ preemie sized prefolds. The preemie prefolds fit SO much better in the NB covers, but they don't have the absorbency. I found that I had to change them once an hour if I didn't want them to leak. Martha will often sleep for 2-3 hours during the day, so kind of a pain.

I have one BG NB AIO that was too small from birth. I have 2 Thirsties AIOs that were too big still. Unfortunately, Martha's belly button has been slow to heal, so we put the cloth on hold. Then we were in the hospital for 4 days where they were weighing her dipes. And now she's on ABX. Sigh. I'll wait until she's been off of ABX for a week or so before switching back. I am NOT battling yeastie dipes. NO THANKS.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#11 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 AM

We are using what we used on DS2. (DS1 we bought MANY different kinds, and setteled with only using one brand) Miss Ella is in BG AIOs in XS right now (and I bought 3 xs fuzzi bunz we use at night). Once she gets a little bigger, she will be exclusively in fuzzi bunz. We LOVE them and they are great because they are pockets, so our heavy wetters get more inserts. And at night we use even more inserts so DS2 doesnt leak. I did buy some girly colors (17 more diapers... dh is gonna kill me!!... but thoes range from extra small to large) because i wanted some pretty ones after two boys!

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#12 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Right now I'm angry at my cloth! I have some amazing diapers that worked great during the first week....now I'm getting peed on every.single.time except when he's in a fitted/cover. We have hard water and a front loading washer - I never had build up issues/leaking the last time around, but we had a top loader. GRRR! The itti bitti AIO's are awesome (when not repelling!) and that is saying something because I am not a fan of AIO's. Love pockets and really starting to have a love of fitteds with PUL or longies.
#13 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I mostly use infant sized prefolds and Thirsties duo wraps.  I have one Kissaluvs fitted and one Blueberry AIO.  I love those, and wish I had more of them, but prefolds are cheaper, so yeah.  I have two WAHM fitteds that he's already outgrown!  I have some FuzziBunz OS that still seem too big.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#14 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM

We are using a mix of pockets and fitteds. In our stash is a Muttaquin, 2 kissaluv's, 2 sbish, 3 pipers closets, 1 fuzzibunz, 4 apple cheeks, a few prefolds some bummis covers and some wool. I think that might be it. I like everything but my favorite is sbish, of course they are so great for nighttime and he can wear them without a cover. And I dont like the bummis covers, they are so stiff. Anyone want to share stash pics? lol

#15 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 12:46 PM

We have 2 dozen each of small and large GMD flats, plus about 8 each plain white pull-on nylon covers in sizes newborn and 2 larger (from when my little brother was a baby, no idea what brand they are but they work). We started out using pins but then switched to snappis, which makes the whole process SO much easier. I really like them. They are easy to fold and put on, and very versatile and simple. Right now the size larges are doubling as absorbent pads for my other nipple when DD is nursing (I always let down on both sides at once! Does that ever stop?) and little sheets for DD to lay (and spit up) on when she's next to me in bed. So all the time.

Me treehugger.gif and DH caffix.gif and sweet baby DD heartbeat.gif born 08/2011.

#16 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 01:00 PM

I've been using cotton prefolds with waterproof covers with gussets. So far I have no complaints, we do the angle wing style fold and hold it together with a snappi. The brand of prefolds I got is Sweet Pea Diapers, and I have 2 Thirsties size one covers and 1 Sweet Pea One size cover. The Thirsties covers are fine, even though they are a little bulky when snapped into the smallest setting, and I REALLY like the Sweet Pea cover, which goes down to the smallest size really well. The Sweat Pea cover is also softer and more stretchy, the fabric seems a bit nicer than the Thirsties.

We also have 6 Fuzzibunz One Size poket Diaps, but I haven't tried them yet, since she is still pretty small, and I have been liking the prefolds so much. I think I will give them a try this week though.

I have a question about the prefolds, is it normal for the whole cotton part to be wet by the time I change the diaper? They are usually saturated and damp all the way through, not dripping or anything, and we haven't had any leaks, I just want to make sure this is how it's supposed to work.

Also, what detergent does everyone use? I have been using the arm and hammer that is free of perfumes and is for sensitive skin, and I *think* it is  working well. None of my diapes are stained, and they seem to be absorbent enough, but I have heard that this detergent can leave residues. Do you really have to buy something special like Charlie's, or is that a marketing thing?

#17 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM

We have a large stash of prefolds and have some thirsties and bummis covers--these we used with DD.  We also have a couple of rumarooz one size diapers and some fuzzi bunz OS diapers.  All of the diapers are working well for Jonas (who is now over 11 lbs at 1 month).  I really like the rumparooz and may get a few more for my mom to use (she is going to be babysitting Jonas when I go back to work.  The prefolds are working great too!

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#18 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggiemomto2 View Post

Right now I'm angry at my cloth! I have some amazing diapers that worked great during the first week....now I'm getting peed on every.single.time except when he's in a fitted/cover. We have hard water and a front loading washer - I never had build up issues/leaking the last time around, but we had a top loader. GRRR! The itti bitti AIO's are awesome (when not repelling!) and that is saying something because I am not a fan of AIO's. Love pockets and really starting to have a love of fitteds with PUL or longies.

Dh bought me a 2nd hand toploader just for diapers! It's so much better. Our front loader just doesnt' have the options to get enough water in there to really clean diapers.

~SynEpona~
#19 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbouck5 View Post

I have a question about the prefolds, is it normal for the whole cotton part to be wet by the time I change the diaper? They are usually saturated and damp all the way through, not dripping or anything, and we haven't had any leaks, I just want to make sure this is how it's supposed to work.

Also, what detergent does everyone use? I have been using the arm and hammer that is free of perfumes and is for sensitive skin, and I *think* it is  working well. None of my diapes are stained, and they seem to be absorbent enough, but I have heard that this detergent can leave residues. Do you really have to buy something special like Charlie's, or is that a marketing thing?

Should have used multiquote sorry!

With DS 4 1/2 years ago the PFs were only wet in the front, but with DD, they are wet everywhere, even if I change her very frequently. I was just figuring that little girl pee dipes are different than boy ones were!

I use the 'natural' liquid detergent that I get at the grocery store, it works well, and I use it on all our laundry (except DH's clothes, he likes Tide). I think the 'special' detergents are part marketing and part true. If you aren't having any problems with what you're using, don't make any changes. If it stops working, then look for a solution. I used this same detergent on everything of DSs as well, and never had to strip my diapers at all.

~SynEpona~
#20 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Right now I have a dozen One Size Fuzzibunz and a dozen One Size BumGenius.  24 is just barely enough for doing laundry every other morning, so I think I should buy some more soon... especially for when I go back to work (next month, ack!) I might not be as timely about laundry.  We also have 3 Thirsties covers and a bunch of generic pre-folds that I got as gifts. It's sad to say, but I think they are way too much work to put on, so DH is the only one using them.  I'll only use them if we are totally out of the other diapers.  It's funny, because at first I was the one who had to sell DH on the cloth diaper idea, and now he is the one who is really driving the whole thing right now. I feel so overwhelmed, that if it were just up to me, I'd probably be using disposables hide.gif.  But it's great that he's keeping me honest with the cloth! 

We also just moved to using cloth wipes. I couldn't bring myself to buy any (why are they so expensive!?), and I can't sew at all, so I just went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of old receiving blankets and cut them into squares. We'll see how long they last before they are just too frayed to use.  But it's nice to not to use all those harsh chemicals on his booty at each changing. 

-----

Those of you using pockets... you can get away without unstuffing them before you wash them? I've been unstuffing them as I take them off, before they go into the diaper bag, but maybe I don't have to do this afterall? I have a front loader, so I'm worried there isn't enough agitation to unstuff them during a wash. Maybe I'll try it for this next load.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#21 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

Those of you using pockets... you can get away without unstuffing them before you wash them? I've been unstuffing them as I take them off, before they go into the diaper bag, but maybe I don't have to do this afterall? I have a front loader, so I'm worried there isn't enough agitation to unstuff them during a wash. Maybe I'll try it for this next load.

Again, no actual experience here, but from my research you can leave the inserts in during your soak then take them out if you don't want to deal with the dirtiness of it all. I don't know if they'll unstuff themselves or not, though.

-Skye    http://sunnashearth.blogspot.com
Mama to L (08/11)

#22 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure about a front loader b/c I have a top loader, but I don't touch anything or unstuff my pockets.  I just toss them all in and they come unstuffed in the wash.  I think once, one insert didn't make its way out, but it was clean and dry so I didn't bother washing it again.

I definitely need moar dipes.  I'm washing daily!!  At any given time there are dipes in the dryer and in the bag and only 1 or 2 left in the drawer - and one on the boy.  I need at least like 10 more to save me from doing this every day!!  And I use sposies at night so there's no reason for all this chaos!!  But I think I'll wait for a deal.  

#23 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylaskye View Post

Again, no actual experience here, but from my research you can leave the inserts in during your soak then take them out if you don't want to deal with the dirtiness of it all. I don't know if they'll unstuff themselves or not, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

Not sure about a front loader b/c I have a top loader, but I don't touch anything or unstuff my pockets.  I just toss them all in and they come unstuffed in the wash.  I think once, one insert didn't make its way out, but it was clean and dry so I didn't bother washing it again.

I definitely need moar dipes.  I'm washing daily!!  At any given time there are dipes in the dryer and in the bag and only 1 or 2 left in the drawer - and one on the boy.  I need at least like 10 more to save me from doing this every day!!  And I use sposies at night so there's no reason for all this chaos!!  But I think I'll wait for a deal.  

Thanks, I think I'll try it out for this next load. 

Also, FYI, Fuzzibunz is doing a buy 6, get 2 free deal until 9/30.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#24 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM

Baby washcloths (the thin little cheap ones) or cut up fleece work well too :) and the fleece won't fray. Once your receiving blanket ones get too frayed, try fleece!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

We also just moved to using cloth wipes. I couldn't bring myself to buy any (why are they so expensive!?), and I can't sew at all, so I just went to the thrift store and bought a bunch of old receiving blankets and cut them into squares. We'll see how long they last before they are just too frayed to use.  But it's nice to not to use all those harsh chemicals on his booty at each changing.

~SynEpona~
#25 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 03:22 PM

that's a great idea! I think I have some old fleece sheets that are too hot to sleep on that I could cut up. Thanks! 

#26 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 03:23 PM

We went to the store and bought a bunch of white wash cloths for wipes. They work great, require no sewing and are cheap ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#27 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 03:33 PM

I have a large stash of Kissaluv 0's and nb covers that I only got to use for a week or so until Alexander grew out of them!

Now I have mostly OS Mother Ease and BG 3.0's as well as two Blueberry minky's. Right now the BG's and Blueberries are my favorite for maximum absorbency. But since in watching diaper output really closely due to bf'ing issues, I'm mainly using the ME's so I can see the wetness better with each dipe change. Once I get my bf issues resolved, I'll probably get a few more BB's to add to the stash for use until he turns into a toddler. From my experience with ds1, I preferred the os pockets until he became a toddler and then my preference turned back to the ME's.

I'm having a problem with staining lately for some reason. I have had the same diaper washing routine going on for over two years and have never dealt with such awful stains as I am with this baby's poop! I need to start drying the dipes outside to help get rid of them I guess. I use Planet Ultra liquid detergent and have a top loader. My washer doesn't agitate strong enough to pull the inserts out of the pockets. I've tried. So I unstuff them myself as I load the washer. I do a cold prewash, a hot prewash, a hot long wash cycle, and two rinse cycles.

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#28 of 61 Old 09-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're using mostly flats and plastic covers. My MIL showed us how to fold the flats so they wrap around her legs to keep the leg-leakage to a minimum. We're using Bumkins all-in-ones as well (thank you, Sis!). Anika started out so little that I think her legs aren't as chubby as most babies that fit those dipes. She seems to be growing lots lengthwise and staying trim. I think I may have figured out how to snug them up around her legs. I need to just pull everything a little higher and tighter, which I was shy to do with her possibly herniated bellybutton. It's all a matter of trial-and-error it seems, but it's weirdly fun and satisfying. Tomorrow is the first day of school here, and I just so am loving my job of being mommy at home instead of teaching the first day of school. love.gif

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#29 of 61 Old 09-07-2011, 04:22 PM

Been using cloth since the start.  I also live in an apartment with no washer or dryer, so that factors into what I love and what I don't.

I love prefolds and cute bummis covers.  I also really love my wool covers.  I have become really good with prefolds over the years and can get one pinned on a baby super fast.

As always, prowrap covers or dappi's are just ok.

I really like my tinkle trap custom fitteds, but they are still a bit big on V.  I use them anyways though and they work great.

I HATE the cheapo fitteds that I got from Little Lions.  The 12 for $60...so not worth the money. 

I do want to buy a couple of fuzzi bunz for night time diapering though.  She is a heavy wetter and I am tired of changing her every two hours at night.  I want a couple fuzzi bunz that I can stuff like crazy for bed time lol.  That always worked well for me with my other babies.

I have yet to have a blow out and I think I have only had one leak so far.  So again, I am loving using cloth diapers. :)

Melaya (29) - Mom to Z (9) and soon to be I (due Nov 2013) stork-boy.gif

Birth mom to M (7), O (5), & C (2). winner.jpgnovaxnoIRC.giftriadadopt.jpg

#30 of 61 Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 PM

I have blowouts often! UGH! I'm so frustrated over it all. My son was in CD's for over 3 years and only had an occasional stink issue - I hate the issues I'm having now. I'm going to try to strip tomorrow. It will be interesting with the front loader since I cannot add extra water .... I really wish that were an option.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page