starving - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anyone else even hungrier than while pregnant?  i am constantly eating and hungry - nursing plus trying to function on no sleep makes me HUNGRY!!!!

#2 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM

Dude. YES.  eat.gif  I would like to not be a whale sometime sooner than later but I cannot. STOP. EATING.  

The middle of the night is the worst.  I try to eat a sandwich or cereal before going to bed, but it never fails that I wake up to nurse and I'm FAMISHED.  I guzzle water and try to ignore it but it never helps.  I end up eating anyway.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#3 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Always ALWAYS hungry during the first 6 months of breastfeeding. It's worse than during pregnancy for me. During pregnancy at least I craved specific things (mostly cupcakes), whereas now I just want anything. I expect it will get worse when I start really exercising again.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#4 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

what does your daily intake look like- any tricks to keep up?

#5 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 01:57 PM

OMG yes way worse than during pregnancy.  And now there's that added stress of trying not to overeat to lose the pregnancy weight.

Carrie SAHM to Nora Caitlyn (5) and Finnley Dax (2) homebirthing, breastfeeding, babywearing, intactivist, doula mama!         
#6 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 PM

The first few nights I had to make PB&J and keep it next to the bed, but past the first week I have not woken up starving at night. I am so hungry during the day though and I crave sweet things when when I am BFing :/

Sarah
Mommy to three girls DD 6, DD 3.5,DD 8/2011 & new babe 3/2013, 2 angel.gif's 1/2008 and 8/2010

#7 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM

How funny...I just came here to ask if anyone else is not hungry AT ALL lol.gif DH had me start a food journal and I was only taking in 400-600 calories a day. Obviously I am doing things to fix that, but it feels really gross to eat when I am not hungry in the slightest. The more I up my exercise, the lower my appetite goes...

#8 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

How funny...I just came here to ask if anyone else is not hungry AT ALL lol.gif DH had me start a food journal and I was only taking in 400-600 calories a day. Obviously I am doing things to fix that, but it feels really gross to eat when I am not hungry in the slightest. The more I up my exercise, the lower my appetite goes...

I'm not very hungry, either. I could be fine with two meals a day and some cake ;)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#9 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am oddly not hungry.  When I was pregnant I ate constantly.  Now I sometimes forget to eat for hours and then I'll literally be shaking, but still don't really feel like eating. It's such a dramatic change.  I have to make an effort to get enough calories.

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#10 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Always hungry while pregnant, but now I'm constantly FAMISHED! I'm so happy that I froze so much food before the baby came, and that DH has been home a lot these last couple of weeks. Plus the fact that I'm awake for many more hours per day, I feel like I have to fit at least one more meal in. 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#11 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 06:48 PM

Breastfeeding makes me HUNGRY. I was hungry after my 1st DS was born, but now that I am nursing both of them, I am SUPER hungry! I normally have a big appetite and now it is huge!

#12 of 29 Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 PM

So hungry and tired of feeling like a whale like Carrie said! I end up eating weird things because I never have two hands to make something like a salad. I had turkey burger fro breakfast because my normal of fresh fruit, yogurt, and granola required me to cut up fruit and baby was screaming. Fussy baby is not good for the waistline.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#13 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
yes, and it's bugging me because I'm not losing ANY weight any more. I also feel starving in the night and try to ignore it, but it sucks to add that discomfort to being tired. Luckily, every time I mention it DH tells me I need to eat for the baby. It helps me be more relaxed about the weight.

Our little miracles are here!!joy.gif
energy.gif DD Born 7/15/11 biggrinbounce.gif DS Born 4/3/13
love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Auntie to Nell, Greta, Maggie, and Elsa!

Remembering our 3 losses

#14 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha_Ann View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chaika View Post

I am oddly not hungry.  When I was pregnant I ate constantly.  Now I sometimes forget to eat for hours and then I'll literally be shaking, but still don't really feel like eating. It's such a dramatic change.  I have to make an effort to get enough calories.

NAK:  This is me!  I have no desire to eat; just not hungry most of the time but when I do eat, I want sugary things.  I've had far more cravings during Bfing than during pregnancy--it's so odd.

On the other hand BFing burns an extra 500-650 cal/day so hopefully that will ease some of your minds about taking in the "extra" food while trying to dump baby weight. 

I'm hoping that once I start exercising, my food drive will come back. 

Becky, homebirth.jpg momma to Rafe 8/2/2011,  wife to Sky & mom to our  dog2.gif   dog2.gifcorgis. 

#15 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 08:20 AM

I haven't felt like eating pretty much at all. Mix that with when I actually am hungry, I need to take care of a newborn and I haven't eaten as much as I should be. 

We're running out of already prepared foods, so I'm also going to have to figure out how to cook with a baby... Yeah, I'm totally in over my head. 

-Skye treehugger.gif   http://betweenthebranches.blogspot.com

Mama to Liam (08/29/11)

homebirth.jpg nak.gif femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif  cd.gif

#16 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 08:38 AM

I feel ya'll! I am starving all the time too. And with 3 kids, its hard to eat all the time, since I have 2 toddlers wanting mommy to share... lol

Whats odd, is when I was pregnant, I craved crunchy things, like apples and carrotts, celery, healthy crunchy things.

BFing makes me crave CRAP. Chips, cookies, cake, ugh....

Lisa ~ Wife to Stephen caffix.gif (5/23/04) ~ Mama to Lincoln Barneswave.gif (10/10/07), Gabriel Normanbabyf.gif(12/8/09)  and Ella Louisette baby.gif(8/14/2011)~ CMP angel.gif (12/8/08 at 8.6 weeks).

#17 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 AM

I am glad to see that I am not alone. I can not believe how hungry I have been. Like it seriously doesn't stop!! I dropped quite a bit of weight right after I had him and was hoping the last 10lbs would just fall off as well but now I am worried about gaining weight back.

And I also have been craving crap. Plus it doesn't help being home by myself and not really being able to prepare a meal. So I end up eating something quick and not as healthy as I would like.

I just did not expect to feel hungrier than when I was pregnant. Its weird.

Wife to N for 6 years, mama to jog.gif Jude 08/11, angel.gif 03/13, angel1.gif 09/13
#18 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 09:45 AM

Omg yes!  Very hungry and I find it really challenging to eat healthy foods, so I start craving sugary things.  When I eat well--lots of protein, fruit, veg, etc then I crave junk less.  But, it is sooo hard to fix food when DS wants to be held a lot and DD wants attention.  I am happy to say that even though sleep is poor and I feel crazy about half of the time, I am loosing weight and am almost back to my pre-pregnancy weight!  I am tandem nursing, which I am sure is helping with the weight loss, but it also makes me feel touched out at times.  I am also drinking lots of coffee!  Helps with the sleeplessness.  

I remember with DD that DP would come home and ask me what I did all day and I would tell him that I nursed DD all day and that was it and I would be EXHAUSTED.  Now, it is the same, but I also have to tend, run after and otherwise entertain DD.  It makes me even more tired, but I figure that DS will start to develop somewhat of a pattern soon, which will help (I hope).

Partner  partners.gif(10 years) Mother to Lily hearts.gif (4 years), Jonas babyboy.gif (1.5 years),  1 dog , and 1 cat 

#19 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tear78 View Post

yes, and it's bugging me because I'm not losing ANY weight any more. I also feel starving in the night and try to ignore it, but it sucks to add that discomfort to being tired. Luckily, every time I mention it DH tells me I need to eat for the baby. It helps me be more relaxed about the weight.

I will chime in here too and say eat for the baby.  You are gorgeous.  You need food.  Eat.  You took 9 months to put it ON, please take at least 9 months to take it off.

and now the big sis will go leave you alone...

Mama to Nell (11/15/06) and Maggie (10/9/10) . AFTER 2.5 YEARS, I AM AN AUNTIE!!! joy.gifHOORAY TEAR78 and welcome Anika and Brand New Baby Boy!!!!  Circumcision: the more you know, the worse it is; please leave the decision up to your son!

#20 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlyle View Post

I will chime in here too and say eat for the baby.  You are gorgeous.  You need food.  Eat.  You took 9 months to put it ON, please take at least 9 months to take it off.

and now the big sis will go leave you alone...

loo, thanks, Sis! blowkiss.gif You're right, of course.

love.giflove.gif Keep growing healthy and strong, beautiful little fighter babies!!!

Remembering our 3 losses

#21 of 29 Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ABSOLUTLEY- you have to eat 500 extra calories to make enough milk.  Weight is a non-issue at this point- it will come off - believe me, once you have a toddler there will be NO time to eat!!!  I have no problem with the eating part- just the not exercising a lot part - that's when I need to reind myself to keep it in check for now....

#22 of 29 Old 09-10-2011, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

wished again I had brought a snack upstairs with me last night - hungry every time I woke to nurse but didnt want to risk missing a sleep opportunity to go downstairs to eat

#23 of 29 Old 09-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

ABSOLUTLEY- you have to eat 500 extra calories to make enough milk.  Weight is a non-issue at this point- it will come off - believe me, once you have a toddler there will be NO time to eat!!!  I have no problem with the eating part- just the not exercising a lot part - that's when I need to reind myself to keep it in check for now....

Thanks love.gif Yeah, exercising would help it all feel better I think. Today I took a 2 hour walk. oh man, it was nice, but now I'm WIPED. lol...

Remembering our 3 losses

#24 of 29 Old 09-11-2011, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

2 hours is a long walk for a postpartum lady :) - not that im not tempted ...

Been eating huge bowls of ice cream with walnuts before bed to curb the hunger and feed my soul :)

#25 of 29 Old 09-11-2011, 06:44 AM

I feel like I'm hollow all the way down to my feet.  I don't think I've been full or satisfied since giving birth.  Yesterday I'm sitting on the couch nursing, and asked DH to get me food from the kitchen.  He comes back with an APPLE. irked.gif  I didn't want to seem ungrateful or rude, so I ate it, but that was just insulting.

Then at night, we sat down to watch Star Trek: TNG and he comes out of the kitchen with a pb&j for himself and I said it would have been nice if you made one for me too.  He said, "you just had a spoonful of peanut butter, I didn't think you were still hungry."

shake.gif When will he learn???

#26 of 29 Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I feel like I'm hollow all the way down to my feet.  I don't think I've been full or satisfied since giving birth.  Yesterday I'm sitting on the couch nursing, and asked DH to get me food from the kitchen.  He comes back with an APPLE. irked.gif  I didn't want to seem ungrateful or rude, so I ate it, but that was just insulting.

Then at night, we sat down to watch Star Trek: TNG and he comes out of the kitchen with a pb&j for himself and I said it would have been nice if you made one for me too.  He said, "you just had a spoonful of peanut butter, I didn't think you were still hungry."

me too- NEVER ever full since giving birth- dont even know if im capable of filling this hollow belly!!!!  DH pissed me off the other pm- Im sitting there nursing, covered in pee, poop, throw up, night sweats, blood- the whole works and it's 6:30 pm - I tell him i need a shower and he says "dont take too long- im starving"-- REALLY!!!!!??!?!!?????  WTF-  I slammed a few doors on that one- and he was 'upset" with me for 'how i acted".  You think he could once come home and say"you must be hungry - could i get something for you??"  NEVER

#27 of 29 Old 09-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

I've been watching Star Trek: TNG while nursing, too! smile.gif Sorry your DH doesn't seem to understand the bottomless pit. blowkiss.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by nald1 View Post

2 hours is a long walk for a postpartum lady :) - not that im not tempted ...

true...but I'm 2 months out. I couldn't do SQUAT the first weeks. redface.gif

Remembering our 3 losses

#28 of 29 Old 09-11-2011, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I've been watching Star Trek: TNG while nursing, too! smile.gif Sorry your DH doesn't seem to understand the bottomless pit. blowkiss.gif

true...but I'm 2 months out. I couldn't do SQUAT the first weeks. redface.gif

oh- Im 2 weeks tomorrow - Im hoping to be running after my 6 week appt- i might have to be restrained to not do it before then :)!!!!  Feels so great to not be in my exhausted pregnanty body anymore that I just want to MOVE!!

#29 of 29 Old 10-04-2011, 01:41 AM

I'm starving all the time too....and all I have been eating is junk....I keep trying to regulate myself and try to eat better but when I get famished I grab the worst things.  I hate to admit it but I'm actually starting to gain more weight and for someone who is already overweight this is a nightmare.

I'm hoping to start exercising soon once I mentally prepare myself....hopefully soon .

Momma to GG (dd - 14 yrs old), Active (ds - 10 yrs old), Toon (dd - 8 years old), Olive (ds - 5 years old), Princess (dd - 4 years old) and babyboy.gif Keemo (ds - 24 days old)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page