Latch Issues - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, since Inalia ended up in the NICU for the first couple of days we had to bottle feed her pumped milk and supp lament with formula in order to get her out and into pedes so we could take her home.  She prefers BM to formula, thank goodness.  But she prefers the bottle to the breast.  Luckily she is off formula all together now but since she is used to the bottle nipple BFing is seriously painful for me.  I read in my BFing book that they get lazy and don't position their tongues correctly to suck and as a consequence they put too much pressure on your breast.  I just don't know how to fix it!  I will try to talk to the lactation consultant when we go in for her 2 wk apt dr on Friday but I'm worried she won't change and Idk if I can deal with the pain it causes for more than a few weeks/months... maybe...  Anyone else having a problem with this?  I really don't want her exclusively on the bottle for lots of reasons. But it HURTS!

First time mama!  belly.gif
#2 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM

I haven't had this problem, but I think breast shields are designed to help with latch issues. Maybe another mama with more experience can corroborate and expand on that?

Hugs to you!!!

~Erica~ Married to the love of my life ~ Mama to Nickolas jog.gif6/14/09 and Alexander 8/4/11 and Aiden brokenheart.gifgone too soon at 14 weeks~    

fly-by-nursing1.gifselectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif
#3 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have actually been using a breast shield.  It was pretty much the only way I could get her to latch at all.  Except for having my husband standing there pouting milk over my breast as we tried to get her on...  Which was tough!  But my first bruise was with that nipple guard and now she bruises me with or without it.  crap.gif

#4 of 7 Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I was wondering in the interim you could contact someone from your local LLL. That way you wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks. hug2.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoetryLover View Post

I was wondering in the interim you could contact someone from your local LLL. That way you wouldn't have to wait 2 weeks. hug2.gif

truedat.gif  I have been emailing w the LLL group leader here - very responsive and also available over the phone if I need it. So, if you consider this route while waiting, I do recommend it. It also says online if you do not like the particular person you talk to, call around to other LLL contacts. Bruising sounds very painful - a BIG hug to you and much admiration for trying this hard for your sweet babe!

#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the Dr apt is actually tomorrow!  (Babe is 2 weeks) so I don't have to actually wait 2 weeks, I'm not always so clear....  Sorry :-p

So, I think I'll see what I can learn there because I LOVED the LC and she helped SO much.  After that I think I will try LLL, even though my Dr warned me against them.  Hahahaha it's sooo crazy how Docs and groups like Bradley and LLL are so pitted against each other!  I loved my Bradley class and I like my Dr, I think I got what I needed from both and didn't get hate messages from Bradley towards Dr's at all. 

I'm mostly nervous about venturing out to a meeting since I haven't taken her out in the car without another person with me...  But I'll get over that soon enough I guess...  Groceries don't buy themselves...  I also didn't remember LLL can be done over the phone.  So that's probably the best way to start!

Gee Wiz I wish this was easier!

Thanks for all the tips :-)

#7 of 7 Old 09-08-2011, 02:16 PM

I'd second LLL as a good resource. With LO1 I saw a lactation consultant, but she didn't really help at all. It was ideas from the LLL ladies that ended up saving DS's latch. They tend to be pretty crunchy, but if you're here then those ideas won't be anything you're not used to. Some groups are better than others, so be prepared for that. But I would honestly be very wary of any doctor who told you "avoid La Leche League." They are a fabulous resource!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page